Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Hadlock posted:

I will see if I can "install" esxi 5.x to a USB drive then pull the drive once it's all in RAM

Can confirm this works. Wondered about my non-redundant SD cards in all my servers so I tested it somewhere back in the thread by pulling them after boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I recently did a fresh reinstall of VCenter 5.5 with the web client server due to some SSO bugs in the upgrade from 5.1. Imagine that.

But one thing I noticed is that the web client became much, much faster on the same hardware than it was before the reinstall. The old server had been upgraded from 4.1 --> 5 --> 5.1 --> 5.5. Java heap settings? Something else? Not sure.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You likely just need faster disk. If you're not hosting VMs on SSD or other fast storage you're going to get a whole lot more mileage out of that than server hardware.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KennyG posted:

What am I missing?

Right click on the host and reconfigure for HA -- it will probably clear it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Here's the guide.

It is really, really easy if you can get the right tools in place. This is an actual cluster with shared storage and vmotion? That means no downtime.

You need to figure out what version you're on and if there's a supported upgrade path. Just look in the VSphere client for the version and whether it's ESXi or ESX. Docs like this document the supported upgrade paths.

You need to follow the steps in order. You upgrade VCenter and other supporting apps first before upgrading hosts. Before each time your hosts jump a major version , you will need to redo your license keys.

If there's an upgrade path, install Update Manager, upload the ESXi images into the patch store, attach the upgrade baseline to the host, scan for updates, put in maintenance mode, remediate. Repeat 3x. You can actually do the whole cluster in one operation and it will automatically shuffle VMs around, but crawl before you walk.

If there's no upgrade path, it's likely because you're moving from ESX to ESXi. Figure out where you want to install ESXi (SD card or hard drive), document your current settings, do a clean install, and redo your settings. Should be an hour per host.

If you're running name brand hardware, for both methods, use the customized ISOs for that vendor's hardware.

I'm probably forgetting a few steps, depending on what version you're coming from. 25 hours seems excessive no matter what the case though. I'd do it for less :xd:

KS fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 25, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BnT posted:

Oh yeah, the reason I'm here; Does anyone know of a way to quickly find a list of VMs that have snapshots from vCenter? vSphere 4.1u2 if it matters.

RVTools from http://www.robware.net/ can do this and everything else.

Nitr0 posted:

Has anyone deployed any hardware to get rid of their modems? What would be the best way to do this?

Do yourself a favor and buy the Digi brand products if you're going to do this. They have the reputation as the only ones that are rock solid. I've only ever used it for licensing dongles, though, not something real time like a modem. Might want to start small and test or look for others' experiences.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm going by the performance charts in vCenter.

One thing that was weird is that the CPU is 2GHz, but it reported using around 2.3 GHz. Is that just a virtualization quirk?

Intel turbo boost. It can clock individual cores higher than stock to boost single-threaded workloads. The fewer cores active, the more the individual core will boost.

I haven't seen the turbo boost steppings listed on ARK but they're on wikipedia. For instance, an 8-core E5-2640 is 3/3/3/3/3/3/4/5. At 2 ghz base and 100 mhz Turbo boost increments, that processor will hit 2500 mhz if one core is loaded, 2400 if 2 cores, and 2300 if 3 or more cores are loaded. It's a feature to maximize performance while staying within the TDP.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm trying to figure out a way to move the host management interface from one port group to another (in different vlans) on a VDS. Everything I've tried so far has rolled back. Has anyone pulled this off?

Actual quote from VMware support: "just update the IP address in the DCUI and it'll automatically change port groups." Uh, what?

KS fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 25, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

1000101 posted:

Create a new one on the target then delete the old one.

edit: optionally the migrate virtual machine networking wizard would work if the IP/subnet wasn't changing.

Surprisingly this doesn't work. I can create new vmnics all day but if I select the "use this interface for management traffic" option it loses connection to the host and rolls back. Is there only one interface at a time that gets that option or something?

I haven't gone all-in and tried to change the default gateway at the same time. Guess I will.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Moey posted:

How many people actually use that? I had an old boss who always wanted to spring for the licenses to do the iSCSI offload with our Emulex cards, but I never saw a use in our environment.

Tried to do hardware iscsi with QLE8242s and it was an unmitigated disaster. I think I posted about how bad their software suite was earlier in the thread, but in addition to the horrible GUI, we could never get them to survive a controller failover. Timeout values weren't adequately tweakable. Switching to software iscsi fixed it with no real loss in performance.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Erwin posted:

However, the right way to back up a SQL server is to back up the databases using SQL Server's built in backup functionality.

