Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I am really wanting to get my feet wet into some Ubuntu/KVM systems. I have setup a DevStack lab, and a vanilla Ubuntu KVM server.

Is the current offering for GUI KVM management really this bad? The Virtual Machine Manager is really quite clunky, and Proxmox...

I am comfortable with CLI, but I am spoiled with ESXi and Vsphere.

Is there anything out there that is even half as nice as Virtualbox, as far as GUI management of KVM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Basically just to explore and play with that hypervisor. I have a bunch of experience with ESXi and I am completely comfortable with it. I just like to explore other options, and push my comfort zones.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

This is all really great information and insight. Thanks for helping me to understand how KVM fits in to the greater picture of things. As you can tell I'm greatly uninformed as to how Esxi truly compares or doesn't compare to KVM based virtualization platforms.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

TooLShack posted:

What is one of the best ways to back up VMs? I'm running 6.7 and just learning all of this, I did one of the no-nos and didn't use a network storage as my datastore. I did snap shots but I've read to not trust them. I bought just vSphere Essentials, not the plus so I don't have the cool things like Vmotion. My company is small so I have to do things the cheapest way possible most of the time.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Veeam. B&R Essentials is cheap per socket.

Veeam now has a community-supported version for FREE :allears:

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html