Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I have a very basic VM on my laptop for playing with Ubuntu. Recently I installed WSL which I think affected my VM somehow... when I tried to boot it back up from a suspended state I got this error message:

"The features supported by the processors in this machine are different from the features supported by the processors in the machine on which the virtual machine state was saved."

and I couldn't get back to the session I was in and had to reboot the VM.

Which isn't really a big deal, but now I can't connect to the internet from my VM anymore. Any ideas? VMWare hasn't been blacklisted by the Windows firewall or anything as far as I can tell but I'm an idiot so I can't actually tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Happiness Commando posted:

WSL uses Hyper-V. Were you using Hyper-V to run your Ubuntu VM, and did the WSL installer change some Hyper-V setting or create some network bridge or something?

Hyper-V is involved according to the results that came up when I searched that error message, but if my VM uses it it certainly wasn't on purpose since I have no idea what Hyper-V is. The VM is just whatever happens when you use the free version of VMWare and install Ubuntu from an ISO and just click "Sure, whatever" on all the setup dialogs.

When I installed WSL it definitely said it was making some kind of important changes to the system and needed admin authorization and a reboot. Again, whatever the installer does if you click "Sure, whatever" on all the dialogs.

SlowBloke posted:

If he used virtualbox to run the vm, adding wsl2 will make it inoperable.

It's VMWare and as far as I can tell works fine, it's just the internet that's hosed.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
tried a few different times yesterday, restarting the machine, restarting VMWare, poking around options, didn't work

opened it up today and its' fixed itself lol

must have needed to restart windows or something

turd in my singlet fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 5, 2022