Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Moey posted:

Someone care to assist me in making sure I am reading esxtop right?

Below is a picture of a host cpu tab sorted by %RDY (top entry being idle). I have read that below 10% is showing little CPU contention. I assume I would see a value of 10.00 or something greater if that were the case?

Thats a healthy %RDY column in esxtop yes. Generally anything over 1% means you're starting to run into contention. From there it becomes "how much can my applications/users tolerate before my phone starts to ring."

When you're under 1% you've got headroom to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

talaena posted:

Not in this case. I was thinking, perhaps incorrectly, about a routed network within CLoud DIrector; where there is an internal IP for the VMs and "external" IPs that route through an edge gateway. That's about as well as I can explain it before my mind goes to mush. Perhaps I'm just thinking about this all wrong. I'm currently fighting with perl on an HP/UX 11i machine in the other window; so my brain is mush.

If you want the app director Vm to have an ip on 10.1.1.0/24 then you probably want to create what's called an external network in vcloud. This maps directly to a real vlan/VMware port group.

No reason to NAT in your case.

Tomorrow after I finish doing some training for a customer I can step you through the process if its still a little unclear. Optionally you could just import the ovf directly into the vcenter inventory.

Edit: once you create that external network you need to add it to an org vdc then it should be available to use for virtual machines.

May 14, 2003

talaena posted:

This is exactly what I need and exactly what confuses the gently caress out of me when I get into the vCD interface. I simply don't understand the concepts. I can (and have) read through the bits of the Admin Guide and I think my spleen processes more of the information than my brain; so I'm still stuck drooling like an idiot.

I will have to play more with the external network aspect instead of trying to NAT. I *almost* understand the process, but not really. I just need someone to show it to me, treat me like a 5 year old, and once I see it actually working it might sink in.

vCloud does a lot of extra abstractions which can confuse the gently caress out of even pretty experienced VMware admins. Once you create a VLAN-->vmware portgroup of some kind you'll need to add the external network to a provider VDC.

Once you've done that you'll need an org to provision virtual machines in. I assume you've got one built so you'll need to allocate resources to it. This creates an organizational VDC or OVDC if you will. Open this up while you're logged in with your sysadmin account, go to administration and select your org VDC. Once there hit the networking tab and add a network.

In the wizard that pops up you'll want to select the bottom radio button (assuming VCD 5.1) for a directly connected external network. Select that external network you added to the provider VDC and next your way through the wizard.

At some point in this process (I believe when adding to the provider VDC) you'll need to define some network attributes. This will include things like default gateway, netmask, the DNS domain it slaps on VMs and a pool of IP addresses (an example of a valid entry would be 10.1.1.150-10.1.1.175.)

Time permitting I'll try to answer any additional vCloud director questions you may have.

May 14, 2003

It also lets you set the VMFS3.MaxHeapSizeMB value to 640MB. Handy when you've got more than 25TB worth of VMs powered up on a host. Ran into an issue this past weekend where that wasn't enough...

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004424

May 14, 2003

parid posted:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. One of the vcenters was a test environment? You know nothing about my environment. Why so aggressive?

I was trying to find other people with the TAM service as we aren't seeing any value in ours. For example, there's nothing he can do to help us with upgrades like this. I was hoping some shared experience from someone else who has a successful relationship might help me find what's going wrong in ours.

Most of my customer base over the last 5 years have had a TAM. They are by and large the most worthless people I've ever had to work with at VMware. I've known exactly 1 TAM who actually was helpful out of a dozen or so.

It seems to be a position that VMware stuffs "those who can't" or at least the very lazy.

May 14, 2003

Login as admin@system-domain and then make sure AD is added as an authentication source. Once that's done set the default domain to whatever your AD domain is then you can start assigning roles to AD groups.

May 14, 2003

re: vCloud and View all working together with nested vSphere:

First things first:

Setup vCloud director to allow for a nested ESXi guest. You can find guidance here:

http://vxpertise.net/2013/03/nesting-esxi-on-esxi-5-1-in-vcloud-director-5-1/

On the next bit; you'll probably want to use port-group backed network isolation if you want to save yourself the trouble of doing some additional automation work. This is to make sure that vCloud director provisioned networks for your nested ESXi servers have MAC change, forged transmits and promiscuous mode enabled. Without these the nested ESXi hosts won't be able to talk to the network.