That's not really true -- Veeam, PHD, and most SAN snapshotting software can create a VSS Full backup that is functionally equivalent to a native SQL backup, but better in that it doesn't necessarily consume the extra time to run, disk space, and IO.

The setting is named different things in the various software packages, but if it creates a VSS Full (vs. Copy) backup, it allows SQL to truncate transaction logs and marks the DB as backed up, just like a native backup would do.

KS fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 9, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Misogynist posted:

There are caveats, though. Running a SQL Server database in FULL recovery mode without correctly managing the transaction log will, at best, give you a transaction log that has so many Virtual Log Files that the DB won't start correctly when you go to recover. (2012 is much better than 2008 R2 in this regard.)

As far as I know, this should work fine in SIMPLE, though.

"Full" in the context of VSS is not at all the same as SQL's full recovery model. They are not really related, except that you can use one to help manage the other.

A SQL database in simple mode uses a transaction log only to assure operations are atomic. The transaction log shouldn't grow bigger than the size of currently in flight transactions. A transaction is written to the log, then written to the database, then flushed from the log once it is written to the database completely.

SQL's full mode adds in the ability to keep historical transactions in the transaction log. This means the log can be "replayed" from the last full database backup. The idea with full recovery mode is that if you have a database failure, you can restore the last full backup, then replay the logs forward all the way to the current point in time. The log will also grow indefinitely unless you truncate it. When you issue the truncate command, SQL finds the last full database backup, and flushes all transaction logs before that point in time.

VSS offers two modes of backing up a SQL database: Copy and Full. The difference is that "full" marks the database as backed up for the purposes of transaction log flushing, while "copy" doesn't. If you do a VSS Full backup and then ask SQL to flush transaction logs, all logs from before the backup will be purged. Note this won't actually shrink the log file on disk, but it will free up space within the log file. Shrinking the physical files is generally a bad idea. The transaction log should stabilize at the size necessary to contain all transactions between backup intervals for your busiest interval.

I've actually set all this up on some heavy duty transactional databases with Compellent's tools, and it works great. Replay Manager takes VSS fulls every 15 minutes and keeps 4 hours worth. The transaction logs get archived and then flushed on the same schedule. You can restore a database replay right from Compellent's GUI, check the option to leave the database in recovery mode, and replay the log forward successfully. It gives you the capability to roll back the database to any arbitrary point in time in the last four hours. Netapp, EMC, and others can do the same thing. It's pretty slick, but not really needed for most databases.

e: so if you wanted to use Veeam to backup a database in full recovery mode, all you have to do is make sure you're taking VSS fulls instead of copies, then issue the log flush command as a post-backup script.

KS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 9, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Setting HP power management to OS control can for sure produce PSODs as well. Doesn't sound like that's your issue though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
And you should be able to do shared-nothing vmotion with the VM running if you:
a) are running 5.5
b) are using the web GUI. It doesn't allow it from the thick client.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Yaos posted:

I have a VM running Windows 2008 in VMWare that says it is using 727.17 GB in the vSphere client. On the VM there's a C drive with 77.1 GB free out of 99.8 GB, and a D drive with 1.11 TB free out of 1.21. That's only about 130 GB of used space, where did the rest of the space go?

There's no space reclamation. If that D: drive was ever more full and files were deleted, VMware doesn't know that and can't recover the space at the VMDK level. Would recommend making a new virtual disk for a new D: drive and copying files over within the guest, then deleting the old VMDK if the space is important to you.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not true according to VMware:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005241

There are a ton of links on how to do this, including the storage migration method we tried. As well, our VM admin has done this in the past on another system. I'm not sure why the error is happening this time.

e: Just found this one: http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/02/migrating-rdms-and-a-question-for-rdm-users.html and it seems it might have to be a cold migration.

You're right, this absolutely should work and it's something I do all the time, most recently with a 1.6TB RDM with over 7 million faxes on it that couldn't be down for any length of time. It has to be in virtual mode, but you mentioned that. It should not have to be a cold migration.

I haven't seen your specific error message before and you may need to contact VMware support or do some Googling, but I did have one suggestion. If you hit "advanced" on the migrate screen you can migrate only the RDM drives of the VM while leaving any VMDKs in place. I've found this helps sometimes.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's pretty funny. My USB to serial adapter used to cause BSODs all the time. I've never found one that's 100% reliable.

