Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Well, they've already basically killed the Windows client (new features are web client only), so I imagine the Windows server will go soon. They'd need to spend the next year fixing the VCSA as it exists now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Can not stress that enough really. Especially with 5.1, I dunno about you all but it feels kinda rushed, and the whole "incompatible/unsupported" with view is just bad on so many levels. Feels like they were just trying to go HAHA WE DID IT BEFORE HYPER V 2012!

Every release has always been incompatible with View to start off.

three
Aug 9, 2007

luminalflux posted:

It seems that the for some reason HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\heartbeatPort was configured to port 922 instead of 902, and 922 wasn't open while 902 was. vpxd was pushing this down to the agents upon reconnect, while vCenter was listening on the default port. Naturally no heartbeats were getting through, which forced the disconnects.

At least I hope, but it hasn't disconnected yet, let's let this run for a day or so.

edit: I would have caught this a lot earlier, if I were looking at the correct file. Apparently on the host there's both /etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg from an older ESXi version and /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg which is the running config...

How did that happen?

three
Aug 9, 2007

The trainers don't need to know everything to be able to teach you what VMware feels is important for that class.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

This. By the way does anyone have the ESX 5.1 link for HP handy? I'd like to give it a spin but gently caress trying to find it on their godawful website.

I thought HP's version was actually downloadable via VMware's site on one of the additional download tabs?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Don't defragment VMs. It doesn't make sense. The defragmentation tool is totally unaware of how the VM is laid out on the SAN, and it's going to cause issues with storage auto-tiering, changed block tracking, etc.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/09/should-i-defrag-my-guest-os.html posted:

Internally at VMware, we have not observed any noticeable improvement in performance after a defragmentation of Guest OSes residing on SAN or NAS based datastores.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

So apparently I'm getting a free upgrade to vCloude Suite Standard.

This poo poo looks complicated and I have no clue how I could use it in my environment. Still... free.

EDIT: Urgh reading the documentation is like being assaulted by some buzzword spitting monster.

It's not free if you consider the cost of your support contract is going to go up like $300/socket per year.

three
Aug 9, 2007

The method to install SSO with an external database is ridiculously stupid. VMware should be ashamed they shipped it that way.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Erwin posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? How does software like this get released? If I pick the last one, do I really get 9, or 7? I need to find a cigarette so I can say "hold on to your butts" while clicking next.

While it kind of sucks, stop using the Windows client. It probably bugs out because virtual hardware isn't presented in that manner anymore.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Erwin posted:

I would, but the web client is missing so many features that I find myself going back and forth. Want to use Update Manager? Gotta use the Windows client. Want to select more than one VM at a time so you can migrate a bunch? Windows client. Want to see what tasks are being kicked off by other clients? Windows client. Want to see your host list update itself when one reboots without having to constantly refresh? Windows client.

Plus the "Download Plug-in" link for the remote console doesn't do anything, so if I want to view a VM's console, Windows client.

Migrating multiple VMs: Browse to the 'related objects' view and then Virtual Machines and you can highly and right click->Migrate and it will work on multiple VMs.

View tasks from other clients: Under Recent Tasks on the right, click 'My Tasks' and change to 'All Tasks', or go to Task Console.

I haven't ran into the refresh issue being a problem. I would check your web client VM specs, as I've seen it run poorly when under-provisioned. I've also not had any issues with the 'Download Plug-in' assuming you're using a supported browser.

Update Manager is unfortunate, but I imagine it will be added soon. vCenter Operations has a web client plugin now.

three
Aug 9, 2007

No more reboots for VMware Tools updates once they're updated to 5.1!

three
Aug 9, 2007

wolrah posted:

I just had the mental image of someone who thinks they're being all slick and sets up diskless hosts with some form of netbooting, then puts a service critical to netbooting (say DHCP, TFTP, etc.) on that group of hosts.

The look on that person's face when they're trying to come back from a power failure and realize they've screwed themselves.

ivemadeahugemistake.jpg

We had a vendor that migrated the core OS partitions to the SAN that were needed to even allow connecting to the SAN. It worked okay until they rebooted.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Everything you can do with SRM, you can do manually via scripting, etc. if you don't care about having to maintain scripts. It's an automation tool, but it's a pretty good automation tool.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Have fun getting ripped off on Smartnet even if you get UCS cheaply.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I have been tinkering with Hyper-V 2012 and SCVMM 2012 SP1 this week, and so far I am split on my opinions of it. It has a lot of good things going for it, but then there are so many weird things that I don't like.

For example, when creating a cluster through SCVMM if it fails I am left with remnants of the failed attempt that I have to manually remove in order to try again. Failover clustering seems like Microsoft was like "welp, we got this clustering thing, might as well use it" instead of them developing something that is relatively seamless like VMware's FDM (or even their previous iteration).

