Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I heave heard that people use VMware for their virtualization, and then Citrix for the remoting instead of using View.

What is it that Citrix does better? How do they compare under low bandwidth connections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Crossposting from the IT Certification thread, but someone here works for VMware, right? This is pretty much the biggest pie in the sky request, but if you could, please put a bug in someone's ear that a poorly organized hard to decipher Google Docs (inaccurate) spreadsheet linked from vmware.com is a terrible drat way to get information about schools that teach a VCP curriculum out to prospective students :(

Pretty late to this party, but I work at VMware. I have no clue what group I would even need to talk to, but I can fish around for some help. At the very least, I know some people over on the web marketing team.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there anything about doing GPU offload for vmware view?
http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2012/01/enhancing-graphics-processing-with-teradici-pcoip-host-cards-and-vmware-view.html

I see this I am just wondering if anyone here has experiences with this.

Do you have an e-mail or PMs so I can talk to you about this?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Naes posted:

Can anyone comment on how well a virtual machine can handle 3d games (diablo 3, dota 2, etc)?

I realize that playing games is not really the aim of virtualization but wondering how well it work assuming I gave the virtual machine enough power.

I think there are some known issues with Diablo 3. I am not sure about dota2. You are fairly safe playing games that are a few years old.

It is the part of the aim of virtualization though. Mostly on the hosted stuff. For now. I worked on the 3D side of things for VMware for several years. Now I am over on the remoting side of things. So I am very familiar with this aspect of the product.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd put in a vote for vSphere Client is complete poo poo at rendering anything.

Don't worry, the Flex UI is the future!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Is it ok for me to now say that a lot of engineers at VMware were really pissed off by the vRAM licensing? It's wasn't just the customers.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Oh, new Workstation and Fusion are out.
WS9: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/overview.html
Fusion 5: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

edit:
Hmm, Fusion 5 Pro: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/professional.html
I didn't know about that happening.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2012

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

BnT posted:

I'm a little mad about that. I personally bought WS8 only 6 months ago and it's not eligible for a free upgrade.

That sucks. :(

If you upgrade now, you should be good for basically 2 years though. WS is a pretty reliable schedule of once a year. So odd years, you have a free upgrade of an x.5 release. Even years you have the paid upgrade with a new version number. Follow the beta a little and you can tell about when they will come out. I can't really tell people when exactly when individual releases will happen.

edit: ESX is on a pretty regular schedule too. Don't ask about 4.0 though.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 23, 2012

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I won't say anything about the client usability, but the console for your VM will be much better.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

People actually use that after setup? Serious question.

The only consoles I use are for my local fusion VMs.

Have you not used the console because it sucked, or because there was never a need to?

If you never used it before it sucked, that issue should be gone. The remote console is the same that is in WS. Connecting to an ESX VM with WS gives a really good experience. I guess VMworld has a demo setup of Borderlands playing on an ESX machines, connected to it with WS9 which just released. I am headed up tomorrow to check it out.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Never a need: we just punch in an IP and RDP forever after. And once you have vmwtools installed it's pretty good.

OK, well this way you don't have to use RDP if you won't want to. It works with any VM as well, not just Windows.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Erwin posted:

Is this for View? We recently did an initial test of View, and after 30 seconds of dragging a window around the screen, we threw up a little in our mouths and put it on the back burner.

The 3D performance was garbage or the remoting performance was bad?

I was the QA lead for the 3D acceleration project until a few months ago. I left that team though and I am now working on the dev side doing the remoting. Not PCoIP, but the remote console stuff that is in WebUI and vSphere client. That code is part of the core team that does 3D/mouse/keyboard. We don't touch PCoIP, and actually can't legally work on it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Also, I am going to be at VMworld tomorrow. I'll be wearing a blue button up with short sleeves and pink/white stripes. I have a giant octopus tattoo on my right forearm, so I am pretty easy to pick out of a crowd. Say hi, and I will give you all the good VMware gossip.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

That's about EVC because FT depends on HA (can't power on an FT VM without HA enabled) and on EVC for DRS (otherwise DRS is disabled for FT VMs).

