Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

therobit posted:

My wife and I went snorkeling in Hawaii last month and she says it’s the best thing she’s ever done. I really enjoyed it as well but we live in Portland, Oregon so it would be cold water stuff here. I have always kind of wanted to go scuba diving though and I think if we are already going to need wetsuits, mask, and snorkel then I am clearing one of the big hurdles as far as being a fat guy trying to scuba dive with rented equipment. While she isn’t enthused about SCUBA because she is apprehensive about the awesome power of the ocean, she said she’d be willing to do it with me if I really wanted to.

Anyhow does anybody know of a dive shop with good selection and instructors in the Portland area? Literally none of them seem to have online stores so I can’t see their selection and frankly most of their web sites suck. Since I don’t really hang out with anyone who dives I don’t have anyone to ask about where to find a good instructor.

All the good dive shops have terrible online stores and look like a mad wizards den.

I lived in Portland for awhile, but I'm in Seattle now. Many of the shops in Salem/Portland do their diving in the Puget Sound (there's actually a lot of good diving there, lots to see, easy sites). I know of some shops in Seattle but you would need to drive up for the open water days (which you may have to do anyway).

Also, nobody uses a wetsuit in the PNW, everyone dives dry.

asur posted:

If someone is hesitant about scuba, I would absolutely not take the training in cold water and it would be even worse if visibility is bad. It's potentially cheaper and doesn't use vacation time to train locally, but cold and bad conditions can definitely sour someone on the entire experience.

I agree with this, and I'm near-exclusively a cold water diver. learned in cold water in the PNW in the winter, and you have to be dedicated to have a good first experience. It's cold as gently caress, your wetsuit is immovably thick, you have like 40 pounds of lead, and viz goes to hell as you bounce off the bottom. The environment was absolutely miserable. However, once I got in a drysuit (which you should do immediately if you're in the PNW), life was good and I got used to the cold in like 10 dives.

I only hit warm water for the first time months after I started and it was so easy by comparison.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I were you, I might just look for a piece of poo poo 7mm used wetsuit somewhere, accept that you're going to use it just for your four open water dives, and then start renting dry suits in the PNW for subsequent dives. Especially if you've never been in a cold-water wetsuit before, some of the 7mm farmer john + jacket are extremely constricting, you can't breathe fully, arms don't bend well (and you've got thick gloves to contend with, which makes the mask removal skill a lot harder. It adds a lot of extra stress to the open water class.

Looking back at my open water logs, I was in the water for 24-27 minutes in 55f water (four dives).

Another option for your wife is that you could take open water by yourself locally, get your card, and then when you're somewhere tropical you could do discover scuba together (rather, she would be in discover, you would be doing a regular open water dive but you can just stay with her the entire time), and then she can go through open water later if she enjoyed the experience.

lord1234 posted:

You misspelled thousands.

Yeah, I was wondering where people were getting a $500 dry suit. Mine ran around $2k

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 2, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you go to Oahu, do the OWD and then see if you can get a charter to the 'sea cave' (not a cave, a pass-through cavern).

It's not really a cave, it's a (overhead) pass-through that's about 75 feet across that opens up into a big open-water chamber and then passes back out the other side onto a reef. Current pushes you through it a bit like a mild drift, and reef sharks like to hang out in the dark edges of the cave during the day.

It's technically overhead so I wouldn't do it unless you feel competent, but it's big, wide, and straight, so you can't get lost/silt it out.

Video still of ~sharks~. Swam up to me and then darted off

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 7, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

joebuddah posted:

I just watched the Deep House. A thriller movie about a couple who goes diving to explore a mansion that was flooded to make a lake.

There any Midwest locations that has something like that where I can dive and explore legally?

Aren’t there a bunch of sunken old steamboats around the Great Lakes?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Trivia posted:

If you're going to dive without a guide then I highly recommend buying your own SMB and compass. And, of course, review how to use it.

I'd get an SMB anyway, they're cheap and you never know if you'll get lost/separated/swept away/etc.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any worthwhile diving in Bali?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I've heard people talk about the Liberty, but I think general consensus is that if you're in Indonesia to dive there are better places but if you want to visit Bali and also dive there is stuff to see

Yeah, I'll already be in the area, was thinking of trying to squeeze a dive day in.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I shoot with a GoPro and flip filters if you want something super compact and pretty cheap.

I shoot wide because I like the “being there” wide shot. Like I’m trying to capture the feeling of the experience more than a specific subject.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
People I dive with use the Mares Puck Pro as an entry-level watch, though everyone moved quickly to an AI Teric.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone happen to know the best way to stop the splitting of a wrist cuff on a Fourth Element wetsuit? It's tiny, but don't want it to grow.

Apparently it's glideskin material. Maybe a dab of Aqua Seal?

Side note, I was looking at an Axxe wetsuit the other day (like $800 Japanese custom) for surfing and the arm seams were glued and stitched but not taped -- any reason why no tape?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 4, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have one of these and I can fit an entire kit, including 3mm wetsuit, gloves, boots, DSMB, GoPro kit, and a few random accessories. Carried the entire thing and my Mares Avanti Quattro's in an overhead bin.

https://www.amazon.com/AKONA-Globetrotter-by-Akona/dp/B01M32S1J5

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So I'm looking at finally buying my first reg/octo and bcd. It's tough because I'm not a tech diver so I don't know what features to look for other than "functions properly". The only complaints about the rental gear I've used in the past is when something was broken or I was weighted poorly. So that being said, how about the Cressi starter pack? I've used Cressi before and it was fine, and this seems like a reasonable price: https://www.divers-supply.com/cressi-scuba-system-package-2.html

Any advice welcome.

Get poo poo from your local shop because they know how to service it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Kesper North posted:

I want a drysuit so I can dive in my local (Seattle-area) waters. I am also very very fat. Any advice on drysuit brands for plus-sized people?

(I have been drysuit certified for a decade plus, just never actually owned one before.)

I used a Mobby’s 7mil custom in Seattle, no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

poisonpill posted:

How long until Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is all bleached?

Oh, you’ve probably got until at least 2004.