Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Rhymenoserous posted:

It takes like 20 minutes to install ESXi and you have the configs you can just import them. Any bare metal restore you do would take longer than just reinstalling and applying the config.

So uh yes, if you want to roll back just install etc.

Allthough you'd probably be better off just doing a fresh install of 5 and re-attaching your VM's from a time wasted standpoint.

This, and if you have host profiles(lucky SOBs) host profiles is a simple click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Kerpal posted:

It's all on a local RAID. We have ESXi installed on RAID 1 with VM data stored on a RAID 5. Are you saying I can install ESXi 5.0 on a USB flash drive, boot off that with the host, and then add VMs residing on the local RAID to its inventory? That would be a great way to test it.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2004784

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is it just me or is NAT pretty broken for anyone else on workstation 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sylink posted:

Im thinking of beefing up my Desktop to do some home learning.

Is the main bottleneck for running VMs the hard drive speed?

I already have a nice quadcore CPU, but I'm loath to spend a lot on SSDs.

I just want to learn the ins/outs using ESXI and whatever, probably with virtualbox like in the OP.

Will I hate myself without them or would getting a couple more regular drives and tons of RAM be fine?

You can get an SSD and have most your VM's and other VM's run flawlessly, thin provision your SSD's and you should be good. Just get an ample amount of ram, which is dirt cheap

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone else run Virtual AD instances to remote sites for clients? I am thinking about starting up cloud AD instances, my VCAP-DCA teacher really liked it a lot, just not sure how to market it.

Basically Clouded AD enviroments

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

I have a few small servers at work I am looking at virtualizing using ESXi.. (whatever it is called these days)

My only problem is a shoe string budget.. I can't really buy anything additional at this point.

I have a older whitebox/supermicro server I think would be suitable. All the hardware is listed as compatible on the "Whitebox HCL". Specs:2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM,SuperMicro mobo w/ dual on-board Intel NICs, PCI-Ex 3Ware 9650 RAID card - 7 SATA discs attached.

I am looking at a Windows 2003 DC/DNS instance and 2 small linux instances (one very lightly loaded intranet web server and the other for a UniFi controller).

Would this hardware run that comfortably? And what about the RAID config.. I was thinking maybe 6 disks in RAID10, with the 7th as hot spare?
http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...L9wuXV7KHaEo3VA
The raid card doesn't seem to be on there for 5, you may need to use 4.1 ESXi or look into something else. Worst case is VMware won't install because it can't detect any storage. You might just want to go RAID 5 + 2 Hot Spares waiting if you can, unless you have some highly utilized SQL DBs

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wibla posted:

This has instructions on getting the 9650 to work with 5.0 U1, it takes a little work, but is worth it.

I wouldn't recommend running raid10 or raid5 with hotspares, the 9650 supports raid6, and with write cache enabled (and BBU or UPS, preferably) it performs pretty well for being an "old" raid controller.

I would try to get more than 6 gigs of ram though, if at all possible.

Oh it has a decent sized write cache, okay then yeah raid 6 is a good option.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

Our of curiosity, have you verified you're using a consistent MTU from ESXi all the way through the network to the filers? Had a similar issue to this at a customer site that boiled down to an MTU mismatch.

this, if you are using jumbo frames to do you network and you upgrade I have seen those settings drop. Even though the MTU is way off you'll get some connectivity but get frequent drops in service

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I'm having a terrible loving brain fart. If I right click on VMware Tools running on a Win7 guest, should I not have the option to bring up some sort of menu of options? The only things I see are "About VMware Tools", "Disable Icon", and "Exit".

This particular VM is running on Fusion.

That's really all you are going to see, VMware tools is basically a driver set, unless you want to dig down to the inf files or whatever they are via device manager. You don't need to configure anything just update them from time to time when fusion updates come out.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I was hoping to shrink the VMDK associated with this particular VM. For some reason I thought that was a thing I did through the Tools icon :(

Like compacting? I know in workstation that is done from the management interface not within the VM.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1001934

Should help you out on compacting it

E: ah okay I guess there is a plugin for that good to know, but it is started via CMD

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Frozen-Solid posted:

Our license is for vSphere 5 Standard, I believe.

