Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

Has anyone here converted pRDMs to VMDKs? What is the timeframe on something like this? Same as a normal storage migration?

Seems very straight forward. Just do an offline storage migration and it will copy all the data from the RDM and create a VMDK. My old boss setup a few production servers with RDMs that have no business being RDMs, so I am trying to straighten poo poo out.

One of the machines has about 500gb of scans (17 million files), so that is the one I am most nervous about.

If you have the extra storage space you could also do an online file sync using something like RichCopy, then just cut over at night one night and have minimal downtime.

Aniki posted:

I'm not sure if there is another thread suited for this question, but we're looking at setting up some virtualized servers at work. We would be using and there would probably be 3 or 4 virtualized servers at the onset. Two would be running Windows Server 2008 R2 (phone server and call logging software), another would be a Fedora install running LAMP, and there may be a dedicate Oracle server running on Fedora.

How I do figure out what type of server/hardware would be appropriate to run the virtual servers that I need? Ideally I'd like some sort of dual server setup for loadbalancing and some degree of redundancy, but would I want to look at blade servers or are there other options that I should consider? I am talking to NetApp today about a SAN for the VMs, but I'm a bit unsure of what direction to go with the actual server.

Sorry if this is a basic question. I'm normally good with hardware, but I'm just having difficulty wrapping my head around what sort of equipment I'll need to run the 3-4 VMs that I need.

You'll definitely want 2 servers, otherwise it is kind of silly to virtualize. I would highly suggest 1u or 2u servers over blades, especially since you're not really hurting for density with only 3 VMs. Unless you are planning on a ton of growth, I think anything NetApp would offer is probably way overkill. I would look at Equallogic, specifically the PS4100. I will admit I do not know much about NetApp, though. This thread will probably be more helpful for SAN-specific advice - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

[Edit: Oh, to see what you would need for virtualization you'll want to run Perfmon for a day or two on all the servers, measuring pretty much everything you can. There is also VMware's consolidation tool or capacity planner, but I am not sure if that is still in use. Bit behind on my VMware knowledge. Probably overkill for 3-4 VMs.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I used it for moving 7m files from one array to another (RDM hurf) and it worked very well, plus you can do multiple syncs. The first one takes the longest, then just the changes. Just a thought if downtime is a problem. You can tweak the number of threads used for discovery, transferring files, etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe I'm old school or just used to playing with setups that aren't an unlimited budget, but automating something like that seems odd to me. The chances of an entire SAN failing is relatively low and automating the start of rolling over seems risky. I'd say use SRM to do it all for you, but still require someone to push a button to get it started.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The netscaler is the Internet facing and acting as a CAG, right? If so then that is what you need to put the SSL cert on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do.

Did that and got the same error :(

Me and the guy above your post are trying to say the same thing. If you did the request for the server you need to do the process again for the netscaler. If the netscaler is acts the same as a CAG you do not need an SSL cert on the XenDesktop server. You need it on the Netscaler.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shot in the dark, do they both have the same Hyperthreading settings enabled/disabled in BIOS?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cthulhuite posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn't find a dedicated Citrix thread;

I'm trying to setup the Citrix Receiver on my local machine to look for more than one Endpoint, or to attempt a connection on multiple Endpoints. Right now, we have an issue with outages on one ISP, and I want for the Citrix Receiver to see that it can't access that specific server and try another instead.

Is there any way to do this? I've done some research and looked into some registry settings, but none of them suit my needs.

This is a bit beyond my knowledge and something that has changed a lot over the years, but I don't think you want to be doing this on the local side. The Citrix Receiver shouldn't be looking at a specific XenApp server. It would be looking at a specific CAG / WI. Do you administer this Citrix farm or are you a user?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The proper way to do it is with a CAG/WI. If it is all local or over a VPN / private WAN you can get away with just the WI. What would happen in this instance is the session would go down if XA01 went down, but would then reconnect a new session to XA02.

What version of XenApp are you running? There is an older version of the "Citrix Receiver" called XenAppHosted or any of the older versions that contained Program Neighborhood that would do what you want. If you can't find a version of the older client with Custom ICA Connections allowed, let me know and I can get it to you.

But yeah, a WI isn't "rejigging the whole system" and is the better long term solution.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, escalate with both VMware and NetApp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Take a look at some of the lower end Equallogic stuff. They work great for the types of situations you are talking about.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For XenDesktop they have an Express trial that is basically just everything pre-configured and good for 10 users. Citrix stuff can be a pain to set up but once it is running properly you should have very little day to day problems. The hardest part is managing user profiles and setting that up properly, and that is the same with any VDI or virtual application deployment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

Are there any tools to check to see if a datastore is actively in use, or if any powered off VMs rely on that datastore?

Using RVTools, the vDatastore tab is showing 0 VMs, but there seems to be orphaned snapshots that are stored there. I don't think I will have a problem deleting them, but just wondering if there is any other official way of verifying this.

