Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
For a while there I was running ESX 5.0 with the trial key then downgraded to ESXi 4.1. Now I see that ESXi 5.0 is out. I wish they'd done this earlier so I didn't put in the effort to recreate VMs to suit. :argh:

Looks like I'll have to install this new version and see if I can get USB 3.0 working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

three posted:

There is no such thing as ESX 5.0. :eng101:

This is true. I don't think I'll ever manage to remember their naming schemes.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

What kind of performance increase in processing power should I expect from hyperthreading? This is for a home whitebox lab setup.

All my google searches hint at around a 20% performance increase.

additional info:

I have the option of getting a chip real cheap, but options are limited (i5-2500 or i7-2700k). I really think i would rather lose the 20% in cpu performance and gain VT-D so I can properly pass through disks and such to VMs.

edit:
new chips
i5-2500 $100
i7-2700k $180

edit 2:
Looks like if I spend a little more I can have my cake and eat it too. The e3-1230 supports VT-D and HT.

edit 3:
Cheaping out with the i5-2500, using the savings for a nice SSD to run VMs from.

For heavy processing jobs that I do I expect 30% increase from the hyper threads. This is generally true but a 20% increase running VMs sounds realistic when heavily loaded.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mierdaan posted:

I'm sorry, did I stress enough that a loving VMware tech recommended I update my NIC firmware by running the firmware update tool in a Windows guest VM?

I prefer going the hardware upgrade path, especially when I'm running a VM inside a windows VM. I just haven't figured how to physically remove the virtual NIC. :v:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Corvettefisher posted:

Wow I can't believe I just found this out...
http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html
Might help some people here

I know the backup API calls are disappearing (though I might be able to use it due to running an older version of ESXi). Are there any other pieces of useful free software for managing VMs that I should know about?

e: I've been running ESXi for quite some time now. I couldn't actually imagine not having a server running VMs at home. I didn't know that I'd find it this useful.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I looked at the savemyserver link and I'm a bit pissed off. I'm in the arse end of the world and everyone tries to sell old servers for ridiculous prices. Some so ridiculous you could just buy a new server. :argh:

You guys are lucky.

e: In relation to ram I recommend having a fair amount. I made some changes and my ESXi box only has 4 gigs of ram. I'm only actively running 2 VMs at the moment but when I install a new VM it often passes the point where 80-90% of the ram is in use. I believe that's about when disk swapping becomes terrible. So terrible that a couple of weeks ago it kicked everyone off one of the VMs.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DevNull posted:

So is anyone using or thinking of using the 3D acceleration feature released with ESX5.1? I would be interested in hearing about people's experience with it so far.

What sort of 3d support is provided? Is it limited to a single gpu manufacturer or is it more generic? What is needed to get it running in a VM?