Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlowBloke posted:

Renewal deadlines for perpetual SnS is February if our VAR are not lying, afterwards you can only buy new subscriptions. Until the recent changes at the end of last year, you could still purchase perpetual subs and the attached SnS, VAR scored a lot of fresh sales once the Broadcom acquisition news went public.

Yeah, I pulled our renewal from 12/23. "Horizon 8 Standard Term per Concurrent User 1 year term license". So we have still avoided the Horizon Universal (or any previous short lived naming schemes) that our revolving door of VMware reps have tried to push.

Since my budget is already destroyed, might as well try and tack on another year or two of SnS at the "when I was young" price if possible. I've been happy with Horizon, was in the middle of doing App Volume packaging/testing for a shift for some departments over to Instant Clones (from persistent desktops) and sneak in a little W10 to W11 change-up. Probably slow that down until we figure out who is buying the EUC stuff.

afflictionwisp posted:

Our rep has warned us to expect WorkspaceOne and the Horizon stack to be spun off into a separate company within the next couple years.

Meh, for our minimal use case and how wide of a feature set they keep shoving into WSOne (and complex it has grown to since the AirWatch dats), I am fine with it. Without even looking into the actual product. I have already made up my mind on "Simple MDM" based on the name alone. But I am sure we will have Intune blindly shoved into our laps due to having E3 licenses across the org. Yay. I swear every day I am one step closer to rage quitting because they took away our tiny departments Slack paid subscription and have forced us to teams. Hopefully these folks don't remember that Teams can technically be a pbx/phone system too. We had another blind management decision to migrate from on-prem voip over to Zoom a few years back. Its fine functionally, and cheap Yealink phones are actually nice quality/features set, but we wen't from paying nearly nothing for old system to paying more than nothing annually.

the spyder posted:

Yes. Yes we are. I highly recommend exploring alternatives, regardless of the pricing. I dare even say HyperV if you're looking to leverage Datacenter Server 2022/2025 licensing.

I have a multi domain UCS environment coming up on EOL (B200 M4/M5), something like 3000 VM's. I'll sanitize/round for the sake of making it digestible.
My quote for 2,500 cores, standard vSphere, vCenter, and special VDI licensing (10,000 users) went from $1.2m in August to $5.5million last week. 5 years commit.
We're a non-profit and that's money that won't go into patient care. We are obviously exploring options. (edited to include VDI)

Yeah, I run datacenter licensing across all my server VM hosts as well (a fraction of your environment tho). With my planned hardware refresh in 2024, I would end up with like 320 cores for my server workloads. I budgeted like $10k for the existing vSphere standard SnS, $40k up upgrade a "primary production" cluster of hosts to Enterprise Plus, and maybe like $100k for Windows Datacenter licensing.

Probably going to end up re-allocating the Enterprise Plus and Datacenter Licensing moola. Continue with host upgrades (and some fancy new switches, going 10gbe to 25gbe for my collapsed core route/switch virtual chassis) and squeeze in a year or two of Horizon SnS, old pricing was only like $10/user/year for support (but don't want to extend too far with the unknown new owner). Windows Datacenter licensing will just get re-budgeted for 2025 (would have waited until fall when Server 2025 drops anyway). Still a slight panic while trying to sort out these numbers I had to submit back in June of '23. At least our finance and upper management is good, so if do need more cash, a budget amendment should go through without issue.

Anyone have to janitor XCP-NG? Is that any more "enterprise ready" than Proxmox?

Edit- I guess whatever the future brings, I'll currently be running on VMware, MS or Citrix for the VDI hosts. Forgot to think about our current vGPU deployment, which has actually been clean/smooth sailing.

gently caress you Broadcom. I'm down, let's Occupy Wall Street.

Thank you all for attending my ted talk.

Moey fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Pile Of Garbage posted:

New batch of ESXi/Fusion/Workstation sandbox-escape vulnerabilities, all of them critical: https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/03/vmware-issues-patches-for-critical-sandbox-escape-vulnerabilities/. I've a feeling some poor souls are going to spend the weekend patching.

Edit: on closer inspection the vulnerabilities only affect the USB controller so the workaround is to just remove any USB controllers from all your VMs.

I will admit, Lifecycle Manager + DRS makes this pretty hands off.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CommieGIR posted:

I tend to see the worst in companies because of doing Security.

Over the years at current gig we have done a handful of security audits, internal/external/physical/social/yada yada.

I will honestly say I've never been overly impressed with the tech/security/pen test/any staff. Almost all have seemed to be silo'ed from birth and never thought about wondering how something outside their small bread box works.

We just had the on-site portion of one done a month or two ago, and I actually enjoyed working with the few folks who came out. Multiple folks knowledgeable across just about everything within scope of what we requested.

10/10, will let them probe me again.