Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've seen pretty mixed results with Veeam.

We basically just said we're not going to backup anything over 100GB with it, and that seems to have eliminated most of our issues, but we also haven't upgraded to version 6. Anything ends up being slow gradual changes, because the initial full backups take forever, so we're not really able to add more than 1-2 servers a night to a job.

We were never able to get the super fancy U-AIR or Surebackup stuff working the way we wanted with 5, and just back burnered it until 6 came out, but ended up revamping our longer term architecture to eventually phase Veeam out.

Our support experiences have been ok, unless you ride someones rear end it seems pretty easy for them to forget you, and if you have one-off type issues, don't really expect to get a good answer to why something happened. They could also do with a lot more "best practice" type documentation, outside of "here's how you install it", it seems to be a lot of trial and error and forum threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Erwin posted:

Anyway, can anyone lay out the steps needed to create a 2008 R2 VM template, and use it to create VMs that join to the domain as specified in the customization wizard?

Silly question, did you use WSIM to create your xml?

That stuff seems like it changed quite a bit between 2008 and 2008R2. We don't use the customization stuff built into VMWare at all, but just have a generic sysprepped 2008R2 image sitting as a template, used WSIM to generate everything it worked like a champ.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Alctel posted:

Ok, so backing up a VSphere 5.0 enviroment, 2 ESXi servers, ~20 machines.

Having to choose between Veeam, Commvault, VRanger (and symantic ahahaaha)

I am leaning heavily towards Veeam but my manager has heard great things about Commvault and wants to go with them

halp

If your environment is small, Veeam seems to work pretty well, but gets squirelly and terrible as things get bigger

Do you already have Commvault in place? It's kind of overkill to backup 2 VMWare servers.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 12, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Alctel posted:

How big is 'bigger?' We probably have about 3-4 TB of data (most of it on 2 file servers).

We don't use it for any servers over 100GB, that seems to have gotten rid of most of our problems.

I haven't had super sassy support, but overall most of our support experiences have not been great, I end up figuring things out at a higher rate than the Veeam people do, and god help you if you have an issue you can't 100% repro.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bitch Stewie posted:

Thanks and yeah I know the process is, but so is putting a Windows 7 disc in a Vista machine and hitting upgrade - what you end up with isn't your ideal though IYSWIM and I didn't know if there's any parallel with vSphere to have to think about?

No, generally the only thing you have to worry about is upgrades that involve version changes to VMFS, but we haven't had a really nasty one of those in a while.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cidrick posted:

VMWare would make a mint by adding a paid extension that completely hides all things VMWare from dmidecode, lspci, and the like, just from admins who want to prevent braindead developers from blaming their performance issues on the hypervisor.

"No way man, you're totally running on your own dedicated 12-core 48GB box, man. It's your code."

OH hay it's like you've been on the conference calls with our BI vendor this week....

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wibble posted:

Veeam decided to delete all images from the production backup this weekend after I dared to add a new VM to the backup. The NAS sits there mocking me with its 1.99TB free space :shepicide:

Ugh, that blows, getting all those initial fulls with Veeam is a sloooooooow process.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

madsushi posted:

The way the licensing works is that you have to own the hardware your licenses run on. Either the MSP or whoever is using their SPLA license and they own the hardware, or you are using your regular licenses and you own the hardware. A lot of companies will do some shady leasing stuff to change "ownership" (like the MSP leases the hardware to you for $1 but retains control) but that gets into muddy waters.

That's not entirely true, if you have a volume license with software assurance, and are working with an authorized provider, you can leverage this for some things:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/license-mobility.aspx

OS is still provided by the provider though, but that's fairly cheap via SPLA.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mierdaan posted:

All I've read so far is they're rolling a lot of the paid features into one SKU, vCloud Suite 5.1, and Enterprise Plus customers get a free upgrade to the Standard version or a discount on an upgrade to the Enterprise version.

edit: source

Ha, kept trying to convince my boss to upgrade to Enterprise Plus, but that bucket always mysteriously disappeared every year. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Corvettefisher posted:

Wow I can't believe I just found this out...
http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html
Might help some people here

Welcome to the suck!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

Even though everyone hates Veeam (I am slowly beginning to as our scope for it expands), download the free version of Veeam and use Veeam Zip. Easy peasey.

Yeah, agreed, for this it should be a-ok.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Frozen-Solid posted:

When it comes to virtualizing things like exchange that use all the ram you give them, how do I know if I should allocate more memory to the VM?

Right now our new server is floating at 8.3-8.4 GB used out of the 10 we gave it. Everything seems to be running fine. It's a small server with 75 users and 25 GB of mailboxes. I'd like to say that we are fine since we're not at 100% memory on the VM. I'm just not sure how to tell definitively.

