Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for pasting info from the clipboard into a VM console window in vSphere? I've been playing around with AutoHotkey, but I haven't been able to get anything working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I got an email today about vmware user group regional conference coming up in a few months (http://www.vmug.com/p/cm/ld/fid=121). It's a one-day thing, but there's no details yet for my local one beyond the date. I should be able to get work to pay for it, but what's the registration cost like? Are these things even worth going to?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.vmware.com/partners/programs/

Anyone here a VMware partner? There are only 2 shops in our sister town(one is a reseller only), none in our City. I am pushing for us to become one, anyone have any stories tips to share I am all ears.

E: Or if you have any stories of working with a VMware partner on the job please share any experiences you can

I think my company is in the process of becoming one, or maybe we just want to but haven't really started yet? I'm not sure, that's all above my pay grade. I hope we do though because I would really like to get more involved with this aspect of the projects we're working on.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Has anyone gotten USB passthrough to work in VirtualBox? I've been struggling with it all weekend and just can't get it to connect, and it sounds like it's a pretty common problem. Can VMware Player do this with less hassle?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

feld posted:

What is the host OS that VirtualBox runs on?

Windows 7 Professional. I've already downloaded vmware player though, so I'll give that a shot. I should be able to convert my vms, right? It won't be a huge loss if I have to start over since they're basically bare installs, but it would be helpful.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm having some host-only network problems in VMware Player. My two VMs are getting IP addresses and stuff from dhcp and can communicate with the gateway, but not with each other. Everything's pretty much out-of-the-box with the exception of adding the default gateway in the dhcp config file (it didn't work beforehand either, and I added it in hopes that they just didn't know how to get from A to B). What should I try in troubleshooting this? Networking is not my strong suit unfortunately.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

What network are the VMs on? Usually by default desktop virtualization programs make a NAT for the VMs, you have to modify them a bit to be on you're real LAN.

They're on VMnet1. I think NAT is the default network type, but they're both set to host-only, and the IP addresses they're getting are in the range I expect them to be. Here's the definition from vmnetdhcp.conf:

code:
subnet 192.168.184.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.184.128 192.168.184.254;            # default allows up to 125 VM's
option broadcast-address 192.168.184.255;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.184.1;
option domain-name "localdomain";
option routers 192.168.184.1;
default-lease-time 1800;
max-lease-time 7200;
}
host VMnet1 {
    hardware ethernet 00:50:56:C0:00:01;
    fixed-address 192.168.184.1;
    option domain-name-servers 0.0.0.0;
    option domain-name "";
}
The option routers line is the only change I've made here, but it was not working before that either. ipconfig from the two machines:
code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c5a6:1732:c885:a2bf%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.128
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.1
code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7c03:d18b:3e78:783d%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.129
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.184.1

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

I'm having some host-only network problems in VMware Player. My two VMs are getting IP addresses and stuff from dhcp and can communicate with the gateway, but not with each other. Everything's pretty much out-of-the-box with the exception of adding the default gateway in the dhcp config file (it didn't work beforehand either, and I added it in hopes that they just didn't know how to get from A to B). What should I try in troubleshooting this? Networking is not my strong suit unfortunately.

So it turns out that I'm a big dummy, and that Windows Firewall blocks icmp traffic by default. My network configuration was just fine, though adding that option routers line was probably not necessary. :downs:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I have a 2008 VM that runs a java-based application, and a while ago the jvm poo poo itself. It restarted itself, but I opened a support case with the vendor to figure out what happened. They say that based on the logs an dump info I sent them, it appears to be a memory problem and would like me to do a memory test on the server. Am I correct in thinking that there won't really be any value in doing this on a VM? Since it's just being allocated some chunk of memory on the esx host, couldn't a potentially bad memory area be allocated to some other server right now?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Corvettefisher posted:

^^^I doubt it was the leap second

It is possible for it to be memory, but pretty unlikely. My guess is it crashed for some reason, they aren't sure, and blamed it on memory. Unless it was a memory full then dump, any other VMs having problems?

No, this was about two months ago so not a leap second thing. It wasn't an out of memory error. The actual error code was EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. If this is a bad memory error (I am almost certain it isn't), wouldn't it take a memory test on the esx host itself to detect?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyway, I think they're making a bad call on it being memory. If you ran out of memory, then you had a memory leak somewhere in the Guest or it's just starved due to an unprecedented workload. Since it's a Windows box, you'll have to check task manager and performance monitor occasionally to see if the application (or something else) is consuming way too much memory.