11 acronyms and 18 words. Welcome to VMware.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Solution 1: Use Parallels or VMware
Solution 2: Don't upgrade your work machine the day an OS update comes out

Solution 2 is good advice even with VMware. We have been hit with some Apple bugs in the past as well.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

So is anyone using or thinking of using the 3D acceleration feature released with ESX5.1? I would be interested in hearing about people's experience with it so far.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Testing it out soonish, probably installing ESXI to my desktop hopefully getting it working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3xaLUTZgU
that was running at vmworld. I have a bunch of people complain "youtube training videos are laggy

Here is more detail on that actually. My boss just sent me this: http://www.virtuallygeeky.com/2012/10/virtualized-3d-gaming-on-vmware-view.html

The demo at VMworld in SF didn't look to great, but the one in Barcelona looks a ton better.

Corvettefisher, keep me updated on how it goes. I am curious to hear about it actually being used in the field and not just demos.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

The VGX is going to be supported some time, that link is using a quadro card to allow GPU acceleration to the VD's in that view environment. It will be interesting to see what they do in the next few months here. SR-IOV should have some hefty benefits.

here is that Nvidia VGX
http://www.nvidia.com/object/vdi-desktop-virtualization.html

Looks impressive but I am still waiting 3 months later

More about vSGA
http://blogs.nvidia.com/tag/vsga/

That first link is pretty interesting. Under the Nvidia VGX tab, it has a quote about still using vMotion and stuff. VGX is not supported on ESX, and you would lose vMotion with it if it was supported.

edit: To clarify, you wouldn't get vMotion if you used their pass-through. You still get that with the vsga.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 23, 2012

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Devian666 posted:

What sort of 3d support is provided? Is it limited to a single gpu manufacturer or is it more generic? What is needed to get it running in a VM?

Right now it is limited to just Nvidia. They are the only ones that have ported a driver so far. It requires a Quadro 4000, 5000, 6000, or Kepler card. You might want to check me on that though. The Keplers were not even out when I was still on the project.

Getting it running is pretty easy. You install the vib on the esx box, check a box in the UI to enable 3D in the VM, and make sure you have the latest tools.

There are a few modes for setting 3D. I am not sure how they are exposed in the UI, but from the .vmx file they are "hardware", "software", and "automatic". The hardware config will fail to power on if there are no GPU resources. Software will only run on the software renderer. Automatic will try to power on with the GPU, but will use software rendering if no hardware is available.

You can also enable 3D from the Workstation UI if you have that available and don't have VC setup. I am pretty sure it just defaults to automatic rendering though. WS also has slightly better remoting. They were willing to take a few more features later in the release cycle.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I think for the most part we have been using HP ProLiant systems. I currently have a DL370 G6 with a Quadro 4000 in it. You will want to get the 750 or 1200 watt power supply. With the 1200 watt power supply, we have run a few of the Quadro 6000 cards in a single machine. I am not sure how much power the Kepler cards use though, I have moved from the 3D side of things to the remoting. I did just play UT2004 connected to my ESX box with Workstation though. Clearly a good use of this hardware and company time. :)

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I don't have tetris but I do have Devil May Cry 4.

This is actually running pretty slow. I have seen it get a lot higher frame rate than this. I tried to edit out my server names and such, but you can see that this is Workstation connected to ESX.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 26, 2012

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there any reason you aren't using RDP/VNC/Putty to manage the VM's? You really shouldn't be administering the VM's via vSphere console. I really only use the console to get tools installed and setup an IP.

Do you say this just because performance sucks so much over the console? Have you tried it with 5.1 yet? We made a bunch of improvements so it should work a lot better.

forge, do you have an e-mail that I can reach you at? It looks like you don't have PMs and I don't want to post my work e-mail on here. It sounds like it might be a guest driver issue. You might need to bump up your guest video memory for the desktop size.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

I am 99% sure VMware's recommends that you use RDP/Putty/VNC to administer services within the virtual machines and only use the console when required. I can try to dig up that white paper sometime tonight.

What the gently caress? That is probably left over from the days of it being really lovely and slow. I guess we need to find someone in charge of the docs and tell them to change that.

