Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

Did he have any actual business case for holding on to that much historical data, or was he just doing 999 incrementals because it felt cool?

Hate when people make up requirements out of fart air.

Sometimes they ask for guidance and are told to just figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Still liking my Nimble arrays alot. Unsure about the future with HP though.
other than a crappier look and feel to infosight, I have seen no difference under HP.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

BallerBallerDillz posted:

fwiw I had a real difficult time getting a single node ovirt environment set up and running. I've only used proxmox a bit but from my limited experience with both, I'd recommend proxmox unless you really need multi site clusters with fail over and some of the other advanced enterprise features you can get from ovirt.
I hosed around with ovirt a lot in the past. The first 3 or 4 times I tried to get a single node cluster running it was poo poo, but I learned a few "gotchas" from retrying and once I had it up, was able to expand my single node cluster to 2 nodes easily. It worked well, just a really steep learning curve. If you need a single node, I don't know why you wouldn't use vmware, but ovirt did ultimately live up to my expectations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

We have a pair of ESX 5.1 servers...I see we can upgrade straight to 6.0, but can we go straight to 6.5 or newer? Is there some big hiccup along the way that will required upgrading and then upgrading again?
Check the HCL, they discontinued support for some processors in 6.5 and a bunch more in 6.7. I hosed myself on a test box going from 5.5 to 6.7, then it wouldn't boot any longer. The upgrade is nice enough to continue even on a processor that is unsupported.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I kind of love the irony that, for once, a company can be assed to keep up to date documentation (the HCL) that is extremely helpful and valuable. But the implementation just stagnates and YOLOs out bad upgrades with no regard for reality.
luckily for me I was smart enough to install in test before prod, so my lack of reading and comprehension did not cause more than an hour of being pissed at myself.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Do you have vmotion enabled on two different vmkernel interfaces? Like, a management interface that is only gigabit instead of 10gbe?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I don't remember the vendor, but someone here will
Pretty sure it was the early sandforce chipset ssds.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
it's ELK stack. Elastic is just one component.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

H2SO4 posted:

Not according to the people that maintain it.

Huh, well I guess I am just an old man behind the times.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wicaeed posted:

Guess I have to write my own, or something *sigh*
This should be like 10 lines in powercli.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Don't do this and the throttling thing is not true.

It's definitely true. We expanded our pool of servers by two last year. We bought the same make/model/cpu/etc.. On the new ones we noticed a significant difference in performance. Changed them from balanced to high performance (matching the other servers in the pool) and the performance issue was gone.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CampingCarl posted:

I have a couple VMs under vmware 6.7 that need to be deleted. The datastore for these is on a SAN along with a bunch of other VMs we want to keep but someone said we should DoD wipe them. It looks like VMware has a write zeroes function but I don't think that qualifies. Does booting the VM to a usb and wiping from there accomplish the same thing?
Generally speaking, you cannot be certain that writes to SAN storage will be the same physical location, so cannot be certain you have overwritten your data by writing to a VM. From a regulatory standpoint, I doubt you have to wipe storage that will still be in your possession.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
What are people running for AV in their VMware environments today? We have been using Kaspersky with KSV for a long time but are considering a switch. My reseller mentioned Trend, but was non-committal on their recommendation. We like something that integrates with NSX, but are willing to move to agents if there is a big difference. We have around 300 servers and 700 vdi sessions to protect.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kiwid posted:

I need to reboot one of my storage arrays for maintenance. What is the proper procedure to rebooting an iscsi target attached to a vmware cluster?

I have a cluster of two esxi hosts with a bunch of vms. Two of these vms use a datastore that is presented via iscsi to both hosts.

Can I just shutdown the two vms using this datastore and then reboot the storage or do I have to unmount or detach the storage?
How long does the reboot take? If your disk timeout value is high enough in the guest, you can just reboot the array. It is not recommended, but is possibly your best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ultrabay2000 posted:

What is the CPU performance haircut in 2019 when using virtualization? I want to run a game server inside a hypervisor to make it easier with mod development but said game server does a lot of physics and is pretty sensitive to single threaded performance.

e: I get this is a broad question - I'm fine with broad answers, just wondering if anyone has insight or experiences or literature that is helpful.
You already got the easy part of the answer. However, there are other variables at play. For instance, I think the general consensus has been to turn off hyperthreading for any virtualization tasks where you want to keep your information secure. Because of side channel attacks, any time the two cores of a CPU are actively running on seperate VMs, they could learn the contents of the cache for the other VM.

Depending on your workload, this could matter, or not.