Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gyshall posted:

Essentials is great if you never have plans to expand out of a 3 host cluster.

If you have any plans on adding more hosts in the near future (ie. 4 years) you have to re-buy/upgrade out of the Essentials kit, basically repurchasing vCenter and the existing 3 host licenses.

That is to say, Essentials licenses can't be used in a non-essentials vCenter.

I do think they have an upgrade path now out of Essentials, but I'm not 100% sure.

Oh yeah definitely, but it's a great way to get started on VMware. The Term licenses especially.

Also what Misogynist said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not knowing any details about your competitors offerings is more common than it should be.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been presented with vSphere 5 (the free hypervisor) running on a shitbox HP tower with only one hard disk in :downs:. I'm convinced that the disk is dying a slow death - one of the Windows guests will run chkdsk on boot and take ~2 hours to finish, backup jobs will fail within 15 minutes of starting, and trying to use vmkfstools to copy the vmdk to another datastore fails at the same place each time. Moving the files using the vSphere Client also fails at the same place each time with file read errors.

The VM itself actually boots and runs fine, but I can't seem to move it away from this disk. Even booting something like Clonezilla and trying to copy the volume that way didn't work, failing at around the same point as every other job.

Is there any way to un-gently caress this situation?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GobiasIndustries posted:

Could you set up a new Windows guest on a non-hosed disk and try migrating the features needed from the VM in question to the newly set up guest?

That is the plan now, it's just a domain controller and print server and that can all be rebuilt pretty easily. I guess a part of me wanted there to be an easy way out of this, but I think it's beyond that point.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget the cold spare licenses required for any cage nuts left in stock but not installed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pass all the individual disks through to the host and run this?

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/data-storage/server-vsa.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy gently caress is it annoying to click something that looks relevant on the MS support pages and be asked to authenticate with your Live ID to get in. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not really an entire Windows server - the hypervisor sort of replaces the OS and then the original OS becomes virtualised on top.

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768520%28v=bts.10%29.aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That becomes slightly relevant if you're buying Veeam - you can only have one Veeam Essentials license per company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a difference at all between giving a VM 2x single core CPUs vs 2x cores, other than guest application licensing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems like something has happened recently to kick VMware into making non-poo poo ways of managing their products

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the defaults are aiming at the highest compatibility rather than the 'best' configuration.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stare:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I work with people who don't 'trust' DNS or static DHCP entries so everything is hard coded to use IP addresses. You might think this makes it tough to have valid certificates, and you'd be right. The solution is to tell their clients to ignore SSL errors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't have time to read the full MSA 2040 blurb but it looks like asynchronous replication which means you will have an RPO involved. I wouldn't be able to recommend such an entry-level SAN for something as critical as "absolutely 0 downtime".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And the costs of the connectivity / general networking stuff.

Nobody who isn't a liar will promise to give you no downtime, either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Oracle still a thing that people would rather spend the $$$ on fighting the licensing terms in court than spending that money on moving to a platform that doesn't come from a company that wants to gently caress you at every opportunity? Genuine question by the way, I have no idea what Oracle's strengths are (were?).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any reason not to be mildly excited about Hyperconverged Storage Spaces Direct?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

vMotion cares about things like processor features like SSE and other more modern extensions, core count isn't a problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bobfather posted:

Another quick question about ESXi to people in the know:

Is there a way to have the free version of ESXi keep a datastore in software RAID 1, assuming I have 2+ drives to support the mirror?

I'm basically trying to avoid having to shell out $$$ for an LSI or Adaptec hardware controller.

Edit: Or barring being able to do this, am I able to use passthrough to give Windows Server 2008 R2 direct access to 2 identical drives, and then use Windows Server to mirror those drives? If I do this, are those drives still seen as datastores? I know If I use passthrough the drives would not be usable by any other VMs.

What's your end goal look like here?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also don't rule out Azure as a place to put a MSSQL database. Obviously depends on your connectivity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

Your IT department is retarded if they can't give you a slice of their storage pie. Lack of credentials on the single log generating machine is a bullshit excuse. There may a handful of options at numerous layers of the network to make it happen.

Yeah, seriously. The way your IT has things set up at the moment is just perpetuating the stereotype of IT being unhelpful guardians of their own little fiefdom.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like Eaton stuff, tends to be slightly cheaper than APC as well here in Europe.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Being able to browse to your VM datastores is nice as well.

Stupid simple VMware question: If I have two sites and want to use site recovery manager then I need vCenter at each end, don't I?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Two vCenter instances in linked-mode.

Or you can be cheap as hell like us and have identical vlan/storage IPs/storage vol names on each side and get your data to both sides with storage replication and then manually import the VMX to your inventory and everything lines up.

Yeah this is the conclusion I have come to since it looks like trying to do this in an automated fashion just ends up taking you down the rabbit hole of fixing the next weak link in the chain and then you're into pushing routing updates to get traffic flowing to your DR site etc. For the 6 VMs that people want to protect in this way I'm tempted to just use Hyper-V with local storage at each side.

Applications that can't cluster in tyool 2016 :argh:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 19, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That was actually what I was thinking of when I said site recovery manager, sorry. Presumably this still requires a vCenter Server license per site though as all the unscheduled failover documentation talks about instigating it from the replica side (makes sense if the primary is down). Can you do this with 2x Essentials Plus clusters or is there a license limitation that prevents that?

I'll throw the question at our VAR and see what they come back with, they can decipher the documentation for me. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 19, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Veeam adds some nice stuff to the failover such as re-addressing networks for different subnets etc.

If you're small and don't need auto failover, synchronous replication etc. then co-locating a server with a bunch of local disk and replicating VMs across with Veeam is hard to beat for the money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I meant buy an R730 or similar and then rent a quarter rack of space and connectivity at a convenient location.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same. Dual SD cards in the hosts, flash cards on the iDRAC (wish they'd fix the 2GB limitation for virtual media though), 'cheap' RAID1 SSDs in case we need the space in an "oh poo poo" moment. And the new HTML5 iDRAC firmware :dance:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They cost very little to add onto the iDRAC Enterprise option, and can store an ESXi installer image.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah deleting snapshot A would just make snapshot B the diff between B and the original VM.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

You use powercli to change the type and the mac will match the old card.

:eyepop:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vulture Culture posted:

Does this product still exist?

Hyper-V server is still a thing, yup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh hey what's this? Someone who has no business speccing up servers has ordered something to host VMs on and deployed it. Let's take a look!

Single quad-core Xeon E3-1xxx, 32GB RAM, running 6 VMs each with 4 vCPUs allocated :cool:. Let me know how you get on with that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.vmug.com/p/cm/ld/fid=8792

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did vCloud Air ever get off the ground?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that's what I heard as well, the entire UK deployed infrastructure was a few racks as of a year ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's announced now

https://www.vmware.com/cloud-services/vmware-cloud-aws.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can reboot an NFS datastore and vSphere (5.5) will reconnect when it comes back up again. Didn't do any configuration to make this happen as far as I can remember.