Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Can someone help me understand VMware licensing? I'm interning at a company which had several unlabeled desktops just scattered around for international users to remote into, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to play around with virtual machines. I installed ESXi on a ordinary dell desktop, configured it with vsphere and converted some machines with VMware Converter, and they seem to be working very well.

The licensing for ESXi seems to be free since the machine it's installed on has less than 32GB and only 1 physical processor. Can I set up more ESXi boxes or is there a limit to how many free licenses you can use. And do I need a license for converter/vsphere? I've gotten everything from the official site and haven't been asked to pay anything yet.

At the moment the machines aren't being used for anything other than my own personal testing, but I want to figure out the licensing specifics before I recommend it as a solution to my boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I don't think he was saying the supercomputers were cracking the passwords on the Cloud Company.

What's happened a few times recently is a site gets hacked and the database of passwords gets leaked. Hackers brute force the leaked hashed password DB to find the original password, then try that username/password combination on other sites and services because people tend to reuse passwords.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I finally setup and tried out Docker recently and it's extremely cool. Instead of using an ubuntu VM with ~1gb of memory to run an nginx proxy with SSL I'm running a container that's using ~30mb! I'm having 1 weird issue I wanted to ask about here though. Windows 10 Pro volume mounting with docker seems to have a lot of issues based on the search results I see, but the problem I'm having seems weirdly specific.

I have the restart policy for my containers set to always. When I start docker my containers therefore start up, but any volumes that are mounted from the Windows host are empty. If I restart the container after docker is started normally the volume mount works correctly.

Background info: Host is Windows 10 Pro, File sharing on host is enabled, Drives are shared within the Docker settings, the test command "docker run --rm -v c:/Users:/data alpine ls /data" works as you would expect.
One other question, if I can't get the host volume mounting working the workaround seems pretty obvious, just don't mount volumes from my windows host. What would be the best way to manage a volume for a container so that it won't get erased or overwritten by Docker?