Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Alctel posted:

Ok, so this old chestnut, virtual, physical or appliance for VCenter?

Moving to Vcenter 5 from 4.1 and we had it on a physical box (since it makes things easier for upgrades etc) but 'best practice' is having it virtualised apparently.

What do y'all do? Our enviroment has 2 ESXi servers with around 20 VMs on

Physical. Nothing more painful than having Virtualcenter crash and having to search all your ESX servers to find it and turn it back on. (I've not witnessed anyone using the high availability thing yet, and considering the amount of RAM they recommend for virtualcenter -- like 8GB -- why would you want that on your VM cluster?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Erwin posted:

3 hosts over 2 datacenters, 35ish VMs (so tiny). Yes, SQL is local.

To be clear, active memory, as opposed to shared memory is only about 1GB. Total host memory used is 6.5GB at the moment, but that's still not really a reason not to virtualize vCenter.

I guess if you have spare hardware you can give it more thought, but buying hardware vs. just making it a VM is a no-brainer I think.

6 hosts here and we see ours use 4-6 GB active memory. People remote desktop to it for the vsphere client over the vpn which causes it to use even more resources...

I once watched a friend try to find his crashed virtual center hiding somewhere on ~70 hosts. Was quite amusing. See, the OS kind of hung; it wasn't like the VM crashed completely and esx could restart it automatically....

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

We have relations here with Quest who owns the vRanger product. Hell, it's developed a few blocks away. I haven't begged for a demo or trial license, though.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

stubblyhead posted:

Has anyone gotten USB passthrough to work in VirtualBox? I've been struggling with it all weekend and just can't get it to connect, and it sounds like it's a pretty common problem. Can VMware Player do this with less hassle?

What is the host OS that VirtualBox runs on?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

three posted:

It's clear you're very excited about virtualization, but I think you need to step back and re-assess where you think you are at a skill level, especially in regards to the advice you give.

No kidding. This is a project you take months to plan and test. I hope this isn't a "once a day ordeal" or there are going to be some really pissed off people out there.

Rule #1 of Consulting: Everyone Lies

It's going to take you a while to figure out what they really want

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I will warn you: if your MSSQL database goes tits up you can expect some interesting things on your dvSwitches such as entire VLANs that just stop passing traffic making the VMs using them go off the grid. Everything will return to normal once you get MSSQL back on its legs.

This is something we've experienced that the VMWare engineers said is "impossible"

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Trying to find a secure way to P2V customer equipment to our environment. Right now we have our Virtualcenter server with a 2nd NIC that goes to a dedicated VLAN that can be securely used for P2V operations. The problem is that it doesn't work. I can start the P2V but it fails while making the VM. Machine being P2V'd only has access to this private VLAN and can only see the Virtualcenter server. It has no default gateway or DNS servers. It cannot talk to the ESXi nodes directly in any way.

Why does this P2V operation fail?

Shouldn't it only have to talk to Virtualcenter?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Is antivirus on Virtualcenter a known "don't do that" ?

I'm pretty sure I just discovered our recent VMWare cluster outages (can't http to any ESXi nodes, VMs just drop off entirely) are caused by Microsoft Forefront on the Virtualcenter server.

feld fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 7, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

adorai posted:

Oracle is straight up awesome, but only if you have a team dedicated to it. For most shops where you have some says admins who know how to google up some SQL poo poo, oracle is not a fit.

I heartily disagree. It's a disgusting monster of a database and you will forever fear upgrading it.

1) The upgrades are messy and awful. Have to do soooo many things manually (scripts, giant SQL, etc) and the only option is restore from backup if you hit an error .... you won't know until you search / call Oracle and they point out which ORA-XXXXX it is.)

2) Upgrading is Russian Roulette. Customers pay Oracle BIG MONEY to fix their problems with the query planner. It might not even be the correct behavior, but if you have the right pull with Oracle they'll make changes to it. And now your queries could horribly underperform or your carefully designed hints are now useless.

3) You're not supposed to use hints in production, but you have to because fixes to the query planner can take YEARS.... and they might not be in your favor.

4) TNSListener

If you're a very picky SQL admin who is able to dig deep into database issues and root out little problems most people write off you'd love Postgres. Tom Lane is begging for people like you because he will fix the query planner to be right if you manage to find a deficiency. Worth dipping your toes in to the Pg ecosystem if you have time because it will definitely pay off.

Oracle can do some interesting stuff -- I happen to know the people who write TOAD over at Quest. It's a huge industry that is slowly dying, but man... :signings: Some people would rather pay Oracle $100K+/yr than hire a second DBA to increase productivity and performance using proper alternatives.

edit: can you imagine an entire CMS ecosystem generated on the fly using PL/SQL? I mean, all the content stored in the database as BLOBs, all the HTTP, Javascript, PHP, etc generated on the fly from various packages and tables and dblinks and oh god... yes... 20+million lines of PL/SQL. I've seen it. It's what the end of the world looks like. And you can't scale it.

feld fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 7, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

evil_bunnY posted:

If you've never touched Linux before Slackware may not be the best of ideas.

On the contrary, I'd say it's a fantastic idea. You'll be able to figure out what awful broken things they've jammed into the latest Ubuntu/Fedora release and be able to work around/disable them. It's going to be an uphill battle, but it will be worth it.

Also I'd like to plug FreeBSD just because it will give you similar exposure with a bit less uphill battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Tequila25 posted:

I plan on doing this with the switches, SAN disks, hosts, etc.

But Fault Tolerant VMs will not lose connectivity if I understand this correctly, right?

I made a diagram for how I have my connections laid out on my two switches, but now that HOST1 is up and running, I realize that it uses controller 0 on the SAN for just about everything and the SAN keeps complaining that my second LUN is not on the preferred path, because all the I/O is going through controller 0. This should fix itself when HOST 2 is up and running through SAN controller 1, but is that a bad idea? Any suggestions on if I need to change my connections and how to change them?

Edit: Or can I change the ESX config on HOST1 to change paths to use both controllers?

Dell MD SANs want you to always use the primary raid controller for everything. In the event you yank that controller out or it has a real failure, it will fail over to the other one. However, you'll continue to see "preferred path" messages until you move all LUN traffic back to the other (primary) controller. They do not handle load balancing across the controllers.