Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There’s no need to look at their hardware business, which is something they actually care about and invest in. This a play where they identified a company that was undervalued compared to the possible profits they could extract. They can cut development costs to the bone and jack up prices on a captive market (as they said they would in investor docs when they put the offer out.) It is the same pattern as their CA and Symantec acquisitions. They’re really good at this. They’ll get enough out to pay for the acquisition and some cash to funnel into their core business and buybacks.

Every one of those on prem is cheaper than cloud articles in the last few years is an indicator to these types that there’s profit that they’re missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DevNull posted:

Hock Tan said over and over that their plan was to stop dealing with all the smaller businesses an focus only on the top customers. That is how they operate with hardware, and they are applying the same formula for VMware.

Yeah, I absolutely understand that, I remember that being said before the acquisition, but I do think they're misjudging this, but what do I know?
It doesn't seem great they're burning bridges left and right with companies that are some of their largest resellers like HPE and Dell

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft 100% do not have the ability to take advantage of this and make a vCenter equivalent that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out, and license it sensibly.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft 100% do not have the ability to take advantage of this and make a vCenter equivalent that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out, and license it sensibly.

That sounds lower margin than Azure and subscriptions. Is it going to sell more E5 subs? If not, pass.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I think Broadcom has misjudged how many VMware customers are willing to ditch VMware and have the teams/skills to do it. IT tends to work in cycles and I'm sure a lot of IT teams are going to make decisions at their next hardware refresh. This kind of change works best when you greenfield it and VMware is giving all their customers a chance to try new things out and see if they can tell VMware by Broadcom to kick rocks.

It was probably not a good idea to roll up at the beginning saying that they intend to soak their big customers. I can see a lot of their customers kicking the tires on alternatives specifically because they feel taken advantage of.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Broadcom has officially killed free ESXi now.

Not that this is a surprise to anybody at this point, but there it is.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
If your workload is linux or java based may i interest you in an enterprise server alternative that comes with the very best hypervisor in the world, and also is the only one im aware of thats EAL5+ certified ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/linuxone-4-express-how-ibm-s-budget-mainframe-could-be-right-for-you/ar-BB1iaIUH

apparently i need to note that this is sarcasm because some people will take me seriously again if i dont

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kreeblah posted:

Broadcom has officially killed free ESXi now.

Not that this is a surprise to anybody at this point, but there it is.

Welp, gonna get harder to find talent that know how to use ESXi right out the gate. Damned shame.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Not much reason for the youth to learn anyway. It's going the way of COBOL.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Its all node frameworks on serverless these days. Infrastructure is irrelevant, grandpa.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fresh_cheese posted:

Its all node frameworks on serverless these days. Infrastructure is irrelevant, grandpa.

Joking aside: Yeah, no its not.

And there's hypervisors underneath that poo poo too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

At least not where I live; all of the new guys learn ESXi and vCenter as part of their education, and can apply it immediately in the workplace. That's going to be irrelevant in future, as all the customers in the market we serve won't be in Broadcom's exclusive club.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zorak of Michigan posted:

VMware hasn't touched their educational license agreements, which are all subs. All of their coursework (and testing) kabuki isn't likely to go away, that's a lot of cash for minimal engineering effort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

VMware hasn't touched their educational license agreements, which are all subs. All of their coursework (and testing) kabuki isn't likely to go away, that's a lot of cash for minimal engineering effort.

Give em time, Broadcom has basically sabotaged everything they touch outside of their hardware.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Broadcom vs Oracle - Fight!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

At least not where I live; all of the new guys learn ESXi and vCenter as part of their education, and can apply it immediately in the workplace. That's going to be irrelevant in future, as all the customers in the market we serve won't be in Broadcom's exclusive club.

So the future really does just look like more people using Hyper-V but everything is worse?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I suspect we will see a lot more proxmox over time.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

proxmox felt to me a lot more homelab than enterprise, they'll need to work on that if they want to be a big player in the space, imo

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

There will be the cowards who just sigh and crack open the wallet to give broadcom their extortion money

There will be the subtle troublemakers who start using kvm or hyperV on the downlow and moving stuff there over time, avoiding contact with the broadcom sales people as much as possible

There will be cowboys who declare it all bullshit and start porting their workloads to TheCloud/FreeBSD/OpenVMS/FreeDOS and either win glorious victory or burn half the company down by accident

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

That's what I meant, sorry. A year or two back, if you wanted to do IT, learning VMware made sense. Today, with Broadcom visibly crapping all over it, it might make sense if you had your heart set on doing on-prem stuff, but I could make a case for not bothering. Five years from now, the shops still using it are going to have to accept that they will need to be the ones to train their new hires on it, because nobody will learn it proactively.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have to imagine that Proxmox is salivating at the potential growth opportunity here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have to imagine that Proxmox is salivating at the potential growth opportunity here.

