Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I want to make my old PC into a VM host, but ESXi doesn't seem to like the Realtek NIC, is there some easy way to bypass this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Wibla posted:

Short answer: get an intel nic, the realtek nics are not great.

Long answer: You can find howtos on how to embed drivers for realtek nics online, but really - just get an intel nic. Dual ports are nice.

All those guides don't seem to apply to 6.5 and none of the tools seem to work on Windows 10

anthonypants posted:

Can you define what "doesn't seem to like" means

It says it doesn't like it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I want to put on a selection of WIndows and Linux servers and I want to manage it remotely, other than that I'm open to trying just about anything.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

milk milk lemonade posted:

Uh he already said he's having problems getting the NIC working. That's why I said ovirt won't make much a difference.

Hyper-V requires either a server license or a Pro license. It is also awful for a bunch of things, not least of which is getting a range of Linux distros working. Running it with a GUI is a waste too.

From what I gather from person whose posts I'm responding to they already have a Windows OS to use. So workstation is a fine, easy shortcut that will get around the NIC issues. Thanks for the lesson though?

You know it's rude to talk about a person like they aren't in the room, right? :saddowns:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'll have to find my Intel NICs when I am at my parents place the next time, might try ovirt in the meantime.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

big money big clit posted:

Grab the proper drivers for your Realtek card from https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/List_of_currently_available_ESXi_packages and build a custom ISO with them. They will still work on 6.5.

The tool for making the iso apparently doesn't work on WIndows 10.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'm giving up on virtualizing my old PC, there just isn't a solution that will let me use the shitton of HDDs in there as well as have windows VMs that can use USB devices exclusively.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

What in the world are you trying to do

Run a NAS on the same machine as a Hypervisor.

But yeah, Hyper-V can't even do USB pass-through and everyone else can't do the NAS part.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

H2SO4 posted:

Everything you're trying to do has been possible for years, so I'm betting you're not explaining the use case completely.

There are 5 HDDs in this PC and I want to use them in a NAS configuration while at the same time having VMs running on the CPU. Nothing I tried is able to do that while also providing proper VMs. Hyper-V can't do USB passthrough, VMware can't do anything with the HDDs, the FreeNAS VM stuff is horrible and probably can't do USB passthrough anyway etc.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Nards Pan posted:

How is the NAS set up now? Why does VMWare have to be able to do anything to the hard drives?

Because VMWare has to run on the same hardware as the NAS OS, so one option would have been to just expose the HDDs to a VM

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Erwin posted:

Why? Just present the drives to a VM running FreeNAS or whatever.

VMWare won't let me pas them through, probably because of drivers or w/e.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I've got SATA HDDs connected to the mobo and I need the VMs to be able to use some (other) USB devices.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Perplx posted:

I have an esxi box under my desk right now that's set up the way you want I think. The key is having 2 sata controllers, my motherboard has an asmedia esata port on the back that I pass back into the case which is what I boot off and I pass the intel controller with 6 drives to a linux vm. Also I have a pcie usb 3 card and a 2nd video card I can pass to any vm.

I complicate things even further and do raid and iscsi in the linux vm and pass that back to esxi.

Well while trying to set it up with VMWare I was also considering putting the other VMs onto the NAS inside the VMWare :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

theperminator posted:

You can pass through the SATA HDD's using RDMs. ESXI by default doesn't support this for SATA devices afaik but it can be done using the commandline which I had to do when I virtualized my nas.
http://www.homecomputerlab.com/vmware-sata-disk-raw-device-mapping-rdm

You can also add a USB controller to the VM and pass through USB devices to the guest.

I tried to put an Areca controller in but apparently my hardware doesn't support any PCI passthrough.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

theperminator posted:

Ahh right that makes sense, you'd be able to pass the RDM of the whole volume but that just feels wrong to me.

I wonder if he just needs to turn on VT-d in the bios to allow the pass through?

That's the thing, apparently my Z77 motzherboard doesn't have VT-d and I also read that Intel K processors don't support it at all.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

So maybe use a different motherboard/processor combo for your virtualization project?

Ah yes, let me just buy new hardware for my hardware repurpose project!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

Good, I'm glad you've agreed that it's your hardware's fault and not your virtualization platform.

Man you really got me good, me claiming that VMWare is at fault for this not working. OH WAIT.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Not sure which software I could be missing since I've tried most of the big hvs, and how was I supposed to know beforehand that this mobo and cpu didnt support a specific feature to do this fairly odd task?
Both Virtualization and/or NASing work fine on their own. I'm sorry if my questions are annoying but I usually only deal with VMs on purpose built machines where you dont have to deal with this silly stuff. I will try the commandline hdd passthrough stuff when I get a chance.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Tell management that you have to upgrade the host, upgrade the host.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I really wanted to put ESXi on my old computer turned Hypervisor, but because there is no support for software RAID and I couldn't get my old Areca card's volume to show up I had to opt for something else and I think i will go with proxmox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I am on proxmox and so far I really like it. I just have to figure out how I can use my HDDs as pure backup and put them in standby while not backing up (Which apparently means disabling the storage).