Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crackbone posted:

If it's a qualifying course, for $185 I'd send in my info on a cocktail napkin.

Yeap: "SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam."

2 weeks to process my entry so I'll let you guys know.

I think a bunch of you also said you were signing up around the same time as me. Check your spam folder if you did, because gmail routed that poo poo right into the toilet. Or add "Jana Kennedy <jkennedy7709@stanly.edu>" to your safe senders list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

skipdogg posted:

drat, I thought I was getting a steal at 219 for my course this fall.

That's still a really good price. Online?

It's actually been like a year and change since I even touched vSphere so this will actually be a re-learning experience for me. Hopefully for $180-something I get a good instructor online. Time to go pick up some CBT either way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Geez, now the class I help out in feels expensive at 660.

Hope it all works out, that price sounds really good to be true.

Thanks! That was my initial thought too, but googling it gives several positive accounts from a bunch fo places like techexams.net. I imagine a lot of people are taking the course just for the VCP classroom component, but I'm hoping it's actually a quality course. At any rate, I'll keep you guys up to date if anyone is interested, otherwise I'll end my mini derail :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah that's the date I had in my email as well. I think that's when she moves on to the next batch of names on the waiting list.

My understanding is that this is still the 5.0 ICM course based on the textbook that the people on techexams.net are claiming they used last. The books are apparently also entirely optional since everything you need is available online. I'll play it by ear and see if I need to buy them or not come day one.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 9, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

ESXi might(probably won't) not even be supported to install ESXi.I would definitely look into a Dell Tower, or HP ML tower.

You can install ESXi on a MacPro, but I can't imagine a scenario where it would be a preferable bare metal platform.

Oddhair: Even in the case of a "Mac shop", a single Dell workstation shouldn't be that big a deal. If you get a support contract with it then they don't even need to really support the hardware.

Speaking of ESXi on the Mac, I've got to get my own little lab together here in preparation for this ICM course. I've got an i7 Hackintosh with 12 gigs ram. Hopefully that's enough to run a basic virtualized esxi environment with a handful of VMs under Fusion.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 9, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Last time I checked you couldn't license OSX to run on non-fruit hardware.

I don't know much about LifeSize ClearSea UVC something-or-other that he's trying to install, but some casual googling reveals that it's not an app that runs on MacOS, it's its own VM that runs on ESXi. So he'd be using the Mac as bare metal hardware to run a non-OSX environment under ESXi.

So basically he could run it on a MacPro, but other than "there's a picture of a fruit on the box and we're more comfortable with that", there's very little reason to pick the MacPro over something that's either on the HCL or a cheaper Dell server.

e: Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, if you NEEDED to run OSX, that's fair.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 10, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a best practices guide for P2V an NT4 Workstation? Specifically what I'd need to do to switch from a physical SCSI disk on a no-name SCSI card to whatever VMware Workstation can support.

I realize NT4 is basically dead at this point, but I've got a Pentium 166-something running some archaic but critical data processing software in one of the physics labs I look after. I'd really prefer not to be in panic mode when this thing inevitably bites the dust.

I've done a precautionary raw disk dump of the 1gb SCSI disk, but as expected when I try to import it into a custom VM in Workstation and Fusion I get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD. I'm not really sure what the best practices would be for telling NT4 that it's running on a bone stock IDE drive now instead of a SCSI disk on some old SCSI card.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will give the old server a shot, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK in case anyone is in my shoes and has to P2V a terrible NT4 workstation, I was having some trouble with the old VMware converters, so I did the following, which is probably eight kinds of roundabout and not-recommended, but it got me up and running:

I had a physical dd dump of the SCSI hard drive from the NT4 workstation. I used qemu-img to convert it to vmdk since I was having no luck using VMware's commandline tools.

Create a new custom virtual machine in Fusion based on existing vmdk. This defaulted to type IDE. Boot VM to make sure NT at least attempts to load. It does, but will likely fail on INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE if you used any sort of exotic disk controller.

Now you need to find out what driver your boot device used. It'll be in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. Mine was ql510.sys or something like that. This is probably the hardest part since you might have no loving idea.

Find a boot CD ISO that will let you edit an NTFS file system, or otherwise mount your vmdk. I'm on a Mac so I just used that nt password reset boot disk that everyone's tried at some point.

To get my system to boot I just copied ql510.sys to _ql510.sys, then copied ATAPI.SYS over top of ql510.sys.

After that everything booted fine. Just installed VMware Tools and everything seems to be hunky dory.