I feel like it's layers on top of layers that don't necessarily all gel with each other and instead appear to be like they built a car with spare parts. It seems like a good car, but it's just weird.

Also, I really wish there was some standardization on naming conventions. Why call snapshots checkpoints? Why is the tab called 'Fabric'?

Also, why can't I cluster Hyper-V Server 2012 and Windows 2012 with Hyper-V feature together? Although, technically I'm not sure if you can cluster different SKUs of ESXi together... never ran into that.

Some other things that bothered me:
- I can't use the mouse in a VM Console window if I'm RDP'd into the server running the VM Console unless the guest (not the server) has integration tools installed.
- Mounting an ISO is just weird as hell. Why does the Hyper-V server need permission to the datastore and not the user I'm mounting it as?
- CSVs are not as simple as VMFS on a datastore.

Some things I like:
- You don't have to pay extra for vCloud Director-like functionality.
- Most of the stuff you do in the GUI has a little button to give you the Powershell code that would do the same thing (you can do similar things with Onyx for VMware but it's not nearly as easy or user friendly)
- To extend on the above, their dedication to the command line seems greater than VMware's even though PowerCLI is pretty rad.
- SCVMM supports other hypervisors out of the box instead of a ghetto, half-baked attempt like the new vCenter Multi-hypervisor Plugin from VMware.

Does anyone know of any good books that will teach me Hyper-V from a VMware Admins' view? I've been looking at the Cookbook, but would prefer something to really compare the two.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Raere posted:

Has anyone used any of the antivirus products that integrate with vShield Endpoint? Supposedly the antivirus engine is hosted in a virtual appliance and performs all of the scanning and updating from within that instead of inside each individual VM. Right now we have about ~15 server VMs, but we'll be moving to VDI sometime next year. I don't think it's a problem now, but as we add more VMs I can see how installing an AV client inside each one is going to start start creating a lot of overhead. VMWare only provides the API, and the AV vendors implement their own solutions. It looks like they all have trials and such, but I don't even know who to start with.

I know some people that have used McAfee MOVE and Trendmicro's product. The McAfee guy had lots of issues, but I've heard good things from Trendmicro.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Number19 posted:

Just wait until it starts leaking memory randomly and your vCenter grinds to a halt.

Dell's theory is to make everything a plugin for vCenter. I don't like that idea for this reason. Keep the lovely software away from my vCenter.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Polaris_Echoes posted:

Would you guys recommend this book?

The Official VCP5 Certification Guide

I'm going for the VCP5 and went through the Install, Configure, Manage course already. I'm torn between this one and the Scott Lowe book. Any opinions on which one would do a better job for preparing me for the test?

I think this one is great to prepare you to take the test: VCP5 VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 Study Guide: Exam VCP-510. It basically goes through the blueprint.

I havent seen the latest Scott Lowe book, but his older one was awesome for content but not really for preparing for the test.

three
Aug 9, 2007

The VCP5 Sybex is a new author, and I think reading it and doing the practice tests is a great way to prepare. The test isn't super easy, though, but it is true to the blueprint (which that book follows exactly).

three
Aug 9, 2007

I would only use a dvSwitch if I planned on using the features specific to it (inbound traffic shaping, private VLANs, LACP, etc). I think they add unnecessary complexity otherwise.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Syano posted:

Yes, you do

It depends on what method he is utilizing. If he is using the VMware Option (or whatever they call it), it will be doing backups the same way that Veeam, PHD Virtual, vRanger, etc. do it and it does not require an agent.

three
Aug 9, 2007

We're doing dual SD cards in our Dell PowerEdge R620 hosts with no internal storage. No issues.

three
Aug 9, 2007

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

All the Dell boxes I've got have only 1 SD card slot for the vFlash thing. Is this something new they're offering?

Not sure how new it is, but it looks like this: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/poweredge-idsdm-whitepaper-en.pdf

three
Aug 9, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So, what IS a decent virtualization aware backup solution? I see people complain about Veeam quite a bit, but it seems like that's all that everyone uses.

We're primarily a windows shop but have a couple important linux servers. Right now we're in talks with some vendors to go almost total virtualization. We've been using virtualiztion for awhile with Hyper-V, but pretty much anything is on the table at this point from having a mix of VMWare and Hyper-V to all VMware.

I've been trying to get people on board with licensing System Center 2012 as it would ease management of our environment greatly (despite some linux machines here and there, we are still primarily a windows shop), but one of the hooks for selling that to the people writing the checks is that DPM2012 would take over our backups from our somewhat shaky Backup Exec setup we have now. However, DPM doesn't have host level backup of VMware nor does it have a native client for linux. So, I'm not sure if I can really continue pushing this due to the linux servers we have and the potential for the switch from Hyper-V to VMWare.

vRanger and PHD Virtual have been decent. I once compared Veeam's handling of snapshots to walking a dog while the owner is on vacation, letting it die, and continuing to walk it every day but not telling anyone. The gentleman assured me he did not kill my dog, though.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Moey posted:

So due to lack of documentation at my new place, I have no idea device names/IPs for the thin clients our users are connecting to our View environment with.

