Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

On the one hand, getting the gently caress out was definitely the right move - but it does feel a bit like walking a knife-edge without another job lined up.

I managed to get 5 months pay as severance out of the deal. I also have a decent amount in savings and can go on my wife's health insurance, so it wasn't as scary as it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I don't really get the play here - if all SMBs switch to alternatives, it will not only hurt stable development of VMware (few customers = fewer testers hitting corner cases resulting in a less battle tested product), but also future adoption in general - if everyone starts out with Hyper-V, Proxmox or XCP-NG or maybe something else, then in future they'll go with what they're comfortable with. It's why Windows is so widespread; Microsoft got it in the classrooms around the world as best as it could. VMware is also learnt by many today, but that could change overnight, and probably will. Within a short time VMware will be a dead product and company. I guess they're hoping they can just coast with a few giant customers, but that's a dangerous strategy to intentionally pursue, as you become totally reliant on them.

Hock Tan said over and over that their plan was to stop dealing with all the smaller businesses an focus only on the top customers. That is how they operate with hardware, and they are applying the same formula for VMware.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

fresh_cheese posted:

Broadcom vs Oracle - Fight!

My boss that just retired from VMware was working for Sun when Oracle bought them. He said that wasn't done nearly as poorly. I have heard the same thing from other people. I think a new industry standard has been set.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

To be fair, hardware-accelerated virtualization and SLAT wasn't really available on x86 until Nahelem and Orleans - and very few people had the talents to develop something without it, as it required intimate knowledge of the CPU.
It wasn't fun to use before virtualization of interrupts and I/O MMU virtualization, which was half a decade later.

The binary translator and SWMMU were fully support until 2021or so. I think there might be a few customer out there that are still running it under special contracts too. HV and the HWMMU are generally better, but there are a few workloads that worked better under the older virtualization. The monitor team at VMware finally removed the binary translator from the main code base in 2018 or so. We had a headstone made and placed it outside the offices. I think someone is trying to get it put into the computer history museum in Mountain View now.