Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004
I've got a question about vMotion and RAM Disks:

We have a two node cluster running ESXi 4.1 with a vCenter Advanced license and vMotion enabled that runs our production mail and media servers. In order to get our email throughput up for our service, we've added ten email servers running XMS. Since XMS hooks into our database, it's very IO intensive when we're trying to send out massive quantities of email and our SAN with its lone 1Gb link per host became a bottleneck. We are going to do what we can to improve that bottleneck in the long run, but in a moment of extreme duress we moved created a 1GB RAM drive on one of the mail servers and moved the XMS spool on to it.

Much to no one's surprise, we saw our throughput increase by something like 700%.

Our application team is well aware of the risks of working with a RAM disk and they're fine with losing the data contained therein in case of a crash or shutdown (the data doesn't matter to our application until it's written to the database - worst case is we'd send out a few duplicate emails).

So my question is how would this be effected by vMotion in case of a host failure? I assume ram states are persisted in case of the failover, and the worst case is there might be a brief loss of synchronicity between all of the parts of the database. Is there anything I should be worried about other than that?

Lastly, any VMware gurus in the NYC area looking for a possible consulting gig? Our System Engineer left us a few months back, and we haven't been able to replace him so I'm filling in and that's less optimal. As we expand our service, I feel like we could really use an expert's eyes on our infrastructure. Obviously you'd be compensated. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

fatjoint posted:

If I understand the question correctly, you're misusing terminology here. Failover doesn't use vMotion - failover is a feature of HA (high availibility), or fault tolerance. vMotion is technology that allows you to move a virtual machine from one running host to another.

You're right - I was misusing the term. Thanks for reading through the lines and answering the question I meant to ask.

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004
VMware Experts,

My employer is looking for someone knowledgeable in VMware and storage to help us with our current ESX infrastructure while we wait to fill the position outlined in this post here.

If any of you in the NYC area are interested, please PM me or email me at cesworthy at Google's email service for more details. I promise there's nothing horrifying or alcoholism inducing involved; we just want a more experienced set of eyes to look at what we have and give us some guidance about how to move forward. Thanks!

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004
All,

My company, located in NYC, but with data centers around North America is about to embark on building out a new VMware environment across multiple sites that will host the expansion of our production platform and eventual our dev environments as well. Because this is by far the largest such project I've ever tackled, we'd like to hire a consultant with substantially more VMware experience than I have to provide the kind of guidance and expertise that only years in the field can provide.

We already have the hardware (Cisco UCS, four hosts per site, Nimble CS460, Ent+ licensing for production hosts, Ent for Dev) which I'm in the process of building out now.

We're looking for someone with the following experience:

1. Multi-site enterprise experience with vSphere and related products and technologies (storage, networking, etc).
2. Ideally dev ops and deployment experience within vSphere.
3. UCS experience would be nice, but not required.

I'm not being super specific in my requirements because this is my project and I know VMware and most related technologies well enough to know how useful the person I'm talking to would be, so certifications aren't important. I've had very good luck working with Goons, so I wanted to reach out here and see if there was any interest. I will be doing most of the work-work, and I see no reason why this position can't be handled remotely.

The position would be paid on an hourly basis, and because I work absurd hours anyway, it's easy for me to accommodate schedules of people with full time jobs.

If you have any interest or questions please PM me or send an email to cesworthy at gmail.

Thanks!

*(this post was SWSP approved)*

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Maybe I'm being an obnoxious pedant, but what exactly does devops have to do with vSphere?

The DevOps portion is only loosely related (deployment makes more sense), but in the kick off meeting I had two weeks ago, my bosses only had questions about how a new virtual environment could help our development and deployment processes. It's less absurd if you know our work flow, and I know they'll start riding my rear end about this shortly, so I figured I'd try and get ahead of their needs and have answers before they have questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

Misogynist posted:

[snip]

"Automated deployment experience with vSphere" is a really great requirement. Asking someone if they have "DevOps experience" is basically asking someone if they've ever worked in a shop where developers and sysadmins actually talk to each other and don't act like dicks.

Thanks for the post, it was really useful.