Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Ah ok I never run into that because I limit the number of hosts in my datastore by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Syano posted:

Walked in this morning to a 3 node hyper-v cluster with 1 node down and all VMs offline/missing. This should not happen! :argh: Its looking like so far that whatever crashed the first hosts subsequently crashed the clustering service on the remaining 2 hosts. Won't know til I can get the first host, which is now sitting at 'configuring memory', to boot. Thank heavens a reboot of the remaining two hosts resulted in all the VMs auto starting like they are supposed to. What a pisser.

This wouldn't have happened if you owned a gun had vmware :smuggo:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It was a joke.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Erwin posted:

Veeam released a new version of their Backup & Replication software today or recently, and I think their support is swamped. When I called earlier for an unrelated issue, someone had changed their hold music to circus music :laugh:

That's pretty entertaining, most corporations don't allow their drones to be that self aware.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

we're testing 5 of these http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/precision-r5500/pd to do passthru graphics on vmware + xendesktop combo. They come in next week so we'll see how good they do in testing but initial research has been promising at actually delivering near desktop experience.

Racking workstations as a VDI implementation. We have a few experts at that here :smug:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

1000101 posted:

Unfortunately I believe none of the new features are actually exposed in the thick client so you're pretty much stuck having to roll out the web client.

What the gently caress made them think this was OK?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sylink posted:

I'm surprised they don't make a custom Linux appliance with vSphere on it that you can load up, say in a VM and then use that to manage everything, which frees them up from Windows installs.

They could probably expand the vCenter appliance similarly.

I've been asking this for years.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Noghri_ViR posted:

Is anyone running Exchange over NFS? I know it's not supported but I've seen reports of people doing it and it running quite well. I was told that if you ever need support on it you just vmotion over to an iSCSI datastore and then call up support.

Why wouldn't you just use iSCSI?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Loten posted:

We're currently trying to reduce the amount of rack space we're using, so we're in the process of P2Ving older servers onto more powerful ESX hosts.

For the most part I've been using the latest version of VMware converter, but have hit a snag with a few of the servers that have GPT partitions as these aren't compatible with the tool. I've done some research and it looks like other, similar tools like ShadowProtect have the same problem.

I'm in the process of trying a bare metal restore, but is anyone aware of a better way?

Well first P2V isn't always the best thing to do. I use it primarily to setup boxes with legacy software that we no longer have support to do a fresh install of.

But you gotta do what you gotta do.

When doing the P2V setup only P2V the C: drive. Then create your other two volumes manually and robocopy their data over from old server to new server.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

madsushi posted:

Typically you have CIM drivers installed that will pass the detailed hardware information to ESXi. HP and Dell have ESXi ISOs that come with these drivers preinstalled. But, that's what you're looking for: CIM drivers for the LSI raid controller, which may or may not exist.

This. By the way does anyone have the ESX 5.1 link for HP handy? I'd like to give it a spin but gently caress trying to find it on their godawful website.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That or go to a worker server paradigm, but at that point you may as well go bare metal and yes I'm flogging myself for saying that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So apparently I'm getting a free upgrade to vCloude Suite Standard.

This poo poo looks complicated and I have no clue how I could use it in my environment. Still... free.

EDIT: Urgh reading the documentation is like being assaulted by some buzzword spitting monster.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 29, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You guys aren't really doing much to dispel the notion that I should hold off on my 5.1 migration.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Edit: Replied to ancient post without realizing it. Hi thread.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

three posted:

vSphere is a significantly more well-rounded and feature-rich product than its competition, in my opinion. But, you know how many people actually USE all of those features? Not many. There are still people in 2013 that don't have DRS enabled. :psyduck:

The war to overtake the hypervisor isn't about being better than ESXi; it's about being "good enough." It won't be long.

DRS was brand new to me when I installed vMware 5.0 for the first time and upon reading up on it I was like "Oh hell yeah" and turned that poo poo on. I won't lie and say I make use of every feature set that VMWare has, but I'm making a good attempt at it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have another question for you virtualization gurus.
Would it be better to virtualize one Windows Domain Controller taking advantage of oVirt's high availability or stick to Windows Server Failover Clustering between 2 separate domain controllers on identical hardware?
I obviously don't have time to test one versus the other and I'm just fishing around for use cases or at least a more experienced opinion.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'll be using Server 2012

This isn't even a virtualization question, more of a MS best practices question and both responses you gave as possible answers are wrong. The correct answer is two completely separate domain controllers (No microsoft cluster bullshit) hardware be damned. Expecting to leverage some VM HA/windows clustering HA is just borrowing trouble.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On-topic: I have no idea what I'm doing. Tonight I'm going to celebrate the new year. Tomorrow I'll be tackling the virtualization of Windows.
I'm shooting for a clustered Domain Controller virtualized on oVirt.
It is my understanding that in a virtualized windows environment the AD is the weak point. So I need to read up on how to deploy and manage an AD-detached cluster in a VM. Then I get to figure out how to make the AD VM as robust as possible.

loving hell don't shotgun this.

Do you have a domain controller already? If yes:

1. Build new server, join the domain.
2. Sort the time options: Google is your friend. Last I read the current practice is install vmtools or what the gently caress ever retarded off brand virtualization you are using, have it pull from the ESX server and have ESX pull from an external NTP source. I use the US Navies :sun:. Microsofts is good too.
3. Install active directory/DNS/DHCP/whatever.
4. Seize dem roles
5. Build another new server, steps 1-3 again.
6. Decommission old server.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean setting up a failover cluster for some of our services like SQL, DNS, and the print server. Yes it's that important and holy poo poo I want to set fire to every printer in the building.

You just made me realize that there might be an EMR application setup in such a way, and it's completely out of my control.

Microsoft Failover clustering is a big fat loving waste of time and money 95% of the time. DNS will take care of itself (It's designed to if you install it on multiple servers). Print server failover cluster is stupid and dumb. And I admittedly couldn't be arsed to do it for SQL in a virtual environment either considering my Stopped not running state to fully online and serving data is in the sub minute range when virtualized and how daffy Microsoft failover clustering can be.

EDIT: Seconding the "In way over your head" thing. And the fact that you aren't even going to do it all with well documented (read licensed) toolsets is just barfy as gently caress. Excuse me while I vmotion some poo poo around just because I can. *right clicks*

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 31, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

not all of it, we just have a shitton of them doing nothing so my boss wanted to get them all cloudy

I've got 2 c6100 (the xs-23 ty3 pieces of poo poo)
Just finished building and fixing 3 dell 2900's
2 hp proliant dl580 G4
3 HP proliant DL 360 G5
a dell PE 6950 and attached MD1000

Plus whatever similar hardware we can free up once we begin to virtualize things.
Yes, our production environment will be running on really old poo poo.

dude just quit.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm installing ESXi inside a Virtualbox machine.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Is it normal for VCSA 6 to take like 10 minutes to become available? The generic "welcome to vsphere 6 bla bla" site comes up almost immediately, but then it just sits in a broken state and won't let me click through to the actual webUI without cryptic errors for a good 10 minutes.

My VCSA is at minimum specs but I still kind of :rolleyes: at 10 minutes.

Sounds like you just said "Rhyme, don't upgrade to Vsphere 6."