Same. Or someone is going to make a KVM GUI and start muscling in. Maybe it'll motivate XCP to start improving their product too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fresh_cheese posted:

There will be the cowards who just sigh and crack open the wallet to give broadcom their extortion money

There will be the subtle troublemakers who start using kvm or hyperV on the downlow and moving stuff there over time, avoiding contact with the broadcom sales people as much as possible

There will be cowboys who declare it all bullshit and start porting their workloads to TheCloud/FreeBSD/OpenVMS/FreeDOS and either win glorious victory or burn half the company down by accident

There will be CFOs who will insist on running workloads on whatever version of VMware your perpetual license currently entitles you to, even when the company refuses to renew the support agreement

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

There will be CFOs who will insist on running workloads on whatever version of VMware your perpetual license currently entitles you to, even when the company refuses to renew the support agreement

Yup. Its gonna be fun when new CVEs pop up and nobody can patch because they are out of support.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

fresh_cheese posted:

My boss that just retired from VMware was working for Sun when Oracle bought them. He said that wasn't done nearly as poorly. I have heard the same thing from other people. I think a new industry standard has been set.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DevNull posted:

My boss that just retired from VMware was working for Sun when Oracle bought them. He said that wasn't done nearly as poorly. I have heard the same thing from other people. I think a new industry standard has been set.

It's not that Oracle is somehow better, it's that the state of the art for crapping all over people has moved on in the intervening years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

Well, given that Larry Ellison reportedly extracts blood from young people to give himself transfusions, he's probably still more evil.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that Thiel?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't that Thiel?

You know these executive investment guys - they love copying each other.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't that Thiel?
¿Por Qué No Los Dos?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is it just folks who are running high core CPUs getting boned on pricing? Or just rapid large price hike? I mean, I'm not happy my costs are going up, but after going over this, I'm going to forget everything I read about migrating to XCP-NG.

I have a pretty small environment, and getting ready to refresh hosts and shift older poo poo to DR land.

So for vSphere standard, $50/core/year (3 year pricing). Minimum socket-core count is 16.

So with 10x dual CPU (16c each) boxes, im looking at 320c. $50 a pop is $16k annually.

My annual December support renewal for 20 sockets of vSphere standard was less than $7k. Price jump of 250%.

Also, any thoughts on what is going to happen with Horizon? I also run a 400+ seat VDI environment. Hopefully they don't try and rip away the included underlying ESXi licensing for the horizon hosts.

Oh yeah, and use Workspace ONE for MDM, so also waiting to hear bout that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Moey posted:

Also, any thoughts on what is going to happen with Horizon? I also run a 400+ seat VDI environment. Hopefully they don't try and rip away the included underlying ESXi licensing for the horizon hosts.

Most commercial vsphere for desktop skus have evaporated so good luck on that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlowBloke posted:

Most commercial vsphere for desktop skus have evaporated so good luck on that.

Unless I missed something, they pulled all the new perpetual license skus in like 2021, but I believe you are good for a few more years purchasing support/maint for em (2027 is the end maybe?).

I padded myself for growth, and also have headroom from the concurrent user licensing model.

I really hope Citrix doesn't take the EUC line and just slowly dissolve it.

Edit: I'll pull my 2023 renewal tomorrow and see if I am wrong and just made this all up. Last year we added an admin assistant to our department and they kinda went rogue with support contract stuff, not looping people in. Good intentions, but lots handfuls of stuff that needs to be fixed next renewal cycle.

Moey fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 15, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Moey posted:

Unless I missed something, they pulled all the new perpetual license skus in like 2021, but I believe you are good for a few more years purchasing support/maint for em (2027 is the end maybe?).

I padded myself for growth, and also have headroom from the concurrent user licensing model.

