Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Syano posted:

Barf. Good luck with them man. We just had to forklift all ours out cause we hated them

Ditto that. We had a reproducible problem where rebooting a certain server would bring down the portchannels to our SAN. We already had cisco switches to replace them, so we just took then out of production and recycled the evil things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Can anyone say whether or not Xen changes the UUID of a VM when it's migrated? We have a vendor whose lovely ecommerce site apparently is tied to the machined UUID, and they say it changed last night. The hosting service we're using is running Xen, which I haven't ever used.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
To be clear, I'm talking about the internal Win32_ComputerSystemProduct UUID, not the UUID of the VM.

hackedaccount posted:

A couple questions come to mind that might help people answer your question:

- How exactly did you migrate it? Some type of live migration, shut down and copy files, etc?
- That's weird that the software is tied to a UUID. Is the vendor SURE it's not tied to something else? I mean, if it's tied to the UUID how would the software function in a non-Xen environment or on bare metal?

It's a hosting provider, so I can't say exactly what happened to make it change. They had some major downtime a week or so ago, but the UUID change resulted in a shopping cart process breaking due to some "unknown specific key" error.

Can someone with Xen try migrating a VM and just "(get-wmiobject win32_computersystemproduct).uuid" from powershell before and after? I can't believe it'd change, but who knows.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 2, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Win7 VMs still take Microsoft licensing, hopefully he has that.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone played around with VMware's new Log Insight appliance?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
No, there's a few limitations on Hyper-V in Windows8 but none of them will probably matter to you. You don't get Live Migration, RemoteFX, SR-IOV, virtual fibre channel, and some other irrelevant poo poo for a desktop lab.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Has Veeam improved in this regard, or do you still have like a 50/50 chance of CBT failing randomly and failing back to a full backup instead of an incremental?

poo poo, 50/50? Have they improved that much?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

If you can get a 20-year-old disgruntled VMware tech to prank call your office for a month with "RANDY WAZZAAAAAAAAP" I'll buy this (this actually happened with Veeam)

What did you do to that poor guy?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Cronus posted:

Does anyone honestly use FT in production? I don't think I have ever heard of a case. The only thing I can think of for it being used would be some Win2K box running a mission critical app that no one understands anymore.

I don't think so. The 1 vCPU limit pretty much means any guest where FT would be really nice can't use it anyways.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
vCPUs, not physical cores. For people who love to over-provision.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I'm going to do a small writeup later today, because everyone talks about it like it's this nebulous thing and it's really not.

Please do.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

You may want to consider not previewing posts with Cloud To Butt Plus enabled.

I thought he did that intentionally. If he didn't, he should've.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Syano posted:

Killed it with a 450! :hfive:

Nice work dude, that's a great score.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I think someone needs to extend Cloud To Butt Plus to cover "software-defined datacenter".

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

Not that I don't believe you but do you have a link that expands on this? I'd like to know more and I couldn't find anything from searching on Google.

It seems like Duncan Epping mentioned it here. Not sure what he's basing it on either, but most references to hotplug overhead seem to cite that post as a source.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
This question's probably aimed at evol262, but here for anyone else as well:

We've got some junky vendor Windows application which they seem to tie to the UUID accessible via PowerShell in the win32_computersystemproduct WMI object, which is linked to the IdentifyingNumber in that same object (pulled from CIM_product apparently). As an example from a random VMware VM in my infrastructure:
code:
> Get-WmiObject win32_computersystemproduct | fl identifyingnumber,uuid,name,vendor

identifyingnumber : VMware-42 31 03 56 10 17 de a8-2a 5f 41 70 a5 3e 10 0a
uuid              : 56033142-1710-A8DE-2A5F-4170A53E100A
name              : VMware Virtual Platform
vendor            : VMware, Inc.
So, identical aside from formatting and a prefix.

On the VMware side, this UUID is specified in the vmx configuration file and shouldn't ever change:
code:
# cat server.vmx | grep uuid.bios
uuid.bios = "42 31 03 56 10 17 de a8-2a 5f 41 70 a5 3e 10 0a"
Now, we have a virtual machine with our hosting company running the same software. They're apparently on a RedHat platform based on device names I can see in Device Manager (e.g. Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller).