Product Features:
Up to 8-way virtual SMP
vCenter agent for VMware host
vStorage APIs
VMsafe
vSphere HA
vSphere Data Recovery
vMotion
Shared Smart Card Reader

We just don't have an actual vCenter server, because we only have 2 hosts. This is also our first time being on vSphere, because before we were just using ESX 3.5.

uhh, not tying to be a dick, you know you can't use really any of those features until you have a vcenter server right? HA might work but I doubt it highly if it never contacted a vcenter server for the configs

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bitch Stewie posted:

I don't really get that. Why would you pay for vSphere Standard but not buy vCenter?

Vcenter is included in everything you just have to license it properly
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/editions_comparison.html

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah seriously you are getting ripped, I am surprised that you guys haven't had major outages and questioned it sooner

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think the previous thread had a few people building lab boxes, but I don't see anyone doing it here. Am thinking about just building a new PC to host VMs on, since I've been doing it on my desktop for as long as I can remember and it can get a bit resource intensive if I want to do any gaming or encoding. Am thinking about just picking up a Gigabyte motherboard, i5 or i7 CPU, and 32GB of memory - is there any reason that's an awful idea?

Check op I have my specs and host a poo poo ton of VM's didn't cost me too much either

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Q: is the ~550 you quoted in the OP just a ballpark from memory, maybe a bit low? Because I keep ending up in the $900 range - admittedly I need a case and PSU so that adds marginally to the cost, but I'm not getting to $600 pretty much no matter what I do.

Okay well I wen't back over my newegg stuff and I guess I got the ram, mobo, and SSD on shell shockers which drove the cost down alot, as they are higher now, odd.

http://www.savemyserver.com/servlet/the-*Dell-%26-HP-Servers--pls-/Categories
might find some good deals here for whitebox builds

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
k lemme fire up visio, my environment is pretty crude

Pretty crude, most I haven't much powerCLI working and fully automated data center deploys yet , only HA/DRS/sDRS/Vmotion/vm affinaty and Vlans work atm, Working on fully automated enviroments that self build when resources are low

FYI my teacher has a cool website on poo poo if anyone wants to catch up on some stuff
http://www.vhersey.com/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 29, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

If anyone has any questions on these books let me know

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bitch Stewie posted:

The words "Mission Critical" and cheap NAS or SAN don't sit too well with me.

What I would look at is a pair of solid boxes with RAID10 DAS and depending on budget either run a VSA on them (HP P4000 or VMware VSA) or use the DAS with Veeam doing replication from one box to the other - you don't get HA but if the box running critical VM's shits itself you just fire up the replica on the second box.

I'd be wary of dropping in a cheap NAS box as IMO you're combining the worst of all worlds in that you'll probably have it hooked up to two cheap switches, and most of the cheap NAS vendors don't do proper on-site support like HP or Dell would.

You are honestly better off buying a Dell Equalogic/powervault servers than you are VSA, then offloading your VMDK's to Crashplan or secondary NAS. You can only use 1/4 of the storage on your servers and the servers have to be the same size.

You are better spending your money on some of these
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=brctzy2&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=powervault-nx200
or these
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/powervault-nx300/fs
Than you are relying on VSA to cover your rear end

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 30, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bitch Stewie posted:

My comments were more at the idea of using a Thecus/Synology/Netgear level of NAS for your mission critical VMs.

If they offer 4 hour onsite swap-out where you are then fair enough, I don't think they do though.

I'm not sure I'd consider a $1500 box running Windows Storage Server to be more solid than a pair of boxes running a synchronous SAN/NAS either - actually I am sure, I wouldn't, it's a huge SPOF.

Bob needs to evaluate his entire environment. I've seen so many people rush in and stick a SAN in because hey, it's a SAN, it's redundant everything right? Then the broom closet goes up in flames and you've lost everything you had because you only have a single SAN without dropping a lot of money.

That's where the VSA's come in handy for offering high availability and redundancy, assuming you have the physical infrastructure to make use of them.

Really my main point is don't stick your mission critical VM's on a pro-sumer NAS box.