Does anyone know a way to pull this from View?

Edit:

Ah gently caress me, was just informed by our "PC Tech" that she has not been joining any thin clients to the domain because it is pointless. Her suggestion to get the View Client updated? Walk around and manually do it. We have like 8 different sites. :fuckoff:

The IP will be stored in 'HKCU\Volatile Environment' in 'ViewClient_IP_Address' on the virtual desktop they're connected to.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

I've had success with VDP in my labs, it incorporates some of the Avamar features. I've heard many people complain about Veeam in the thread and would look into PHDvirtual or vRanger. I believe a few people here are using VDP in production, keep in mind it only supports upto 100VM's.

It supports up to 1000 VMs, but only 100 VM per appliance.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I got into a bit of an, uh, tussle with the other guys working on my production cluster and I was curious what the prevailing opinion is here:

Virtual disks...thin or thick provision?

The opposite setting of whatever you're doing on the array side.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Don't capitalize the 'W'!

three
Aug 9, 2007

Storage issues can cause hostd to hang with no affect on VMs necessarily; I've seen it when datastores are removed improperly. vSphere 5.1 introduced improvements into it with a new timeout setting.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Unless I'm missing something, the download pages still link to 5.1.

Changes make you buy premier licensing basically, Wanova/Mirage still don't work with View, but the HTML5 looks neat and it supports Lync now which is cool if you use that technology.

I find it intriguing that the HTML5 client doesn't use PCoIP. First nail in PCoIP's coffin? Why continue paying Teradici for PCoIP if you can build another protocol (reminder they never bought Teradici, when many thought they would)?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Semi-related to virtualization, but did anyone follow the VCE launch presentation this morning? They claim a billion dollar run rate, but have only sold 1,000 units. Am I way off on my math ($1mil/Vblock) or does that not make any sense?

three
Aug 9, 2007

BelDin posted:

Not that I know of, but there is a VMFS where you can't have more than 8 hosts connected to a non-NFS datastore that is used for your replica image. That limitation is from View Composer, not VSphere itself. Evidently they hard coded it in composer itself.

It was a limitation of vSphere until vSphere 5.1 as well.

View 5.1 now also supports up to 32 hosts with VMFS as it was only put in place due to the vSphere limitation.

three fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 1, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

BelDin posted:

The problem is, you still need to run NFS in order to use the 32 hosts. He sounded like he was trying to avoid NFS.

"With View 5.1 and later and vSphere 5.0 and later, an ESXi cluster can contain more than 8 ESXi hosts (up to 32), but you must store the linked-clone replica disks on NFS datastores."

Hopefully they fix Composer to support it in the next dot release. VMWare supposedly hard coded the limit in the product because previous VSphere versions didn't support it.

View 5.1 planning guide

Looks like it's just a result of View's inability to stay up to date with vSphere improvements (simply shocking that the EUC dept is put on the back burner by VMware). I was wrong, and it isn't supported in 5.1 even though it should now be supported since VMFS can do 32 hosts now:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2012/11/06/vmfs-file-sharing-limits-increased-to-32/ posted:

What the paper doesn’t mention is that in vSphere 5.1 this “file sharing limit” has been increased from 8 to 32 for VMFS Datastores. Cormac Hogan wrote about this a while ago. So to be clear, VMFS is fully capable today of sharing a file with 32 hosts in a cluster. VMware View doesn’t support that yet unfortunately, but for instance VMware vCloud Director 5.1 does support it today.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Build automation isn't Devops any more than EC2 is The Cloud. This is driving me nuts.

Can you explain for the class what devops is?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Hyper-V certainly isn't the only hypervisor to have networking issues before.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2019944
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006277

three
Aug 9, 2007

On the bright side, you'll be able to P2V your domain controllers when they're Windows 2012!

three
Aug 9, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Is anyone having trouble with audio playback in view 5.2, HTML (or BLAST)? Is it just not supported or is it suppose to work? Video plays a bunch smoother than I thought, however audio does not seem to work.

There is no audio support (or USB, webcam, redirection, thinprint, etc).

three
Aug 9, 2007

XenServer is for poors.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Moey posted:

Ugh.

We have a network admin who thinks he is a sysadmin. He managed to pull all of our funding for our server vSphere stuff and spent it all on XenServer. This happened right before I started here.

Needless to say I am already finding XenServer to be crap from an admin point of view.

He should probably be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

vSphere is a significantly more well-rounded and feature-rich product than its competition, in my opinion. But, you know how many people actually USE all of those features? Not many. There are still people in 2013 that don't have DRS enabled. :psyduck:

The war to overtake the hypervisor isn't about being better than ESXi; it's about being "good enough." It won't be long.