Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we need to do an inception on the CEO of ampere and plant the idea of making a small chip for "edge deployments"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I finally finished my timelapse + camera remote shutter project and despite the case looking amateur as gently caress I'm content with it. It assembles easily, it's got a gopro mount, and it's as small as I could make it given the stuff I had to cram in there. Additional features are the camera module 3, a UPS and an RTC. The UPS so when I forget to shutdown before I turn my car off it won't lose power, and the RTC because precisely timing photos is kind of important when doing eclipses.

The big red button is to shut the system down immediately and the slider switch is to turn the UPS off/on. The LED is just for an additional blinky status as it can update a lot faster than the epaper.

The epaper even shows a snapshot from the camera so I can compose the image.

It's very much a form follows function build, everything is off center or stupid looking because that's the only place it would fit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eightysixed posted:

"The business is in a much better place than it was last time we looked at it"

Good thing the CEO of the Company literally states "since last time we looked at it."
That should be daily task #1, but okay :rolleyes:

the second “it” here is “the IPO process”, not “the business”

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm extremely skeptical of the raspberry pi IPO, what's the stated goal here? I need to look more into it, are they raising a bunch of capital with the plans to make many more products? Will more capital let them avoid the manufacturing problems they've had? Why public? It's going to make more work for them and if the core vision is to keep prices down for hobbyist computers, I just don't get how this helps.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

xzzy posted:

I finally finished my timelapse + camera remote shutter project

Hey that's fuckin neat! How do you take pictures with it? Do you need to program the intervals or is there another button to snapshot things?

Also what kind of UPS are you using for it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Hey that's fuckin neat! How do you take pictures with it? Do you need to program the intervals or is there another button to snapshot things?

Also what kind of UPS are you using for it?

It's the waveshare ups hat (c). They make several form factors, I just picked the one that is the same size as the zero.

And yeah, I have a udev + systemd unit that detects when I plug in my SSD drive and it fires up a script that takes images at set intervals.. so it's purely for doing timelapse stuff. The only downside is the pi can't read stills off the camera very fast, at full rez it can take a still every 1.3 seconds. I have it set to capture at 1280x720 so I can take an image every 0.15 seconds.

But 720p is fine, it still makes a nice little video.

https://i.imgur.com/gRO04xu.mp4

(driving into a storm as I crossed the continental divide near Denver last fall)

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Fuuuuck that's cool. I want one now :haw:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That is super cool! I really like the case too, fwiw.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That is really cool! :eng101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I finally finished my timelapse + camera remote shutter project and despite the case looking amateur as gently caress I'm content with it. It assembles easily, it's got a gopro mount, and it's as small as I could make it given the stuff I had to cram in there. Additional features are the camera module 3, a UPS and an RTC. The UPS so when I forget to shutdown before I turn my car off it won't lose power, and the RTC because precisely timing photos is kind of important when doing eclipses.

The big red button is to shut the system down immediately and the slider switch is to turn the UPS off/on. The LED is just for an additional blinky status as it can update a lot faster than the epaper.

It's very much a form follows function build, everything is off center or stupid looking because that's the only place it would fit.

Fantastic job!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

this is insanely excellent. I didn't know I wanted this but now I sort of want to build something similar for my wife to use recording her assembling puzzles

does it just sit there recording if you park for a while, or do you detect a mostly-fixed image and step down the rate?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

this is insanely excellent. I didn't know I wanted this but now I sort of want to build something similar for my wife to use recording her assembling puzzles

does it just sit there recording if you park for a while, or do you detect a mostly-fixed image and step down the rate?

No, there's nothing smart about it.. except maybe the startup. I wanted it to just work without any input so that's where most of the effort went. There is motion detection stuff out there though so I'm sure fancy features are possible. Upside is each frame is only 270kb so a 500gb drive can log an absurd amount of time.. like 80 hours or something.

The script that does the actual work is only 66 lines long: https://github.com/mrxzzy/rpi-timelapse

(the epaper stuff is another repo)

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hopefully someone knows this, but is there a name for that type of mount? The 2 rounded tab things with the holes in them, like you'd attach to a GoPro mount?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hark posted:

Hopefully someone knows this, but is there a name for that type of mount? The 2 rounded tab things with the holes in them, like you'd attach to a GoPro mount?

“gopro mount adapter”?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, gopro invented it so it's just "gopro mount."