Regarding the view bit here's a couple blog posts I was looking at on the subject:
http://www.chriscolotti.us/vmware/running-vmware-view-pcoip-inside-vcloud-director-5-1/
http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=4889

The short of it is that it's absolutely possible but absolutely not easy.

I'm actually building this now for my internal labs specifically for a similar use case (workshops with customers to get time with the product without having to stand up something on site.)

As far as why I want to do this inside of vCloud I have few couple motivations:

1. lifecycle management. Nested ESXi servers are a drain on my resources, particularly in the memory and storage area. Workshops typically last 4 business days so I'm setting a 7 day lease to just kill the system. That's generally also enough time for other engineers to run "science experiments."

2. I can arbitrarily build however many networks I want without having to touch the physical network and also to completely isolate each instance of my nested hypervisor. This lets me just deal with host file entries inside the "fence" to find everything by virtue of reusing all of the same IP addresses inside the vApp. Using NAT to provide access to the internet and vShield to block all of the rest of the traffic.

3. Fast provisioning. vCloud director linked clones let me provision things very fast. Even though my nested vSphere servers have 1TB worth of datastores you can generally have the whole environment in <30 seconds. It's also similar to thin provisioning with respect to how storage is actually consumed.

4. Self service! Engineers/sales engineers and consultants can order as many of the environments as they need as quick as they need.

I've got most of it built so far except for the View bit. I'm actually waiting on my VDI folks to finish setting that up so we can deal with the "getting a view desktop inside a vApp" issue.

May 14, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

I feel the vSA is going... I like it, actually...

WELL poo poo my plans for VMworld fell down most of my "wallet" went to pay for the flight and ticket for vmworld...

I hope that "wallet" is an expense report away from getting replenished?

I'm totally getting my tickets comped :smugdog: via marketing development funds. I also live walking distance from Moscone.

May 14, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there a good book for vCloud Director or a good resource? I don't mind using the VM docs but I dunno, just looking for something that is a bit easier to read.

Post questions and I'll try to answer. There's not really any good resources on vCloud Director at the moment.

May 14, 2003

You can sometimes get helpful information out of a PSOD. They come in a couple different levels of detail and sometimes will spit out a hex error code like 0xBAD#####.

This one could be either a bad disk or quite likely some funky memory. Consider PXE booting a memtest86+ or something on the machine and letting it run.

May 14, 2003

KS posted:

I feel like I'm missing something completely obvious here. Is there no way to set a VLAN tag for an independent hardware iscsi adapter through the GUI? Even though you can set IP address and everything else?

Likely driver dependent. May have an option in the cards bios too.

May 14, 2003

Noghri_ViR posted:

Booked today? Was there even a decent hotel left or do you have to stay in San Jose or even worse, Oakland?

Most of Oakland isn't that bad.

May 14, 2003

Serfer posted:

Fuckin' vmware support taking a week between replies. I just want my machines to replicate, my remote hosts to not refuse to connect to vcenter server, and upgrades to not cause a PSOD, is this too much to ask? The PSOD issue has been open for like a month, and I'm lucky to get two replies a week.

Have you talked to your engineer's manager? Its worth escalating if you haven't gotten a response in this long. Generally when you start raising a stink VMware will address things in a slightly more timely fashion. Otherwise you're just letting your TSE get away with not doing his job.

quote:

https://www.moscone.com/site/do/eve...nav.filter=1402

OH SON OF A BITCH it's in PEX is in SF next year oh well

Why is this bad?

May 14, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

For PEx yes proably a good chunk of it, VMworld, I have only been at my current ~4 months bit harder for them to justify a ~4k expenditure for VMworld.

If they pay for the pass then they should be able to spring for the travel. It's a drop in the bucket and if you work for a VMware partner its pretty easy to get at least 1 comped pass. Hotels aren't too different in cost from Vegas.

May 14, 2003

three posted:

It's hard to even get the networking and server teams in the same room for most companies. NSX is super-duper niche. I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require. Don't add complexity for no benefit!

