Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
We're a 100% Debian/Ubuntu shop and I've been tasked in trying out oVirt. There are no official packages for Debian and I really wanted to avoid installing RH or CentOS, so I tried building oVirt from scratch, following the documentation. It... didn't go well. Bunch of undocumented errors when running Maven tests and compiling, it was horrible. gently caress Java EE.

I think I'll go with Xen or OpenVZ. We already use OpenStack but were not really satisfied and ran into strange problems (like sudden permissions errors when trying to access disk images - tracking that down amongst the logs of all the separate modules was a pain in the rear end).

Senso fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

evol262 posted:

This isn't a Java problem. It's a Debian problem. But oVirt is KVM, and "Xen" is not an alternative to oVirt unless you mean Xen ButtPlatform or XenServer, which are comparable to what oVirt actually does. OpenVZ is also not an alternative unless you intent to put HyperVM or whatever openvz frontend isn't dead on top of it.

A community member put together Debian build instructions, but I've never tried them and can't vouch for them at all.

Yeah I know Xen/OpenVZ are not the same. I'm not setting this up so we can have an interface to spawn and destroy instances on the go. We kinda wanted the whole cluster setup but meh, we'll see.

Also, the Debian build instructions are useless, outdated and don't help.