Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

VeeamZIP: http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html#veeamzip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I actually like the web client, I mean it's poo poo in IE<any version> but works well in any modern chrome or firefox version

Counterpoint: no it doesn't. And in cases like these, bad anecdotes outweigh good anecdotes.

Number19 posted:

I'm a big fan of it randomly deciding to refresh the entire VM list and spend a long time "locating <vm>" which has nothing at all to do with what I was working on. Then when it's done it selects a completely different VM from the one I had selected and takes me to the Monitoring tab.

I am using Chrome on a machine with lots of RAM and an SSD and it's still Real Bad.
My favorite is that you can't open a console of a VM until it's powered on, and since powering on a VM causes a refresh of the whole list like you describe and makes the whole web client unusable for 10-15 seconds, there's no hope in seeing any errors that occur right at start up.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Number19 posted:

Well...you should be setting a 5 second BIOS boot delay to make sure you have time to intervene. I think I use 10 now because it's a lot more annoying to have to reboot the machine again to catch the error and/or press buttons.
Well, I don't actually have to do it that often, it's just a comment on how in the thick client I can open a console and then power the VM on and watch the whole process.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

1) Yes, it'll be fine.
2) The VM will get vCPUs equal to whatever you select for processors*cores. There's no difference if you select 2*1 or 1*2. The only purpose of that setting is for software in the guest VM that cares about sockets vs. cores (e.g. for licensing), or for wide VMs on big physical hosts where NUMA comes into play.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Correct, there's no performance impact. You can read more here. Basically those settings are more important in VMs more complicated than a 2-vCPU Windows 7 VM. For that case, there's no difference.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

How does EVO Rails compare to Dell VRTX? I have no use case for either, so I haven't looked into either.

Also EVO Rails is the dumbest name.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, a few of us use Veeam. Do you already have Veeam and you're trying to learn it? If you can't consolidate a VM because of a file lock, it's because the vmdk is also attached to the Veeam proxy that last backed it up for some dumb reason. That's the main problem you'll run into, and otherwise it's gotten a lot better than it used to be.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bitch Stewie posted:

What size are you?

'Bout a sixteen, sixteen and a half?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

That should be fine as long as you rescan the backup repository, but you really should open a support case with Veeam so that A) they can make sure it's done the right way and B) they are made aware of their software doing dumb things. Veeam has improved a lot in the past couple of years, but they can't keep improving unless they know what is wrong with their product.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hey, I never said they cared.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

1) Spend as little money as possible without my poo poo being so flakey/unauthorized that it costs us more money than I've saved, later down the line. That's the balance I'm trying to strike so that I can serve 300 call center grunts.
You're not striking that balance at all with used ebay poo poo and no support contracts. Your chance of downtime might be very small due to the redundancy, but that downtime will last weeks while you scramble to piece together more used hardware to replace whatever died and try to janitor it all back together. If you think you'll still have a job after 3 weeks of no phones because you saved your company a few grand, you're crazy.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but your whole MO has been to cut corners so excessively as to be building a huge technical debt to the point that it is going to come together in a perfect storm of disaster, and the only victim will be you. Stop being so cheap. You should be able to justify paying for some CALs and new hardware to management, and if you can't, then try to find another job.

mayodreams posted:

Deployed SexiLog and we are really happy with it. The only setup/config snag was it was not getting syslogs from the ESXi hosts because the outbound firewall rule for syslog is turned off by default.

Testing it today too. It's basically ELK with pre-defined ingest filters and dashboards. Pretty nice to get up and going quickly. What a stupid product name, though.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Wicaeed posted:

Someone posted a nice PowerCLI script that can automate the firewall setup/redirect of Syslog to the appliance here

Yes it's Reddit.

There's a VMware official version linked to by the SexiLog ( :rolleyes: ) docs: http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/07/log-insight-bulk-esxi-host-configuration-with-powercli.html

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is something I'd like to do but I'm pretty new at Linux.

Are there any detailed guides on this kind of thing that would help me through the process or am I just going to have to cowboy up and figure it out?