You can replicate shares and take backups you know, or just reformat it with centos and setup DRBD or use dells management software. Hell even Openfiler has decent enterprise support, dunno if you would want to run that instead of windows. You could get almost 4 of those for the price of a VSA license, or 2 NX300s.

I the point I am trying to make is if it came between VSA replication of DAS stores and getting some dell equallogics I would get a dell Equallogic in a heartbeat. Dell isn't really that bad, they aren't an EMC or Netapp but for smaller environments they do a decent job. Then hook up some nice offsite backups with $reputable_company_here.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 30, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

So it looks like someone stole the ESX (?) source code and posted at least one header file on pastebin? Wonder what this will lead to.

The leak is from ESX 3(note: not esxi), if you are running ESXi 4.1/5 you are probably safe as long as you keep VUM updating your poo poo.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

The SAN thing is a sticking point for us because we simply don't have the money to drop $40k into a SAN so that the handful of VMs we have that aren't redundant/load balanced have failover.

You should really contact a Dell rep about equal logic NAS/SAN setup, you would be surprised what you can get for around 20k. Just because it isn't EMC/Netapp doesn't mean it isn't good. You would be suprised at how well some of the PowerVault via SAS 6Gb/s can perform, you just have to mesh it right.

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/storage-products

There is also super micro I haven't much experiences with them but haven't heard anything bad about them

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

What's a good setup for 30-40 VMs? (simple webservers, etc)

What's the OS they are running, what web servers, how many SQL DBs, what is the uptime needed, how much space do they need? What is your ballpark budget?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Are you running Iscsi or NFS?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

DAS. So it's SAS presenting SCSI LUNs, and the standalone ESXi server just has an extra disk in there for the VM guest.

If I have my way I will be depricating the entire old cluster and replacing it with a completely new cluster that's actually expandable.

That is what I am putting together, Do you have a few Gig Switches you can use?

Basically what I was thinking was
x3 R410's with Dual intel X6 Dual Proc's, 32 GB ram, RAID 1 on DAS for ESXi install, 4 intel Gig nics
x2 Dell Powervaults NVX3100 Raid 1 OS 10K disk, Raid 5 15k 10x600 Gig Disks, 4 intel gig nics (you can get eSAS cards for pretty cheap, and pipe your temp backups to your current NAS)
Essitials Plus Kit(or get whatever you need)
=> ~35k

use the other machines for a DR or backup or whatever you want

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 30, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Best way is to call the school and find out or email $head of IT

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

vty posted:

IT cert courses at community college seem terrible. I looked into them for my VCP and CCNPs awhile back, and they were all 200-260 hours long, which is probably 5x the amount of time I'd need to get it myself studying daily. Not to mention at that amount of hours they all wound up being.. what, 3-5k?

That, plus the fact that they're likely 1-3hr long classes twice a week. Maybe I've been out of college far too long, but I don't think a certification course should take multiple semesters (CCNA Discovery takes two, IIRC).

It seems like there's no good median between CC courses (that take months and months and cost 3-5k) and bootcamps (which are 3 days and you're basically brain dumping).

I'd love to start my own teaching. So many of my teachers were lacking real world experience.
My expirence is the exact opposite of yours VCAP/VCP Teacher and VCP/CISSP/S+/NSA Hold VCAP/VCP/CISSP/RHCE/NSA certs and do day jobs in it.

3-5k? wow, I pay like 500 bucks for a 4hrs + 1hrs lab credit class that includes the cert test usually free or 75% off. Mine take one semester, at tcc the teachers give you more than just what the cert wants so you actually know what you are doing, sure just studying for the test you can do it in a few weeks if you do nothing but brain dumps and multiple choice style study. But you probably won't know much else. Our exam for the VCP(other than the VCP 510) was to build a fully HA/DRS Enviroment + iscsi storage, and networking with vMotion + templates and a few machines that can ping eachother. Which is alot more than you will get in other places.

No idea where you got those numbers from but they are drastically different from my area, unless your numbers are coming from business colleges I can't wrap my head around 3-5k for a class

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Very different my CC only charges this much

this is including the test for basically free, this is the VCAP-DCA course. This include access to a cluster of 6 hosts, 2 highish end netapp servers, and everything the VCAP-DCA/VCP touches

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 1, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Guesticles posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about VDI setups (specifically Microsoft VDI)?

