Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

Openstack

The long and short of it is that moving to INFINITE SCALING! cloud computing from an application deployed in a virtual environment is far deeper than just moving hosting location and platform. If you want to leverage AWS products like EC2 to their true power, you're going to have to redesign the application itself to work with concepts you'll not have encountered from single-server hosting.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A year and six months ago, our legal department decided to unilaterally sign a contract for S3. They read that cloud storage was cheaper than everything else on the back of a box of cereal and decided they could solve the trouble we've been having -- higher-ed organization of 50k people total, mind you -- and were told Amazon S3 could meet data protection standards that we needed (which it does not).

This was a group of intellectual property lawyers and export control experts who went out and spent six figures on a contract for a storage solution nobody asked for that few of our departments could use. The meeting at which we went over why they needed to look at options for recourse was a fun one -- have you ever tried to explain to someone what the word "no" means?

Edit: I know this isn't a thread for bitching and moaning, but the point is that there's a time and a place for cloud products. Don't just cloud virtualization because cloud virtualization.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tab8715 posted:

Do I dare ask what Cisco/Oracle rails are like?

Do the Oracle rails support anything?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

kiwid posted:

Also, do you guys virtualize vCenter or does that sit on a physical box as well?

Implement affinities and you'll find it more quickly after a crash.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fancy_Lad posted:

In vSphere 5.5 and earlier, HA will ignore should DRS rules. Must DRS are honored but potentially dangerous here because if your only valid targets are down, then the VM(s) won't power back on. Note that vSphere 6 allows you to set HA to honor should rules. Some more detail

If you run a virtualized vCenter (we do, and it is rarely an issue), you should absolutely use should DRS rules to keep it on a couple of known physical systems to make it easier to track down if it has problems - just know the limitations :)

poo poo, I have my work cut out for me. Thanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is coming from someone who only knows that "containers are VMs as VMs are to hardware" and that's it:

Isn't Azure container-y? That is, you're never really aware of the underlying VMs when deploying apps in Azure and all you care about is the framework presented to you?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

loving awesome answers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If there's a better place to post this, tell me and I'll go elsewhere. Seeing as there isn't a server hardware thread, here it goes:

I'm interested in booting a few esxi hosts on Dell m520 modules from an internal USB flash drive / SD card (both are available). Purpose: free up the pair of server-grade SSDs for a flash read cache. Before I go and do so, however, I was wondering whether there are server-grade USB flash drives / SD cards that can take the internal temps of a server -- it gets hot back there. I'm not particularly concerned about read/write burnout, but of course higher reliability is a plus. My budget is pretty much unlimited.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cheese-cube posted:

Most vendors provide USB flash drives for exactly this purpose

Heh, no poo poo. Thanks!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vnc-server-and-vnc-client

OK, now I can talk about it. :)

Probably boring to most people, but a lot of us use this for working remotely. I spend the last week in Seattle connected to my linux desktop in Palo Alto with it, and work from home with it all the time as well. I've also use it to play Skyrim over a hotel wireless during a convention with lovely networking. It was showing some artifacts with the compress during that, but still pretty impressive. It works really well with low bandwidth. It's the same VNC code that your VMRC connection uses now. There was a bunch of politics that kept this from launching for 7 months, so we already have a bunch of plans for another release. The main thing we want to add is a UI, and support for a Mac client.

Holy balls, bookmarked & installed. I'll start using it tomorrow during a flight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If not Cisco, who makes a good vlan-aware switch for home lab use?

Regarding Satan Flash, :downsbravo: is in order for VMware starting the project before HTML5 was as popular as it is right now. Whatever. Moving on.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you are the type that learns by immersion, go make a Xen box and read about OVS and Openflow.

Even getting a basic network with vlans set up with ovs and open flow is fairly involved and will get you exposed to write a bit quickly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

I don't know if this is a question for here or the enterprise hardware thread but:

I want to deploy an R620 standalone ESXi host for testing. It's got the integrated mirrored SD slots in the back. Each came with a 2GB card. Is that going to be fine for a hypervisor out of the box, or should I look to add larger cards? No vCenter, no extra logging, just straight host for VMs. I might install that standalone WebUI but that's about it.

edit: That is to say, it's got like 2TB datastore, I just want to throw the hypervisor alone on the SD cards.

Esxi will recognize that the memory is SD and avoid putting /scratch on it. It'll ask you where you would like to place that on install. VMware writes that 1GB is possible, but you may not have enough space for a coredump. Four gigs is recommended. Either works fine enough.

