Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The United States of America: Granting equal rights, piecemeal, over a period of decades :patriot:

But for seriously, I hope it just hits a tipping point of acceptance and starts to flow down like freedom water from the heavens.

I've literally never heard a logical reason for not granting gays full and equal rights to marriage. There isn't one. The stalling on this is sickening. It's just petulant children digging their heels into the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I think the thing that has come to bug me most about the religious sect chiming in on this issue is the fact they do so from this righteous minority that conjures up the idealized version of Christianity or Catholicism, where it is one man, and one woman joined in holy matrimony until death do they part. It doesn't fit anywhere into the real world, and they use it as a bludgeon against these poor gay people who just want to enjoy equal rights.

Lets get some demographics on the number of professed Catholics/Christians who have never cheated on their spouses, gotten a divorce, or otherwise violated the tenets of marriage that they purport to care about above all other things, these are the people who come from a righteous place that I can at least respect. The rest, they're voting for an ideal that is so divorced from reality, like they're championing how they want a fairy tale to end rather than anything that resembles the real world and the real people who inhabit it.

Toss out all the votes and opinions from the most flagrant hypocrites who have no claim to the issue, since they already made their stance known through their actions, then lets see how the numbers roll out, we can probably wrap this up in a couple years.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

breaklaw posted:

Anybody else think Obama might come out for marriage equality if he gets a second term? I think he might. Or at least something like not letting states ban civil unions. There's been rumors and hints and I think he'll do it.

I can see him supporting a constitutional measure to "one and done" the whole issue in his second term.

It's so lovely that the LGBT community has to have their rights suspended in the face of politics, but Obama is really their best shot for a decisive victory, so you just have to grin and bear it until the re-election, when it's "too late" and all the campaigning is done and it isn't a massive splinter issue that can cost him the general because of hateful bigoted poo poo heads.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
"The sanctity of marriage" thing never fails to crack me the gently caress up. I'd like to see people rally behind anti-divorce legislation to protect the sanctity of marriage oh wait straight people need those.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

CO civil union bill goes to finance committee today.
For a bill everyone believes can pass a floor vote this process is incredibly uncertain and secretive.

And no one has addressed the important question of "What about the babies?"

Someone far better than us has already addressed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvVnrV1tow

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Will someone declare a WAR ON HOMOSEXUALS w/r/t the candidate's polarized stances?

Oh nevermind we already got that one going since the dawn of western civilization.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just saw this and wanted to post, cause it's a great lil graphic

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I used to live in Philly, which is pretty liberal, but between Pittsburgh and Philly it's Pennsyltucky.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe this is a question more for a religion thread, but I don't see any around right now:

So Christians are all about Jesus right? I mean they're CHRISTians. So Jesus is New Testament. He came down in the sermon of the mount and he was all "this is the new poo poo, those ways are the old ways, and these are the new ways" and made a new covenant with man, then sealed that covenant in blood when he died on the cross.

So presumably, Christianity should just be "poo poo Jesus Said", and he never said anything about homosexuality, gays, or gays marrying. The most important bits were to love and worship the one true God above all others, fine, k, and then love thy neighbor as you love thyself. It doesn't say, "Unless your neighbor is gay", and most of the stuff you hear about anti-homosexuality comes from the Old Testament, Leviticus particularly, which is just a joke now, right?

Where does the sentiment come from that homosexuality is anti-Christian? Is it just perpetuated by the priests and preachers? From what I've heard the word on it is extremely sparse in the New Testament.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

So Colorado turned to poo poo.

Civil union bill somehow got sent to a 4th committee where the Republicans finally managed to kill it, including one with a gay son.
Ice cold!

Yeah. Sucks hard. I have no less than 4 gay people on my team at work who were cheering this on. Maybe next time guys :unsmith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Can't wait to see Pacman vs Mayweather, with John Waters, Elton John, and Ted Allen bringing Floyd's belts out.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
If there's one thing we need a whole lot more of, it's reproduction of the human race.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

SmuglyDismissed posted:

The best way to respond to the slippery slope is to reverse it. If we ban gay marriage, we will then move on to ban interracial marriage. Eventually we will ban all marriage and outlaw all human relationships!

I love it, slippery escalation.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

Most Americans would consider it socially acceptable for a 16 year old or 17 year old to marry someone who's a legal adult (especially if the older one is 20 or younger). And that's a marriage of minor and adult.

This is the nutty part though, considering what marriage is supposed to be. If I had to choose a favorite loving band for life when I was 16, I'd only be listening to KoRn albums today. How god damned terrible would that be, let alone a lifetime commitment to a person who is changing as much as you are, eughck.

"Shotgun" weddings between teens? A-OK. Two gay men in their early 30's with lots of life goals, plans, and a mature outlook? Boooooooooooo!!!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW4DXOAXF8U

This is just unbelievably amazing

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Day one of civil unions in Colorado. My Facebook feed had been great today, in a sincerely good way!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

quiggy posted:

Thanks so much :glomp:

I'm not expecting us to actually tie the knot any time soon but the option is there now. I'm so loving happy :D

This makes me wonder if gay marriage getting approved has led to some awkward moments between couples, where maybe one partner was just assuming that, hey only one hurdle to overcome and then we're getting hitched!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Why is this exact woman every horrible person that speaks out against equality and stuff?

It's like there's a factory somewhere that pops them out and sticks them into Town & Country's and sends them into the world.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ho hum, another lukewarm traditionalist appeal that can be hand waved away with any single example of historical shittiness you want to use.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The duplicity in his very remarks from one second to the next is loving astounding.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, this guy is getting really verklempt :unsmith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Some of my best friends are gay, take a shot

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Is there good noise or bad noise from the outside leaking in?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
What's with this microphone from a smoky police interrogation room from 1973

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Passed!!!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I wonder what my bi-weekly conversation with my father-in-law will be like this time around, hah. He's a Minnesotan and a true believer conservative, but not insane or in your face about it.

I have 0 idea if he'll even mention it or what he'll say about it if he does.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Sweeney Tom posted:

3 countries legalize it in the span of 2 weeks, and now 3 states are about to do the same in the span of under a month.

I know we're barely 5 months into the year, but is it safe to call 2013 a loving great year?

Great. It'll be loving great if SCOTUS has a treat for the country.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Generally speaking, can you bundle together one piece of legislation to amend the state Constitution to allow same sex marriage again and then pass it into law or does it have to be a 2 step process or what?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Best sign:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Speaking of officiants, it's funny how a scare tactic is WAIT UNTIL YOUR PASTOR IS FORCED TO GAY MARRY A COUPLE!, as if any gay couple would want to have a huge moment of their lives shat upon by "forcing" some bigot to preside over the ceremony. Sorry, no thanks. I'm sure for every abstainer there'll be a dozen people happy to marry a gay couple and make it a memorable moment.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ahahaha, that article is all the bullshit.

I love how he hand waves away the comparison of denying gay marriage to denying interracial marriage with the benefit of his placement in the world today, after decades of progressives having the idea of differences in races beaten out of society's consciousness with a hammer.

"Well the reason this is silly is that there's very little difference between a black man and a white man"

Uhh yeah, lets go see what people were saying about that in the 30's and 40's you tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

More Later posted:

So far civilization hasn't crumbled. I'm anxiously waiting.

Just wait, an oblivion gate is going to open any second

• Locked thread