Same thing happened with arca plates for cameras.. named after the company that first made them.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of the raspberry pi IPO, what's the stated goal here? I need to look more into it, are they raising a bunch of capital with the plans to make many more products? Will more capital let them avoid the manufacturing problems they've had? Why public? It's going to make more work for them and if the core vision is to keep prices down for hobbyist computers, I just don't get how this helps.

I am guessing that they want to stop relying on whatever 3rd rate cut down SOC Broadcom throws at them. Also larger capital allows for more favorable part acquisition.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
pi 5 trip report:
compiling and running GZDoom source port.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=354301

guide says "The GZDoom source code will compile in about 30 minutes (on a pi 4)" ... didn't clock it, but I'd say it was less than ten minutes. Nice. nice. nice.

Odd thing, doom 2 took about five minutes to load. Like GZdoom had a long shader compilation step. Seems like a bug.

Other thing I notice. In chromium, you can go to youtube and and click on any video to get "Stats for nerds" and you'll typically see frames dropping every second, all while the CPU usage is VERY high - like the smoothness of the mouse movement is affected.
Browse to this and compare to a desktop vs pi and you'll see some things are hardware accelerated and some not.
code:
chrome://gpu/
I haven't checked if Firefox is just as bad.

One workaround is to open VLC Crtl+N and paste in that link. Takes longer to buffer (and you should increase the network + disk buffer length) and seeking through a video is broken. But VLC takes less than 5% a CPU of a single core. You wouldn't know it's there.

Twerk from Home posted:

Right. Maybe it's a Mozilla thing where there's a commercial arm and a foundation arm. (Both of which kinda flail around uselessly :kingsley: but thats beside the point)

Then again, I don't know why ARM (chip designer) went public after several, uh, decades.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 11, 2024

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've not done a pi install in a while but doesn't default rasbian come with an extension in chromium to make youtube playback less terrible?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

presumably h264ify which blocks youtube from serving vp8/vp9/av1 streams

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coffee Jones posted:

Other thing I notice. In chromium, you can go to youtube and and click on any video to get "Stats for nerds" and you'll typically see frames dropping every second, all while the CPU usage is VERY high - like the smoothness of the mouse movement is affected.
Browse to this and compare to a desktop vs pi and you'll see some things are hardware accelerated and some not.
code:
chrome://gpu/
I haven't checked if Firefox is just as bad.

Pi 5 has very limited video hardware decode, and no encode at all. It only does h265 decode. So the pi 5 sucks as a youtube device.

Coffee Jones posted:

One workaround is to open VLC Crtl+N and paste in that link. Takes longer to buffer (and you should increase the network + disk buffer length) and seeking through a video is broken. But VLC takes less than 5% a CPU of a single core. You wouldn't know it's there.

VLC can't get dash streams, so it's limited to format 22 streams which are 720p30 and have h264 encoding. The thing that makes it work is that 720p30 is a very easy target to hit. (Also VLC is more efficient than a browser.)

If raspbian is still including h264ify, you actually don't want that. VP9 is easier to decode on CPU than h264. 4k is still gonna suck in a browser though.

What might work best is MPV, which can directly stream youtube using yt-dlp. So if you have both mpv and yt-dlp, you can try this:
mpv --ytdl-format=313+251 "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tos8lrigtXw"

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ive got a pi4 with the POEhat id like to run pihole on and the fan is loud as poo poo. if i disable the fan would that be not good?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a few pi4's in a kubernetes cluster with the poe hat and it's super random whether they're loud or not. I have one in the cluster that never makes a noise and the other one spins the fan up and down every few minutes 24 hours a day. It's not even related to their position in the case or airflow either because I moved them around trying to find a pattern. I feel like it's a dodgy sensor or quality control issues.

As for killing off the fan entirely it'll probably be fine but I guess the details depend on how hard the cpu is working. As long as the hot air can escape it'll probably survive. And if the cpu starts throttling.. well you know you need some fans.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Arson Daily posted:

ive got a pi4 with the POEhat id like to run pihole on and the fan is loud as poo poo. if i disable the fan would that be not good?

Buddy if you thermal lock your Pi4 with Pihole then you’re going to be having way way way larger problems than just heat. That said, I could see where the PoE aspect could generate enough heat to warrant a fan so idk.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Pi4 for PiHole is way overkill.
I’ve been running PiHole on a Pi1 for the better part of a decade.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

I have a few pi4's in a kubernetes cluster

You have no idea how happy it made me to read this. :love:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

eightysixed posted:

A 4 has enough grunt to do pihole and other stuff too. Mine is also a wireguard server and NAS for my MP3 library.

