Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

It's definitely worth waiting a few weeks to get one. It's a cluster gently caress right now.

You guys need to stop with the entitlement spiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Anyone with half a brain who got one or more of these will be flipping them on eBay at horrendous prices to overexcited nitwits who can't wait an extra month or two.

If you really want an ARM box with HDMI for decent cash RIGHT NOW, there's also this little guy.
e: scratch that, those are sold out until mid march as well...

snorch fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 29, 2012

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well at least the launch wasn't as botched as it was with the OpenPandora.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

sharktamer posted:

It really was a colossal cock-up on the part of the distributors. Both failed to keep up with their traffic, but more damning is the fact that RS only offered people the opportunity to "register interest" and Farnell completely ignored the one-per-person rule that was established way before the launch. One prick on the irc channel who posted his invoice had bought six of them.

Meh, I don't fault that guy, if I could have I would have shipped a dozen to Canada and sold 11 domestically with just enough profit to recoup my costs. Capitalism!

e: probably would have saved everyone on shipping too anyways

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

sharktamer posted:

One prick on the irc channel who posted his invoice had bought six of them.

Farnell is fixing the order amounts on any logged orders.

Edit: Canadian preorder here http://canada.newark.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/dp/83T1943

Viktor fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 29, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah, I ordered mine from Newark CA this morning.

Based on the order confirmation, expect to be waiting a long time.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

Well at least the launch wasn't as botched as it was with the OpenPandora.

That launched fine, its the delivery that's botched there. Neat thing about that little dealie is that because it's taken so long to be built and sent out, everyone beyond the first 2000 orders gets 512 MB of RAM in it instead of 256 MB. Because the lower RAM amount is impossible to supply, due to the chips being declared obsolete and no longer manufactured, so they had to upgrade the RAM amount in order to have supply.

rueben26
May 31, 2001

I want to be one of the X-men!!
I'm disappointed by the CF that was the initial release. Hopefully they can get these orders shipped, count their money, and move onto better distributors.

I'm eyeing this and the Cotton Candy FXI (usb/hdmi/ubuntu/android/$199 USD).

Anyone thought about ordering the Cotton Candy?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

rueben26 posted:

I'm eyeing this and the Cotton Candy FXI (usb/hdmi/ubuntu/android/$199 USD).

Anyone thought about ordering the Cotton Candy?

It's a very interesting device but it seems awfully expensive to me.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Install Gentoo posted:

That launched fine, its the delivery that's botched there. Neat thing about that little dealie is that because it's taken so long to be built and sent out, everyone beyond the first 2000 orders gets 512 MB of RAM in it instead of 256 MB. Because the lower RAM amount is impossible to supply, due to the chips being declared obsolete and no longer manufactured, so they had to upgrade the RAM amount in order to have supply.

Where exactly did you hear that? I know the Model A got a boost to 256 MB, but this is the first I've heard of all of them models going to 512.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toad King posted:

Where exactly did you hear that? I know the Model A got a boost to 256 MB, but this is the first I've heard of all of them models going to 512.

I'm referring to the OpenPandora in that post. It's had orders delayed so long that parts became unavailable and existing orders now have spec bump because the new factory can't get 256 MB RAM chips that work with the design, they need to use 512 MB now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How is this purported to work with devices that draw power from USB? I would like to use this with something like the Blue Yeti microphone but apparently it needs a lot of power through USB. Can the RasPi power USB devices as well somehow?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Given that it draws power itself over micro USB I doubt there is very much power available over its USB port.
You could always user a powered USB hub, or some kind of booster using one of those 2x USB cables you get with hard disks.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

~Coxy posted:

Given that it draws power itself over micro USB I doubt there is very much power available over its USB port.
You could always user a powered USB hub, or some kind of booster using one of those 2x USB cables you get with hard disks.

Indeed, you can use a powered usb hub to power the RPi too, since its micro-USB power port is power only (the data connections are removed).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got one on back order. It was like buying [insert any hot geek toy] all over again. Web site up half the time? Check. Back ordered? Check. Internet angry? Check.

