Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.vmware.com/partners/programs/

Anyone here a VMware partner? There are only 2 shops in our sister town(one is a reseller only), none in our City. I am pushing for us to become one, anyone have any stories tips to share I am all ears.

E: Or if you have any stories of working with a VMware partner on the job please share any experiences you can

I work for one and hold the VSP5 and VTSP5 that let us stay a partner. Protip: Sales Certs are garbage. Let someone else do those.

But what specifically are you wondering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

Corvettefisher posted:

Basically trying to get my IT firm as a VMware certified professional partner, since no other IT firm in our city is one, might as well become the first and only. Would go well with my vm cert anyway.

Basically the processes about going for them, the difficulty, any BS I should expect to encounter.

Not too sure on the red tape side of things, but I'll talk to the guy who went through that at work.

But to be a Professional partner in a solutions provider path (I assume, this is what we did as we are a VAR). You need to be a Registered partner first, which was pretty straight forward as far as I know. 0 cost for it, no requirements for certs or VMware Revenue requirements.

Once you are a Registered Partner, you need to have 1 VTSP and 1 VSP, these can both be the same person; or ideally, 2 people. One being a sales guy, because the VSP sucks unless you want to spend 20 hours watching videos on how to make elevator presentations to the CIO's assistant, and how to shift paradigms with VMware's Product Branding and blah blah blah blah.

Once you have a VSP and a VTSP, and I think > $1000 in yearly VMware sales, you just send them a check for $250 and Bob's your uncle.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

Corvettefisher posted:

It's web base, and sadly a lot of the advice is incorrect or probably not good advice for anyone experienced in VMware. In one video it says cloud is great because "you don't have to have long meetings with the IT to spec out servers you just give exactly what you want!" that was almost word for word. I wouldn't say it is flat out wrong but any competent in Virtual infrastructure would argue some of these points. They also push a separate program, rather than talk about writing PowerCLI scripts and Vspheres logging to do reporting. Oh well guess that is why it is a sales cert

I told you the VSP is a bunch of worthless used car salesman bullshit. :(

The VTSP isn't as terrible. The best part about both of them is that you can start the course, refresh the partner university page, and click "Take Exam" or whatever, then just search through the slides using their handy dandy search feature, and write the test with them open!

It's how I did the VSP because seriously, gently caress sales.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

You have to pass them all 10 with an 80 to qualify as a VSP.

I'm trying to get our CEO to hook us up with the NFR licensing to test and play with, and he apparently has them according to the portal. But he has no idea what I am talking about.

The Internal Use Only licensing is also sweet, but I can't get them to fork out for the Enterprise Plus stuff (All that they seem to offer us), even at only ~1200/socket, which is practically stealing them.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

Corvettefisher posted:

Maybe I am not seeing them until after I fully complete it, all it has are practice quizzes(in the videos, with no identification of your score.

Go back into the course itself under your enrollments in the Partner University.

It should look like what I have attached, and click Module Test.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

quicksand fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 14, 2012

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

Wicaeed posted:

Is there any advantage to the vSA?

What does it bring to the table that a cheap (Dell Equallogic) SAN doesn't?

Headaches and terrible performance. Don't use a vSA. We've been fighting with one for a week and a half for a client. I think we're up to 3 open support calls on it, and one of the new guys is losing sleep trying to figure it out.

With all the time and effort put into it by now, a SAN would have been well cheaper.

Seriously, don't :(

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

And the cabling. Oh my god the cabling.

So clean. So fast. So easy.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

Varkk posted:

The two VMs for one 2012R2 licence is for 2012R2 Standard edition. Essentials is only a single license.

Correct, but you could install the Essentials package on a full 2012 R2 standard server.. if for some reason you wanted to do that :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Oh great. The VMware/e1000 bug that's been around for over a year now, and was supposedly fixed in 5.5 U2? Not so much.. We patched to 5.5 U2 a couple months ago because of this, and we just had another host crash. They're telling us to go to P03. Adding to the confusion is the original KB article not being updated, yet it's the first result of a Google search for "VMware e1000 psod".

I wish I was still on 5.1

I've had to update 7 hosts at 4 clients to 5.5u3 to fix this, and so far it has fixed every single one.

Fingers crossed it stays unfucked!