Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
"but I know the mass storage is 7200k drives in a raid6."

Oh man oh man oh man. No wonder VM blames storage whenever someone phones in with vcenter problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
We bought solarwinds lem which can record all the event logs and store it in a database.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Martytoof posted:

Here's a (not so) small excerpt from my vmkernel.log. Definitely seems like there's something going on. Still working on interpreting it.

http://pastebin.com/5910mKX2

You have really high latency too. Which usually indicates an array issue. Too much IO or underpowered.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Haha if you think you're gonna get anything more from VMware other than "this is a storage issue talk to them"

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
He's right

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

evol262 posted:

Basically because non-accelerated NICs (e1000, rt8139, etc) clog up the system looking for interrupts and are less performant on guests. Not because they cause panics and break functionality. They shouldn't. File bugs if so

Uhhhhh

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2059053

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Geisladisk posted:

So, in relation to my previous post - I'm having serious performance issues on my Windows 7 VM. I tried to fix it by adding more cores (see above). That didn't work.

This is what process manager looks like a couple of minutes after startup. I started the computer, and did nothing except open process manager:

This is a minute or so of doing absolutely nothing. Right clicking on my desktop would bring CPU on all four cores to 70% for a second or two.

There's nothing out of the ordinary running. The other VMs on the host (10 of them) are running smoothly and are responsive while this is going on. The host machine (Ubuntu 14) is responsive while this is going on.

Any suggestions? :confused:

move to one core and see if it helps

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

evol262 posted:

"This is a known issue affecting..."
"This issue is resolved in:"

This is exactly how bug errata is worded. It's a bug, and it got fixed, probably because somebody reported issues.

Your point is what?

My point is that we ran into the same purple screen issues on multiple clusters on the latest 55u1 with all patches and moving totally off e1000 fixed it. It's not fixed.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
or you can just use the vnic that doesn't crash hosts.. hmm.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So who is using thinapp, view and workspace all integrated together and how's it working for you? We've started some preliminary testing to replace our xenapp with thinapp and this poo poo looks too good to be true. For only one app we can remove 40 xenapp servers and replace it with a couple file stores and stream a thinapp with better performance and easier management. What's the downside that I'm missing?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
They're almost the same thing. I realize you're moving the load to the client and off the server but we just did a massive 20k computer refresh so there's lots of processing power to be used outside of our datacenter. Why support a bunch of servers when you can support one thinapp and be done?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Also we used xenapp in the first place because status quo. Used to have old pc's, no processing power, started on metaframe 3 etc etc etc. Things are a changin. We will still continue to run a xenapp 7.5 environment for apps that can't be thinapped but so far everything we threw at it has passed preliminary testing with flying colours.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Thanks Ants posted:

Why were you even doing the whole VDI thing if you have real PC hardware on the clients and the ability to manage them effectively?

I work in wide healthcare so vdi is critical for patient care in doctors offices, unattached patient clinics, roaming users who don't have physical machines (students, nurses, etc)

We have a use case for almost everything

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Short answer is our desktop management is handled by a company that does multiple other healthcare providers within the same province and we all share resources. Unfortunately and fortunately that means giving up all control over app deployments desktop deployments software windows updates etc. however some of our critical healthcare software has update cycles every 3 weeks. To even begin to deploy software on client computers a project needs to start and money needs to be thrown at them and the timelines are around 8 to 9 weeks per update. Not feasible with what we need. We can have them install workspace to all the pc's and we control how often a thinapp gets updated, the icons are controlled by workspace as well. I don't know why you have such a hate for thinapp but I would love to know more details before we jump into this

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I never used Thinapp 3-4 years ago so I don't know what it was like. What did you find to be a pain to manage and troubleshoot?

I find it hard to believe that VMware is "giving up" on thinapp when they literally just released updates to view, workspace and thinapp to integrate the whole shebang together less than a month ago.

The primary driver behind this is Citrix printing issues and remote regions. We've had citrix printing issues for years whereas thinapp just seems to work with all our specialized apps we've tried. The remote regions are sometimes on 10Mb links with 40/50ms latency and citrix just isn't cutting it. Having a local "install" looks like it will fix these problems.

Workspace is pretty much just citrix storefront if they don't have the client installed. If they do (which all our machines will) it automatically adds desktop and start menu shortcuts.

What am I missing here man? How big is your org and how many users did you use it with? What specific problems were you having or having trouble doing?

We have very large teams for each application that do deep testing with any new platform and so far there's been no issues with thinapps at all. When we moved to 6.5 it was problems up the rear end constantly loving around with group policy, registry and profile settings to get it to work. Thinapp I just installed it and ran the post capture and it works.

Please go into more detail about your problems because I'm looking for any reason to not use this but using words like " 3 - 4 years ago " and vague things like it's a pain to manage and troubleshoot isn't specific enough. How was Metaframe 4.5 4 years ago? It was poo poo. Ask me how I know.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 2, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I also just did a quick setup of View RDSH which is exactly like XenApp... Looks good as well. This might pull us back from doing our 7.6 upgrade and start looking at going purely to VMware.

This is a nice summary comparing actual recent software versions http://stealthpuppy.com/xenapp-vs-horizon-view-rds/

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Will do. Most of your predictions in this thread over the last three years have been way off base anyways so I'll let you know how it goes.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
:) have fun demolishing apps you have no experience with

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

stupid things three has said posted:

Well, they've already basically killed the Windows client (new features are web client only), so I imagine the Windows server will go soon. They'd need to spend the next year fixing the VCSA as it exists now, though.

