Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jivjov posted:

So I should instead....do nothing? Just idly stand by as people literally threaten to put trans people in the hospital for needing to pee?

Yeah, maybe you're okay with complacency and just letting everyone else do the heavy lifting...but that's not me.

#straightallies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
EDIT:

Walking away from this thread and this argument before I get even more mad than I already am.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 22, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yes, exactly.

If the majority will not stand up in support of the minority, it's all for naught.

#straightallies, but this time bolded with garish gifs surrounding it

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

jivjov posted:

Yes, exactly.

If the majority will not stand up in support of the minority, it's all for naught.

We appreciate your noble sacrifice.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Maybe you could volunteer your time with a local LGBT rights organization. Or volunteer for your local Democrat campaign. I feel like those might have better results than Facebook fights, which I always figured was more of a hobby.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Alkydere posted:

Ted Cruz is a spiteful rear end in a top hat/half-melted goblin/smug turd (pick one, or two or all three as preferred)

I always preferred "simpering dough goblin" or "cabbage-patch man" myself.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I prefer booger eater :barf:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stroop There It Is posted:

The objections that I have to the way that some of you talk about our ideological opponents, which I have been trying to bring up recently, are summed up very well by this article: Vox: The smug style in American liberalism

The way forward in LGBT rights is not to demonize our opponents as they demonize us. It's not to call them idiots and show them sick memes and charts to prove that we are definitely correct and look how wrong they are. It's to give them a modicum of respect--even though we disagree with them--and listen to what they have to say. It's to engage with them and consider that maybe the way they feel is valid, even if it's not what we believe. If we want them to humanize us, we have to treat them as humans first.

This is it, the most American liberal post. It sums up everything wrong with American Liberalism while trying to sum up everything wrong with American Liberalism.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I will definitely demonize anybody who wants to wield the government as a weapon to punish a segment of the population for existing and trying to participate meaningfully and peacefully with our society. These people run within a spectrum of "petty rear end in a top hat" (your uncle who thinks marriage is ONE MAN ONE WOMAN, ADAM AND STEVE, etc) and "literal monster" (your other uncle who, as a teen, together with some cronies from his varsity team, followed some guys who walked out of a gay bar and beat them to death with a rock), and deserve to be marginalized.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Personally I'd rather get them to vote for gay rights instead.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Control Volume posted:

The ones that do come around, I'll be okay with. The ones that continue voting for and acting in favor of "religious freedom" to deny housing/work/services to people on the basis of their orientation or gender identity, though, I consider to be an unfortunate relic of a shittier history. This country, which supposedly prides itself on freedom, liberty, and individuality, is the fakest goddamn place on earth, and demonstrates again and again that its peoples' true values are conformity, spite, and ignorance.

We live in a nation that needs adult supervision. I'm just glad we currently have a SCOTUS that has been repeatedly reminding these people that their beliefs are hosed.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jesus christ dude you need to chill out and suck a dick or something.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Control Volume posted:

Jesus christ dude you need to chill out and suck a dick or something.

Going back to my last comment, if I made this kind of smug, dismissive comment in regards to the rights of some other minority group on here I would almost certainly be probated. There is a significant portion of the political opposition to gay rights that literally wants us to go to jail for "sucking a dick" so no, I'm not going to chill out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
EDIT:

Walking away from this thread and this argument before I get even more mad than I already am.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 22, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is it, the most American liberal post. It sums up everything wrong with American Liberalism while trying to sum up everything wrong with American Liberalism.

How many capitalists have you killed for the cause, comrade?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Going back to my last comment, if I made this kind of smug, dismissive comment in regards to the rights of some other minority group on here I would almost certainly be probated. There is a significant portion of the political opposition to gay rights that literally wants us to go to jail for "sucking a dick" so no, I'm not going to chill out.

ok well I tried, more dicks for me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

Yeah good luck with that. :jerkbag:

Edit:

If it was really that simple then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But sure, maybe you'll finally be the one person who turns out to be the Bigot Whisperer who can effortlessly change someone's mind with one simple argument or something.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 22, 2016

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I think I'm going to chill out and suck a dick.

The national Day of Silence was last week, and I've been looking for any signs of the mean-spirited backlash like there was last year. And I still can't find anything.

I don't know if it's the primary taking the wind out of everybody's sails, or what. I really expected the first Day of Silence after Obergefell to be a flashpoint. Instead, it seems no organizations gave anything more than lip service to counterprotests.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Well there is this but I'm not sure if anyone actually participates in it, funny website though.

http://www.dayofdialogue.com/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

jivjov posted:

Yes, exactly.

Dude no one cares what dank meme you shared on your facebook to "own" some girl you went to high school with. You're doing the bare minimum and acting like the LGBT community should be so grateful that you're taking a principled stand on the internet. You're like the textbook definition of a fairweather ally.

And before someone posts the :ironicat: or whatever, yes I smacktalk and post stupid poo poo on the internet. I don't act like I'm slaying the dragons of bigotry while doing so, however.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Yeah good luck with that. :jerkbag:

Edit:

If it was really that simple then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But sure, maybe you'll finally be the one person who turns out to be the Bigot Whisperer who can effortlessly change someone's mind with one simple argument or something.