On that machine, the UUID seems to fluctuate periodically, which breaks our vendor software. Checking the same WMI object on that server:
code:
> get-wmiobject win32_computersystemproduct | fl identifyingnumber,uuid,name,vendor

identifyingnumber :
uuid              : 2214DBC4-102A-E311-B4AA-DC38FFE645B5
name              : Bochs
vendor            : Bochs
I'd guess it's fluctuating periodically because there's no hardware IdentifyingNumber being provided by the virtual machine hardware, as would be done in the vmx for VMware, so it's just regenerated every time x happens. I'm not sure if this is a misconfiguration our hosting company's side, or something we should look at the vendor to fix. Any comment?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks, that's extremely helpful.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Does anyone know of a real world actual use case for FT? I can't really think of any outside of some theoretical edge cases.

Mission-critical apps that can't be down for as long as it takes HA to kick-in, yet still only require 1 vCPU? Yeah, you're not alone in scratching your head at that one.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Have some docs and what's probably a relevant bug report (about the Canonical developers making the same mistake your hosting company is making) to show them.

Talked to said hosting company, they admitted that this is the problem but since most of their guests are Linux they don't really care. :sigh:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone know what might have stopped an otherwise well behaved vCenter server from displaying performance information for a SAN disk? I get the disk space stats just fine, but when I go to load any performance related information from the 'Datastore and Datastore Clusters' tab, I get a 'Could not load data' error across all performance information and performance information time periods.

Probably this bug. You can view Realtime stats, but not historical stats, right?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Is there any reason why I shouldn't rely on vmkping as a troubleshooting tool?

We've just moved over from 1gig to 10gig backend fabric, including our vmotion traffic, and I'm seeing some strange timeouts when certain hosts try to vmotion to other hosts - no pattern that I've found, but I'm trying to test with a vmkping from the vmotion vmk interface on host A to the vmotion vmk interface on host B and VMware is telling me that vmkping isn't always reliable. So far it seems to match up reasonably well with the reality of what I can and can't vmotion, so I'm not sure what VMware's talking about.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks Dilbert and KS for the responses. I had several different things I had to run down, but KS was on the right track with multiple vmotion interfaces. Disabling vmotion on the old 1gig fabric's vmkernel interfaces was something I'd forgotten to do, so it put me in the strange spot where vmkping would fail (we'll get to that in a second) but vmotion would succeed (because it was going over the 1gig fabric).

The vmkping issue was caused by a misconfigured portchannel between our two 10gig switches. We have a vmotion-enabled vmkernel interface on each host with two active vmnics - if the vmnics in use by the vmkernel interfaces on two hosts were connected to the same switch, it'd work. If they were on different switches, it wouldn't work. Simple enough once we realized what was going on, but assigning active/active vmnics to a vmk just let us assume that it would work if at least one path was valid, when in fact it pics a vmnic and sticks with it (on boot?).

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Not sure if that's good or bad but okay?

I thought the same thing, you sound... normal.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Am I losing out to too much by specifying HW7 when creating new VMs on 5.5? I want to be able to manage them using the thick client, even though I'm kind of coming around to the Web UI for most stuff (Mac user). If I'm really losing out on some awesome performance options then I'll go to whatever new HW version I need, but if it's just fluff then I dunno.

Are you just dorking around in a lab, or is this for a production environment? Comparison here.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Sweet Jesus, why is VMware's KB so bad? I swear there's about a 95% chance, any time I click on a kb.vmware.com link, that this will be the result:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vsphere-html5-web-client

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

Now if only they could make one for managing licenses and keys that actually works and is online more than 50% of the time

If Cisco made a somewhat not-lovely SMARTnet portal, maybe there's hope for VMwawre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone know if this KB article also applies to 6.0.x? I'm pretty sure we just experienced exactly this issue - one VM went unresponsive, then the entire host freaked out and we ended up pulling power from it because no shutdown options (for guests or the host itself) were actually working. However, we're on 6.0 and the KB article says applies to 5.5.x and 6.5.x.