Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I'm a little confused about labs for the Stanly class. I just whipped through 10 of them in a 6 hours of reservation. I was worried that I'd have to be jockeying for time to get all the labs done, but if I look for the next few days there are zero reservations. Aren't we all sharing the same two pods in the class? Is everybody just lazy and not doing anything with the class yet? I assume that we have two pods at least, I can only see ICM_POD_241 and ICM_EQ3_POD15. Does it matter which I choose?

Also how do they know we've completed the labs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

demonachizer posted:

I am pretty sure they never check if you completed the labs. I took it last session and emailed the dude to confirm that the only things they grade on are the labs and the quizzes the teacher said yes and then offered to reset my environment. I hadn't even finished half way. I got the impression that they probably just mark everyone who completes quizzes as completing and make you eligible to take the test.

The reservations are just to ensure that you don't leave it running when not using I think. I have never seen another reservation listed.

Quoted from the Class Sections part of the course website:

quote:

Q. Is lab progress tracked?

A. Yes. We can see what you do in the labs, no need to send an email or anything, the instructor knows.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My domain is blah.thing.edu. Because blah is also the name of my department at the school of thing, it's the URL of our public website and other things. That means I can't have AD update the DNS a records for blah.thing.edu. So I manually made ad.blah.thing.edu with two A records pointing to my two domain controllers, which is what MS DNS does on its own with blah.thing.edu if you let it.

So I put ad.blah.thing.edu as the auth server for VMware SSO, and today for reasons one of our domain controllers was down. While the DC was down vCenter was unable to authenticate. How is this "supposed" to be setup to authenticate against AD?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The SRV records are all setup properly, it's just that one A record I had to manually create myself.

As for the outage, it was since Saturday (which I just discovered today, lol monitoring). As for the actual error message, I didn't save it, but it said something about not being able to reach identity source.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have all the SRV records in DNS properly. The domain itself functions fine, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be usingn to populate the server list for SSO.

If I put in the IPs of the individual domain controllers, I can't every change the domain controllers, because as far as I can tell there's no way to change the servers for an identity source.

If I use the A record for the domain, it won't work if one of the domain controllers is down, which ignores the whole point of having a hostname with multiple A records.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I've got a vCenter 5.1 install, and I want 5.5, should I upgrade or setup a new server?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've only got 3 hosts and about 80 VMs, so not that complicated either.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So here's a philosophical question, on whether to visualize or not.

I'm setting up some NoMachine products on Linux, which is essentially VDI. The nodes are licensed per core, be they virtual or physical cores. I'm thinking about some of the traditional reasons to virtualize, and they don't really apply here. I don't need to worry about under utilizing a piece of hardware, because it will have host exactly as many desktops as it can handle, be it virtually or physically. Redundancy doesn't matter, because there will be multiple hosts, if a piece of hardware dies the worst that happens is someone's session dies (which, if it was hosted on a VM on that host would also happen). Cost of VMware licensing could be a concern, but in this case because it's for educational use there's no additional cost.

Any thoughts on which way I should go with this?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Honestly, I don't think it should be that big of a priority. Connecting with RDP is much better from a management perspective. If I want to connect to a machine I don't have to worry about if it's physical or virtual or where it might life, I just connect to it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DevNull posted:

A new vSphere beta just launched yesterday: https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere-beta

It is available to anyone, but not "open" because you still have to sign the NDA and can't talk about it in public.

So is this a Beta of something like vSphere 6.0 or some lesser intermediate product?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Moey posted:

I was under the impression Dell licenses were OEM (maybe only if bundled with a server), thus your support is through Dell, not VMware. Never had to test this, but we have two sockets that purchased with a server through Dell.

For the rest of our VMware stuff, it all goes through CDW.

Dell can do it either way. They can sell it OEM so that your support goes through them, or they can just be a VMware reseller.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a firm definition of what exactly is and isn't VDI?

I've been telling my boss that VDI specifically is something where desktops are virtual and created when a user logs on and destroyed when they log off. My boss says it's just anything where you connect to a desktop that is hosted from a central server/cluster.

I hate it when my boss is right, but maybe he's right on this one?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I hate it when he's right.

Anyway, we're rolling out a Linux Desktop thing that is basically like a Terminal Server but for Linux desktops, and he wants to advertise it as VDI. I have (incorrectly, it seems) argued that it's not VDI so we shouldn't advertise it as such. I still don't think we should advertise it as such, because it doesn't mean anything to a normal person and doesn't inform them as to the capabilities of the service we're providing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The second one.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'll just nth that I have no idea what you're talking about when you say clustered DC is. The basic design of Active Directory is redundant, you just stand up as many Domain controllers as you feel you need. Two is a minimum, but depending on things you could need more. AD doesn't depend on any single domain controller being up (assuming you don't hardcode some third party product to point directly at a specific DC) it just depends on A domain controller to be up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I would just advise to walk before you run. Failover clustering isn't that hard, at least not on paper, but I wouldn't say it's step 1. First make sure your existing stuff isn't all hosed and that you have the skill to unfuck it, and then move on to clustering.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We're chomping at the bit for vGPU, since we have a 20 host GPU backed Citrix cluster.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm not 100% sure it does but I'm like 99% sure, since our virt guy was talking about and how it meant we no longer had to pin our GPU backed VMs to the specific host.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
PowerCLI is pretty powerful and can do basically anything you want to a machine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So silly DevOps question: does the methodology have any value outside of delivering an in house software product to "customers" (be those internal, external, whatever). I think there's some value in automating the creation of new infrastructure and having more easily replaced cattle and fewer hand curated pets, but at the end of the day I don't interface with any devs whatsoever, I'm only deploying black boxes that I can't really look inside.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adorai posted:

His question is likely for shops that don't have internal development. My company for instance, doesn't really develop anything in house, we just use off the shelf products. It's the kind of place where IT is a "cost center"

Exactly. My team manages Active Directory and Microsoft System Center and random requests for Windows servers but there's no developers handing us anything. Are we the knuckle draggers of IT, destined to be replace by some fancy cloud service?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's not like "flash us awful" is some kind of minority opinion. Hell, it's pretty much a fact. I don't think we need your corporate white knighting here evol.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh no you're giving me flashbacks to the time I had to do maintenance on a 24 host Sun cluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evol262 posted:

I have never seen a group of people who take someone disagreeing with them as personally as SH/SC. "I disagree and here's why" isn't "you're stupid and here's why", but this is ace ignoring of any/all helpful posts I've made all over the place.

My "MO" is to say what I think. It's never intended as a superiority thing. If the way I post bothers you, maybe you should just ignore me instead of complaining about it in multiple threads.

"Decisions made in the development practices of enterprise software happen for X, Y, and Z reasons" is also applicable to the web client.

You seem to have setup this strawman where someone has said "oh wow I can't imagine why VMware would do that they must all be braindead idiots" when in fact that is not what has been said.

Let's put it this way. Please state the position that you are arguing against here.