Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skipdogg posted:

Anyone here with a very large Nutanix deployment? (3K+ VM's?).

I'm sure it's gotten better in the last 4 years, but is it really ready for big enterprise?

an MSP adjacent to me just got done moving a maaaaaaassive customer OFF of Nutanix in order to have some essentials (like uptime) and better features (like useful support). Idk man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Potato Salad posted:

an MSP adjacent to me just got done moving a maaaaaaassive customer OFF of Nutanix in order to have some essentials (like uptime) and better features (like useful support). Idk man.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable at all with it, but I'm not in that department. Trying to decide if I get involved or not. Internal stuff I've read... some folks think Nutanix is going to be our saviour. I'll run it by my boss, he's pretty saavy at the political stuff.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

skipdogg posted:

The PRISM software left a lot to be desired

:nsa:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've always been skeptical of HCI solutions in general as all the implementations seem to be extremely fragile. They're often reliant on one or more black-box appliances which hide a lot of complicated moving-parts that you can't easily diagnose or troubleshoot without vendor support.

Also as mentioned upgrades can take an extremely long time which is an issue not unique to Nutanix. A couple years ago I upgraded a pair of three-node Cisco HyperFlex (It's a HCI layer on top of VMware ESXi running on Cisco UCS) clusters and each one took about 16 hours to complete. Admittedly it was simple and fully orchestrated but still I had to stare at progress bars for 16 hours.

Maybe there's a niche for HCI, maybe running VDI (The HyperFlex clusters I upgraded were solely for Horizon VDI), but for workloads that you care about it seems like a big gamble.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I feel like the best use case for HCI is smaller installations with no or little existing infrastructure.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Anybody considering Red Hat OpenShift Virtualization (or kubevirt on some other flavor of k8s) as a VMware alternative? Seems worth kicking the tires especially if your org is already running clusters.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kaddish posted:

I feel like the best use case for HCI is smaller installations with no or little existing infrastructure.

agreed, and that's where we use it

propping up a new environment with VMware and, say, Pure storage introduces a lot of single points of failure (that also prevent maintenance during business hours) unless you are spending above half a million dollars. ESXi + VSAN or Hyper-V + S2D allows you to give somebody storage and compute at, heck, $30-60k per node depending on how much storage and ram density is needed. replace old nodes on a rolling basis and suddenly you have a situation that resembles a cloud deployment but way cheaper.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool how MS don't give a single poo poo about developing that product any further unless you fancy tying it all into Azure

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Does it really matter if the upgrades take a long time. That's just how things work with a multinode clusters where the upgrades can and should be done one piece at a time. Last month I upgraded a few ESXi clusters and it took days, but it was just several steps of clicking few buttons and then going off to do something else while all the services were working fine the whole time. Just set an alarm in half an hour so you remember to check if you can proceed to the next step.

Are there any non-trivial clusters that aren't just collection of black boxes. Even if it was open source it will be complicated enough only few people will understand how it works. A breakroom axiom from work is that when you build a fancy high-availability cluster you just get a new and unexpected ways for everything to break down. But I have to admit I am really surprised how well VMware has worked for the past decade that I've been dealing with it. It has been more realiable than many of the simple clusters I've had to deal with during that time. Thankfully that intraweb cluster where both nodes had to be started exactly at the same time was before my time. I've heard the story how two guys were standing in front of turned off servers and yelling "1, 2, 3, START!" and hoping they timed it right. At least nowadays the simple clusters work pretty well, but it hasn't been long time since I still had a cluster where the service IP moved between the nodes right as planned, it just forgot to tell the rest of the world where the IP was now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Thanks Ants posted:

It's cool how MS don't give a single poo poo about developing that product any further unless you fancy tying it all into Azure

I mean… why would they? It’s a gateway drug to azure and it’s great for the bajillion enterprise customers migrating over time from WinServer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm a babe in the proxmox woods, but I haven't found anything about this by searching or reading config files, so I'll supplicate here to the virtualization gods:

I want to set up login to the proxmox web interface such it searches multiple auth domains ("Linux PAM standard authentication" and "Proxmox VE authentication server") and the user doesn't have to select the one they're in. Is that viable, or should I find a way to unify the users somehow?

(I don't care about how conflicting usernames are handled, because I won't have any that aren't the same user.)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are really trying to do here? That sounds cumbersome...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Skimming the documentation suggests that multiple auth sources means configuring them as different realms, and those are presented in a dropdown on the login page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wibla posted:

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are really trying to do here? That sounds cumbersome...

I have some users who use the web interface to log in and do things like restart a specific VM or access one VM’s console, and I’m trying to simplify the login process so they don’t have to pick a realm. These users are defined with the proxmox UI and live in that realm, but root and I live in the PAM realm. I just want to hide that complexity because it’s not relevant to them.

Thanks Ants posted:

Skimming the documentation suggests that multiple auth sources means configuring them as different realms, and those are presented in a dropdown on the login page.

Yeah, that’s the situation I’m in right now that I want to simplify.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

skipdogg posted:

Anyone here with a very large Nutanix deployment? (3K+ VM's?). Obviously we're looking at a potential exit from Vmware like every other company.

theres a guy in this very thread who had an absolute dog poo poo time with nutanix, it's a wild read

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Subjunctive posted:

I have some users who use the web interface to log in and do things like restart a specific VM or access one VM’s console, and I’m trying to simplify the login process so they don’t have to pick a realm. These users are defined with the proxmox UI and live in that realm, but root and I live in the PAM realm. I just want to hide that complexity because it’s not relevant to them.

Yeah, that’s the situation I’m in right now that I want to simplify.

Put a Netscaler in front of it and I could do that all day long for you with a AAA vip..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Saukkis posted:

Does it really matter if the upgrades take a long time.

it does when your hyperconverged infrastructure isn't smart enough to account for an extended delay and starts ejecting nodes from the storage and metadata rings because they didn't reboot quickly enough during a "one click" upgrade.

Harry_Potato posted:

Put a Netscaler in front of it and I could do that all day long for you with a AAA vip..

Absolutely do not suggest touching Netscaler right now given all the bullshit going on at Citrix. They were already a very neglected business unit before going private and it definitely hasn't gotten better. Simple reverse proxy (and even basic AAA) is such a solved problem odds are you can do it on a firewall you already got on the edge in the first place.