I would only use a dvSwitch if I planned on using the features specific to it (inbound traffic shaping, private VLANs, LACP, etc). I think they add unnecessary complexity otherwise.

All EUC/VDI stuff is buggy. VMware View is no better from a polish standpoint than Citrix.

I can guarantee most of you did things differently 6 years ago. Virtualization was still fairly new in 2008. Critiquing and/or using a 6 year old blog post is really dumb.

As he points out supposed flaws in thinapp from 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm three and can I help you move to Citrix TODAY?!?!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Why would I give a gently caress if it works in our use case. You must be the worst contractor and end up picking solutions without giving any thought to actual requirements for your customer. Based on your total generalizations and lack of understanding people must really love you.

DONT YOU SEE THESE RELEASE NOTES!~~!

PS I never said it would be a primary software distribution tool in like the second loving post. We do thick, xenapp, vdi, and more but you have such a fandom that you refuse to look at anything else unless you like it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

40 servers for one app, we have 130 more. Can't use Appv as also indicated in my previous posts explaining the situation

Meh. I'll give a real review on thinapp when we have finished.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Guy above me just install 2k12 and install ad and put on some users, bingo bango bongo.

Edit: Thinapp active directory and run that.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 4, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

three posted:

Try to find a reference case of any company successfully using ThinApp as their primary software distribution tool, or as a replacement for XenApp.

http://www.vmware.com/a/customers/product/9?sort=d&next=1

Hey look it's only the largest communications company in Canada using thinapp but gently caress me right?

"Currently, TELUS support provides access to more than 800 ThinApp applications via streaming from network shares. This gives offshore employees access to typical productivity tools such
as Microsoft Office, as well as unified communications products, including Microsoft Lync for enterprise instant messaging and Live Meeting and WebEx for video conferencing. ThinApp enables IT support to manage the user-profile data all as one team."

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

three posted:

That's via Horizon View. You wanted to do it to physical machines. Your opinion isn't going to change, so I'm not going to keep trying to tell you that ThinApp to physical is not a great solution given all of the options available. Go for it. It's your environment. I'm sure you can make it 'work'.

Maybe if you do a good job you can move to the actual IT team and not have to try to circumvent the operational rules with bad software.

Man, you are argumentative. Moving goalposts and all that. Physical, virtual. No drat difference. You ask for any company using thinapp in production, there's a clear as day example of 800 thinapps used in a 15billion a year company and you dismiss it.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Zero VGS posted:

I know my opinion isn't the popular one and I don't want to necro this debate again, but I've never seen Windows servers never manage the sheer uptime of running DHCP on say, Cisco switches. Plus you do need to get CALs when you serve off Windows. I do see the merits of both sides, I just sleep better with DHCP on something embedded. For the record, at this place I moved DHCP from a Win2003 Celeron onto to a pair of active-active Peplink Balance routers that are also bonding our three ISPs.

loving lollers. "Windows DHCP doesn't work well *turns off server 2003 on a celeron*"

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

bull3964 posted:

We're going to be changing up the network adapters in our VMWare hosts soon and I'm trying to clarify a few things relating to MTU.

We have jumbo frames enabled on our VMotion network and iSCSI network, but not for general virtual machine networks or management network.

Up until now, everything has had their own vSwitch since we were using 12 1gb adapters per host. All functions were segregated. We will be moving to 4x 10gb adapters so things will be sharing.

So, if I wanted Management, VMotion, and Virutal Machine traffic to be on the same vSwitch (sharing two of the 10gb adapters) then I would set the vSwitch to 9000 MTU, VMKernel Ports for VMotion to 9000 MTU, Management VMKernel ports to 1500 MTU, and the Virtual Machine Port groups will use whatever MTU the guest adapters in the virtual machines are configured with?

That last bit is what tripped me up since there is no MTU configuration option for the Virtual Machine Port Groups in VMWare, but I guess it makes sense that it's up to the guest's setting.

The virtual machines will use whatever you set them to in the guest OS. If you have your port group set to 1500 mtu and your guest os to 9000 mtu poo poo will not work.

Everything else you said looks good

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Have you tried this if you can't afford the vcenter

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel as the thread's resident Citrix guy I should have responded to this already. I'm feeling really guilty for having not have responded. Did you get this sorted? If not, I should be a leader to give you a hand. If I remember correctly all you rally need to do is rekey your cert on vCenter, export it, then import it on your DDCs, but it's been a few months.

Also, play around with Provisioning Server if you get the chance. It's kind of the red headed stepchild but it is quite awesome compared to Machine Creation Services.

Or just setup a proper pki infrastructure.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm upset with myself

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

adorai posted:

Somehow I doubt FC would have made this any better.

It absolutely wouldn't. Your storage sucks, doesn't matter what you use to connect to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't heard of this and couldn't find any evidence of it in a quick glance, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as I try to talk to Microsoft as little as possible. Are you sure that this isn't specifically VMDKs on NFS?

Every vendor will tell you that their way is the best way to do it. I am all for following best practices, but at some point knowing when not to follow best practices is where the value is.

Unless you are seriously pushing your hardware or have very specific design considerations, I would run SQL / Exchange / File Servers in a VMDK. The added flexibility and maintainability is well worth it. Being able to use snapshots and have them be consistent, being able to use storage vMotion, plus a bunch of other factors.

In a previous life I created a 20tb clustered file server and created a 15k mailbox 2013 exchange cluster across two data centers all on nimble and I didn't run any of it in vmdk. We still used snapshots and they were consistent when you initiate the snapshot from the nimble.

In a file server cluster or an exchange DAG you shouldn't be using storage vmotion at all. There are very valid reasons not to use vmdk's.