When you use VNC, are you doing it by enabling the VNC access to the VM though the vmx config, or from a VNC server in the guest?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

You say this like console access to a Server 2008 R2 machine isn't still lovely and slow unless you manually change the video driver.

Yeah, having our driver shipped with Windows would be nice. I figured most people were installing tools if they are interacting with the VM.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

I am installing tools, but it seems like I still have to manually switch to the WDDM driver, since it defaults to standard VGA driver even with Tools installed. Is that just me or something?

That actually sounds right. I have not installed 2008 in a very long time, but I seem to remember it doing that. I think that was done because of increased memory requirements of the WDDM driver.

I found the documentation I was looking for though...
http://static.usenix.org/event/wiov08/tech/full_papers/dowty/dowty_html/

quote:

The MKS has multiple HostOps backend implementations including GDI and X11 backends to support basic 2D graphics on all Windows and Linux hosts, a VNC server for remote display, and 3D accelerated backends written for both Direct3D and OpenGL

The MKS is what the clients use to talk to the VMs. The MKS is using VNC.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you're working in a shop with a bunch of different admins it can be a pain because people start fighting over the console session. I've had to beat it in to the head of the other guys here that they only use RDP to manage servers and if something is screwed up to the point that it needs console access I should be working on it anyway.

Are they using different RDP sessions to the same VM, or is an issue of them having access to all the VMs? Obviously if they are on the same VM, they will need RDP to make that happen. If you wanted to give people console access to only some VMs, that is something we could conceivably do.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

The console is for initial setup. Nothing else, until poo poo breaks.

That is cool and all, but why? It is because it is too slow, you don't want people accessing all the VMs, or because you need multiple sessions connected to the same VM?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mierdaan posted:

This is in 5.1?

I don't get VMware's approach to web interfaces in general. The Workstation WSX HTML5 tech gave me real hope for the future, and then vCenter 5.1 came around and BAM Adobe Flex crushing all my hopes and dreams.

The difference is because they are very different components being done by different teams. The team that did FlexUI is part of the vCenter group. They basically build the UI and use the remoteMKS/VMRC for the console. That same remoteMKS/VMRC is shipped with Workstation. That is why you can now connect Workstation to ESX.

WSX is using the webMKS, which is developed by the same team as the remoteMKS. It just allows you the console access without needing to install the remoteMKS. There are some drawbacks to the web based version, but it allows some pretty cool flexibility where you don't have a remoteMKS installed.

I won't comment on HTML5/Flex between ESX and WS. I can say that the remoteMKS and webMKS are both sticking around.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

What the gently caress made them think this was OK?

Both vCenter and vSphere client were Windows only. Do you really think a competitor of Microsoft wants key components of their software stuck on Microsoft? A web based solution gets your away from Microsoft. The other option would be two different versions of vCenter and the client. That could easily become a huge mess.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

If you are seeing a black screen but the cursor is changing when you move it around the guest console, the issue is either the video driver or the remoting stack. Do you have an e-mail I can reach you at? I can take a look at the logs or pass them on to someone else that can figure out what is going on.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

complex posted:

I like Terminals. Supports RDP, VNC, SSH, Telnet, Citrix.

That is pretty cool. It says it supports VMRC. Does it allows you to do basic operations like power the VM on and off? Or is it a console window and nothing more?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Number19 posted:

5.1 sort of seems like it was really rushed.

Not gonna lie, it kinda was. Everyone is very aware it. VMware has always had a great reputation with solid releases, and there is a lot of work being done to keep it that way.

three posted:

No more reboots for VMware Tools updates once they're updated to 5.1!

I remember a few years ago when Workstation required a reboot after uninstalling and installing the product again. Tools then required the same thing. So I would have to watch a Windows reboot 4 times total to upgrade. Keep in mind that I had to do this several times a week. Now I don't have to do that at all. Basically, it is the best thing ever.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Goon Matchmaker posted:

So you did something like the Farnsworth Parabox.

