Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I didn't see a clearly defined answer here but maybe I missed it. My understanding of the VMware Essentials Plus package was a 192GB VRAM limit across 3 hosts, 6 processors, and you may only allocate a maximum of 32GB of VRAM *per instance*. Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ah per socket would make sense... but would also shoot my idea of two R610s with 96GB vRAM each directly in the foot.

Edit: Reading the lingo on the VMware Website it says "VRAM Entitlement is the amount of virtual memory configured to a virtual machine."

So my original understanding appears to be correct. It is 32GB per running virtual instance, 192GB VRAM total allotment. Not per socket.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 13, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there any real concern about virtualizing your domain controllers and going 100% virtualized? I've never done it but I'm kinda wondering if we could just put everything on ESXi - or would I regret that for some untold reason?

e: Hell, if you think this is a stupid question, realize that I only recently realized you can P2V a vCenter server into the same group of hosts that it manages - I thought it had to be on the outside looking in, a-doyyyy

The only concern to note is that you don't want both DC VMs running on the same physical box for failure reasons. As long as they're on separate hosts you're fine. (Unless you have a license for VMware that includes HA, in which case YMMV as to whether or not the HA migration on failure causes your DCs to poo themselves)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I know next to nothing about HyperV but doesn't it use Windows clustering, which requires AD? That would require an annoying bootstrap process to get working and then of course should the cluster ever fail..

Vmware wins again.

Hyper-V just installs a barebones version of Server 2k8 R2 to run the hypervisor, it doesn't require AD at all. If you've got multiple Hyper-V hosts though this becomes a problem since multi-host management is handled by Server Center. I only tested out Hyper-V with one physical host before deciding to go with VMware, so I didn't have to worry about managing multiple Hyper-V Hosts.

That being said I'd still keep at least one DC on each physical host, and not put your eggs all in one basket with two virtual DCs running on the same Hyper-V Host.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 14, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

underlig posted:

Wouldn't it be better in that case to run hyper-v core server? (since hyper-v server core is "free" there is no difference in what you pay).

What you loose is the ability to start/restart/setup guests directly on the host and most other settings, you need hyper-v manager installed on another machine, but at the same time i figure there would be "less" of things that needs updates when you do not have the regular windows gui. Am i completely wrong?

I'll actually expand that question, are there less updates and as a result less restarts due to installation of those updates on server core machines?

Installing Core over a full GUI means very little if you're running a small number of VMs on the machine and have the available resources. The majority of your updates are going to be applied to the virtual machine, not the physical host, unless MS pushes updates out for Hyper-V itself.

For a first time hyper-v user it's probably easier to do a full install.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Virtualization is a schrodinger's cat where their code was touching all and none of the silicon in a host all at once.

I'm gonna use this line in a board meeting.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oh and you have HA/vMotion enabled? Well you're going to need to license all 3 hosts in the cluster too because it could potentially run there eventually.

TBF this is how MS does all of their licensing for server poo poo, sooooooo thats not unique.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Since when? Last I did this standard gave you two guests regardless of underlying hardware, enterprise was 4, and datacenter was unlimited by hypervisor socket.

Since 2012.

Server Standard - 2 Guest OS per complete licensing of sockets in the host. Minimum of 2 socket required to be licensed.
Server Datacenter - Unlimited Guest OS per complete licensing of all physical sockets in the host.

Starting with 2016 they changed to per-core models instead of per-socket.

VMware / Hyper-V you're required to license all sockets / cores in the cluster as well, and standard only lets you run 2VMs per set of licenses.

Been that way for a loooooong time.

Enterprise died with Server 2008R2 as a licensing concept.

E: Server 2012 Standard was 2-sockets per license per 2 guest VMs. My bad.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 22, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I sat down and did the math at some point and theres definitely a breakpoint in the Essentials+ / Hyper-V 3-hosts-and-a-SAN styled model where Datacenter is more effective, but its juuuuuuuuuuuuuust outside the realm of most companies saying "gently caress it buy it when we get audited"

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Theres no real advantage of having a gpu attached to your vdi instance unless youre gonna do somethinf that requires a gpu.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

snackcakes posted:

I have a two VMWare ESXi 6.7 host setup with shared storage and I want to setup an EVC cluster using a VCSA that lives on these hosts. Is there a better way of moving the appliance into the cluster that I don't know about?

I would think you move all VMs off host 1, move it into cluster, then shutdown the VCSA, remove from inventory on host 2 and then add it to inventory on host 1. I've done this in the past no problem.

Now when you boot the VCSA back up something goes horribly wrong because you can no longer log into the vCenter web client. Management is fine. Shell is fine. I tried to do some reading and it sounds like some database corruption. This wouldn't be a big deal because I can just rebuild the appliance and start over, except then the same thing happens.

Build Host #1
Install vCenter Appliance
Build Host #2 - Add to vCenter management.
Create Cluster
Move Host #2 into cluster.
Live migrate vCenter appliance onto Host #2
Add Host #1 to cluster.

Just built a farm 2 weeks ago starting fresh on 6.7 and that worked fine for me. Basically just don't shut down the appliance. If your other VMs are offline theres no real risk of the host in the cluster and the one not yet migrated sharing a backend storage connection since they aren't really accessing the same disk simultaneously.

E: I find the new requirement that a host has to go into maintenance mode to join a cluster annoying but I'm sure someone way smarter than me had a good reason for that change over at VMware.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sure but none of that applies to some dude asking about building a Win10 VM on his home test server, which is who I was replying to at the time.

E: Thats all good info BTW.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

TooLShack posted:

What is one of the best ways to back up VMs? I'm running 6.7 and just learning all of this, I did one of the no-nos and didn't use a network storage as my datastore. I did snap shots but I've read to not trust them. I bought just vSphere Essentials, not the plus so I don't have the cool things like Vmotion. My company is small so I have to do things the cheapest way possible most of the time.

Veeam. B&R Essentials is cheap per socket.