Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think actually doing without things like vMotion etc wouldn't be too bad in this use case. We just migrated a bunch of services out of an office closet and into the datacenter proper, but that left me with a handful of DL360 G8s sitting in a rack. Thinking about scoring major points with the developers by giving them the servers for an on-prem lab, with the condition that hey, these are YOUR servers, we're not supporting it. Just add them to an existing vCenter, throw their new hosts in a cluster and let them provision whatever they like on the server's local disks.

I'd give them the servers, an isolated subnet and let them install and configure everything themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have an esxi box under my desk right now that's set up the way you want I think. The key is having 2 sata controllers, my motherboard has an asmedia esata port on the back that I pass back into the case which is what I boot off and I pass the intel controller with 6 drives to a linux vm. Also I have a pcie usb 3 card and a 2nd video card I can pass to any vm.

I complicate things even further and do raid and iscsi in the linux vm and pass that back to esxi.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 13, 2017

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on PowerCLI for someone who's done fair bit of UNIX scripting, but is fairly new to VMWare?

You can also script with python https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi but you can tell its not as polished as powercli.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That makes the 48 core epyc pretty pointless, better to get 2 32c or one 64c.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You could try ubuntu 19.10 and if that works upgrade to 20.04 in a few months, or ideally port the whole thing over to centos.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

I'm trying to get nested virtualization (Proxmox=>Win10=>Virtualbox=>Linux) working on a Ryden 3900.

I've followed the guide at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization I've read the forums such as https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-10-1809-nested-virtualization-does-not-work.52554/ but it still doesn't work. Currently, I have the VM set as:

code:
agent: 1
args: -cpu 'host,+svm,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off,hypervisor=off'
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+virt-ssbd;+amd-ssbd
efidisk0: rpool:vm-113-disk-1,size=1M
hostpci0: 2b:00,pcie=1
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win.iso,media=cdrom,size=363020K
machine: q35
memory: 32768
name: t-pain
net0: virtio=D6:13:96:FB:4A:7B,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
scsi0: rpool:vm-113-disk-0,size=64G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=5f58ad26-c659-4542-8fe4-536d73cd0323
sockets: 1
vga: none
vmgenid: 51e24c5f-5fa2-4a4f-a625-60b31dcdd633
runs fine and GPU passthrough on it is working. However, when I go to start any Virtualbox Linux VM inside it, the kernel locks up during the boot process. I suspect that the AMD path is less documented than the Intel one and I'm missing something simple. Has anyone gotten nested virtualization to work on a Ryzen with Proxmox + Win10 + Virtualbox? Or any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

I had to add vmx,rdtscp to the cpu line to get docker working on fedora kvm =>OSX=> Docker.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft is working on using linux on as the root partition for hyper-v https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/17/linux_as_root_partition_on_hyper_v/. Eventually Azure will be running linux on bare metal like every other cloud provider.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Hi thread. I have a windows 10 PC, 9900k, 2080ti, 32gb DDR4 ram. Is it feasible to use a VM so that I can have someone playing a VR game while someone else uses the screens to play a relatively low GPU/CPU demand game? Thanks. I've never done anything with VM before but I'm otherwise a pretty techy goon.

It's cleaner if you do one discreet video card and usb controller per vm, for a while I booted fedora on intel igpu, windows 10 vm with a 2080 and a osx vm on a Rx 570 and I could use all 3 at once. It's also possible to share your 2080ti with multiple vms but you'd lose video out, you'd have to use a bunch of steamlinks or something for that.

Now I proxmox because its basically built for edge cases like this.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Holy cow the new vSphere 7 update 3 is bad. I still use esxi 6.7 but upgraded to vsphere 7 because the ui was better, now its worse than 6. All list views paginate at only 35 items and its not possible to shift select a bunch of vms.

I suppose its going to force me to script everything like I should because batch operations though the web interface are too tedious now.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 23, 2021

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

Hoping this is the right place:

Is there a type-1 hypervisor I can deploy on a desktop and have it boot a specific VM / image automatically unless I hit some magic keys to get a console and deploy a new image / snapshot? I have a particularly troublesome client for whom steady-state software like Deep Freeze doesn't work due to some quirk of how Windows handles their device drivers, but I've managed to get it to play nice with VM pass-through. Now all I need is non-persistence and no way for them to gently caress with the host OS. Ideally I'd have them save their work to external and make the guest VM revert to snapshot on every boot.

I found a couple reddit threads about this but the info was either old, thin or inconsistent.

You could also use bare metal and boot off iscsi and script it so it’s always a fresh snapshot on boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Now that VMware killed the free tier you are officially allowed to pirate it.