I don't know of any tools, but there are console commands. Unfortunately, I do not do it often enough to know them off the top of my head.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

Alright, so apparently our licensing was done back in VMWare ESX 3.5 days, and our 2 vSphere standard licenses have been long since paid for. We're just paying yearly maintenance fees for upgrades, so licenses for vSphere 4 and 5 came with the maintenance/support contract. We've just never used them until now. I'm not sure if the whole Essentials Plus thing wasn't available then, or what.

It sounds like just adding vCenter Server is going to be rather expensive, and Essentials Plus is half that but still expensive unless there's some way to convert our current licenses to Essentials Plus? What's the best way to talk about licensing? Should we just straight up call VMWare, or are there better people to call that will help us get what we need, without getting us to buy more than that?

Both my boss and I are lost on this licensing thing and we're not sure the best way to go about trying to fix it. VMWare's website is awful.

Just call VMware's Sales department and they will sort you out. Either put you in touch with someone in direct sales or point you to a 3rd party reseller.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Some stuff like Exchange and SQL can be better to replicate at the application level, but yeah, most of our stuff is all SAN-level replication with a few virtual hosts on the other side.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You should be able to make a RAID array like normal, create several volumes, then present those to ESX. I think. I've never actually done it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Naes posted:

Can anyone comment on how well a virtual machine can handle 3d games (diablo 3, dota 2, etc)?

I realize that playing games is not really the aim of virtualization but wondering how well it work assuming I gave the virtual machine enough power.

Let me start off by saying that this is an awful terrible idea. But, you asked -

I don't know about Hyper-V or VMware View but it should technically be possible on XenDesktop as it has the ability to assign/share a GPU to a virtual session. Assuming you gave it enough bandwidth. I'm sure VMware View is working on the same thing, if they don't have the feature already.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is how most mac users play games from my understanding v0v.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood the question. I assumed he was talking about connecting to a remote virtual machine, not running something like VMware Fusion. Yes, some people using Macs do that. Most use Bootcamp, though. Less of a headache in the long run.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Swink posted:

Short question about a 'best practice' for my scenario.

We have two vshpere hosts, with a vcenter server running on one of them. If the server that is hosting vsphere goes down, I lose HA and the ability to vmotion our VMs on to the other host, correct?

If that is the case, what will I do if that host does in fact go down, taking vcenter with it?

edit - the point being I would want to get the production servers up and running as soon as I could.

Yes, that would all happen. If it goes down you use the vsphere client to log in directly to the host and boot the VM back up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't heard of anyone using a Drobo in production. I would look at Synology or something a little more business oriented. The only problem with that kind of stuff is that there is no HA at all. Single controller, single power supply. I would check the Storage thread for more info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Guesticles posted:

This might a question for the windows enterprise thread but I figured I'd try hear first.

First things first: I don't control our domain or network, and any changes to those are perhaps not likely to happen.

I'm having trouble with Citrix/Microsoft VDI. I've troubleshot the thing to hell, and here's what I got out of it.
Our AD environment operates DHCP in a split scope. Our domain is dm.contoso.com, but DDNS/DNS integrates a separate namespace, subdomain.contoso.com. So the FQDNs for my host would be HOSTNAME.dhcp.subdomain.contoso.com but when I try to set up citrix/microsoft, even when I put in the FQDN for my VDI host, it looks for HOSTNAME.dm.contoso.com

I've updated the primary DNS suffix so HOSTNAME.dhcp.subdomain.contoso.com shows up in Active directory, and altered the SPN records so there's no reference to anything dm.contoso.com, but it still keeps trying to add HOSTNAME.dm.contoso.com

I'm out of ideas, and google's failing me.

I think I saw your post in another thread, or at least someone else had a very similar problem. I kept meaning to respond but I forgot.

First let me say that what you are doing is nothing I've ever had any experience with and that many subdomains on a LAN scare me. :v

But where exactly are you running into an issue? You said on your VDI host? vSphere / Hyper-V / XenServer? Where during the setup are you running into the problem? You are not going into a whole lot of detail on that front.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only thing I will give 2 vCPUs on without doing metrics first is Terminal Servers / XenApp servers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Even with the AD VM going down, it's not really the end of the world. Like the others said, you just need to either a) have it boot back up first or b) know what host it is on and make sure you can log in locally to boot it up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm going to disagree. Unless your title is Storage Admin, you probably do not need to know that nitty gritty.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I think Vmotion is getting lumped in with Management traffic, or FT, I don't remember which. I made the plan in my head 2 months ago, and then pretty quickly the boss' boss said "nope, gonna be years before we do that" and now today he's ready to start looking at it. So I gotta kinda scramble to remember what I did last time.

