Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not really. Citrix and the like allow for way more customization.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/performance-tuning/role/remote-desktop/session-hosts

You can try disabling the bitmapcache, but I will say I've never done that and don't know what the ramifications will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think I found it. In the Group Policy editor in the VM, RDS -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Remote Session Environment -> Configure RemoteFX Adaptive Graphics to Lossless.

I mean, I'm using RDP over VMBus, either via VMConnect or a carefully crafted .rdp file, so I couldn't care less about compression.

--edit:
Heh, it even stutters less in lossless mode.

drat, my bad for giving you wrong info. I did not see that in my search.

namlosh posted:

This may be dumb, but would this affect anything with the client-side Citrix receiver software? That’s how I log into work and it has some annoying issues but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of configuration i can do.

Wait, I just realized that was on the host side, which I probably can’t change. Oh well... I’ll leave it here in case anyone has any ideas

A lot of RDS settings apply to Citrix as well, but Citrix also has a bunch of settings that can be configured on the server side.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's Hyper-V.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know anything about Promox, but I was looking at it when it was mentioned earlier and it seems like they have a backup server as well.

https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-backup-server

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Technically, you could do it without a VM. Nothing says you can't run two apps at the same time. I think your biggest hurdle might be separating inputs. Hard to tell something to use a keyboard in one app but not another. Same with mouse or controllers. Maybe someone else can think of a way.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have a Synology NAS that I run some containers on. I just really don't need a home lab these days.

Do I need to hand in my nerd card? Am I getting old?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like the more I learn about vNUMA the less I understand it. That being said, I generally don't factor in logical cores when doing NUMA planning. Going that route, you'd have 2x 10 physical cores to work with. I think given that constraint, you might find things running better with 4 vCPU. Now, that just may not be enough for the users on those servers. In that case, I would say it's time to move off hosts with CPUs from 2014.

Definitely appreciate all the information you provided, though. I've done a lot of Citrix performance tuning over my life and I feel like I am still constantly trying to get engineers to appreciate vNUMA in their designs.

It's very clear that for your end users though, they are having a rough time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think 40 GB of memory assigned will cause a problem with vNUMA for those hosts. The rule of thumb that I use for myself is total memory / total processors before I start getting worried about memory.

I think CPU Ready Average % already accounts for each vCPU and while I agree VMware recommends under 5%, to me I would feel much better if I was not close to 5%.

For me, one of the biggest metrics I take into account when I am looking at things is Co-Stop. It can sometimes be hard to pin down the cause, but to me Co-Stop should be as close to 0 as it can be. This can be vCPU overcomit, it can be storage issues, it can be snapshot issues.

I'm curious, how many users do you have on each of those Citrix hosts? Are you doing any in-guest / user session monitoring?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why would you want thick eager zero in 2021?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I could tell some loving stories about XenServer breaking poo poo though, whoooo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like was said WSL uses Hyper-V and likely created a bridged network adapter. VMware does the same. I haven't run into what you're talking about, but my bet is that the WSL changed network bridge settings that messed up the VMware network adapter's networking. If you do some Googling around that I suspect you'll find something. The suggestion I have off the top of my head would be to uninstall and reinstall VMware. Might break WSL networking, might not. But I imagine it would fix VMware networking.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It shouldn't do that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, RVTools.
https://www.robware.net/rvtools/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes. Old UI, but should be fairly similar.
https://www.yellow-bricks.com/2018/03/28/disable-drs-for-a-vm/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That's still at the cluster level though and requires that the VM already exist. I'm deploying new VMs with Packer using the vsphere-iso builder which doesn't exactly give you options to mess with things in the environment other than the VM it is deploying.

Packer creates the .flp file on the fly and uploads it to the same datastore as the VM so it's already on shared storage. From what I observed the floppy image isn't being unmounted but rather the floppy drive is being disconnected from the VM when it vMotions. As part of the build Packer also mounts two ISOs to the VM on separate CD-ROM drives and those are unaffected by the vMotion.

Again that would require configuration at the cluster level and can't be done prior to the creation of the VM. I'd really like to avoid having to orchestrate something alongside Packer to do this.

Maybe I should just figure out what's going on with DRS. I've seen it vMotion a new VM three times in the space of two minutes basically immediately after the VM was created. Surely that shouldn't happen as Packer is just pointing at the cluster and relying on DRS initial placement to choose a host. Perhaps that initial placement recommendation from DRS is cooked?

Sorry, I was just answering your question of can it be done and showing the setting. I assume there's a property for that that can be set during your deployment, but I don't have time to look into it now. I'm sure someone else has run into this problem before and figured out a solution.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

XCP/Xenserver/KVM/Etc all sitting right there.

Look, you can't make me use Xenserver again. I won't do it.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My boss is pushing me to look at Cohesity. Anyone have experience with it? I don't trust small POCs when our big picture is several thousand VMs to back up.

I use it. It works fairly well, just make sure your sizing is correct. Just VMs, or other workloads like SQL, Exchange, etc? Replicating to another unit? To the cloud? I ran into the fact that I can't go cluster -> cluster -> cloud, and it makes me sad.

What are you using today?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We've got some Veeam but not enough for everything. The hacks we're using for the guests that don't get Veeam licenses allocated don't bear close inspection. Or distant inspection. Like, if I was a Klingon, they'd be a slight on the honor of my family. I wanted to just buff up Veeam but the boss wants us to look at other options.

I prefer Cohesity over Veeam, I will say that.

CommieGIR posted:

I use XCP-NG and it works like treat. :shrug:

I haven't used XenServer since before it was opened sourced, and I don't know the differences with XCP-NG, but my bad experiences with XenServer were enough for me not to care about it all these years later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess I don't mind VMware licensing turning into a subscription that includes support because I never had the desire to run old versions or without support. The real problem is that they are trying to squeeze out 3x the profit. Financialization is bad, folks. Who knew?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just wish they'd skip the BS and say "the old perpetual license structure failed to deliver the revenue required to please shareholders."

Edit:

Q: Why is this good for VMware customers?
A: It's not. We simply judge that you have no choice.

Because all we do is lie in this industry all of the time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Finally, XenServer's time to shine!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Finally, XenServer's time to shine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

End of an era. As far back as I can remember on these forums I recall you talking about cool VMware stuff. I wish you the absolute best.