Server virtualization caught on because it was an easy sell. Lowering costs and physical server count is no brainer. Trying to sell "operational efficiencies" to most companies that just don't have the talent in house to pull it off, or even a need for it, is not an easy sell.

I'd say if you have the license for it you should be using a dvSwitch for your VM traffic. It doesn't really add complexity and it's going to make life easier down the road.

May 14, 2003

three posted:

It raises vCenter from a non-important management server to a critical service. Have problems with standard vSwitch and break things? Easy to fix. Have problems with dvSwitch and break things? Good luck if you're a novice.

They're making progress with later versions (e.g. 5.1+) with its auto-fixing behavior, but it's still more complex.

You could shut down your vcenter server for a week if you wanted to and not have to worry about loss of network until a host dies or you want to make a change like creating a virtual machine.

That said there is no such thing as a non-important management server. All of your monitoring ends up going through vcenter server anyway and it should be treated about the same as any other tool you depend on to keep your environment running. Customers/end users may not see it but operations people certainly will.

I end up gaining better link utilization (LBT is great for novice admins) and I gain per switchport policies (much better for security and overall management), persistent port tracking, netflow and SPAN support. I can still use a standard switch for vmkernel/vcenter/major dependencies or I can use ephemeral binding with a vDS for things like VC, SQL and AD and not worry. Either way it's a small amount of additional complexity for getting much better visibility into the network.

re: the vCloud stuff, anyone with developers in-house has a number of reasons to look at vCloud/openstack/AWS. Conceptually the whole self service/completely arbitrary infrastructure is the bit that has a bright future.

May 14, 2003

three posted:

I presume you run vCenter Heartbeat in all of your environments then? If not, clearly you don't consider it important.

Heartbeat, SQL clustering and some automated way of rebuilding vCenter from scratch in under an hour if for whatever reason it dies. All of your VMware monitoring ends up in vcenter server? Why not treat it as a fairly important system?

My personal environment I just use HA with ephemeral port-binding (for vCenter, 1 AD server and my database server) and I can rebuild vCenter from scratch in ~15 minutes but so far it's had less than 10 minutes of vcenter outages in the last 12 months. All of my management vmk interfaces are on a standard switch but every virtual machine sits on the vDS.

That said if your vCenter server is down the only things it impacts during that are creating VMs and being able to vmotion things. You can't really create a VM without vCenter server anyway so it doesn't matter that vCenter is unavailable to deal with assigning a static port binding.

quote:

I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require.

Even when I had ~15 virtual machines I still needed visibility into network traffic and some relatively sane means of distributing my VM traffic over multiple links (preferably over multiple physical switches.) Exporting netflow data and being able to wireshark network traffic is tremendously helpful in troubleshooting those "oh it must be VMware" issues that pop up non-stop even today.

Load based teaming is about as simple as you can get and would work with everything from a dlink switch to a nexus 7k without having to depend on configuring port-channels or deal with hashing algorithms.

Essentially the vDS has more positives than negatives as your environment grows and it's worth spending the time to understand how it works.

May 14, 2003

Misogynist posted:

There is no "VMware versus OpenStack." VMware needs OpenStack to survive in the age of Amazon Web Services and Google Compute Engine and Rackspace Cloud. They faltered and screwed the pooch with vCD, and now they don't have time to build a proprietary product that people actually want.

Agree strongly.

El_Matarife posted:

Now we get to the fun stuff. You need to write up the design and implementation of new network in ~300-400 pages of documentation. That includes business needs and requirement gathering, a run book, and all kinds of stuff. There's a blueprint and book out there, go take a look. That's easily a 500 hour project I'd expect to take a year or eighteen months. In fact, I hear at VMworld there's still people defending designs based on 4.1, though this or early next year is probably the last possible defense session for a 4.1 design.

The absolute best way to go through this process is with a real project. I got lucky that when I was accepted for my defense I had literally just wrapped up a customer design. I'd say that project itself was somewhere in the neighborhood of ~450ish hours nonstop. It really worked out because there were a lot of instances where I had to do some things due to customer constraints/requirements that fly right in the face of accepted best practices. Since I had a lot of defense-llike questions from the customer I was pretty well prepared for anything the panel was going to throw at me.