Just speaking from experience and don't mean to sound preachy, but those types of projects are the worst and always bite you in the rear end. Double and triple check your plans. Before when you were researching it you probably weren't super careful because it was a pipe dream, but now you get given the green light and you may look back at your notes and think everything is perfect, and chances are you'd be wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Citrix has some really nice stuff once you get it configured and working, but it can be a pain to get to that point. Their stuff is always full of weird bugs and things where you have to hold your tongue just right to get it to work. I have been using their products for quite a while, and have experience with XenServer / XenApp / XenDesktop and a lot of their supporting products and technologies. I can probably answer at least some of your questions. I think for VDI, they have the better solution over VMware. The biggest gotchas I have seen when dealing with XenApp or XenDesktop seem to be profile management and printing. If you do a lot of soft-client VoIP or video conferencing, that could also cause some stress.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

VDI deployments are the devil for CPU contention, I run about 4 USC C240's 64GB/2 x6 intel Xeons(can't remember the model number) I normally see CPU at 50-85% during peak hours. Doing a 400 VDI deploy across 4 hosts with 4cpus/32 cores per host, I expect heavy CPU loads, however I am glad that VMware has memory dedupe and vSphere 5 Desktop license has no ram limits.

No if you're publishing apps to the desktops with XenApp. :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anytime you are dealing with virtualizing the user's workspace, it depends on the apps. That is the single most important question. You need to take a good look at the apps and how they use them.

With the limited amount of information that we have, it sounds to me like TS/RDS is your best bet.

Are they going to be connecting from outside of the network? Working remotely, etc?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How are you guys going to handle the mix of Office Suites and licensing? Also keep in mind if those are OEM licenses of Windows XP you cannot just virtualize them for VDI.

From what you have said I'd probably go about it by making those two servers virtualization hosts and then put TS/RDS servers on top. I use Citrix and have never worked with the base TS/RDS, so I can't offer a whole lot of advice there. I would enable Desktop Experience and just publish a desktop for each user.

Are you planning on using those disks as file storage? If those are only virtualization hosts you should be fine as long as you are giving the servers enough memory.

[Edit: Any sort of sizing guide will be fairly useless as it all depends on the apps.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mausi posted:

I'm still retiring ESX3.x hosts, you're not alone good sir.

Our VMware hosts are at ESX 3.5. We are migrating them over to our XenServer farm since we already use that for our Citrix infrastructure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So, my VMware infrastructure is stuck at ESX3.5 Update 5 and I need to get up to speed quick. Does anyone have any tips on some light reading?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

*looks over at his virtualized file server*

It's fine. The P2V for just an OS drive generally only takes a couple of hours at most.

EDIT: it's a fileserver though so I'm not sure why you are even bothering with a p2v?

I agree. The best way I've found to handle a large file server is to create a new virtual server, do a one-way file sync until everything is synced up. Schedule some downtime and deny access to the files to users, do a final sync, then shut down the old server and rename the new one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Tiny fans are loud as gently caress.

Agreeing with this. Sitting in my office at home with a 1u server buzzing away next to me sounds awful. There is a reason most desktops have transitioned to 120/180mm case fans.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

With XenDesktop it should just work out of the box. You should not need to make changes to the image like pre installing a monitor. Sounds like a thin client issue or a Citrix configuration issue. What happens if you connect using a Windows machine with 2 monitors?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

XenDesktop is better than VMware View anyways. I've used XenServer quite a bit. It's really very similar to ESXi, although I haven't touched a newer vSphere install. I'm curious as to why people have problems with it. Does the job well enough, and even the free version has "vMotion", unlike ESXi.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wizzle posted:

Citrix XenServer Advanced Edition runs $1,000 per host MSRP ($800 if you beat up your reseller). Spend the difference between Xen and VMWare on a really cheap SAN (Like a Dell PowerVault) or a really expensive NAS.

Unless something has changed recently the free version of XenServer also allows for live migration on shared storage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

szlevi posted:

Does it? When v6 was debuting live migration was still a payware feature...

I've never known the XenServer free version to not include "XenMotion".

http://www.citrix.com/products/xenserver/features/editions.html?ntref=next

Corvettefisher posted:

Hyper-V is a really great option too. I don't know all of it but it is pretty good for small enviroments

I'd agree with you if I didn't just spend the last 4 hours dealing with rebooting two different Hyper-V hosts because they completely stopped responding to all management (console, RDP, RPC calls, and in one case pings). XenServer or VMware would be 1 quick command and no moving guests or downtime in the case of no shared storage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

Like I said, I don't know too much about it. I though 2012 resolved a bunch of stability issues.

E: I'll do further research prior to posting about it.

2012 may be better. I know now it is a separate install. And the hosts I was talking about, the client used a standard Windows 2008 r2 install instead of Core. :downs:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But if you are overcommited 5 to 1 because each one of your virtual servers has the same number of vCPUs as your processors have cores... that may be a problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As long as you realize it is a vague question, I would personally suggest Equallogic. Especially if you don't have anyone with a ton of storage experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Then I can't recommend Equallogic enough and I can't say enough bad things about EMC.