Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have no clue. I think it’s the dumbest thing, but whatever :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not sure a pretty clean lookin dude playin with a bunch of expensive electronicals should be calling himself Basically Homeless but its pretty funny we finally found a screensize the Rpi Zero can game on reliably.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

xzzy posted:

I couldn't stand to watch that video, so I'll ask: why does that screen exist at all? Is it meant to be magnified for a projector or something?

I assume it's something you'd put in a digital camera to pretend to be an old style viewfinder or just as a data display.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

xzzy posted:

I couldn't stand to watch that video, so I'll ask: why does that screen exist at all? Is it meant to be magnified for a projector or something?

Camera viewfinders for one (so yes use magnified), not sure what else but I bet there’s a plethora of possibilities.

efb- yea what they said

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Could make your own google glass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Camera EVF makes so much sense I'm a idiot for not thinking of that first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a cinema for ants

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone know what the part is for that screen? Something that small that is apparently 640x480 sounds expensive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005005072796967.html

Searching for this seems to list things in that category https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-micro-oled-ar.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.search.0

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

(Potential applications:... Small monitors etc.)

:hmmyes:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oh looks like they're for AR/VR things. That's pretty cool let me buy a cou-

$510??!?

Holy poo poo. Makes sense that they'd be that expensive though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah, cameras of similar size are also turbo expensive. So like if you wanted to DIY your own Apple Vision dealie, its still pretty pricey

but we def live in an era when billionaires could DIY their own aerospace surveillance programs, as a hobby.

coconono fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I could sell some plasma, buy a couple of those thingies, and pretend I'm a billionaire. No sweat :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Good news, this one is 1080 and is only 450 dollars with the driver board. Though no little lens for actually seeing it though.

https://www.displaymodule.com/produ...2QVsdK8lUO4SeII

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Good news, this one is 1080 and is only 450 dollars with the driver board. Though no little lens for actually seeing it though.

https://www.displaymodule.com/produ...2QVsdK8lUO4SeII

Whoa, so I thought 1000 nits was super bright, and I'm pretty sure it's at least enough to view outdoors in direct sunlight. I looked it up and even the iPhone 15 maxes out at 2000 nits. This screen can go one third brighter.

Doesn't seem safe, having something like that a couple inches away from your eyeballs. Why they do that :ohdear:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 5, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if the lenses are anything like the ones used in VR you lose a lot of that brightness to the optics before it gets to your eyes

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I have a pi3B and an original pi running with an hdmi to AV adaptor and an arc Modulator for each I currently power them using a 4 port usb charger plug for the adaptors and modulators and an individual power supply for each pi.

I’d like to reduce this down to one plug for the lot with a view to add more pis (with adaptors/modulators) in the future…. What’s the best way to go about doing this????

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gaz2k21 posted:

I have a pi3B and an original pi running with an hdmi to AV adaptor and an arc Modulator for each I currently power them using a 4 port usb charger plug for the adaptors and modulators and an individual power supply for each pi.

I’d like to reduce this down to one plug for the lot with a view to add more pis (with adaptors/modulators) in the future…. What’s the best way to go about doing this????

What are the power specs for the adaptors? Just power those from the usb ports on the Pis if they're low power. A hdmi-av dongle shouldn't need more than 500ma. I have no idea what an "arc modulator" is, that isn't even on google.

Then power the pis with a decent-quality 5V/2A multi-usb power supply (look on amazon for like "usb charging station" and get something with at least 10W per usb.)

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Klyith posted:

What are the power specs for the adaptors? Just power those from the usb ports on the Pis if they're low power. A hdmi-av dongle shouldn't need more than 500ma. I have no idea what an "arc modulator" is, that isn't even on google.

Then power the pis with a decent-quality 5V/2A multi-usb power supply (look on amazon for like "usb charging station" and get something with at least 10W per usb.)

I tried powering from the pi’s that didn’t seem to work, they’re RF modulators….

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Klyith posted:

I have no idea what an "arc modulator" is, that isn't even on google.
It's what you use to get to 1.21 gigawatts and go back to the future, duh :rolleyes:

Basically Flux Capacitor 2.0 :viggo:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 6, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gaz2k21 posted:

I tried powering from the pi’s that didn’t seem to work, they’re RF modulators….

ok looking it up: here's the spec

If you have an original Pi B you're screwed, they have super-limited USB power. The B+ can do more power, but you have to set a configuration option to get that. Otherwise you're limited to 600ma output.

And the 3B should always have 1200ma available shared among all ports with no extra steps needed. So if you tried powering the devices from the 3B and it didn't work you're somewhat screwed, I'd guess the 2 devices combined draw more than 1200ma. (Or you have the 3B on a 1A supply.) I'd figure you could do at least one of them though.