All in all it was a fun experience (I enjoyed the first and 3rd portions of the defense the most.) Was pretty jazzed to make it through completely and I've made sure to take every VCAP-DCD exam since passing (I started with 3.X back when the program was first released.)

May 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

I also have no idea what the plan is with vCD, vCAC, and whatever other vProducts VMware creates in the future is. As far as I'm aware your options are:
  • Use a per-ESXi nova-compute instance and let OpenStack try to balance capacity, high availability, and everything else. Why are you even running ESXi?
  • Pay for vCD, vCloud, vCAC, or whatever it is now as a layered product on top of your other layered products
What I'd love to see:
  • VMware submits code for a nova-compute instance which presents resources on a per-vCenter cluster level for OpenStack integration and scraps all the vCloud bullshit
But yeah, you can use ESXi as the hypervisor, and VMware actively maintains the nova drivers for it.

disclaimer: I do 3rd party consulting and I'm currently a VMware partner.

vCAC is going to be the portal you'll see in enterprise IT. Straightforward to use, cost reporting, etc. vCAC should be able to consume resources from vCenter, vCD, AWS and coming soon Openstack (with an initial focus on Canonical and Red Hat's implementations first.) It's going to be the "user friendly" cloud interface with approvals, cost reporting, etc.

vCD is going to stay mostly with service providers. We've had some success with vCD in some places but other places it flops because the customer wants to use it in a way it wasn't meant to be used. The plan is to eventually merge vCD entirely into vCAC and vCenter sometime in the future. Hopefully they don't completely scrap it since there's a number of folks

May 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Whoever is talking about this to you doesn't understand OpenStack at all. I'm going to do a small writeup later today, because everyone talks about it like it's this nebulous thing and it's really not.

They were mostly complaining that rackspace is doing some things differently (guessing more around the services they offer than anything.) I'm not an openstack guy though so who knows. Also the fellow I talked to was a director not an engineer so who knows.

May 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

I guess my point was more that one of biggest points about OpenStack is API consistency. Interacting with and consuming data from Rackspace, Redhat, Canonical, and some guy who got the git sources running on his own distro which doesn't appear anywhere else should be identical. From a "we interact with your services" perspective, there ought to be zero differences between Redhat, Canonical, Rackspace, Paypal, and anyone else running Openstack.

I agree with you I just don't have the practical experience to confirm if that's actually the reality though. Hoping in the next few months to start becoming acclimated though.

May 14, 2003

Just as an aside vmkernel isn't actually a product you buy. You're getting ESXi of which vmkernel is a part of. It's like saying "I'm running vmlinuz" or something equivalent when you actually mean RHEL/CentOS.

quote:

OpenStack is not aiming for the VMware stack.

I'm sure it is looking for wider adoption though. I'd like to see it become the default cloud interface if only to make my job easier. I follow what you're saying but a lot of people have a hard time separating the two since VMware/EMC both have products that attempt to compete where Openstack actually sits.

May 14, 2003

Misogynist posted:

To be an Utter loving Pedant, ESXi isn't a product you buy anymore either. But that's missing the bigger point: the VMkernel and associated low-level management tools (i.e. not the vSphere Client) is VMware's competitor to KVM and Xen. KVM and Xen are both low-level frameworks with higher-level abstractions and products built around them.

You can still get ESXi standalone (aka vsphere hypervisor) and as of last week without any goofy memory limitations anymore! I don't disagree with the rest of what was being said though. It's just that by itself 'vmkernel' is pretty useless.

May 14, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

Honestly, I thought vCloud Director was going to become a full fledged configuration management system to replace SCCM and complement vCenter Configuration Manager. I really don't want two separate suites from Microsoft and VMware managing the same set of VMs and I think we're pretty set on vCenter Configuration Manager since we need something for hosts and guests. What other config managament products are worth looking into on Windows?

Do you have any good source for off the shelf deployment scripts?

vCloud director gives you VMs and lets you manage the network around said VMs in a fairly straightforward manner. Things like config management and application deployment are all up to you. It's fine to layer tools as long as you understand how they inter-operate. There's nothing saying that you can't use openstack to build your windows VMs and provide storage and then have SCCM come in later to do whatever magic it's going to do.