What do you need to know? I have a test environment of VDI infrastructe if you need me to test something

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a VDI setup over Terminal server?

Like with View compared to RDS/TS?

How many users?
What are the mostly doing? How much audio/video needed?
What is your existing setup?
Do you want thin clients, zero clients, or reusing old desktops?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 4, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

I was just kind of asking in general. Do you need to have a certain number useres before it starts making sense? Does it work better/worse for certain applications?
How do the costs compare?

Well, for small deploys Server 2008r2 has hyper-v and will doubleback as a nice all in one solution. Seeing how you probably have a server onsite you might just want to configure the RDS role and have it all in one. I would do this for <20-15 people, small office deploy, doing mostly word processing

For larger stuff things like transparent page sharing, Vmwares vSMP(vms with multicore), graphic and memory management comes into play and really helps you fine tune your resources. Audio/video is way better on View 5 which uses PCoIP vs RPD.

If you want something that is like desktop from anywhere and don't want to push down a whole lot I would go with RDS, for more complex larger scale deploys VMware is awesome, citrix Desktop 6 is good I hear but I don't have much exp with it. Cheapest solution would be RDS, you can always do a hybrid linking a machine running esxi and windows hosts to a RDS server and do a hybrid setup.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of VDI, has anyone used the Windows 8 implementation of RemoteFX? How does it compare to PCoIP?

Testing it this weekend actually, I will let you know how it goes

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Okay I am working on a Licensing explained thing for the OP, should have a good draft up soon

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ooooh that might just be it, thank you. I may have a follow up or two when I get a chance to build it.

I do remote access and routing on the windows AD box, seeing how I have to have an AD environment anyways. I does work a bit cleaner after DNS finally decides to update records.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So what would you guys say the 'best overall' backup is?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Did they up the Fast Track course costs for 5.0? I'm looking at one right now and it's $5500 :psyduck: I thought it was more in the $3500 range?

Probably because it is new.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What verison of ESXi
Specs of whitebox(storage mainly)
VT/VT-D or AMD-IOMMU enabled in the bios
At time of instal how many other machines does he have what is provisioned on the machines

His HW might not be fully supported and when stressed to X degree crashes the machine, He might want to try running ESXi in a VM then install Windows or whatnot ontop of it

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 8, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Daylen Drazzi posted:

ESXi is running the latest 5.0U1 release. VT-D is enabled in the BIOS. He's running an Intel i7-3770 CPU. Storage is local SATA. He has an Intel dual port gigabit PCIExpress card. 32 GB of RAM in 4 sticks. Mobo has the Z77 chipset. The ISO used to install Windows Server 2008 R2 is stored on my machine and mounted after booting into BIOS (not stored in the datastore on the box) - it was downloaded from Microsoft's TechNet site and has been installed successfully a dozen or so times in my VirtualBox setup. Machines currently provisioned are four Linux VM's (one of them was setup for me as a SmoothWall Firewall for me to play around with).

My roommate has the exact same machine at work running 40 or so VM's without a hitch, but I don't know if he's running any Server 2008 R2 VM's, and that's what's causing us to scratch our heads.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012

And run ESXi in a vm, it works well enough. Check the mobo for Bios updates, and what not. Make sure the Mobo is set to AHCI mode and not IDE.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Welp Setting up some Hyper-V/Centos Xen clusters before I go, my place was shocked when I told them I couldn't offer support. These servers we have aren't on the HCL for 5 only upto esxi 4.1 4u. Going to be fun cramming in guides to XEN, along with how to use it...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Oddhair posted:

Corvettefisher you should also throw in a Lync deployment how-to while you're at it, but I doubt they'd get the joke anyway.

I about ready to write a "How to be a good systems admin" guide for this job. I am too the point where it is basically click on deploy and servers are ready to go.

E: hmm that wouldn't be a bad thread idea, "Systems Admin guide to automating/optimizing your environment"

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone know any Good Xen server management apps for windows? Terminal is not these peoples friends