Yeah, agreed. I've seen this happen literally once in about five years of using this software extensively, so it's an edge case no matter how you slice it. I did a little more research, and it sounds like the jvm version it uses has some known issues with some of the garbage collectors. I've let them know as much, and I haven't heard anything back yet. Thanks all for backing up my suspicion that a memory test is probably not the best course of action here.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if it's possible in Workstation to control mouse cursor grabbing on a per-VM basis? The only option I've been able to find appears to be global. In general I don't want VMs to grab the cursor, but in Windows 8 and 2012 it's a lot easier to trigger the side panel if it does.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Our vmware environment is getting really close to capacity for memory, and I've been working on identifying where some fat can be trimmed. A number of running VMs report 0 CPU or RAM in the vsphere client and I can't figure out why. If I go back far enough in the performance tab I can find some data, but at varying times they just stop reporting. Rebooting the VM doesn't have any effect. When it's shut off the host shows a drop in memory and CPU usage, but it just can't seem to figure out where those resources go when the VM starts up again. Any suggestions?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

NippleFloss posted:

Missing performance data can be a consequence of the SQL performance rollup jobs being missing. It's a common problem when the SQL DB has been moved. Might want to check that.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004382

Are all hosts/guests missing data at the same times?

This appears to have resolved itself, I can't find any VMs that are doing this anymore. Before though it was some VMs but not all. I think there were at least a few on all our hosts, but we only have three in the cluster so that could be just due to small sample size. We're using the vcenter appliance with an embedded database, so I don't think the rollup jobs thing was a factor.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there a good way to figure out how much overhead is being consumed by the iSCSI or NFS software initiator on a 5.5 host?

We don't have these in our lab so I can't confirm, but esxtop might provide you with that info.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to automate some AWS administration with Powershell and I've hit some roadblocks. I've been able start remote sessions on instances by connecting directly to them, but I need to be able to do it through a proxy. Powershell won't let you do this unless you use HTTPS, and starting a HTTPS listener requires a certificate. Before I go any further down this rabbithole, is there any other option available for connecting to AWS instances with Powershell? I saw that there's a plugin available, but the documentation was kind of overwhelming so I'm not sure if it will let me do this or not. Any suggestions?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm seeing some strange behavior occasionally when cloning from template. Sometimes shortly after powering on for the first time, DRS moves a VM from one host to another because it's lost heartbeat. If this happens while guest customization is still going on the customization complete event is never written in tasks & events. This would not be a problem normally, but vRA appears to key on this event to determine that customization has finished, and without it the request just gets stuck in the CustomizeOS status.

I've compared the guestcust.log between machines that finish normally and ones that didn't, and found a couple of discrepancies. In a "good" build I see this:

[2015-10-23T10:11:18 DEBUG] Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='', len=0, status=1

vs this in a "bad" one:
[2015-10-23T10:11:31 DEBUG] Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='Unknown command', len=15, status=1

The bad one also has this:
[2015-10-23T10:11:31 ERROR] Unable to set customization status in vmx.

That last one seems pretty damning, but I don't understand what's different about these builds that causes that communication to fail. Couldn't find anything pertinent in the KB either. Any ideas?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DevNull posted:

It should be pretty simple. There should be a native client that you can install and run, or you can use the html5 web version. The web version has certain limitations, but should work anywhere. The native client might not work everywhere, but won't have the limitations. Install the drat native client on a machine you use everyday. Use the web client when you need to jump on some random machine for quick access.

I agree it should be like this, but they're actually taking the opposite tack. As of esx 5.5 there's no new functionality being built into the java client. Any new poo poo you've got to use the web client for. I really don't understand why they've got such a boner over it since it's pretty goddamn clunky, but there it is. The amount of stuff that's broken without a functioning client integration plugin is kind of embarrassing, and you'd think they'd have addressed it by now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

The client is incapable of using any of the new features in 5.5 and beyond, as well as certain vcenter level features like distributed switches.

You can absolutely manage distributed switches with the old client. There are some newer settings from 5.5 that may not be visible, but probably 95% of the functionality is there.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I just did a demo of it for a potential client last week. They were interested enough that they want to continue the conversation, which I guess is better than nothing. Pantology is correct--once you've got everything installed and configured correctly basic stuff is super fast to implement. Adding orchestrator customization is pretty straightforward and only takes a few minutes per flow (actually getting the right flow to run at the right time, that is, flow development is a different beast entirely).

If you've got the licensing for it you can do some really slick stuff with the application services add-on. This client wanted to see a multi tier application buildout, and once I got the hang of things it wasn't too hard to do. There's another extension called advanced service designer, but I don't really know a whole lot about that part.