What is it you're trying to get to? Everything I've heard you mention thus far can be done today with just vCenter server. Some of it could be taken a step further with vCenter orchestrator and/or powershell.

quote:

Right now, unless you've got a bunch of advanced vCLI Powershell scripts, you've got to run the deploy VM from template wizard six times, then go in and run vCenter Configuration Manager against the new VMs to harden them, then add them to SRM, adjust all the pool and share and quota settings, etc. It's maybe an hour per VM and like 5 different control panels to touch, assuming you've got VAAI with a good SAN and your templates clone fast.

All of these are opportunities for automation. At the last gig I did VMware config manager I actually had the provisioned virtual machines call "home" (aka vCM) and register. Then they would immediately begin pulling down packages, changing configs or whatever needed to happen to comply with the rules we setup in vCM. Once that was done the systems would basically 'wget' whatever they needed to install (like MSSQL server) and we'd let it go through an unattended installation.

The only remaining bit is SRM (which by the way isn't actually integrated with vCloud director and the "whitepaper" on the subject is a total kludge of a solution) but if you setup your inventory mappings correctly and don't need to make a lot of changes it's not going to be too difficult to configure protection for newly provisioned virtual machines.

quote:

The catalog based sandbox deployment they use in the VMware Hands On Labs site is pretty much exactly what I'd like to do for dev /QA teams. And I'd love fancier templating with more attached policies and guest customization steps like "Install IIS" or "Enable this server role". If that's going to be in vCenter going forward, great, I'll save a ton of money not buying the full cloud suite.

You can do this in vcenter now. You can actually save guest customization specifications that execute scripts in the guest at provisioning time. vCloud (and I imagine vCAC) is going to give you some fancy networking on top of that which may or may not matter depending on what your devs are doing/how they work.

fakedit: if this post seems disjoined as hell it's probably just because I'm exhausted after a very long day.

May 14, 2003

You can run Hyper-V ontop of ESXi to run your Hyper-V VM :eng101:...

Absolutely do not do this.

Convert it and run it natively.

May 14, 2003

Okay so I randomly PM a low number VCDX about poo poo which to become a VCDX(and I know he hates the poo poo out of me; and is which is why I want to repay him); And I am sure annoys the piss out of him. So I want to ask you all:

I really want to be a VCDX one day; I'll go through some poo poo to get there but I want to be a VCDX/CCNP/EMISCA when I am 25-26....

What do you think best practice could help me on?

I mean poo poo any advice is useful I want to make best of it! I WANT TO BE A VCDX!

Are you drinking again?

That said I'm not sure I understand your question but if it's something you really want then you should prepare for a long hard road. Once you get the two exams down you're going to need to start building some practical experience doing design work. When you're doing your design if the only justification for your decisions are "it's a best practice" then you're not really going to get very far.

You should be able to speak with some level of depth on everything your design touches. You'll need to be able to speak with clarity and confidence in everything you do.

So how do you prepare? Get involved and lead design projects. Be able to speak to network and storage people in their language. Have a basic understanding of common applications (things like SQL server, Exchange, etc. Color this based on what your customer base/industry is doing)

Start to get an understanding of the business side of things (the whys of what you're doing.) This becomes crucially important when you start taking DR, service levels, etc. It's worth getting an understanding of things like TOGAF and/or Zachmann to give you some ideas for approach here.

Develop your communication skills! This is crucially important as an architecture in your head is completely worthless if you can't properly communicate it to your customers/team/stakeholders, etc. You'd posted a visio earlier (I think in this thread) that I wanted to ask questions on but got sidetracked with work. Some high level feedback was that I was unclear what it was you were trying to tell me. At it's face value I saw things in it that didn't make a lot of sense (hosts connected to inside and DMZ networks for example) but they might have been "dotted line" connections such as an open port through the firewall. You should know how to talk to technology people so you can develop your architecture but you need to know how to talk to business people to find out things like your business requirements, drivers, etc. Also to communicate to them the benefits of your design and how it meets any requirements/addresses risks that matter to them.

All that said I don't hate anyone! I just get busy.

May 14, 2003

Worked/sold with UCS for a good while at my last job. What do you want to know about them?