I realize this is a huge hack, but it might come in handy. There is probably a better way to change the boot device driver without having access to the running OS (which technically I do, but I don't want to make any changes to the live machine) but I'm not really familiar with the ins and outs of NT4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xarph posted:

vcenter appliance, out of nowhere, has developed a thing where it lets anyone log in as an AD user with no password. This includes the web client from a linux machine with no knowledge of AD. It also ignores permissions. domain\administrator with no password gets you root. domain\newinternwithnoroles with no password? root.

Me, reading this:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crossposting this to the IT certification thread since I've forgotten where most of us are, but if you're taking the Stanly CC VCP-DCV course make sure that you log into the system today or tomorrow per the email you should have received or you'll risk being dropped from the course.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is only kind of VM related, but since it has to do with my vSphere lab: Is there a good way to figure out how much CPU horsepower you'll need to drive XYZ iops over iSCSI/NFS when you're building a SAN whitebox? I've got a handful of SSDs to throw at the project, but I don't have anything but a bunch of mid to late 2000s P4s so I don't know if that would be a huge bottleneck or whether that should be fine for a small vSphere lab. OS would be FreeNAS or Nexenta. I could just virtualize everything on one machine but I'm out of SATA ports on my lab desktop, since it's not really DEDICATED to vSphere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This will seem a little self-involved, but: I'm doing my VCP5-DCV right now, is there a danger of a new version of this exam hiding around the corner? I'm already behind the ball by working with 5.0 curriculum as opposed to 5.1, looks like 5.5 is going to make it interesting too now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

agarjogger posted:

My hackintosh laptop can't see its WLAN or WWAN cards. Could a Windows virtual machine see them and share access with the host Mac if connection sharing was supported? Can virtualization give my host computer vicarious access to hardware it otherwise wouldn't have, or do I not understand virtualization? Or does a VM have no access whatsoever to actual hardware.

There are instances where the guest can have direct access to io hardware running on the host by means of vmdirectpath, but things like network devices are typically abstracted by the hypervisor. In your case I don't think virtualization will help. Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 28, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone who is planning on taking the Stanly.edu VCP-DCV course, I urge you to get acquainted with the clock that drives their servers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSC17tHnZ8E

I don't know how they provisioned their lab environment, but it feels like a single Pentium 90.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moey posted:

Are you able to use a home lab if you have one?

Nope.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There are a LOT of people running older revisions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it just that all the scans are hitting at the same time? :haw:

I hate to be that guy that needs jokes explained, but I'm a newb to VDI :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a chassis full of BL25p blades. Do I win the prize for "most anemic VM environment"?

It can't even run 64bit guests :downs:

But I mean I did literally find it lying in the garbage so I can't complain TOO much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, with vCenter Web Client getting OSX support I have to ask: Does the web client provide some sort of console view, or is it only for management? I haven't played with it myself at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good rundown of when vCenter Server is preferable over VCSA and vice versa? Pros/cons list, or management summary or something. If VMware has one on their site I'll be damned if I can find it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugggggh, I wonder what is keeping VMware from certifying a Mac Mini for HCL. I sincerely hope it's not just the fact that the Mac Pro exists.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I was worried about. Dammit Apple :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any gigabit USB adapters on the HCL? I know that sounds dumb but you could always add another NIC that way. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. I kind of want to virtualize OSX soon since I'm the only one at my new company who does any OSX work at all, and having a VM that people dick around in would be super useful to teaching people how to do poo poo like Active Directory integration, etc.

I'm not seriously going to buy a Mac Pro just to do this, but a Mac Mini wouldn't be out of the question to add to our existing vSphere setup.

Obviously you can get this running since people are running ESXi 5+ on their Mac Mini so HCL be damned I think I'm going to give it a shot if I can get someone to spring for a Mini and some RAM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You definitely can; VMware explicitly lists OSX 10.7 and 10.8 revisions as valid guests under certain ESXi versions. For example:

http://blogs.vmware.com/guestosguide/2013/09/mac-os-x-10-8-5.html

Also there are a number of KB articles from various sites on how to do achieve a proper installation. I'm guessing that the trusted computing thing is somehow handled by ESXi itself.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03376943

I think from a technical standpoint you can probably run OSX on any vendor's ESXi hardware, but legally you're only allowed to run it on Apple bare metal per Apple's EULA. I'd rather be safe than sorry on the legal front on my first day of a new job :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 8, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DevNull posted:

I read his statement wrong. You can virtualize it, but you have to be running the virtual environment on Apple hardware.