Anyways you should be looking up the specs for your devices, this is simple addition once you know how much power the things use.

eightysixed posted:

It's what you use to get to 1.21 gigawatts and go back to the future, duh :rolleyes:

Basically Flux Capacitor 2.0 :viggo:

oh, so you need a Pi 5 power supply for that?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, they created a new USB-C PD 5V/250MA profile for it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Is there a reason why the raspberry pi devices are on their own power supply? You may be able to get away with putting it on the same outlet as the other devices. Maybe hang one of the usb devices off the raspberry pi if you need to make room.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Zero-size SBCs with not-Broadcom wifi?

I'm looking for something in a RPi Zero form factor, with a well-supported wifi chip and a U.FL or SMA connector for an external antenna. The RPi Zero 2 W fails on both these grounds, so I'm not that excited about using it. Are there boards from other companies that are similar size, with non-Broadcom wifi?

I don't need good range or throughput on the wifi, I just need the connector so I can get the antenna outside the metal enclosure.

I would like to run OpenWRT (even though this won't be running as an AP).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The NanoPi Duo2 is on the OpenWRT supported list

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a bananapi m2 zero that was serving as an IP camera driver for awhile. It’s on the openwrt table too.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, both those appear to use the AP6212 wifi module, which I think has Broadcom guts. But hearing that they really do work on an open source OS like OpenWRT is good news. That opens up a lot of not-RPi boards for me to look at. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ryanrs posted:

OK, both those appear to use the AP6212 wifi module, which I think has Broadcom guts. But hearing that they really do work on an open source OS like OpenWRT is good news. That opens up a lot of not-RPi boards for me to look at. Thanks!

Oh drat, does hackerboards surface this info at all?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh! I hadn't seen that site before. It looks useful.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Orange Pi Zero 2W also has u.fl

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
A few months ago I was somewhat defending the 5V 5A power supply the Pi 5 has, but I have now learned it's stupider than I thought.

PPS, Programmable Power Supply, was standardized in 2016. This is the feature you use to select custom voltages and currents. This is the way that more and more supplies are able to deliver 5V 5A.

Pi 5 does not support PPS. It needs its power supply to explicitly offer that profile by default, which as far as I'm aware roughly nothing does.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Whoa, so I thought 1000 nits was super bright, and I'm pretty sure it's at least enough to view outdoors in direct sunlight. I looked it up and even the iPhone 15 maxes out at 2000 nits. This screen can go one third brighter.

Doesn't seem safe, having something like that a couple inches away from your eyeballs. Why they do that :ohdear:

For comparison, a 50% gray piece of paper held in direct sunlight can put off 15000 nits.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

It needs its power supply to explicitly offer that profile by default, which as far as I'm aware roughly nothing does.

Allow me to direct your attention to the official Raspberry Pi USB power supply, now available for you to buy. This is the 3rd official Raspberry Pi brand USB power supply released by the Foundation. Collect all three!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My Dad has failing eyesight, and has recently been getting me to unsolder/solder some chips and capacitors (like twenty year old ic’s from offset printers). I don’t know much about electronics, but am enjoying myself and it has sparked my interest in doing some basic learning. I know my single RPi 0w is not meant for learning electronics like an Arduino or even a breadboard, but I sorta don’t know where to start. I’ve seen it discussed in this thread as an adjunct to the RPis and just thought I’d ask here since I’m phone-posting and don’t have search:

1) Do we have a basic electronics thread for ignorant newbies?

2) Would it be out of line to ask here for recommendations for a basic kit off Amazon to get components & tools? I have a pretty good soldering gun and some multimeters already, but don’t want to spend $100 on a giant box of resistors when I’m just starting out. I figure some of the Pi discussions are from folks also involved in building related doo-dads and widgets.

3) Are there some true-blue books/websites or even subreddits for folks to learn the basics-for-Dummies? I know I could Google, but such a broad topic would make Google’s poor search results choke. Free is preferable while I’m still trying to see if this goes anywhere with me.

My 0w was for a PiHole a few years ago, and I have basic Linux competence with Debian-based and Raspbian from 2020ish. Thanks for any links or advice, again apologies for just asking instead of waiting to get home and start searching and looking for a basic setup.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

1: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Thanks soooo much…the links in the first post have lots of what I asked, just wasn’t sure where to look for a thread without “Search.”

Really appreciate it!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DerekSmartymans posted:

2) Would it be out of line to ask here for recommendations for a basic kit off Amazon to get components & tools? I have a pretty good soldering gun and some multimeters already, but don’t want to spend $100 on a giant box of resistors when I’m just starting out. I figure some of the Pi discussions are from folks also involved in building related doo-dads and widgets.

I know this isn’t amazon but if you’re lucky and you live near a Microcenter, they have cheaper boxes of a variety of parts that might work well for hobbyists, including components such as pir sensors, temperature sensors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, and so on.

Also, I find that sometimes an item will be on ebay for cheap and will include free shipping. So if you need a cheap $3 part and don’t want to pay another $3 to ship it, ebay might work in a pinch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

+1 for Microcenter. They’re like big box RadioShacks(RIP).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still have a spool of solder from radioshack. Every time I use a little bit of it I'm erasing nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you breath in some of the smoke you'll have RadioShack inside of you forever.