Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Massachusetts-based cases against DOMA Section 3 (federal refusal to recognize same sex marriages) will be argued April 4th in the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals.

In the California based case (against DOMA, not Prop 8), Dept. of Justice has asked for an 11 judge en banc review from the 9th Circuit. Rather than going the slow route (3 judge judge->11 judge panel->SCOTUS) with arguments relying on High Tech Gays vs. DISCO (the most amazingly named case ever) which is kind of outdated in light of Romer and Lawrence they want the 9th Circuit to "directly consider afresh whether, as the government argues, heightened scrutiny applies to classifications based on sexual orientation".

I don't know if they'll speed the process along but we'll surely win because there's no legitimate state interest in refusing federal recognition.

And in related DOMA news

quote:

Ever since House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) signed on last year to defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in court, it's been a mystery trying to figure out where, exactly, he was getting the taxpayer funds to pay for it.

But those numbers became clear Tuesday as lawmakers sparred over the point, and the costs, of the House hiring outside attorneys to defend the federal ban on gay marriage at a time when money is tight and when various courts -- but not the U.S. Supreme Court -- have ruled that the law is unconstitutional.

Boehner so far has collected $742,000 to defend DOMA, and that money was skimmed from funds that would normally go toward House officer and employee salaries, Chief Administrative Officer Dan Strodel told members of a House Appropriations subcommittee. Strodel said none of that money came out of the budget of the Justice Department, which dropped its defense of DOMA in February 2011 after Attorney General Eric Holder determined it to be unconstitutional. Boehner, in his authority as speaker, has been defending the law on behalf of the federal government ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of equal rights for all:

Meet the two newest ads for Prop 5 in Anchorage Alaska

John owns a gay bar and hires gays..."

TRANSGENDER DAYCARE WORKERS!!!!

WOMENS LOCKEROOMS FOR DUDES!

I thought the Pete Hoekstra ad was bad but these are reprehensible.

Why is Anchorage so upset?

quote:

Prop 5 is a proposed ordinance to extend anti-discrimination legal protections to gay and transgender citizens

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tea Party speaker shows his "tolerance"

quote:

Reports from attendees were that in response to disturbances by protestors, one of the speakers said from the podium, broadcast across the loud speakers at the Commons, "We will not be silenced by faggots."

It is always nice when their honest homophobia comes out and we see the true hate in their heart.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 16, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is good there is still some semblance of sanity as this is a big loss for bigots

quote:

A controversial bill in Tennessee meant to restrict public school discussion of sexuality and LGBT issues is set to die without a vote after the key GOP sponsor announced on Monday that he simply wouldn't bring it up.

"With that assurance and the opposition of some people who didn't want to vote on it, I've decided simply not to bring it up," Republican sponsor state Rep. Joey Hensley said, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel.

The legislation, which had earlier been approved by a state House committee, was straightforward in its wording.

"[N]o public elementary or middle school shall provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality," it read.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CO House finance committee passed civil unions.
On to appropriations Monday and a floor vote Tuesday I guess.

...and then the referendum to block the law.
Progress is slow and boring.

Dobson and Focus on a Family must be seething that such a thing would happen.

EDIT

quote:

Please write a letter using the content provided or your own, urging your representatives to not vote for SB2!

Your help is needed to protect one-man, one-woman marriage in Colorado!

A bill to redefine marriage in Colorado through civil unions could be heard in the full House of Representatives as soon as Tuesday. The House Judiciary committee approved SB 2 Thursday night and it now goes to two other committees – Finance and Appropriations – before the full House. If it reaches the House, passage is likely.

It’s urgent that you contact your member of the House of Representatives and ask him/her to vote against this bill, SB 2.

Many Coloradans who voted for the state’s marriage amendment in 2006 defining marriage as one-man and one-woman do not realize that civil unions threaten that definition. And here’s why:

The pattern from other states is that the passage of civil unions (or similar legislation creating a look-alike to marriage) ushers in court-ordered same-sex marriage. Based on this strategy, if homosexual activists are successful in passing civil unions in Colorado, the next step will be a lawsuit challenging the state’s marriage amendment.

This happened in California where the cost of defending its marriage amendment is upward of $10 million and that price tag will go higher as the court challenge continues. So Colorado voters will face an expensive legal battle to protect marriage if civil unions pass.