Cons's
They are overpriced compared to any competitor, basically whitebox HP's with a custom java management console.
Unless you an a var you where you are a full cisco partner and get mega BOGO's or discounts they are uber expensive to most end customers
They boast "ram and CPU configs" you can get "nowhere else" because you can get it better else where if you go to hp's sce or dell since 2010
Shipping SUCKS rear end, dell can send it to my in 4 days why does a PCI card delay my order by 21 days? gently caress YOU

Cisco's cutting some pretty deep discounts for them (smartplay bundles get you in the door for dirt cheap). It's pretty price competitive against HP C7000 and featurewise I'd put it ahead. It's pretty much the farthest thing from a whitebox HP with "a custom java management console." UCSM is pretty damned extensible and we've done some pretty rad stuff with blades that are largely stateless (more on this below.)

We've extended upwards of 45% off (better at end of quarter) to a large portion of our customer base. Pretty much every customer that's bought them has fallen in love with them. I have one customer right now that buys ~10-11 chassis worth every 8 months or so.

The CPU and RAM configs are based on the whole "virtual DIMM" extended memory tech that Cisco's pushed. It's not on every platform but they do have some configs you can't get any other way and in those configs you don't have to clock the memory down when you max the platforms out.

I'd say the only legitimate con here is that Cisco's logistics are absolutely horrible. That said we've been able to get most orders out within a week of getting a PO.

Some things we're doing with UCS:

1. I can automate the provisioning and identity of blades. This goes down to every last detail including how many NICs, what MACs they have, how many HBA's, what WWWNs and even what UUID the blades get stamped with. This is helpful for us for our provisioning systems since we store metadata in all the unique identifiers. If you want a Hyper-V server the MAC is X, if it's an ESXi server the MAC is Y. Based on this data we feed a specific PXE image to the box to stand it up.

2. I can store BIOS settings and firmware versions in a blade profile. This is helpful for large scale consistent deployments and/or changes. This is also helpful when you need to change a BIOS setting over a large number of blades since it can propagate that change down to all the blades using that policy.

3. I boot everything from SAN; what this means is I can replicate my server boot LUNs to the DR site and be 100% confident that it's going to boot at the DR site. I export my server profiles to my DR site and apply them to the UCS there. For all intents and purposes that blade looks exactly the same as the blade in my primary right down to the 'dmidecode' output. This is helpful for some of the workloads that haven't yet been virtualized.

4. Hardware upgrades take almost no time at all. I buy a new blade, pop it in a chassis then just move a server profile to it. If for whatever reason I have a problem I can roll it back pretty quickly by just moving the server profile back.

5. (this is more for the reseller side of our business); I can sell installation services for dirt cheap because we've completely automated the provisioning process (thanks to the UCSM API); that means we spend a day or so racking all of your chassis then about an hour doing the logical config on the blade. Then it's a day of walking the customer through how things work, etc.

6. It's a single management point for up to 320 blades (depending on oversub ratios.) Practically speaking we generally see on average ~12-16 chassis per pair of fabric interconnect though.

7. Unified port and 10 gig. Plug your NAS/iSCSI appliance right into the fabric interconnect if you're not yet on 10 gig. Optionally run the fabric interconnects in full fabric mode.

8. Having a read only NX-OS instance running on the FI is pretty helpful for troubleshooting.

9. Boot from software iSCSI!

10. I can actually manage my rackmount servers from the fabric interconnects that manage my blades.

Backing up and restoring UCS configs is a lot more straightforward to me than it is on HP.

I could go into more details with respect to the benefits if I knew more about your environment. I'm not saying you should absolutely buy UCS but it's good to evaluate it on it's merits (we have no trouble getting a 4 blade config with a pair of FIs in the customer doors to eval for 90 days.)

Feature wise it's got most everything I can think of that HP does.

Some actual cons:
1. Java.... I'm tired of dealing with java. Cisco is no better with their java apps and sometimes java updates break UCSM.

2. If you don't take time to plan things up front and understand how UCS behaves you can very easily paint yourself in a corner.

3. call home isn't configured by default.

4. if you're using brocade switches for northbound FC connectivity you may run into some issues with load distribution.

