Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe if they were deploying Azure Stack HCI, it'd make a bit more sense... but wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Broadcom has hosed everything it touches, so I suspect this will be no different.

They seem to get switch chips right, the rest? not so much...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Well theres always proxmox i guess :(

We are unironically looking into this and XCP-NG as alternatives...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

For us, it would be cheaper to hire people to maintain Proxmox / XCP-NG rather than keep paying for VMware.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

Also, this. I don't see VMware doing well under Broadcom with the changes they've announced, between the licensing changes and selling off all the workstation products.

IMHO, VMware is hosed long-term, but Broadcom is going to squeeze existing customers for a while before they can switch to more cost-effective solutions.

Kreeblah posted:

Mainly, I'm just wondering whether Proxmox is reliable and maintained well enough to replace ESXi at home at this point. I've never run into it in the wild, so I have zero experience with it, but at least on paper, it sounds like the platform I'd want to move to (free, supports Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD guest VMs, has some sort of web UI for easy admin tasks, has an API, supports ZFS for VM storage, supports device passthrough so I can pass my GPU through to my Plex VM).

Proxmox is fine for home use. Don't enable clustering just for shits and giggles, read the docs first. I would consider HA an advanced feature.

Potato Salad posted:

can you do azurestack HCI homelab for a good price
:frogout:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

j3rkstore posted:

There's always Azure Stack HCI :v:

I'd rather pay for vmware than deal with that poo poo. Hell, I just sunk a 18 month IT project at work where they tried to push ASHCI on us for OT / SCADA poo poo. It did not survive the IEC 62443-based risk assessment.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I suspect we will see a lot more proxmox over time.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

OpenStack is a no-go, but it sounds like XCP-ng is worth investigating? At least for professional use. I'm happy with proxmox for home use / single host stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are really trying to do here? That sounds cumbersome...