Note that the 4 can boot from USB media. If you've got a spare SSD lying around you can totally sidestep the technical Achilles heel of the pi family.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Arson Daily posted:

Maybe try and fine tune it rather than just disable it

https://jjj.blog/2020/02/raspberry-pi-poe-hat-fan-control/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

eightysixed posted:

I ended up getting a pi4 for pihole for the reason that I could not get a 3B at all, I bid on like twelve eBay auctions and somehow lost all of them, presumably to the same rear end in a top hat.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

YerDa Zabam posted:

Maybe try and fine tune it rather than just disable it

https://jjj.blog/2020/02/raspberry-pi-poe-hat-fan-control/

ah ill try this first thanks!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I have been considering picking up a pi5 for the sake of PiHole since it seems like the most elegant solution for how frustrating ads have become, but if that's overkill, would I be able to use it for other purposes simultaneously? Like what other things could I be running at the same time on that?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Pi 5 performance is comparable to the Atom-level chips, far beyond what Pihole needs. You could set up a console emulation frontend like Retropie, a file server, a container sandbox, a VPN gateway, or lots of other things.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 14, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cruft posted:

You have no idea how happy it made me to read this. :love:

I felt like I really needed to understand the underpinnings because so much of what I do at work relies on k8s but I've mostly only ever been a user. And a pi cluster was actually the cheapest way to get into a bare metal install.. like $100 for the poe hats and a poe switch, had everything else.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Pi 5 performance is comparable to the Atom-level chips, far beyond what Pihole needs. You could set up a console emulation frontend like Retropie, a file server, a container sandbox, a VPN gateway, or lots of other things.

I'd also argue that if you want to do those things too, you'd be better served by the Intel chip given that they cost the same amount as a Pi 5 anyway and come with an nvme SSD instead of SD cards or a USB SSD.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I agree. You don't even need to spend as much as a Pi 5 if you're willing to buy used hardware - Wyse 5070 is around $50. It doesn't have NVMe support but I think M.2 SATA is more than adequate.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 14, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Framboise posted:

I have been considering picking up a pi5 for the sake of PiHole since it seems like the most elegant solution for how frustrating ads have become, but if that's overkill, would I be able to use it for other purposes simultaneously? Like what other things could I be running at the same time on that?

Maybe try NextDNS for a month first to see if it makes a difference. DNS blocking doesn’t work on many ads.

Unless you want to get into the hobby. It rules

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Raspberry Buy a refurb HP ProDesk 400 G3 for $100~

mewse
May 2, 2006

sinky posted:

Raspberry Buy a refurb HP ProDesk 400 G3 for $100~

Geerling did a video recently where he tried to compare a pi 5 to a brand new mini pc. He was forced to concede performance per dollar is loving awful for the pi, but then charted "performance per power usage" to try and salvage anything the pi might still have going for it.

Wow 135 geekbenches per watt is so much better than 93 geekbenches per watt! This is definitely not a contrived statistic that 99% of people don't give a poo poo about!

Even with the Pi 5's higher efficiency it still has thermal issues that require an active cooler, in the video he crams in an NVME hat that barely fits in the official case and blocks the airflow to the active cooler.

Like, best of luck to the pi organization with their IPO and their business customers, hobbyists should seek alternatives if the 2-3yr stock shortage didn't force them to already.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mewse posted:

Geerling did a video recently where he tried to compare a pi 5 to a brand new mini pc. He was forced to concede performance per dollar is loving awful for the pi, but then charted "performance per power usage" to try and salvage anything the pi might still have going for it.

Wow 135 geekbenches per watt is so much better than 93 geekbenches per watt! This is definitely not a contrived statistic that 99% of people don't give a poo poo about!

Even with the Pi 5's higher efficiency it still has thermal issues that require an active cooler, in the video he crams in an NVME hat that barely fits in the official case and blocks the airflow to the active cooler.

Like, best of luck to the pi organization with their IPO and their business customers, hobbyists should seek alternatives if the 2-3yr stock shortage didn't force them to already.

Those no-brand mini PCs ship with insane BIOS settings and power limits far higher than those CPUs need to perform well. If you change a setting in the BIOS (or buy a real brand like Intel NUC) they blow away the RPi5 on performance per watt, which they should because they are several silicon processes more advanced.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mewse posted:

I give two shits about performance per watt, but I doubt I will ever buy a Pi 5. Seems like there are better options out there for what I'm after.

It seems like other companies have tried to go toe to toe with Intel before, and it usually isn't a good long-term strategy. Hell, they even put Cray out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Intel should make computers that you can use as seating areas