In addition, Colorado already has one of the most expansive laws in the nation giving rights to unmarried couples so this measure is not needed.

If you care about preserving one-man, one-woman marriage, please contact your members of the House of Representatives today!

Take Action:
Due to the short amount of time left in the session we are asking that you contact your state representative and ask him/her to vote “No” on SB 2 using this form. And we thank you in advance for your help in defeating this legislation.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Colorado civil union bill goes to the House appropriations committee some time after 4:30ET today.
Governor "believes today is a historic day" so it should either pass and get a floor vote or he'll call a special session.

Today is also election day in North Carolina. Vote AGAINST Amendment One. Polls close at 7:30 so you still have time if you live there. :unsmith:

I hope the latest polls are wrong about the NC vote. I would love for equality to have two big victories in a row.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh FoxNews

Yes a WAR

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wow Rand Paul

quote:

At the Iowa Faith & Freedom event, Paul mocked President Obama’s remark that his view on marriage was evolving. “Call me cynical, but I didn’t think his views on marriage could get any gayer,” he said.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

DOMA just got ruled unconstitutional in an NYCLU/ACLU case in Windsor! Trying to find a source, but for now, here's the NYCLU twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/nyclu

Tweet: https://twitter.com/nyclu/status/210483678634184704

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/federal-court-in-new-york-rules-doma-unconstitutional

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Family Research Council releases a Documentary

The Problem with Same-Sex Marriage
This is fear mongering in its craziest forms.

Guy breaks down crying because he got thrown in prison for saying his son should not be taught about gays...I wish I was joking.

A lot of Former Homosexuals interviews

quote:

The Problem with Same-Sex "Marriage" is a documentary that shows in heartbreaking detail what happens when marriage is redefined. We follow the stories of David and Tonia Parker and Robb and Robin Wirthlin as their religious liberties run headlong into political correctness and pro-homosexual instruction in their public schools. This documentary will open your eyes to the pattern of intolerance and intimidation toward those espousing marriage as the union of one man and one woman. This documentary will also equip you to know your rights, and to make a difference in you community.

It is worth watching I think because it gives you a view into how hosed these people are and the desire to strike fear into the hearts of parents.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Minnesota looks bad.

KTSP/SurveyUSA 50-43 in favor of the amendment banning same sex marriage.
PPP 48-47 in favor.

Even in the closer poll, independents support the ban and the level of opposition from women (51%) and young people (50%) isn't nearly high enough to overcome the usual deficits among GOP and older voters.

Do you believe we will win Maryland, Washington and Maine? At voters value summit they are discussing these states and I have never wanted these assholes to lose more than now. Here is summary what they are saying.

Edit: they are talking about latest polls and they are scared big time in Maine ( we need to raise 2 million because our latest internal polls down by 10)

Washington (" people support same sex marriage to prove they don't hate gays")

Maryland( We will lose if we do not become more active and engaged "there more of us than them")

Minnesota ( support holding strong but polls don't win elections)

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 15, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CNN takes on rear end in a top hat from National Association for the Research and Treatment of Homosexuality (NARTH)

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-brooke-baldwin-battles-reparative-therapist-who-believes-in-therapy-to-cure-homosexuality/

This is a fantastic video to know that CA Governor shut this poo poo down. They then throw the APA at him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 1, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Take a trip to the farm

quote:

2 roosters can't make a chicken, 2 bulls can't make a cow. when God said love your brother, I don't think he meant like that. :D

The catchiest homophobic song ever

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Way to go Pennsylvania!

quote:

A Pennsylvania legislator has introduced a bill to ban sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) through counseling, just days after California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a similar bill into law.

“Homosexuality is not a disorder, so attempts to ‘convert’ the sexual orientation of anyone, particularly a minor, threatens the individual’s short- and long-term health and well-being,” said Rep. Babette Josephs (D-Philadelphia), who proposed H.B. 2691 on Oct. 5.

If passed, the bill would make it illegal for counselors in Pennsylvania to help minors with unwanted same-sex attractions. Brown signed the California bill on Sept. 30, which prohibits SOCE counseling for anyone under 18. A lawsuit is currently under way to keep it from taking effect.

