Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The answer is always lol oracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The org ended up shelling out for a site license to not deal with Larry's poo poo.

Vulture Culture posted:

I once had an Oracle rep threaten to sue me because I referred to "the user" of a specific Solaris server while discussing a support extension and she started screaming and accusing me of illegally renting Oracle's technology to other people

I like how every time we discuss larry's hobby new horror stories come out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

My question is why does this happen? My guess is that there's a fundamental difference between the way that Remote Desktop and VNC Viewer react to closing the window, but given you're all much more knowledgable than me in the field I'd love some advice.
RDP is way more tightly integrated into the OS, and my guess is that when you close the connection it destroys the viewport, so there's nothing for your app to look at.

Actuarial Fables posted:

When you created your Windows VM, ESXi attached a virtual monitor. This virtual monitor doesn't ever display anything, but by having it attached the Windows OS will do its part and compose images to be displayed to this fake monitor. Both the ESXi viewer and VNC Viewer use the framebuffer used for the fake monitor to compose their own images for you to see what's going on. This fake monitor is never detached from the OS, so even when you close VNC Viewer the images are still being composed so your script can still monitor for changes.

RDP doesn't use any pre-existing framebuffers. As H2SO4 said, it creates its own virtual devices when you initiate the session, then removes them once you end the session. When the RDP monitor is removed, Windows stops creating video for that video device, so your script can't run anymore.
Oh look someone who knows the actual details. Amazing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If there’s 2 slots there’s no reasons at all not to do raid1 and partition your stuff. Splitting it across both drives just ups the failure rate for no good reason.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Small price to pay for low cost virtualization hardware.
a kilowatt 24/7 gets not so low, not so slow.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Eh. Depends on what you mean. Xen is far better as an open source lab solution than ESXi.
The entire vSphere ecosystem is very much payware, Xen has more ungated features but it's comparatively not very popular.

Marinmo posted:

I just want cheap, manageable and hopefully performant setup, my list of priorities being in that order too.
If that's really the case then some form of desktop ("type 2")virtualization might be your best bet.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 19, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Read locks usually aren’t exclusive

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

What's really cool about discussing NFS locking behavior is that locking isn't part of NFSv2/v3 at all, servers don't care whether or not you lock any files whatsoever, and it's implemented through a separate protocol (NLM) that is respected by some but not all NFS clients.
Lmao I’m so glad I never have to worry about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This made for some real fun if you ever tried to do multiprotocol access on a NetApp volume since CIFS has mandatory locking and NFS has advisory locking and getting those to play nicely on the same file is basically impossible.
When we got our first filer i looked at the doc for this stuff and it took about 30mn for me to just nope out of the whole thing.