This may depend on the application honestly, there may be different sets of perfmon counters, etc. to check to determine if you're experiencing memory pressure or not.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This is only partly virtualization related, but what idiot designed the vmworld schedule builder? OH HAY, HERE'S A LIST OF 700 loving THINGS, HAVE FUN SCROLLING THROUGH THEM INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING AT A CALENDAR VIEW LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE WOULD DO.

(nm, taking it to bitching thread before I have a stroke)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 4, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This may be a dumb question, but is there a preferred "go to" USB drive for diskless ESXi machines, or should I just be buying a case of 16GB+ flash drives and swapping them out when they die?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is anyone here actually considering evo rails for branch offices?

I'm indifferent about them after I probed the arch of them.

I've hard a hard time imagining up a use case for them just based on the lack of flexibility in config. Nothing against hyperconverged blah blah in general, it's just not sized right for anywhere I could justify spending the money for it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not sure if this is a better storage or virtualization thread question, but anyone running Simplivity that would be willing to share their thoughts?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

Probably a better question for the storage thread. What are your questions? It's hyperconverged with the usual pro's and con's of hyperconverged. It's doesn't have a large presence so there's not a ton of information out there. We're looking at partnering with them, but haven't gotten any demo equipment yet unfortunately. Our Nutanix demo didn't go very well.

Mainly just the standard "is this a giant pile of horseshit" questions and curious if people are happy with it (your Nutanix example seems apt).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Curious to see how the GPL vs VMWare lawsuit that was filed today goes, assuming the stuff in this FAQ is accurate, VMWare seems fairly shady. I also guess I didn't really realize how much of esxi was still basically just modified linux:

http://sfconservancy.org/linux-compliance/vmware-lawsuit-faq.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

jre posted:

Interesting, although its incredibly vague about what they are claiming vmware have done.

I'm curious why they feel anyone cares about this bit as well.

They're basically saying vmware took gplv2 code, incorporated it into their own vmkernel effort and then ignored the gplv2 license terms.

quote:

This case is specifically regarding a combined work that VMware allegedly created by combining their own code (“vmkernel”) with portions of Linux's code, which was licensed only under GPLv2

I'm assuming they're just giving some background on the guy because he's the one suing. Seemed reasonable to me.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 6, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone running Intel x710 nics and having purple screens under any kind of actual load with ESXi 5.5? These loving things are on the HCL, but everyone seems to be pointing fingers around and Intel seems to be a bit of a giant retarded unresponsive roadblock.

I found one guy with a forum posts suggesting that turning off some of the offload features magically makes things happier, but we can't seem to reproduce this reliably with any kind of artificial loads to test that out :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kachunkachunk posted:

Post or PM your purple screens (maybe the latter if you want to share your case number) and I can give it a gander.

Sent a PM with the case #, we've also got a case open with our hardware vendor.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Is it normal for VCSA 6 to take like 10 minutes to become available? The generic "welcome to vsphere 6 bla bla" site comes up almost immediately, but then it just sits in a broken state and won't let me click through to the actual webUI without cryptic errors for a good 10 minutes.

My VCSA is at minimum specs but I still kind of :rolleyes: at 10 minutes.

as far as I can tell, yes

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using any software based encryption solutions for vmware? We're going back and forth between something like HyTrust vs moving smaller hosts (without shared storage) over to self encrypting drives.

(these are primarily windows guests which means no bitlocker)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

Anyone else go to LA VMWorld?

Is this LA vmug or something? I went to US vmworld this year and the VMware parts of it were garbage, some good sessions and vendor meet ups though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vulture Culture posted:

You mostly pay for QA. Ask me about the two weeks I lost to Emulex's dog poo poo handling of SFP+ twinax connections.

Some NICs do iSCSI in hardware, etc. You really just need the basic hardware offload features that have been around for a decade unless you're doing crazy kernel-bypass poo poo like high-frequency traders.

We spent two weeks fighting with Intel X710s (yay PSODs) before just getting our VAR to replace them all :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Morganus_Starr posted:

Maybe I missed a thread on this, but does anyone have any recommendations or experience with setting up/running a private cloud with Azure Stack/Azure Pack? I found a few technet articles and blogposts online about setting this up, but was curious if there are any shops out there that have deployed this, particularly a hosted VM infrastructure using the Azure pack frontend. Essentially I am looking at migrating away from Citrix Xenserver to hyper-v on my hosting backend, and trying to leverage a good frontend portal that will allow customer self-service and automated billing, particularly with VM hosting in mind.

Depends what you're looking for. We've looked at going Azure pack in the past but at this point are just going to wait out for Azure Stack, what I saw and talked to program managers at Ignite about has me pretty excited about the prospects for Azure Stack, and seemed like a waste of time spending that on Azure Pack vs cleanup/other backlog stuff right now. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using Rubrik for backups/DR? We've been talking to them and the product looks interesting, just curious what peoples real world impressions were.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is running OS X on ESXi still technically even legal (based on the El Capitan EULA) on Apple hardware?