First Cali and now PA, these are some good signs. Last month NJ also joined the plan to get rid of this poo poo.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The following ad showed up on my feed from the NOM called [b]Gay Marriage Offers Nothing to Society

Thankfully I found the following video that made my night. The video is Rev Phil Snider speaking at a Springfield council about an ordinance granting LGBT to be added to the non-discrimination clause

It is great to see someone of the faith stand up like that. The longer video is 45 minutes of the most whacked out citizens explaining why they do not want to be forced to hire gay people.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 20, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MSNBC just called MD!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is pretty cool

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kent_county/Rob-Bell-supports-same-sex-marriage

Rob Bell was a pastor at Mars Hill church and now is an author. Yesterday he became I think the biggest name supporter of same sex marriage in the Christian sphere

quote:

During the forum at Grace Cathedral, an Episcopal church, Bell was asked about his position on gay marriage, and responded by saying, "I am for marriage. I am for fidelity. I am for love, whether it's a man and woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man. I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs -- I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are."

Bell was also asked what he thought the future holds for the Evangelical Church.

"I think we are witnessing the death of a particular subculture that doesn't work. I think there is a very narrow, politically intertwined, culturally ghettoized, Evangelical subculture that was told 'we're gonna change the thing' and they haven't. And they actually have turned away lots of people. And I think that when you're in a part of a subculture that is dying, you make a lot more noise because it's very painful. You sort of die or you adapt. And if you adapt, it means you have to come face to face with some of the ways we've talked about God, which don't actually shape people into more loving, compassionate people. And we have supported policies and ways of viewing the world that are actually destructive. And we've done it in the name of God and we need to repent."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pohl posted:

Who is this legislator that is making sense?

Seriously! He dismantled this guys argument

Anti Gay marriage guy
"child marinated in love"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 22, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We don't want to spend money on gay domestic abuse

"they are throwing away books that support traditional marriage at schools"

shitthatdidnthappen.txt

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

tearing up as this teacher is tearing up

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh gently caress I have to talk to my kids?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nice job using your kid there for gently caress sake

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"If you jump off a bridge you will fall"

No poo poo

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I guess this is what happens when you give an open mic to someone

"You can't change marriage like you can't change the speed of light"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is the best ally testimony I've ever heard.

Seriously, I really hope someone is recording that

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has anyone noticed that when it comes to anti gay marriage and equality, gay men seem to be the only target or at least the first target. Is there a reason for this?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I loving hate my extended family

quote:

If most of my Facebook friends are going to support people who are gay by posting the red equal sign, I am going to post two feet, the feet represent the millions who never get to breathe the air of this world, who never feel love let alone get married, those who never have the chance to have children or go to school or do anything many gays are afforded the privilege to do. They are never given this chance because a human decides that their life is unimportant because of a defect or being an inopportune time for the person who conceived them. This is for the millions of children aborted yearly. Talk about rights being denied.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Saw on Facebook that Christians are claiming that the Supreme Court decision and court cases are because of Satan trying to take off the focus on Jesus this Easter

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am rarely ever left speechless but gently caress this is like looking into a time machine

The following were posted on NOM Facebook and their website by their organization (not a user..by the actual organization)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

France and Rhone Island in the same week! This is really really exciting news

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Alliance Defending Freedom decided to make a list of 10 reasons SSM affects your marriage:

quote:

1. Same-sex marriage reduces the worth of your marriage

Redefining marriage to include people of the same sex is a legal endorsement of the fungibility of a man and woman in marriage. To set “any two persons” on a par with a man and a woman in marriage is to reduce the worth of their roles. To draw an analogy, if a government declared the price of coal to be equivalent with the price of gold, would the cost of coal go up, or would the cost of gold come down? The price of gold would come down. Traditional marriage is the gold standard of marriage. People who affirm gay/lesbian marriage as equivalent in worth to the marriage of a husband and a wife devalue the worth of your marriage.

Purestrain gold

quote:

4. Same-sex marriage will absorb your marriage into a new view of reality

The basic argument for same-sex marriage states that there is no fundamental difference between the rights of gays/lesbians and heterosexuals to marry. Supporting the legal claim of “gender equality” is a view of human sexuality that erodes natural, gender-specific, differences between men and woman. The result is a “unisexual” view of personhood which, rather than affirm diversity, blurs it beyond recognition. The unisexual view of personhood is part of global move toward a hermaphroditic understanding of reality. According to this vision of things “all religions are equal” (unireligion); “all nations are equal” (one world order), etc. Ironically, diversity, the very thing secularism claims to champion, is what it destroys. Unity (two people becoming one) and diversity (a husband and a wife) are held in perfect balance in traditional marriage.

