Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

CommieGIR posted:

Just use XCP-NG or Proxmox.

And no, Nucs are very expensive, just purchase Dell/HP USMFF machines for half the cost and upgrade them.

As it is, I'll stick with XCP-NG, they haven't cut legacy support and are unlikely to do so, and work happily on my Dell Bladeservers with Opterons and Xeons. You can get out the door with a Dell R720 for the same price as a Nuc.

Alternatively, the little NUC I bought (https://simplynuc.com/ruby/) sips power.

I'm not saying you should equivalence class them, but there are benefits especially in the realm of power:performance.

If electricity is cheap where you are, then never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Okay that's Ryzen powered so I do want that. drat you, rufius.
For perspective: My current workstation is a Asus ROG laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800H 8c/16t and I use it mostly for virtualization when I'm not playing games.

Looks like its got both SODIMM slots available too, so yeah you should be able to crap 64GB of DDR4 into that too.

I know... I bought one because the desktop I have (i7-9700k) uses a lot more power than the NUC and actually has less power than that Ryzen 7.

That little NUC powers my WireGuard VM, a basic Kubernetes cluster running some smaller deployments, my Prom/Grafana server, and a couple other test servers.

I loaded it up with 64GB of RAM and it's been great.

Also - because I'm a heretic, it runs Windows Server because I prefer Hyper-V (I worked at MSFT for a long time - I'm used to Hyper-V).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I am a nice person, why would you say such a horrible thing to me?

Cloud looms large for every sane org but that's actually why we want to stay with VMware for this. With all the focus on skilling up for cloud work, why would we also try switching hypervisors for our on-prem at this late date?

Gotta catch’em all the virtualization skills?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It's a poor man's Erlang. :)

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's the best description of kubernetes I've ever heard.

I have told people roughly something like this before. I wrote a lot of Erlang once upon a time.

When I first encountered k8s, my initial reaction was “huh, someone recreated erlang but shittier and with more steps.”

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

:jail:: "replacing pre-installed BSD programs with their preferred GNU implementation"

This exactly.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

if they weren’t old as balls i wouldnt have to do this.

E: and nothings getting replaced, its just PATH manipulation.

Oldness is only part of it though, at least for me.

There are differences in behavior and cli switches for some of the GNU variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

It's cool how MS don't give a single poo poo about developing that product any further unless you fancy tying it all into Azure

I mean… why would they? It’s a gateway drug to azure and it’s great for the bajillion enterprise customers migrating over time from WinServer.