After a ton of calls with Dell about this, it turns out a rep cannot add the SD riser to the server without giving you the 2GB sd cards. They can, however, sell you the SD risers in a new order group, downgrade to their cheap as dirt 1GB cards, and you buy 4GB wear-leveled Kingston or SanDisk SD cards yourself on the cheap.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm on my phone right now, but vmware has a good page on install partition hardware considerations Google finds easily.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anyone else go to LA VMWorld?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stealthgerbil posted:

I have a folder in a datastore running on ESXI5 that I just cant access. I try to browse it through the datastore browser and it just sits there searching forever. I tried to ssh in and enter it and it does the same. Its like just this one VM's folder is corrupt. Any ideas?

Local datastore or on a storage device?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wicaeed posted:

Can someone shed some light on how VMware View licensing works?

We've got a small number of users (less than 5) who, in direct defiance of IT policy, have brought their own Windows desktops into our environment and are using unlicensed, uncontrolled version of Windows. Our IT manager found out about this yesterday, and quietly asked me to look into some VDI options so that we could at least have them accessing sensitive information from within a controlled environment (these are Finance people).

Sat through some parts of the View HOL late last night, and based on what I'm seeing we would need at least the following:

One Windows Server server acting as the Remote Desktop Services host (Windows Server Std license + ~5 users CAL + RDS Licensing)
Licensing for as many users as you have accessing those RDS servers for VMware Horizon (probably 3-5 licenses)

My concern is stemming from the fact that this really basic, REALLY small deployment will cost us (on the VMware side) at LEAST $3,000 per user for VMware Horizon View licensing.

They can't be serious with that licensing cost :psyduck:

VDI is the wrong angle to take on the original issue, imo. If the original issue is that people are bringing in personal equipment and are doing so out of defiance, the answer is to auto-map their mac addresses to a guest network. You need to investigate switches capable of DVLAN and/or setting up an isolated guest network.

Edit: Another way of thinking of it: If these fucks aren't using corporate equipment, why would they use your VDI?

Edit 2: Failing getting them to stop using personal equipment because they literally cannot do work on a guest network (i.e. if they yell to your GM that their unmanaged machines have some kind of right to be on your secure network), RDP is going to save you waaaaaaaaay more money. View only makes sense in huge scale, and even then the license cost largely mitigates other savings.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 9, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, rumor is that Dell is raising $8/EMC share to get VMware as well. Google it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Large datacenter is using Juniper, another Cisco. Some smaller branch-and-subdepartment "datacenters" (data closets with two or three 48U racks) have been doing great on cheap inexpensive Dell networking hardware.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So far as I'm aware, OpenStack doesn't really have a dumbo configure-and-go VDI broker?

http://docs.openstack.org/arch-design/content/desktop-as-a-service.html

Edit: It just occurred to me you're talking about Openstack Horizon, not VMware VDI. I'm bad and should feel bad.

Same question, though. OpenStack ain't quite ready for a non-developer IT bloke like me to deploy as a VDI solution?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 27, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still use VMWare Workstation to hook into an existing ESXi server if you really want something that apes the thick client. It isn't exactly the same (there are some limitations) and it has the 250$ price tag attached to the software, but it's something if you absolutely HAVE to have a thick client.

Confirmed on the Workstation 12 capacity to log into vcenter and hosts.

I've yet to interact with a sales rep unwilling to throw in a few licenses for Workstation in response to (half-sincere) complaints about the web client.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitr0 posted:

Have you tried this if you can't afford the vcenter

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

*installs immediately*

Who was the guy in this thread who worked on the VMware VNC fling? poo poo works great in our environment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Well, <insert dead horse about HTML5 and Flash here>. Of course it's high profile :shrug:

Got the Horizon Toolkit installed now, too. The auto - Windows Remote Support integration is wonderful.

These VMware labs flings are becoming my cocaine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Q, have you considered a converged architecture solution? vSan managing a bay of SSDs attached to a set of hypervisors by a common storage midplane has enabled positively stupid iops in my HPC cluster without the cost of storage vendor ssd markup.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Home Lab:

I presently run an ESXi6 free license system with 32GB ram, a 45-watt TDP Xeon . It does a few game servers, VPN/firewall with PFsense, has Mint virtual desktops with X2Go, DNS/DCHP, freenas, etc etc etc it's just for dicking around.

I've had some success with a Pi2 as a PCoIP client.
http://rpitc.blogspot.com/
Interestingly, it looks like this project's HDX ICA client is capable of using the h.264 hardware decoder of a Pi2.

The Goal: Can I make the Pi a "media center" (yes, I've used XMBC before, so I know that the SIMPLEST solution already exists) by basically just using it as a thin client attaching to a Windows 7/10 desktop with vSGA / vDGA / RemoteFX / Whatever Xen does? I use GRID K2s with Horizon in my workplace to serve desktops at great licensing expense. Holy gently caress do we pay some goddamn licensing fees.

Roadblocks I see so far:
-The virtual hardware of RemoteFX is available only to Win7/8.1 Enterprise guests. Volume licensing only. Welp.
-ESXi is not able, so far as I am aware, to actually send video to a remote thin client w/o Horizon. My understanding is that, while you can certainly just map a PCIe device to any old VM in ESXi free edition, the video output of the graphics card mapped in this manner still goes out via the card's DVI/HDMI/DP ports.

So, probably no MS or VMware stack. Xen?

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2011/02/04/virtually-everything-you-need-to-set-up-and-use-vdi-for-free/

The link describes a stack involving an arbitrary hypervisor layer with a free edition of XenDesktop serving Windows OS. I'm already just about convinced to move to Xen professionally and at home as VMware is both starting to slide behind on development and charge positively insane licensing fees, so hey, this could all end up becoming a learning experience. It looks like the free Express product level has been removed, but hey, a $98 one-time purchase for a perpetual license seat for XenDesktop isn't that bad if you aren't poor.

The inspiration for this was a new client who needed to do something very stupid with a Frankenstein's monster of an ancient, mangled, poorly-managed "server." I want to try doing this right.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

You can do this without Horizon, but using the Pi makes it a bit more of a problem. On the ESX box, you can use the Remote Console or enable the VNC port for the VM. If you used the VMware VNC Client, https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vnc-server-and-vnc-client, you would actually get pretty good performance. The only problem is we don't have the client/server built for ARM, so you would have to use another VNC client that won't use all of our improvements to VNC. If you wanted to try something like a MinnowBoard, that might be an option. I don't know anything about them though, do they run normal versions of Linux? I remember running into library issues on my Pi when I was playing it.

I've been using VMware VNC clients since you posted it ages ago :D its solid loving win.

You can access the graphics of a graphics card without a locally-attached dvi/vga/dp/hdmi without Horizon? What is the technology name I'm looking for, then?

E: I'm guessing this is along the lines of "break pci interface into two channels, use half for commands in and part of the other half for video back to the vm?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Use DevNull's project above. It's an optimized VNC client.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm trying to find something that says vSGA requires a license and doesn't work on ESXi 6 free edition. So far so good.

I'll try this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vulture Culture posted:

I know it's very early and these things aren't in many people's hands yet, but has anyone gotten to play with AMD's S-series vGPUs yet? The licensing on nVidia's GRID 2.0 poo poo (on top of Horizon!) has gotten completely out of hand and any alternative, even an AMD one, is a great thing to look at.

"Hi, we at Nvidia are aware of the fact that we are and have been on the top of the x84/64 graphics dogpile for a long time now and that we're highly desirable, so as an added bonus atop our existing premium, here's licensing that costs more than the cards of our competitor."

https://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/NVIDIA-Grid-Virtual-Workstation-Extended-license/3879631.aspx

License Category: License
License Qty: 1 concurrent user connection
License Type: License

Uh, no. I'll take the 32-user FirePro cards, thanks. We're already talking about backing out of GRID in the next cycle of our Horizon environment as the licensing is hilarious, ridiculous, ridiculously hilarious, and hilariously ridiculous.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What sort of claim does MS have on VMware IP?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PCjr sidecar posted:

When you have 30,000+ patents in your library it doesn't really matter.

Just a wide blunderbuss of expensive infringement claims?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HPL posted:

It's a technology they haven't got a handle on yet. Once they do, it should be neat.

Noap.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Option C: a so-so hit man will run you a cool 25k. Weigh your risk and ROI.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It helps that esxi is free :)

Unless there's free versions of Workstation?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gotcha. I forgot player was a thing.

On the note of desktop pc hypervisors that do other stuff, I moved to Win10 on my htpc and set up Hyper-V as a second, dicking around hypervisor.

My family had trouble using vSphere's thick client, but understood hyper-v manager almost completely by intuition.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What do you intend to run, just a derp-about-at-home box? I'd press for any savings I could get. Memory frequency boosts have relatively small performance gains, even in intense i/o things like computational physics or vidiya games.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Got windows 10?

Use hyper-v perhaps!

If you want to dick around with vm settings, go to where the vm is stored and grab a copy of its entire folder as a backup.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Host access to other hosts for migration and provisioning
Authentication traffic for ESXi and remote console traffic (xinetd/vmware-authd)
vSphere Client access to virtual machine consoles
(UDP) Status update (heartbeat) connection from ESXi to vCenter Server

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.security.doc_50%2FGUID-ECEA77F5-D38E-4339-9B06-FF9B78E94B68.html

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do your hypervisor or vCenter logs show any user / service accounts logging into vcenter or the hypervisor at that time? Do they show anything at that time?

What kind of throughput are we talking about, Kbits, Mbits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

Other good news in the client/console area... http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/vsphere/60/vmware-host-client-10-release-notes.html

The host client is no longer just a Fling, it is now officially supported.

You guys are doing God's work.