The steps are literally:
1) Deploy OVA
2) Make a DNS entry on your DNS server
3) Configure hosts in the vSphere client or PowerCLI
4) look at graphs

No linuxing involved, unlike ELK from scratch.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

stevewm posted:

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

No don't!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

along the way posted:

I want to setup a home lab for VMWare and I'm thinking of buying a small (120-240GB) OS drive in combination with either a 1TB SSD or 2-4TB HDD.

Will there be that much of a performance hit going with HDD over SSD?

This is strictly for learning, so I don't need it to be screaming fast but I don't want to severely gimp my setup either.

ESXi and not Workstation I assume? Install ESXi on a USB stick, use the small SSD as a fast tier, and the spinning disk as a slow tier. That'll get you thinking about vmdk layouts in general.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

"Subnetting is for people trying to look cool" may be the dumbest IT related statement I've ever heard, and I once had a director of IT infrastructure ask how much room in the budget we needed to purchase all of the virtual switches and virtual nics we would need to connect in our virtual servers.

You say this as if IT companies aren't known for charging for software features.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Do techs usually do the rack-and-stack? I don't know about other vendors, but EMC usually sends Unisys to do the lifting and cabling and then the techs show up later to push the buttons.

With Nimble, I had one guy from start to finish. He did everything from demoing, sizing, quoting, requoting, racking, and setup. This was only two 3U boxes though. The advantage of Nimble's simplicity is that the tech can be the sales guy and vice versa, and setup is ridiculously easy. This streamlines Nimble's side of things for sure.

Tab8715 posted:

EDIT - We discussed storage in the general IT thread a few months ago and I came out with asking how much more to SANs is there aside from the initial connection (SAS,iSCSI,etc) and provisioning LUNs. There was an overwhelming reply that there's a lot more and now I'm really confused.

Now that my Nimble array is set up, the only choices I have to make are block size and cache/no cache for each LUN. That's it, and for my needs, that's all I want because I have a lot of other things to focus on. There's a whole world of enterprise storage out there that is complicated and is way more involved than connection and provisioning, but Nimble isn't in that space. I'm not sure that any moron could work for Nimble, but DAF could handle racking and setup, and he is a moron. I'm not sure he could sell anything to anyone though. Nimble does have great techs answering support cases, but DAF is not a good communicator either.

Having said all that, Nimble sales/setup would be a decent job for a young person, so long as they didn't spend too long in that job. Nimble employees (at least sales) get their own array to play with at home.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

Lol come on, I've literally never heard of PernixData until now and their model of distributed cache over DAS on multiple hosts is entirely unscalable as your interconnect requirements will scale linearly with workload and exponentially with the number of hosts. Also you can throw as much money you want at storage but the bottleneck is always going to be interconnect and hey you can only install so many 10Gb quad-port adapters in a host :)

They certainly send me enough marketing emails. I'm sure they'd be happy to add you to their list.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

No the best feature of the web client is when you try to delete a VM from disk, and it says "are you sure you want to delete the selected VMs from disk?" but doesn't list it/them, so you look to the left to see what's selected but that panel has refreshed and isn't showing anything, or is scrolled to where you can't see the VM, and you just have to live on the edge and click yes and see what happens.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, the web client is pretty bad, but it's no Cisco ASDM.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You should not use consumer grade switches. You should not use just any enterprise switches, either. Storage traffic is demanding, and you need a managed switch that has large buffers and a large enough backplane. When you buy storage hardware, the vendor can make a recommendation, or in many cases can bundle the switches and cover the entire package in the support contract.

edit: unless this is for a home lab. Then you can do whatever.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

evol262 posted:

Ditto, honestly. It's a technical thread and contributing nothing but your dislike for someone's reply may as well not be a post.
You're doing nothing but being a dick for no reason. Your whole MO in every thread is to latch on to small throw-away or sarcastic comments, explain why that comment is wrong and why you're right and everyone but you is stupid, and fluff it up with 'HTH' and 'sorry not sorry.' Contributing nothing but your superiority complex may as well not be a post.

quote:

Does that mean we can talk about virt again instead of bitching about the web client for the umpteenth time?
I don't know, does it?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Question for Veeam users. Do any of you guys use the "SAN Direct" method of backup? For this to work you need to give a Windows box iSCSI access to your VMFS formatted LUNs. You even have to connect them so the disks show up in Disk Manager. You are supposed to turn auto-mount off so that Windows does not add a signature.