We joke that once we figure out a way to vMotion a VM onto a ESX install that is running as a VM, we will be able to get rid of that pesky hardware and just run everything as software.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

What are the good training classes to take though VMware? It looks like ICM 5.1 is probably the place to start. I think I get them all for free, so I might as well take the cool ones.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I mean from these courses: http://mylearn.vmware.com/courseware/151680/CourseCatalog-Oct2012.pdf

Mierdaan posted:

If you get them for free, no reason not to take the Fast Track instead of ICM. I think ICM would be pretty boring for anyone with a decent hold on the platform.

That actually looks much better. I don't exactly need them to explain to me what a VM is, but learning the storage and networking stuff would be nice. The View stuff would also probably be helpful. Are those classes any good?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

You have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470890800/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER in the OP. Will that still be pretty good, or will enough stuff have changed in 5.1?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Yesterday we were cleaning out a guys office that left after being with the company for 10 years. We found this in a box. Anyone know the hardware requirements for installing it?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Number19 posted:

I have an interesting virutalization project coming up this year that I don't quite know how to implement. We're redoing our build system and we'd like to get as much of it running on VMs as possible. (Let's ignore the "is this a good idea or not" part for now...)

Our big hurdle in the whole process revolves around CUDA. A part of one of our build tasks can take advantage of CUDA in a big way. It drops the task completion time down by a couple orders of magnitude so it is a requirement. I was hoping to find a way to present a CUDA GPU to a couple of VMs on this new cluster. I've read a lot of really terrifying things about using DirectPath and GPUs and it sounds like the Nvidia VIBs are going to be View only for the time being (and may not expose CUDA to the guest anyways). The GPUs will be either Telsa or Quadro cards, depending on the vendor and what they certify.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

You won't be able to do that. If you use DirectPass to hand the card over to the VM, then that VM has exclusive control of the hardware. ESX wouldn't be able to share it across the VMs. If you have ESX control the GPU, then it shares it across the VMs. Unfortunately, it only supports limited capabilities to the guest. You get DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 2.1 in the guest. You don't get CUDA.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

View 5.2 is rumored to utilize Nvidia GPU's in a virtual environment, here is a sneak peak:

http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/2012/10/25/vmware-view-3d-gaming-experience/

Pretty cool, but not out let; However, I believe Citrix does GPU acceleration already.

I didn't realize that the vib has not been released yet. The 3D functionality in no way depends on View. It is a feature of ESX 5.1 that builds upon the software rendering that was released with ESX5. I guess someone decided to hold off with the vib since the View team is really the group asking for 3D support the most. Or really at all.

If you are familiar with 3D on Workstation and Fusion, this is the exact same thing. 3D has worked on those products for years because our backends can hook into the graphics stack on the hosted system. ESX5.0 ported over the backend and graphics stack to the ESX kernel. There were no drivers or hardware though, so the rendering was done with software. ESX5.1 added the ability for Nvidia drivers to be loaded into the kernel. This means the 3D rendering is now done with hardware.

The capabilities in the guest are not limited by the physical device. They are limited by the virtual graphics card presented to the guest. Those capabilities are DX9c and OGL2.1 and are the same across all the recent products, hosted and ESX alike.

Number19 posted:

1:1 mapping would be fine. I don't need to split the GPU up since only one task out a dozen actually uses the GPU. Having one VM per host with the GPU directly attached would work well. This is more about logically splitting up the CPUs than the GPUs. I've always been pretty sure that this won't work or it's just a bad idea in general but it's worth a shot.

I'll probably use something like rCUDA (assuming that works) and just push a full virtual solution off until the next generation.

Pass though would work for you then. Just keep in mind that you will lose a lot of other VM capabilities by having a pass though device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Number19 posted:

That eliminates View for this which at least makes it clearer. To be honest, it feels (and always felt) like I'm trying to do something that's not going to work as well as I'd want it to. It'll have a lot of gotchas and other quirks. I'll just look into offloading the CUDA to a physical host for this generation.

The best you would be able to do is the pass though for the CUDA build. It would give you some benefits, but you would have to decide if it was worth the cost.

You are the actually first person that I have ever heard of that wants CUDA in a VM. In theory, it could be virtualized. The problem is that not enough people use it to justify the work to do that. There is also the fight with OpenCL. Neither one of them is really used much. If one of them started to get widespread usage, then you would see an effort to virtualize it.