Now I wait till May and my tracked robot will have a new brain.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 2, 2012

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Is possible to pre-order again, or just "register interest"?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Just ordered mine from Newark as well. Hopefully I'll find a use for it other than just saying I have one. I have no idea how to use Linux at all so this should be fun.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Just ordered one from Newark. Expected ship date of 5/14. Maybe by then I will have figured out what the hell I'm going to do with this thing.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

jack. posted:

Just ordered one from Newark. Expected ship date of 5/14. Maybe by then I will have figured out what the hell I'm going to do with this thing.

Mine says Shipping today.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
That CuBox looks awesome. There's also the Netduino but I am sure most of you aren't willing to get stuck using .NET

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004
I got an email about 45 minutes ago from Newark saying my place in line to preorder was ready. It gave me a ship date of 04/03 which isn't too bad!

nickdab
Jul 5, 2008
From their website:

quote:

There has inevitably been some confusion around pricing and parts of the ordering process; within a few days, we hope to have a country-by-country summary of each partner’s policies, showing how the $35 price of a Model B translates into a final cost.

Does this mean they are going back on the price? How can the $35 price of a Model B translate into anything other than $35? Are Farnell and RSC charging extra depending on the country they are selling in? Or are they just talking about administrative costs, like shipping and taxes and tariffs and stuff?

I think the too-good-to-be-true-ness of this project makes me nervous that there is some fine print or something, even though I know that it's a non-profit effort.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

nickdab posted:

From their website:

Does this mean they are going back on the price? How can the $35 price of a Model B translate into anything other than $35? Are Farnell and RSC charging extra depending on the country they are selling in? Or are they just talking about administrative costs, like shipping and taxes and tariffs and stuff?

I think the too-good-to-be-true-ness of this project makes me nervous that there is some fine print or something, even though I know that it's a non-profit effort.

Well considering there's more than one currency... more than a few dollars, at that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

silversum posted:

I got an email about 45 minutes ago from Newark saying my place in line to preorder was ready. It gave me a ship date of 04/03 which isn't too bad!

Yeah I got that yesterday or the day before. I decided to hold off for now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nickdab posted:

Does this mean they are going back on the price? How can the $35 price of a Model B translate into anything other than $35?

On January 1st, $35 was €27.00. On Wednesday $35 was €26.19. As I write this, today $35 is €26.51

Exchange rates vary constantly, and that doesn't even get to different taxes in different countries and so on.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
ctrl-f olimex.. makes a lot of sense.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4748&PN=1

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I don't quite get why these are so popular. I would imagine most people who are interested already have, at the bare minimum, one or two low powered linux computers lying around already. I especially don't see how it can be targeted at education but doesn't even come with an enclosure... I don't think one of these would last through a semester of use/abuse by the average high school kid or whatever.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I don't quite get why these are so popular.

It's because you have a lack of imagination and/or are narrow minded.

Edit:

Think: cheap, small, powerful GPU, common platform, large community. If you still cant work it out, you need to open your mind.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 4, 2012

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

I'm just guessing that $35 or later $25 is cheaper than any computer you could theoretically give someone to practice basic programming with python on. I mean it's basically cheaper than a textbook. Plus I'm pretty sure their initial "for education" meant for teachers/the classroom and that later versions with cases would be meant for student distribution.

As for why people want them, probably because even taking a few of these to perform basic functions they will take way less room than other computers. HTPCs, Carputers, simple servers, I'm guessing someone will find a way to shove a minecraft server onto them. Low powered linux computers are still typically old hardware repurposed like laptops, netbooks, etc. and those things are huge and power hungry compared to this little thing.

Chance fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 5, 2012

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I don't quite get why these are so popular. I would imagine most people who are interested already have, at the bare minimum, one or two low powered linux computers lying around already. I especially don't see how it can be targeted at education but doesn't even come with an enclosure... I don't think one of these would last through a semester of use/abuse by the average high school kid or whatever.