quote:

5. Same-sex marriage makes the concepts of husband and wife irrelevant in your marriage

When the California Supreme Court held In re Marriage Cases (2008) held that “California legislative and initiative measures limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples violate the state constitutional rights of same-sex couples and may not be used to preclude same-sex couples from marrying” (News Release 26, May 15, 2008, In re Marriage Cases, S147999), the court order decreed that all marriages would have the respective parties designated as “party A” and “party B.” That ruling was a result of the Court’s acknowledgement that it could afford by statute domestic partnerships all the rights and privileges of marriage but not labels similar to “husband” and “wife.” That left gays and lesbians free to refer to their relationships any way they wanted e.g., spouse-partner, life partner-significant other, wife-wife, husband-husband, or whatever! The fact is that words have meaning. The elevation of same-sex marriage to that of traditional marriage, combined with the use of random nomenclature to designate parties in same-sex marriage, absorbs and reduces time-honored roles of husbands and wives into a morass of meaningless linguistic jargon.

quote:

8. Same-sex marriage challenges the nature of your marriage

If marriage is a civil right for all, then what is to stop other types of non-traditional relationships? Why not permit incestuous and polygamous marriages? Why not allow marriages between adults and children? How about nuptials between people and animals? Will the age of tolerance permit Muslim men to take multiple wives while Muslim women are restricted to one husband? These horrific possibilities destroy the nature of marriage as a sacred union between a man and a woman.

Nice bit of Islamaphobia on top of bigotry

The list goes on with crazier ideas. It is too long to post each response but here are the other 6 reasons

2. Your marriage will be forced to abide by the social strictures of same-sex marriage

3. The rights of spouses to dissent same-sex marriage will be infringed

6. Same-sex marriage will obfuscate the state’s interests in your marriage

7. Same-sex marriage defeats the purpose of the state’s interest in benefiting your marriage

9. The redistribution of marriage rights modifies your marriage as a natural entity afforded legal recognition

10. The legal legitimization of same-sex marriage affects your status as a father or a mother

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Thank you for posting the other items on the list--I hate visiting sites like that and bumping their page views.

And man, it's a pity interracial marriage isn't the issue at stake, that "coal vs. gold" analogy would've been perfect for that!

Since there is more text I did not post, I uploaded the rest onto pastebin for you.

http://pastebin.com/LYAnnVzf

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

OOPS

quote:

One of the strongest opponents to equal marriage in France has admitted to ‘accidentally’ voting for the bill.

Henri Guaino, from opposition party UMP, voted for the bill on Tuesday in the final vote on the ‘Marriage for All’ bill.

‘There were three buttons flashing, and yes, I pressed the wrong button! I went to the services of the Assembly to correct my vote.’

Guaino was not alone in making the mistake, as other anti-gay politicians Luc Chatel, the former Education Minister, Alain Christian and Marianne Dubois also voted for the bill. No pro-gay MPs made a mistake in the final vote.

I wish this happened in the US

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is a big one

quote:

NBA center Jason Collins, a 34-year old journeyman, came out as gay in an op-ed in Sports Illustrated on Monday, becoming the first athlete in any of the major American leagues to do so while still an active player.

"I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport," Collins wrote. "But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins was never a star in the league, but played an important part in several elite New Jersey Nets squads in the early 2000s, including a starting role on the 2002-2003 team that went to the NBA Finals.

Previously, NBA player John Amaechi came out in 2007 and wrote a book about his experience, but only after he had retired from the league.

Collins mentions that he was inspired to go public with his sexuality in part due to his friendship with Rep. Joe Kennedy (D-MA):

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

I am not a sports watcher but this is a big step and hopefully will encourage more athletes to come out. I know NFL has a few players planning to come out as well.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Seems like the big focus this aliance defending freedom guy is that the bill would make adoption agencies have to give children to same sex couples..

"I can't disect a frog because of my beliefs"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"What if a black photographer is asked to take a picture of a klan rally"

what the gently caress

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"I love my daughter but that's not a marriage"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This guy needs to get hit by a bus

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Oh SHIIIIIIT He has a recording! He's about to blow the lid off this!!

These people are so hateable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Schwarbage posted:

:lol:

Shut the gently caress down. Awesome.

loving amazing

• Locked thread