I picked an HP Elitebook 8560p two years ago mostly because it had a real serial port and it's the best laptop I've ever used. HP made the new ones look like Macbooks and I believe got rid of the serial ports. I don't think there are any current high end laptops with real serial ports anymore, but I'd be happy to be wrong, because I'm up for another one soon.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Just curious if anyone has moved to PHD Virtual 8 and wants to share their experience. We use the exporter, which isn't supported on 8 yet, but I'm curious if the product is improved. I've greatly preferred it over Veeam up to this point.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, that is what I was trying to say earlier. Depending on the vendor the verbage can change. You can hard set it in UEFI/BIOS or you can set UEFI/BIOS to allow the OS to manage it, which ESXi supports.

"Supports"

I've seen so many more PSODs on HP ESXi servers set to OS control that I don't even mess with it any more. Just static high performance in the BIOS.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Moey posted:

After the afternoon I just spent where Meraki took down my production wifi, I feel much better.

Do tell. Considering buying them.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

parid posted:

One copy of datacenter edition per CPU socket of the host (any hypervisor). Most people qualify for some kind of discount. You should work with your VAR to actually see what kind of pricing you can get.

I don't think that's right any more. With 2012 R2 they changed it from per socket to per-server (more precisely per pair of sockets :rolleyes:) That ~$6k price covers any two-socket server with unlimited Windows guests.

Wicaeed posted:

Okay thank god, 2012 Std licensing gives you 2008 R2 Enterprise downgrade rights...
Yeah, the ONLY difference between 2012 R2 standard and datacenter is virtualization rights, and it's nice that they reflected that in the downgrade rights. But if you're already running these on VMware, you should look at Datacenter licensing anyways. It breaks even at ~5 VMs per host.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

parid posted:

Woah, nice! I'm going to look into that. I may be paying support on way too many copies of Datacenter.

I'll make it easy.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/3/9/F39124F7-0177-463C-8A08-582463F96C9D/Windows_Server_2012_R2_Licensing_Datasheet.pdf

2nd page, right side chart, bottom line.

Also 2nd page, left column, bottom paragraph.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Jeoh posted:

Said no one ever when it comes to Microsoft licensing

Boy, isn't that the truth. I'm simultaneously dealing with a VDI deployment (so VDA subscriptions or SA) plus potentially moving laptops to Enterprise for Direct Access, plus negotiating Office 365, plus server licensing. I want to shoot myself.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have an opinion Tintri? I got a call from one of their salespeople but I figured I'd ask around before heading their pitch to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Tintri is really outstanding stuff for VMware storage. I've actually bought it twice now.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

goobernoodles posted:

The opinion of my MS 70-410 class instructor is to just do one big 172.16.0.0/16 subnet and that subnetting is for "people who want to show how cool they are."
That is loving stupid. Question everything else you're "learning" from him. It's actually critically important in an environment where L2 is spanned across sites, because you want to be very careful and deliberate about traffic going across your WAN.

goobernoodles posted:

What I'm hoping to use it for is to be able to vmotion a handful of core servers - primary DC, exchange, and a few application servers before maintenance that would otherwise take these servers down.

Sorry, but so is this. DCs are highly available -- just stand up another one in the other site. Use a DAG for Exchange. Active/active clusters are pretty complex undertakings: you need spanned L2 networks, and you need a redundant highly available WAN since you're running storage traffic over it. Candidly, you don't sound qualified to design this stuff if you're questioning the need to subnet.

goobernoodles posted:

That said, it would give me the freedom to shut physical servers down at a site, and physically clean things up with minimal impact.
A single site cluster gives you this as long as you have N+1 capacity. It's kinda the whole point.

KS fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 3, 2015

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

OK so should I do NFS or iSCSI?

I'd find it on the VMware HCL before using it for VMware shared storage at all. Support will be listed by ESX version and storage protocol.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Gave up on some pretty expensive QLE8242 hardware initiators because they would not work reliably. Most notably they could not survive a SAN controller failure.

Just use the software initiator. The community is so much bigger, bugs are fixed much faster, and it doesn't limit performance at all.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
There's no way view licensing is $3k per user. If you're using their website, the price per unit is a 10-pack. Is that where the discrepancy?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

kiwid posted:

We're about to order our brand new infrastructure and I was wondering if you guys can take a look at it real quick and see if this all looks right (from a networking perspective).

Assume all SFP+ links are 10G.

edit: the vmware teaming links are going to be in failover mode rather than teaming.

I bought one of those SG500 10g switches for a temporary situation and it was an unmitigated disaster. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

If you're looking for a cheaper solution than a pair of 4500-Xs you can do Nexus 3k. You'll be way better off.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
There's nothing simple about storage switching. Some no-frills switches will handle it fine, but others like the SG500 series will poo poo the bed because of small buffers.

What are you buying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It can be a lot of things, including a single disk that is on its way out. Some disks do long timeouts instead of throwing immediate read errors like enterprise disks do.

Any unusual read or write activity correlated with it?