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, noncommercial use.

The "that is already running the apple software" parts seems to be saying to me that "oh hay, it's cool to run this in vmware fusion or virtual box or something", but not "it's cool guys, run this in ESXi". All the discussion I've seen about it has primarily been 2-5 years old.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Philthy posted:

Is there a build list for a nice cheap home lab? I'm looking to dump esxi 6.0 on something to build a test domain for 2016 servers.

I spare parted together a c2q 8gb system, but Dell doesn't put freaking vt-x in their bios. So I'd probably just want mb/cpu/mem or something and step up everything a notch.

I see cheap Dell 1650 servers on ebay for $200, but that would probably cost $40 a month in electricity alone.

If you keep an eye on slickdeals, ThinkServer towers come up pretty often in the $200-300 range.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the current status of running MacOS guest on Windows or BSD host? I tried to look around but most information seems to be either wrong, outdated, or both.

Technical or legal?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DeaconBlues posted:

What's the best (cheapest) way of virtualising a legit copy of Windows?

If I install with an OEM key and I need to scrap the VM and reinstall it then Windows will think my hardware has changed, yes? Then it won't let me use the OEM key a second time.

Buy a retail copy.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We've got a number of small sites with maybe 1-2 hypervisors that are connected back over site to site VPNs to a central vcenter. I was doing some network digging at one of those sites that was complaining about slow performance and noticed that for the last month, the second "top talker" behind the backup host replicating data off site was the local ESXi 5.5 box.

It looks like it's pushing maybe 2 gigs of data a night back up to the vcenter box (TCP over port 902), and usually this is around say 9:30-9:45PM to maybe 12:30AM. This seems to be a daily recurring process.

Anyone have any idea what this is? I was under the impressions statistics were gathered more frequently. CBT related maybe? Backups are done on site using Commvault and then replicated offsite.

Normally wouldn't be hugely concerned about this, but for a number of remote sites the only decent connectivity options also have transfer limits. :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

Do your hypervisor or vCenter logs show any user / service accounts logging into vcenter or the hypervisor at that time? Do they show anything at that time?

What kind of throughput are we talking about, Kbits, Mbits?

Not sure what kind of throughput we're talking, this particular site has Merakis and they tend to smooth things out reporting wise to an insane degree, but the amount of data transfer is in gigabytes, roughly 60+ gigs a month for a relatively small host with 3 vms on it. Generally speaking the timing corresponds to our backup windows, which is why I was wondering if it was CBT or something related there.

I was going to dig through the logs more, but was just curious if anyone had any off hand thoughts.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Come on now, don't you boys and girls remember oracle wanting you to license all sockets on your cluster for apps, no matter how many you had passed to the VM running said apps?

They still want you to do that. We have to run a separate vcenter with dedicated hosts in them that can't in any way communicate for each different Oracle licensing model to avoid them saying "license everything" because no one wants to spend the $$$ to battle it out with them court (although other folks have).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

evol262 posted:

It's Hyper-v? Nothing against Hyper-v, but I wish they'd finally support nested virt, and make Gen2 VMs running non-Microsoft operating systems less of a PITA.

Server 2016 does bring nested virt

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So anything exciting at VMWorld this year? First year I've skipped in a while, and so far it doesn't look like anything super exciting beyond "WE'LL MANAGE ALL YOUR CLOUDS LOL"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Did vCloud Air ever get off the ground?

They pretty much said "yeah that poo poo ain't working, we'll help with your public cloud stuff" at this years vmworld.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Mysteries abound with my issue of the default 6.5 Intel x710 drivers not working with NetApp.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...r&sortOrder=Asc

VMware is moving from vmklinux drivers to native drivers and instead of incrementing the version numbers they are leaving it to you, the poor sucker who has to run this poo poo, to just guess that the lower rev number is actually the most current driver. But the native driver has some kind of compatibility issue with NetApp so you can't use it at the moment, though it might get fixed at some point. Maybe. Who knows.

So now I get to go talk to NetApp and VMware support at the same time and I expect it to be the most painful experience in the world.

We had nothing but sadness and purple screens with the x710 drivers and vmware, it was bad enough we said gently caress it and switched out fleet back to the x520s :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm about ready to get a gas can and light these X710's on fire, the firmware and drivers are absolute garbage. Hopefully Dell will bite on swapping them out for X520's, I've stumped the majority senior support people with getting these stupid things to handle LACP correctly.

That's where we were at and we basically told our rep to give us X520s or they were getting the whole order back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Smashing Link posted:

Are any of you all familiar with Ravello? They offer a service that can host ESXi in the cloud on Amazon and Google. Would it be feasible to get mac OS Sierra running on this kind of platform and then be able to access it through a reasonably well-powered Chromebook?

Maybe feasible, not legal.