I really hope Citrix doesn't take the EUC line and just slowly dissolve it.

Edit: I'll pull my 2023 renewal tomorrow and see if I am wrong and just made this all up. Last year we added an admin assistant to our department and they kinda went rogue with support contract stuff, not looping people in. Good intentions, but lots handfuls of stuff that needs to be fixed next renewal cycle.

Renewal deadlines for perpetual SnS is February if our VAR are not lying, afterwards you can only buy new subscriptions. Until the recent changes at the end of last year, you could still purchase perpetual subs and the attached SnS, VAR scored a lot of fresh sales once the Broadcom acquisition news went public.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 15, 2024

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Moey posted:

Is it just folks who are running high core CPUs getting boned on pricing? Or just rapid large price hike? I mean, I'm not happy my costs are going up, but after going over this, I'm going to forget everything I read about migrating to XCP-NG.

I have a pretty small environment, and getting ready to refresh hosts and shift older poo poo to DR land.

So for vSphere standard, $50/core/year (3 year pricing). Minimum socket-core count is 16.

So with 10x dual CPU (16c each) boxes, im looking at 320c. $50 a pop is $16k annually.

My annual December support renewal for 20 sockets of vSphere standard was less than $7k. Price jump of 250%.

Oh yeah, and use Workspace ONE for MDM, so also waiting to hear bout that.

Yes. Yes we are. I highly recommend exploring alternatives, regardless of the pricing. I dare even say HyperV if you're looking to leverage Datacenter Server 2022/2025 licensing.

I have a multi domain UCS environment coming up on EOL (B200 M4/M5), something like 3000 VM's. I'll sanitize/round for the sake of making it digestible.
My quote for 2,500 cores, standard vSphere, vCenter, and special VDI licensing (10,000 users) went from $1.2m in August to $5.5million last week. 5 years commit.
We're a non-profit and that's money that won't go into patient care. We are obviously exploring options. (edited to include VDI)

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 17, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hyper-V as a stand-alone product is going away.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Is there a distinction between windows based workloads and linux based workload in terms likely options?

I feel like theres probably less options for windows based environments, but thats based on gut feel not real experience.

It just seems like you can virtualize linux a whole bunch of ways and get decent performance but not so much with windows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fresh_cheese posted:

Is there a distinction between windows based workloads and linux based workload in terms likely options?

I feel like theres probably less options for windows based environments, but thats based on gut feel not real experience.

It just seems like you can virtualize linux a whole bunch of ways and get decent performance but not so much with windows.

Depends, but for most Hypervisors the only difference is how the base is configured for the guest OS. You can get decent performance with virtualized Windows too, enough that I've been able to do medium to heavy duty gaming on a virtualized And Windows instance with GPU passthrough on XCP-NG

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Hyper-V as a stand-alone product is going away.

Correct - Hyper-V Server 2019 is the last stand-alone product. For reference, we currently have 100ish Hyper-V hosts ranging from 12 cores, up to 96. In January it was announced Hyper-V will remain as a feature in Server 2025, with new and improved features such as hot patching and NVMEoF. We've got a meeting scheduled with MS to discuss their current plan - as like many other companies, we were told very bluntly all R+D went into Azure Stack HCI and that it was not a 1:1 transition for an org of our size. Hence our initial vSphere and now, AHV migration.

But I would strongly caution running Hyper-V in an environment larger than 4 hosts and absolutely not with life-critical systems on it. There's not a team member I work with who hasn't started loosing their hair due to MS nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

the spyder posted:

Correct - Hyper-V Server 2019 is the last stand-alone product. For reference, we currently have 100ish Hyper-V hosts ranging from 12 cores, up to 96. In January it was announced Hyper-V will remain as a feature in Server 2025, with new and improved features such as hot patching and NVMEoF. We've got a meeting scheduled with MS to discuss their current plan - as like many other companies, we were told very bluntly all R+D went into Azure Stack HCI and that it was not a 1:1 transition for an org of our size. Hence our initial vSphere and now, AHV migration.

But I would strongly caution running Hyper-V in an environment larger than 4 hosts and absolutely not with life-critical systems on it. There's not a team member I work with who hasn't started loosing their hair due to MS nonsense.

It's as expected and feared. Of course Microsoft will drop the ball on this opportunity.

It'll be interesting to hear what Microsoft has to say.