Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My sales rep just tried to sell me vSphere standard edition... For my two, 192gb ram, dual 8 core hosts... He claimed it supported HA and vMotion, and that I only needed one license...

Correct me if I am wrong, but for vSphere Essentials Plus and vCenter foundations, I am looking at $7500~ in licensing for these two hosts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/small-business/compare-kits.html

Under vRam entitlement for Essentials Plus, why does it say "32GB (192GB total)" if it's cumulative?

I have 192gb total across two boxes. However I hope it is not 32gb per machine, but per CPU, which still would not make since. This is a good question and it looks like the Essentials Kit is what I am after. But first I need my E5-2650's to arrive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Dicktrama, here are my labs:

Home:
Xeon e3 1220
Supermicro Board
32GB Kingston value ram
Quad Port Intel 1gb PCIe nic
Samsung 830 240gb SSD
3TB Hitachi

NAS for the above server:
HP Microserver n40l
8GB ram
4x 1.5TB seagate 7200rpm drives
4x 256gb Crucial M4's

I am sadly hosting only a single W7 machine ATM. I just wiped my entire 2k8r2 lab to load 2012 on.

Work:
Some fancy dual 6 core xeon, Napp-it all-in-one Solaris ZFS passthrough serving up 3TB of SSD's and 32TB of spindle drives.

Why are you worried about someone stealing a computer from your office? Check out either servethehome.com or the virtualization section on hardforums for quite a few home lab builds.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
For those running Hyper-V in a large environment, are you boot from local disk or boot from SAN?

We're a ~1000 VM shop and we've hit this bug where the CSV's drop every third blue moon during backups. Many fingers have been pointed, but no solutions from either side.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Moey posted:

Is it just folks who are running high core CPUs getting boned on pricing? Or just rapid large price hike? I mean, I'm not happy my costs are going up, but after going over this, I'm going to forget everything I read about migrating to XCP-NG.

I have a pretty small environment, and getting ready to refresh hosts and shift older poo poo to DR land.

So for vSphere standard, $50/core/year (3 year pricing). Minimum socket-core count is 16.

So with 10x dual CPU (16c each) boxes, im looking at 320c. $50 a pop is $16k annually.

My annual December support renewal for 20 sockets of vSphere standard was less than $7k. Price jump of 250%.

Also, any thoughts on what is going to happen with Horizon? I also run a 400+ seat VDI environment. Hopefully they don't try and rip away the included underlying ESXi licensing for the horizon hosts.

Oh yeah, and use Workspace ONE for MDM, so also waiting to hear bout that.

Yes. Yes we are. I highly recommend exploring alternatives, regardless of the pricing. I dare even say HyperV if you're looking to leverage Datacenter Server 2022/2025 licensing.

I have a multi domain UCS environment coming up on EOL (B200 M4/M5), something like 3000 VM's. I'll sanitize/round for the sake of making it digestible.
My quote for 2,500 cores, standard vSphere, vCenter, and special VDI licensing (10,000 users) went from $1.2m in August to $5.5million last week. 5 years commit.
We're a non-profit and that's money that won't go into patient care. We are obviously exploring options. (edited to include VDI)

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 17, 2024

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Hyper-V as a stand-alone product is going away.

Correct - Hyper-V Server 2019 is the last stand-alone product. For reference, we currently have 100ish Hyper-V hosts ranging from 12 cores, up to 96. In January it was announced Hyper-V will remain as a feature in Server 2025, with new and improved features such as hot patching and NVMEoF. We've got a meeting scheduled with MS to discuss their current plan - as like many other companies, we were told very bluntly all R+D went into Azure Stack HCI and that it was not a 1:1 transition for an org of our size. Hence our initial vSphere and now, AHV migration.

But I would strongly caution running Hyper-V in an environment larger than 4 hosts and absolutely not with life-critical systems on it. There's not a team member I work with who hasn't started loosing their hair due to MS nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I saw an interesting infograph recently. Hypervisors on Nutanix deployments were 60/40 ESXi and AHV respectively in Q3 2023.
In February that switched to 40/60 - all existing clusters, so 20% migrated just in the last 6ish months. HyperV was still single digit numbers, but growing.