Our SAN vendor does not allow for read-only LUN access and giving a Windows box access to a VMFS volume gives me the heebeegeebees. All it would take is one wayward admin to mount those disks or some other automated process. Windows 2008 SP1 even required automount to be enabled to install.

Am I being overly paranoid? I know fixing the VMFS volume after Windows rights its signature isn't impossible... I'm just not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

I remember someone on these forums telling a story of someone doing exactly that - being 'helpful' and mounting disks on a Windows server that turned out to be attached for backup purposes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Other backup products like PHD Virtual can expose the snapshot to a guest through iSCSI so your filesystem support is basically unlimited, but I don't think Veeam has this feature. If you're mostly a Windows shop, this is largely irrelevant for you anyway.
Veeam can expose the VMDK and other VM files to the hypervisor via NFS, so you can actually spin the VM back up (isolated if necessary) to pull items out. Not sure if it has built-in support to attach the backed up VMDK to a running VM, but at least this serves to abstract away obscure file systems for item-level recovery.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Clear you cookies / temp cache. Bit me too and it's been mentioned a bunch of times in the thread. I guess VMware laid off their Web team as well. Can the last one out turn off the lights?

For sites where clearing cookies solves issues, I usually right-click -> open in incognito mode from the Google results. Works to bypass the Live login screen on msdn too.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Jesus christ is VMware support atrocious. Literally had to follow up a case with "please actually read what I wrote." There's like two support engineers left and they're in a hurry to do nothing but give KB articles that I've already addressed in my case notes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Before new exchanges implemented rules (or was it the SEC...can't remember) on placing enough fiber in your uplink to impose a minimum latency to the exchange, traders were successful only when they had literally the closest office.

That was IEX, who put 38 miles of fiber (on spools, in a box, mounted in a rack) between them and the entry point for traders. They're in Weehawken, and their longest trip length to another exchange in New York is 320 microseconds, so they added 350 microseconds of fiber to prevent people from taking advantage of pricing differences between exchanges.

Flash Boys is a bit sensationalist, but it's a good read.

edit: in other exchanges it's about the closest racks in the data center, not offices.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Is anyone using Veeam to backup to AWS storage? We're looking into the AWS storage gateway in VTL mode, just curious what kind of performance people have run into. I found a lot of talk online regarding it but not much in the way of first-hand experience.

Depending on your needs, it could be easier than that. We have a couple terabytes of offsite backups in AWS. We simply have an Windows EC2 instance set up as a Veeam proxy with an attached EBS volume to store the backups (snapshot the EBS volume on a schedule). It sits in a VPC connected with a VPN to the network where Veeam is. It works great, however our deltas for that subset of backups is only about 20GB/day (8GB across the wire after compression).

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Run a NAS on the same machine as a Hypervisor.
Why? Just present the drives to a VM running FreeNAS or whatever.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Can you save us a bunch of time and post this in manifesto format

Agile or Kaczynski?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

adorai posted:

of all the reasons to avoid ~the cloud~ "We know gently caress all about deploying that poo poo" is probably number 1. I hate fuckers who think ops should migrate to the cloud just because cloud. I get that developers love that poo poo because they can SD deploy poo poo, and that's cool, but jesus the loving buzz is killing me. Luckily my CIO knows what the gently caress.

This sounds like a Saturday night angry drunk post to me. I'm into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Terraform has a Docker provider. One Terraform configuration can spin up infrastructure locally or on any remote docker host on any provider. If you need better availability, Terraform also has a Kubernetes provider.

edit: Alternatively you can use docker-compose and then use the same .yml file against AWS ECS.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 7, 2017