Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Are you running virtual desktops? Could be updates all at the same time maybe? That's not a very high spike so it's probably something simple and normal.

This might be overkill for your organization but we just bought a license to http://www.vkernel.com. You can specifically have it send you reports for any large jumps in resources and lets you drill down really easily to see where it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
use openssl command line to convert it

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
also your key file shouldn't be the same cert, it should be the key from the machine you made the ssl request from

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Kerpal posted:

It's all on a local RAID. We have ESXi installed on RAID 1 with VM data stored on a RAID 5. Are you saying I can install ESXi 5.0 on a USB flash drive, boot off that with the host, and then add VMs residing on the local RAID to its inventory? That would be a great way to test it.

yes

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Employer is sending me on this fast track course and I sure as gently caress wouldn't pay that ridiculous amount for a vcp but since work is paying...

5 day week drinking in the sunshine downtown.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Guesticles posted:

I'm looking into it for a group that might end up using it for a 20 seat call center (out bound surveys), that sees varying levels of use. Primarily web based stuff, but IE is required for one of the web apps.

All of their desktops are up for replacement, so I'm going to suggest they funnel the $20-30K replacement cost into a decent server (or two), thin clients, and maybe have some left over so I can show cost savings like a boss.

Basically, I'm looking for any experience on the ground with VDI, and if someone would give me a double check if I'm forgetting anything. Or if what I'm thinking about doing is a terrible idea.

I know we need a VDA per client. If we have one for each client, am I correct in the understanding that's all the licensing we'd need as far as clients/VMs go?

Giving the environment (One instance of IE with about 5 tabs and an ActiveX plugin, everyone's standard user) I was thinking about virtualizing one 2008R2 instance. Would this be a bad idea?

And if anyone knows a thin client vendor with RDP 6 compatible models, I'm all ears.

*cough* use citrix and xendesktop *cough* *cough*

*COUGH* http://www.wyse.com/products/cloud-clients/zero-clients/Xenith *COUGH*

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Your windows admin must have been an incompetent boob because it really doesn't take any upkeep at all. We have about 400 users on xendesktops and as long as your hosts are properly equipped and reasonable expectations are given to the end users you're not going to have a problem.

Your users are not going to be able to run full screen 1080p videos from youtube but basic video and audio works fine. For some stupid activex application it will work absolutely fine.

Citrix has a lot of stupid little glitches but for a 20 person shop I wouldn't be hesitant to recommend it. Citrix as a company has also grown leaps and bounds from the old days. I still remember administering metaframe servers... Now those were pieces of poo poo. gently caress that.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Kachunkachunk posted:

If you virtualize all your DCs, you could consider ensuring that it's pinned to one or two boxes (via DRS rules). This helps you quickly locate them and start them up in the event of a datacenter outage. You can do the same with VC, really.

Now, for this handful of select ESX/ESXi boxes, you probably want to turn off AD authentication and rely on local, too.

Exactly. For this we do the same thing. ESXi servers all have local accounts, but authentication is done through vcenter and AD. Create multiple AD servers and pin them to different machines and if you're lucky enough to have an offsite backup esxi cluster then add some more there. Then create a hard DC.

Literally only have 2 hard machines and it's a dc at the backup datacenter and a local dc.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Wicaeed posted:

Wait so Essentials doesn't include vMotion? Haha gently caress that noise. Does it still allow you to one click-xfer offline vm's to another host?

yes. vMotion is the term for a live migration, not an offline migration. You have always been able to migrate offline machines.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

luminalflux posted:

How the hell do windows admins manage their daily work without drinking themselves to death is beyond me

all those things you did are extremely common things to look at and the fact you didn't read the documentation caused all of your problems, it's not a windows or unix problem.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Sounds like you missed a snapshot disk that it depends on. You should delete any snapshots you have of the machine before you copy the vmdk file.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You don't....

You shouldn't keep snapshots very long anyways. Why do you want to keep it?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
He said esxi4.1.

Consolidate any snapshots at the original location. Make sure the machine is shut down. Copy all files out of the machine folder and move to your new location. On the new esxi server browse the data store and find the vmx file. Right click and import.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

FISHMANPET posted:

See, this strikes me as a really bad idea. Those snapshots are there for some reason, perhaps the guy that runs the VMware setup at the company knows? Maybe gnarlix should ask that person? Maybe gnarlix should have that person complete this task?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1008885

See number 2 in the chart. Never keep multiple snapshots longer than 3 days. Consolidate everything when done.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1025279

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 3, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

FISHMANPET posted:

So I feel like a collosal idiot because I can't configure SSO in vSphere 5.1. What the hell am I supposed to be putting in these boxes? ldap://<domaincontroller>:389 doesn't work, it just says "Probing for connectivity failed" which isn't very useful. Are there no guides that say "this is exactly what you need to put in the boxes to make it work?"

E: gently caress me, it's because I guess my AD server doesn't allow anonymous binds, so it needs a username and password. Am I right in thinking that using my credentials would be a bad idea, and I should create an AD service account for this?

You always use service accounts....

Just create an ldap account with only read access and use it everywhere.

Corvettefisher posted:

Not to mention if SSO goes down, unavailable, or unresponsive it is really loving hard to manage your environment.