For me, its the ability to have a full Linux computer at an almost trivial cost. I have lots of small projects that I either need to make a dedicated microcontroller board for, or use a full computer (which is larger, uses more power, etc). If I can buy a full Linux computer for $35, it can do everything my AVR based projects can do, but with the flexibility of a full operating system.

Other boards, like the Pandaboard, are much more powerful, but at $180 or so, I don't have the money to buy multiple boards and dedicate one to a particular project.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just can't believe they didn't put any drat holes in the board for mounting. :wtc:

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

peepsalot posted:

I just can't believe they didn't put any drat holes in the board for mounting. :wtc:

You'd be surprised how often this happens with even "industrial" equipment. At work we buy various boards for integration into larger systems and way too many of them lack simple mounting holes. I swear, the designers of some of these boards must have never tried to actually use them outside the lab.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Chance posted:

I'm just guessing that $35 or later $25 is cheaper than any computer you could theoretically give someone to practice basic programming with python on. I mean it's basically cheaper than a textbook. Plus I'm pretty sure their initial "for education" meant for teachers/the classroom and that later versions with cases would be meant for student distribution.

The problem is, after you give kids this "$25 computer to practice basic programming on," they still need another computer to run dev tools, not to mention a monitor or TV for the Raspberry Pi itself. Meanwhile, that same computer (minus the $25 board) can run all kinds of excellent, free dev tools on a much more capable system. Sure, there's a lot of value in an inexpensive embedded system specifically as a tool for teaching embedded programming, but it's just silly to try to claim that a little dev board will somehow make it cheaper or easier to teach basic Hello World programming concepts. Just because you learned to program on a C64 doesn't mean that slavishly emulating the concept is the best way to teach programming.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Space Gopher posted:

The problem is, after you give kids this "$25 computer to practice basic programming on," they still need another computer to run dev tools, not to mention a monitor or TV for the Raspberry Pi itself. Meanwhile, that same computer (minus the $25 board) can run all kinds of excellent, free dev tools on a much more capable system. Sure, there's a lot of value in an inexpensive embedded system specifically as a tool for teaching embedded programming, but it's just silly to try to claim that a little dev board will somehow make it cheaper or easier to teach basic Hello World programming concepts. Just because you learned to program on a C64 doesn't mean that slavishly emulating the concept is the best way to teach programming.

What other dev tools did you have in mind?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

The problem is, after you give kids this "$25 computer to practice basic programming on," they still need another computer to run dev tools, not to mention a monitor or TV for the Raspberry Pi itself.

Why do you need another computer? It runs Linux, it has HDMI out, it has USB. You can plug it into an HDTV, mouse and keyboard and develop right on the board.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

feedmegin posted:

Why do you need another computer? It runs Linux, it has HDMI out, it has USB. You can plug it into an HDTV, mouse and keyboard and develop right on the board.

And if you have all that already, you probably also have a computer they can use already.

Especially in an education environment, although I don't know maybe your school just bought HDTVs for every student instead of computers.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Install Gentoo posted:

And if you have all that already, you probably also have a computer they can use already.

Especially in an education environment, although I don't know maybe your school just bought HDTVs for every student instead of computers.

Monitors alone are dirt cheap these days, so there's some savings to be realized there. Could be useful.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

HDTVs are a) cheap these days (because all TVs are HD) and b) already in a lot of people's homes, even people who don't own computers (or don't want to let Junior use them), so effectively free. At that point your 'all that' is a $5 mouse and a $5 keyboard, which is pretty trivial compared to a computer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Just to add, Linux on the PS3 only had access to about 192MB of total memory (64 megs of system RAM was reserved by the hypervisor and the video ram was generally unused) and was still capable of self-hosting even if it wasn't totally ideal. Hell, even PS2 Linux was generally usable and it only had 32 megs of RAM and a 300mhz MIPS processor.

The pi developers also included the composite video output so that even people in places where HDTVs aren't the norm can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://click.e-marketing.premierfarnell.com/?qs=407472721536520d167899ae7d2c8411918b9f3a32723614509d68f8ca2b0c1c

Pre-order link, it's now shipping on a first come first served basis.