Toss some questions out if you're interested in more information.

1000101 fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 9, 2013

May 14, 2003

If you want to get a feel for the UI you can access the platform emulator here:
https://developer.cisco.com/web/unifiedcomputing/ucsemulatordownload

Will give you a functional UI (you can't boot blades though) and an option to fiddle with the API.

May 14, 2003

I like you 1000101 but Imma need to nitpick you.

Did this change in the latest revision? the onboard poo poo still felt laggy as poo poo in G2/G1; I'd imagine they are on G4 as they follow intels click-clock cycle. I thought HP still made their boards which was one of the many reasons they introduced supported virtual CUCM on HP first, as a hand off.

Haven't seen issues with it since UCS 1.4 or even previous to that. Customers using HP C7000 have compared the performance favorably. In my lab right now I don't notice any difference in lag/performance between the UI of OA vs UCSM.

Regarding CUCM I would rather drink a vat of bleach before I ever touch anything involving voice. I'm guessing the certification process was due more to HP starting the process sooner. When UCS was conceived it was done so in a separate spin-out which was later spun in.

quote:

Their blades, I won't knock you, they are drat good and converged networking makes them sweet as butter. My complaint is, excluding Med-large Enterprise with constantly growing or somewhat large scale TI staff they still fall short of the SMB base and to some extent the Medium-small enterprise workspace. Granted they have some nice features but many other vendors such as HP/Dell/IBM can provide 70-85% the level of functionality that UCSM provides. I guess it really depends on the requirements of the customer to find if UCSM is viable to the customer needs.

I'm not sure I follow how they "fall short of the SMB base and to some extend the medium-small enterprise workspace." Our VAR side has made some pretty good inroads into the SMB marketplace since, as I've said before, we can get pretty price competitive with Cisco's aggressive discounts. I'd argue as an SMB you're in a more favorable place to continue down the cisco road for growth since your largest investment is going to be the fabric interconnects. The UCS Chassis and IOMs are pretty cheap. That just leaves the blades which without aggressive discounts cost the same as HP counterparts.

So now I've got a bunch of stuff to make my life easier at the same or less cost. Why not go with a more feature-rich solution?

quote:

Depends on the "clock down" I'd argue clock down of ram vs CAS I can get on other boxes but I think I see where you are going with it but not completely sure. The whole "we don't do AMD" makes me a bit ehh. I mean yeah AMD lags behind on a few things but Piledriver did step it up quite a bit.

I haven't bothered with an AMD server since Intel launched Nehalem years ago. That said, sticking with 1 vendor does help Cisco keep costs down and I personally don't care what CPU is in there as long as it meets customer needs. If tomorrow a 1000 dollar AMD ran say 15% faster than a 1000 dollar Intel I might decide to care.

Regarding RAM speeds I've run into applications where this matters. Large data sets people tend to want all of the memory bandwidth available to them.

quote:

I too love adding a embedded usb drive of 8GB for 125$ and having a shipment delayed for 21 days

I don't think we've ever let an order get held up for an embedded USB drive. Who were you using for distribution?

quote:

I agree with you on most of that, I can see use case in extra large environments with PCI/gove/healthcare/data sec/etc audits.

A lot of that we've developed for the SMB market where the VMware guy is also the server guy, windows guy and storage guy. Anything we can do to make the "lone ranger" sysadmin job easier is generally a good thing.

Some of it (the DR stuff for example) was built for larger enterprise.

quote:

Come on man autodeploy + failback to embedded USB; Or are you talking large+ scale gov/healthcare deploys if so Okay I can see SW iSCSI boots as a goody but autodeploy man...

I'm talking about things other than ESXi servers? Hyper-V? Citrix? KVM? Just running stuff on bare metal? This was a pretty useful feature in a software dev lab that was pretty deep into NetApp storage.

quote:

I'd like to argue, keep the HW platform as low config and standered as I can but I think I see where you are going on that.

If that's the case then use rackmount systems and avoid blades entirely.

If we're comparing apples to apples though where you have things like virtual connect/flex and you're carving out network cards and HBAs then I think people can appreciate the UCS backup process.

quote:

Agree'd I think a bunch of it comes down to customer needs and what value they find in X features

If it does everything that competing platform does, and can cost less than the competing platform and also brings additional things to the table that the competing platform doesn't then why not look at it as a serious competitor?