Just don't harden your esxi boxes and create multiple redundancies for Active Directory. It's not that difficult.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You don't specify an IP. Heartbeats happen over the management interface when you configure your host for HA.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What kind of OEM hardware is available to support that kind of config? Last I checked, the rack-mount Precision workstations came the closest and the biggest problem was most normal servers couldn't push enough power to the PCI-E bus to run the cards. Has that changed at all?

we're testing 5 of these http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/precision-r5500/pd to do passthru graphics on vmware + xendesktop combo. They come in next week so we'll see how good they do in testing but initial research has been promising at actually delivering near desktop experience.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Rhymenoserous posted:

Racking workstations as a VDI implementation. We have a few experts at that here :smug:

dont worry, our 250 user 4 machine cluster esxi vdi implementation works great, this is just for people who need catia and 3dworks and poo poo. tired of physical workstations at desks

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

adorai posted:

pretty much whether the random number generator is rolling in your favor.

I like this.

we took over a company running win 2000 and the converter was so hit and miss it's amazing.

I found clearing up old orphaned device drivers in device manager helped a lot, god i hope to have to never use converter on win2000 again

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Didn't they drop support for Win2000 P2V so you have to do it with an old version of converter?

yep

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
5.1. Make sure you setup SSO properly. Make sure your host profiles are up to date. Use update manager.

We just did a 10 host upgrade - 700vm's from 5 to 5.1 and it went fine. I dunno what everyone else is complaining about.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
don't use vdr, don't use the web interface

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
ESXi does have a built in firewall which would probably be sufficient as long as you lock it down. Is there no way you can get a cheap firewall anyways? Maybe an ASA5505 or similar?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Docjowles posted:

VMware also just put out a vCenter plugin to create and manage all your support requests, including automatically grabbing and anonymizing log files. Seems like the kind of thing that should have been created 4 years ago but better late than never.

Just installed this and it works great.

Thanks

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
scrub.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
8 cards, 8 slots on each, 2x32gb - 6x16gb on each card = 1280

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
oh yea x 3 machines.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

What processors are you using? Even our low-voltage Xeons start clocking in at at least 2ghz.

Would have to find the guy that bought these I'm not sure

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
x3850 x5.

There's the cpu too. xeon e7-4807

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

GrandMaster posted:

Who's gunna be the scrub when a host fails and takes out 700 VMs in one hit? :colbert:

I started building our new cluster yesterday - 16x Dell M620 2xE5-2670 / 256GB RAM
Customized ISO & kickstart scripts saved my life, the cluster was built in a day! Would rather gouge my eyes out than configure the same 20 portgroups on each host.

That's why there's 3 of those hosts kiddo.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-kits.html

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I've got a question that needs a solution.

We've currently got a bunch of hard boxes with USB modems hooked up to them for fax services. I would love to get rid of these machines and move it into our vm farm but I don't want to have usb modems plugged into specific vm hosts. Is there such a thing as a ethernet to modem 1u unit that I can put a bunch of phone lines into and then create some sort of virtual hardware to emulate a modem? Unfortunately these programs are so old that they require a modem of some sort installed on the server so a fax over ip service won't work.

Has anyone deployed any hardware to get rid of their modems? What would be the best way to do this?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
We are just starting a deployment of 300TB of nimble.

Nimble owns.

iSCSI owns.

gently caress nfs and emc and netapp and their bullshit.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
expansion shelves + scale out poo poo. Just got version 2 certified on all the arrays and installed yesterday.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I don't deny that I do tend to use iSCSI more for Server VM's but VDI on NFS is very very nice.

We do a 1000 head vdi on nimble. Works great as well.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

TheFace posted:

Got a random question and figured here is as good a place as any. I have a ESXi 4.1 host that is acting strange. The only alert is about unavailable space, which I know means I need to get into the console and clear out some logs (or find space somehow). Problem is SSH won't let me in (even though it was running, I stopped it when it didn't work and tried to start it again and it failed to start), and the console isn't letting me in either. I can't telnet to port 902 either (which would normally allow but tell me ssl required and not let me do anything).

When I shut down a VM it will no longer boot.

I am wondering, if I'm going to have to reboot the host? I don't have a configuration backup (I know I know) so if it's hosed on reboot it'll take some doing to get running again.

Just looking for some thoughts.

At the console press alt f1 and it will give you a terminal to run commands

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

mayodreams posted:

A lot of lag, slow console response, a lot of load on the host it was residing on. We have multiple datacenters at different locations, and it was becoming difficult to admin them. Moving to a physical with more ram and procs, and with fast local storage, helped out a lot. We are considering moving the DB to a physical too at some point. This is a 2008 R2 server with vCenter installed, not the appliance. We have around 400 or so VM's for reference.

Your problems sound like they're storage related.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Vcenter takes such little amounts of ram and cpu that if you are running into cpu and ram ballooning then you've got way bigger problems.

Storage! Storage! Storage!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
1000vm, 40+ hosts

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol I went and looked that up and it's basically a whitebox system. I configured one and by default it stuck in a bunch of slow 7200rpm disk.

So depending on how much money your company spent your storage probably sucks.

WHOS GONNA DISAGREE WITH ME NOW, HUH?! THATS RIGHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Run a benchmark of that thing I want to see!