Isn't that what I wrote? :raise:

Not that I'm disagreeing with anything said here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think we're all saying the same thing :)

The hardware just needs a gray and/or glowing fruit somewhere on the enclosure and you can install ESXi and virtualize OSX :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's POSSIBLE with VMDirectPath, but I don't think anyone will say that it's a good way to run it. Your better bet would be to just run Win7 as the HTPC with VMware Workstation running your Debian VM in the background.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have any of you guys had problems deploying the latest vMA appliance?

Deployed one from OVF to three servers for a client. First they wouldn't take the default gateway assigned to them via the text based setup, then the Web UI wouldn't pull up at all. I spent an hour diagnosing it by poking around and finally figured out that I needed to go into /opt/vmware/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf and comment out the "ssl.cipher-list" before the web UI would come up. The problem is that if I'm reading google right, this breaks PCI compliance so I won't be able to do this for some of our clients.

I didn't see anyone mentioning this anywhere so I'm guessing I should probably submit this as a bug to VMware, huh?

Very lame. Just wondering if anyone experienced this before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does VCSA use the same license as a host-based vCenter install? That is to say, if you have an Essentials license are you able to choose between one or the other, or is VCSA a separate license? Their Essentials Plus kit page seems a little vague about what the situation is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did I read somewhere that VCSA will be going to HTML5 vs Flash? I deployed an appliance today and it was still flash and I was kind of bummed because I thought the new ones were going to be HTML5 :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mayodreams posted:

The console can be HTML5 for use on non Windows systems on vCenter 5.5. Maybe that was it?

Ah yeah maybe that's what I'm thinking of. Can't win them all :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hooray, I ran into my first "everyone has their virus scan scheduled at the exact same time" issue today :haw:

I feel it's like a rite of passage I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good "Hyper-V for VMware dudes" primer? Most of the stuff is pretty straightforward but I'd love to read something that approaches teaching the material from that angle.

I got my first Hyper-V client today and I spent most of the day shadowing our Hyper-V mans around going "ah ok" and "oh I gotcha" after everything they said. Not too bad, but I definitely don't want to touch without more reading.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All handy, thanks guys!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I may already have asked this, but how well does USB passthrough work on an ESXi host? If I had a USB device that flashed microcontrollers, could I hook that up to an ESXi host and give my development VM access to it?

I feel like this should be easy enough to test, but I don't have access to my ESXi server at work right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

parid posted:

Check out the digi USB Anywhere devices. That's what I use to provide USB access to VMs.

That's not a terrible idea (and honestly probably a cleaner idea in the long term), but I'm not going to spend $200-something if ESXi can pass through USB well enough to do the job ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DevNull posted:

Are you just trying to plug in a device that is local to the ESX box? If so, that should be just fine. Nothing special is needed. I have done that with wireless network adapters connecting to a Windows VM.

Yeah. It's not ideal since I really shouldn't be going into our server closet to do stuff like flashing microcontrollers but I've got my development VM on my testbed ESXi server and I'm just too lazy to reinstall everything on a local VM.

All I'll be doing is plugging in an AVR Dragon or Olimex ARM JTAG adapter into the back of the ESXi host itself and passing them through to a VM to use in their respective IDEs.

I've just never actually passed a USB device through before so I wanted to make sure it was possible or whether I was mistaken and/or making poo poo up.

Thanks! :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm a little confused about labs for the Stanly class. I just whipped through 10 of them in a 6 hours of reservation. I was worried that I'd have to be jockeying for time to get all the labs done, but if I look for the next few days there are zero reservations. Aren't we all sharing the same two pods in the class? Is everybody just lazy and not doing anything with the class yet? I assume that we have two pods at least, I can only see ICM_POD_241 and ICM_EQ3_POD15. Does it matter which I choose?

Also how do they know we've completed the labs?

a) I never once saw another reservation in all my time scheduling labs
b) I think it's mostly the honour system. I think the system only tracks the labs you've scheduled so make sure you let the instructor know you're doing multiple labs via the messaging system so he's not like "yo you only did 4 labs buddy" when you've actually finished them all.

This class is basically a rubber stamp, which isn't too bad in and of itself. I really kind of expected that and wasn't too blown away when it felt so easy and ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know if I'm blind or what but I can't find any place to download SNMP MIB files to define the OIDs that ESXi spits out.

I'm pretty sure every google search tells me to download the management SDK but I can't find any MIB files in there :confused: