Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone know if they added recurring scheduled p2vs functionality in vsphere 5? They took it out in 4.1 so I've been using vConverter and it's a little flaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

nuckingfuts posted:

I didn't know the vsphere client ever had the ability to schedule P2V conversions, but I don't see it in 5. Are you sure you weren't using a different version of vmware converter?

I used converter enterprise which is a vsphere plugin. The recurring functionality was in 3.5 and 4.0. I read somewhere that they were adding this functionality back in because so many customers complained about them removing it.

You should at least have the ability to schedule a p2v, you're just not able to have it repeat, correct? If you can't schedule via vsphere you may have the standalone version.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I have no practical knowledge or experience with it but why haven't I seen Nutanix in the VMware replacement conversation very much?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I work for a midsize healthcare system and our VMware licensing is going from 115k to 280k per year.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I remember installing/using ESX. Not until 3.x though.

I remember being wary of ESXi, lol.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You've asked at the time when we're all grappling with the enterprise standard (VMware) turning into absolute bandits with no clear successor. It's still the obvious answer but not by a large margin.

I mean, it's still the answer by a huge margin. But who knows what's going to happen in the next few years. I don't do our VM directly as I work with storage but it's looking like my org is just going to eat the cost and try to consolidate compute as much as possible. The other options just aren't feasible in the near-term. I know for certain management is taking a hard look at Azure. We're in the process of transitioning from on-prem exchange to 365 and we're seeing all these opportunities for collaborative stuff, as well as better administration/management and a lot of folks are wondering what else we're missing.

As a storage admin, my days are numbered. Unless they want to pay me to do the same thing in a significantly reduced environment.

That said, I've been saying that for years and I'm still around.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 15, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Looks like my org is just going to eat the cost for the next 3 years. I think they still want to explore options though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I feel like the best use case for HCI is smaller installations with no or little existing infrastructure.