I will say though that it is one of those things where you should read through the install and configure guide completely before you start actually doing anything. Some parts of the setup are really finicky, and getting something wrong can be really hard to track down later.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You haven't taken the soon-to-be-retired VCP6-Cloud exam by any chance, have you?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I took the vCAC 6.1 class not long before they revamped it for vRA (which I was totally unaware was going to happen), and now I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to pass the exam before they pull the plug on it at the end of the month. If I understand right that class will be worthless unless I can get the old version, because the class doesn't satisfy the classroom requirement for VCP6-CMA.

e: Took the exam yesterday. Didn't pass, but I wasn't expecting to honestly. I actually did pretty well all things considered. A little boning up on admin roles and NSX poo poo and I should be able to pass next try.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 19, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Run command is strictly a Windows thing as far as customization specs go. A client I worked with a while back addressed this by having some bash scripts baked into the template that would run on first boot to do this that and the other thing, then delete themselves so they can't be run again inadvertently. There is probably a more graceful solution to the problem though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I try to keep CPU load below 70% because ready time starts getting bonkers at that point anyhow.

Just out of curiosity, how often are you using multi-vCPU vms in your environment, and what's your metric for deciding it's warranted?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I swear, I only need to consult the VMware site like every other month, but every single time I do I run into some problem. I think I'm just the unluckiest guy.

No, their website is just garbage.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

Anyone deployed vRA yet?

Built it out in the lab at my erstwhile employer and managed to get certified before they pulled the rug out from under me at the end of last year. What's up?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DevNull posted:

Player would probably work. That is only for Linux/Windows though. I guess you can create VMs with it now too. I haven't paid much attention to it in a few years.

It's been a few years since I screwed around with it, but I think snapshots are the thing you're most likely to miss on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure it can clone, and your definitely can create VMs. Setting up different virtual networks is trickier, but it can be done. I think the utility for changing those settings isn't included with Player, but it can be pulled out of a Workstation install.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on resources to beef up my AWS chops a little? I've got a little experience with ec2 instances, and I've hosed around with s3 a little (i.e. created a bucket and moved some files in and out), but I haven't touched any of the other offerings at all.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Nope, haven't done that at all, and it does sound useful. I've basically just created instances, twiddled security groups as needed, and done a little bit of post-provisioning config, but at that point it's no different than any other box. The only sort of advanced thing I've done is played around with the CLI.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Definitely can do that with PowerCLI pretty easily. If you can pull from the source with Powershell pretty easily then script that poo poo.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When you deploy from OVF via url in the vmware web client does vcenter grab the remote bits directly, or do they go through your local machine first?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

god dammit boss.

Currently sitting at 99% after an hour and a half removing the snapshot, I wonder how long it will take.

I don't mean to be a topper but

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've having trouble upgrading a vcenter appliance from 5.5 to 6.0. Everything goes fine at the start, but it eventually bombs out with "fatal error during network configuration" when the status bar is not quite to halfway. I found some posts in the vmware forums saying to make sure your DNS records and NTP settings are good for the old appliance, and mine appear to be fine. Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions on how to get past it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

Are the PTR records correct?

Yep, A and PTR both in place and accurate. I've been loving around with it most of today, and it appears that it didn't like the fact that the old server was using a DHCP address. I changed the network config to static, and it worked perfectly the first time. I don't have a good explanation for it, but it's working now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Around $2.6 trillion I think :v:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
There's a devops thread too that I think has some occasional discussion.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm having an unusual problem with a VM. It was previously mounting an ISO on the host's local storage. That's been changed to client device, but the VM insists that it's still using the local datastore for something. I've confirmed the virtual disks are both on the SAN, and I don't see any mention of the local datastore in the vmx file either. I've tried mounting and unmounting ISOs from a variety of locations, but I can't seem to break that connection. Any ideas what might be causing this? This is an exchange server, and is currently stuck on its current host due to this ghost datastore connection, which obviously is not desirable.

e: pretty sure I've figured it out. There's an old snapshot on the VM, which will hang on to that datastore reference even after you switch to client or host drive. We're going to wait until tonight to delete it, but hopefully that will solve the problem.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 18, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Early on it was garbage. In 5.5 it was slightly less garbage. In 6.0 I think it's actually pretty decent, aside from the fact it's flash based.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What is there in the fat client that still isn't in the web client? The last bastion I can think of was VUM, and it runs pretty nice in the web client now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I got asked to write some Powershell scripts to be used by vRealize Orchestrator.

Anyone know how I can get up to speed on that? I know Powershell but I'm not sure how to handle the inputs and outputs.

Also, is there any good way to securely handle credentials?

vRO is not a very fun tool to use. I have not really found a whole lot of good resources online, the little I know is from a vRA class I took a while back and just jumping in head first and pounding at the keyboard until something good happens. Is vRA in your mix at all? What is going to be triggering these workflows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

If you're in vSphere, isn't this what Orchestrator was built to do?

Pretty much. It's not the most pleasant orchestration tool out there, but it should be up to this task.