May 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I'm nitpicking your nitpick at this point, but come on. Of course SMB does not need the complexity of UCS because managing a handful servers and a couple off-brand switches is not complicated. When you're talking about hundreds(++) of servers being able to manage all of that from within one app becomes a lot more attractive.

Also, yes, gently caress Java forever.

If there's one thing we can all agree on!

May 14, 2003

Anyone else here force small page tables for VDI?

It has a slighter higher CPU overhead but I am seeing 120-175% TPS improvements.

I realize ESXi 5.x has extended page tabling on by default, which seems to have some improvements for large memory apps.

Just wondering what some rebuttles are to not use it in a VDI where CPU is not overly constrained, as I got into a somewhat lengthily discussion with an engineer earlier today

Keep in mind that EPT (or AMD's RVI) doesn't necessarily mean you're using large pages; you can actually use it with small pages as well. What EPT does give you is the ability to have guest memory managed in hardware as opposed to via software. If a little extra latency doesn't hurt your apps then it may be worth forcing small pages to get higher consolidation ratios.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Perf_ESX_Intel-EPT-eval.pdf

As a side note when the ESXi host becomes memory constrained it should start breaking large pages up into small pages by default.

EPT is REALLY handy for Java apps and basically broke down the last barrier to get some of my customers to adopt VMware. You almost always want EPT/RVI enabled.

May 14, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Instead of having each of our 6 VLAN's on their own NIC to just bond them all together and make a vSwitch or something that contains them all? Is there an article that explains this a little bit more? It just seems wasteful to do it that way when we have very little traffic on two of them.

Most hypervisors support 802.1q vlan tagging. If you were building an ESXi server you'll probably want to configure the switchports your ESXi server is plugged into as VLAN trunk ports and add all your VLANs. Then on the ESXi side create a portgroup for each of your VLANs.

May 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I must be missing something, but is there an easy way to create a bunch of linked clones in vSphere? I'm setting up a test environment for a project I'm working on, and it would be nice to save the storage space. Hyper-V calls them differencing disks I think, I'm looking for the same thing basically. One master image and then just the deltas for each VM elsewhere.

PowerCLI New-VM has an option to create a linked clone. Also vCenter orchestrator has the capability to provision VMs based on linked clones.

edit: it's not exposed in the vsphere client or the web client by design.

1000101 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 2, 2013

May 14, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I was trying to mirror my roommate's setup, and from everything that we can tell (other than me using a generation newer) it's all set up the same. Since I've got the parts coming to build a NAS I'm not going to stress over it too much right now.

Setup your RDM as physical mode not virtual. That's probably why you see the RDM vmdk stub growing. I'm guessing you had it snapshotted at the time?

May 14, 2003

thebigcow posted:

This is great up until you make a new vm and forget to set the hardware level to a previous version.

Nothing that a text editor couldn't fix.

May 14, 2003

I think as of now only Firefox is a supported browser. Chrome and safari should throw a non-fatal warning up but it mostly works. I've never seen it just throw XML at me before? Who is the provider?

May 14, 2003

^nice

Also anyone here at PEX? I have a few friends out there one taking his VCDX defense today in a hour or so, I made it a semi requirement that I go to VMworld and PEX for my new job so I shouldn't have trouble meeting any of you guys if ya'll go.

Sitting in a PEX bootcamp for vCAC right now actually. The lunches this year are loving horrible.

May 14, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

They announced results? I thought the grading rubric usually takes a week.

You can find out the same day.

I got my results the next day when I did it.

May 14, 2003

Mausi posted:

I've just seen a client who are choking on CPU utilisation because they've decided their watermark is how many people they can get running their telepresence suite with webcams.

My question, what do you guys redirect to Syslog for forwarding out to central logging from your ESXi5.x hosts? I see that vpxa and hostd are included by default, I'm going to add fdm and vmkernel - would you add anything else?
Hosts are rackmounts running NFS/FC/10GbE

If ssh is enabled then maybe the auth log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

Check the network folder for any permissions that may still be lingering about.