Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Tape is still the best gig per buck for us for offsite storage. We are unironically going to use that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

bull3964 posted:

PowerConnect switches

Barf. Good luck with them man. We just had to forklift all ours out cause we hated them

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Whats the easiest way to clone a vm to a different remote cluster? I was going to use converter because I wanted to sysprep the machine before it booted and apply some different options but twice now Ive run the job and had it error out, maybe because the site I am running the conversion to only has a 10 meg pipe and I had to rate limit? I dunno. Anyways, is that the smartest way? Is there some other obvious method I am missing?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

madsushi posted:

No, VMware has won the hypervisor battle, and has owned the market for some time. XenDesktop has is winning the VDI battle, but it's not a blowout. The difference is that VMware is actively pushing View and wants to see their VDI market share expand, while XenServer is probably a loss-leader for Citrix to get their XenApp/Desktop in the door. They'd rather see XA/XD on ESXi than lose a sale by forcing the issue. VMware, on the other hand, doesn't want their stuff running on anything but VMware (in their ideal world). XenServer is Citrix' play to make their XA/XD solution cheaper/easier.

Absolutely. Higher tiers of Xd/Xa licensing actually include xenserver in the bundle

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I know we go over this from time to time, but would some of you guys mind posting what you use for your home lab setups? I am going to start putting together a lab since I am finally managing an environment bigger than 3 hosts and using a bit more than live migration and would really appreciate some ideas on what you all are using. Thanks

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

goobernoodles posted:

Looks like Veeam has the ability to recover files easily. The combination of Data Domains replicating Veeam backups to one-another seems like a pretty good basis for an adequate DR plan.

The automated failover of SRM looks nice, although not 100% necessary. It seems like it would kind of be a waste of storage and money, if I don't need the automated failover. SRM appears to require SAN to SAN replication which would eat up a lot of storage pretty quickly, even if the retention policy was relatively low, right? It would be nice if SRM could use compressed/deduped Veeam backups instead of just replicated SAN data.

SRM can leverage vsphere replication, though it will be nicer with SAN replication. Veeam is going to give you a lot of bang for your buck and will generally be able to give you replication and backup cheaper than SRM. Just need to be ready for it to act up now and again

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
We are really excited about vsan. We heard of the feature a while ago and have basically been trying to figure out how to do something similar ourselves.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

three posted:

It raises vCenter from a non-important management server to a critical service. Have problems with standard vSwitch and break things? Easy to fix. Have problems with dvSwitch and break things? Good luck if you're a novice.

They're making progress with later versions (e.g. 5.1+) with its auto-fixing behavior, but it's still more complex.

This is sort of the thought we had when we deployed our vsphere environment. We licensed the dvswitch but we kept asking ourselves what exactly we needed it for and no one could come up with a good answer. So we left it out

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Dan Dreams of Coding had a good quote on this a few weeks back.

Thats the dang truth. I got out of class last week and began studying in earnest for my VCP this week. It has essentially replaced everything else to become the primary thing I do outside work, besides kids and family of course. I would absolutely love to cert higher in Vmware one day because its what I am currently strongest in but I look at how crazy my life is and how much studying takes up and I have to sort of accept that VCP may be as far as I get. Even if its the highest level I obtain it will pair nicely with my CCNA and MCSE.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I just want to say that I installed the cloud to butt plus extension into Chrome this weekend and it has made this thread immensely more entertaining

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

angry armadillo posted:

Whilst I'm here, our company generally use Backup Exec- am I going to have nightmares with this and ESXi?

any info/advice/help/reading material/etc I will certainly be interested in...

No. Works fine. Its just not quite as easy as say Veeam or phd virtual and you are still going to have your occasional "Backup Exec stops working for no reason" incidents.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Sitting in the testing center waiting to go in to my VCP exam. I'll know if all this studying worked in about 2 hours

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Killed it with a 450! :hfive:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
vmxnet3 is the way for me

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

madsushi posted:

The new requirements are a pretty steep queue depth (256?) whereas AHCI maxes at 32. So it actually takes a reasonably good controller now. They had issues with people using cheap ones in prod.

One of the more famous was a reddit user reporting his prod environment being down for 12 plus hours from trying to sync to a new storage node

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Thats not a lot of spindles at all for a 3200i devoted to any sort of workload and they are slow spindles to boot. Are all the raid groups owned by the same SP? Do you even have multiple SPs in the chasis? What sort of workload are you putting it under? And are the extreme latencies seen all the time or under certain conditions. My gut tells me you should have just configured the thing as one huge raid group with a couple hot spares because this is probably where your latency is coming from.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Windows does not have it native.

Also rebuilding a Citrix VDI + vSphere environment is before lunch is TOTALLY going on my resume.

Right after the part where you upgraded a 25k customer SAN in 8 hours and then went to hooters? Did you do both in the same day and also fix the CSS on your business' home page while banging a hot chick?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I work with a very large Hyper-V installation. Multiple cluster.... over 1200 VMs. Its not going to blow anyone's skirt up but its a fine alternative to Vmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I'm assuming you have System Center? How are you backing up VMs and what do are you using for HA?

Yes we have system center. Backups are done with Netbackup. We don't back up whole VMs though. We only do application level backups. HA is taken care of via normal means. Everything is on shared storage and Hyper-V clusters.