Gay rights are as far along as they've ever been in american history and you're sitting here clutching your head going, "no. NO. its impossible to change minds. things are worse than they've ever been" but you know, that's not really a detriment to my activism so you do you and I'll do me and several other men at the same time

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

Gay rights are as far along as they've ever been in american history and you're sitting here clutching your head going, "no. NO. its impossible to change minds. things are worse than they've ever been" but you know, that's not really a detriment to my activism so you do you and I'll do me and several other men at the same time

I'm not saying "things are worse than they've ever been", I'm saying that your "Ima go out and change all the minds, brb" is just as helpful as the other guy's backpatting for 'being the majority standing up for the minority', i.e. not at all. And now I'm being unhelpful too, so now nobody is being helpful.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
You're dumb then.

If American opinion polls on gay marriage over the last 10 years is anything to go by, the IRL Bigot Whisperer is simple awareness that you already know one of "those people" and the world didn't end. The people that it's a complicated waltz with aren't the majority.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I'm not saying "things are worse than they've ever been", I'm saying that your "Ima go out and change all the minds, brb" is just as helpful as the other guy's backpatting for 'being the majority standing up for the minority', i.e. not at all. And now I'm being unhelpful too, so now nobody is being helpful.

Sorry I was conflating your position with the guys freaking out about how "politically aware" they are these days and how nothing's changing and how the world is a terrible, awful place, oh woe.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've changed I think one and a half minds though and that's an okay number in my book.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're dumb then.

If American opinion polls on gay marriage over the last 10 years is anything to go by, the IRL Bigot Whisperer is simple awareness that you already know one of "those people" and the world didn't end.

Right, exactly. It's no use arguing what the perfect tone for arguments are because no singular argument is going to magically transform someone from a rabid opponent to an active supporter. Being able to see for themselves that LGBT people actually are people is what will do that, gradually.

So I suppose that I'm kinda wrong and Control Volume is transforming hearts and minds by being an all around good person, who likes to suck dicks, IRL (and I have no reason to think he's not, dude seems like a cool guy), but not because of the tone of the arguments he makes. Tone arguments just seem like pointless mental masturbation, saying "I agree with you overall, but I'm simply better at saying it". Then again I'm doing the same thing, so what the gently caress do I know?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I think the thing to take away from this discussion is that you will not get support for how you choose to support the cause of your choice.

So just loving do it anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
EDIT:

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 22, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tone argument arguments have gotten sticky because the term "tone argument" has transcended its original roots of referring to a dumb argument about how people needed to be more polite and meek, to trying to justify calling people worthless pieces of poo poo who should kill themselves. Trying to figure out whether someone's defending forceful tone or just promoting histrionic bile is difficult, sometimes.

Anyways though flippant jokes are fun as h*ck but don't help anyone except your (the royal you - the dude from the big lebowski) humor so getting mad while making them is not a good idea

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jivjov posted:

I do not share "dank memes". And I've already pruned my friends list of all the bigots I went to highschool with. I don't expect gratitude, I just expect armchair quarterbacks on the internet to not tell me I'm doing it wrong by calling out idiocy and bigotry when I see it. I am not a "fairweather" ally. I literally almost lost my job over being an ally. I am not personally slaying any dragons. I am simply doing what little I can do.

So, if you're not going to be constructive, you're free to piss right off. I do not seek your approval, but I certainly do not need your condemnation.

Blingee gif of #straightallies

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

jivjov posted:

I do not share "dank memes". And I've already pruned my friends list of all the bigots I went to highschool with. I don't expect gratitude, I just expect armchair quarterbacks on the internet to not tell me I'm doing it wrong by calling out idiocy and bigotry when I see it. I am not a "fairweather" ally. I literally almost lost my job over being an ally. I am not personally slaying any dragons. I am simply doing what little I can do.

So, if you're not going to be constructive, you're free to piss right off. I do not seek your approval, but I certainly do not need your condemnation.

Thank you for your service, Internet Warrior Jivjov :patriot:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Doubling down had never worked before, but surely this time will be different!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the refusal to share dank memes is the largest crime in that entire post

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Control Volume posted:

the refusal to share dank memes is the largest crime in that entire post

bong fuel helps to make for dank memes :okpos:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So, to make sure we're all in the right place, what are the things people think people can do to help reduce LGBTQ bigotry? I know I brought up volunteering for organizations and getting dems elected, but what are other things that can be done?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Being a cool person, patience, burning down a city if a cop shoots someone for being gay.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Memes are powerful, and good ones that advance the glory of the homosexual agenda should be shared.

Also jivjov, I might suggest toughening up a little.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

MaxxBot posted:

Well there is this but I'm not sure if anyone actually participates in it, funny website though.

http://www.dayofdialogue.com/
This is so patronizing I feel like a kid again!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

So, to make sure we're all in the right place, what are the things people think people can do to help reduce LGBTQ bigotry? I know I brought up volunteering for organizations and getting dems elected, but what are other things that can be done?

Be a straight or gay parent with a kid in public school.
And be involved in the PTA and promote anti-bullying measures and programs.

And then - holy poo poo - be prepared for anti-gay organizations like the AFA to tell you that children being bullied and intimidated, whether they are gay or straight, is actually a moral boon to society.

And then, as an adult and parent, you're going to have to stand up and say, "nope, what the gently caress is wrong with you all?"

Basically, the internet is a place for information, but you've got to actually get out in physical places to make a difference. Simply being a warm body can be worth thousands upon thousands of dollars of donated hate money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RagnarokAngel posted:

How many capitalists have you killed for the cause, comrade?

Aw the standard deflection of the limpwristed liberal.

• Locked thread