Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

I just ordered a couple C.H.I.P.s today, but they aren't coming till June :(

I'm going to try use 1 to make a pi-hole. The other, just to mess around with.
I got my C.H.I.P.s a couple of weeks ago; they're not bad, but if you want to use anything other than Debian right now you have to compile it from scratch yourself. The attached battery controller is really handy, though; after switching the polarity on the plug a PS3 controller replacement battery will run it for more than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My CHIP arrived a couple weeks ago, but it had the buggy firmware that requires an ubuntu machine to flash the special fix.

Oh, I just realized I could probably flash this with a raspberry pi...

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Down the line, I'm looking to set up a cluster of Pi's (or CHIPs or Pi 0's) for idiot hobby distributed programming projects, am I correct in assuming that on the physical end all I need are the devices with an ethernet switch to connect them? Obviously also there'd be an enclosure and power supplies, but I guess the set up would be a head that communicates between the outside world and the rest of the cluster.

I've played with clusters on the software end, but never actually built one.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Serenade posted:

Down the line, I'm looking to set up a cluster of Pi's (or CHIPs or Pi 0's) for idiot hobby distributed programming projects, am I correct in assuming that on the physical end all I need are the devices with an ethernet switch to connect them? Obviously also there'd be an enclosure and power supplies, but I guess the set up would be a head that communicates between the outside world and the rest of the cluster.

I've played with clusters on the software end, but never actually built one.

Couldn't you just use a single computer power supply and tap the 5V wires into a string of USB connectors?

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Pi 3's on its way. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/26/raspberry_pi_3/

Otherwise, looks very much the same from what the article guesses. I'm holding out a little hope it's going to make some improvements on some of the complaints in this thread.

Allegedly already on sale as well in Australia;

http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/8968660/

Cut & Paste from website incase it gets taken down. Everything else looks similar to the Raspberry Pi 2

Features & Benefits of the Pi 3
•Broadcom BCM2837 chipset running at 1.2 GHz
•64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53
•802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN
•Bluetooth 4.1 (Classic & Low Energy)
•Dual core Videocore IV® Multimedia co-processor
•1 GB LPDDR2 memory
•microUSB connector for 2.5 A power supply

Mootallica fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 29, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah the emails starting flying in just now, it's on sale everywhere already

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Technical Specification

Broadcom BCM2387 chipset
1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
802.11 bgn Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE)
1GB RAM
64 Bit CPU
4 x USB ports
4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
Full size HDMI
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socketbr
CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
Micro USB power source

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Features

Now 10x Faster - Broadcom BCM2387 ARM Cortex-A53 Quad Core Processor powered Single Board Computer running at 1.2GHz!
1GB RAM so you can now run bigger and more powerful applications
Fully HAT compatible
40pin extended GPIO to enhance your “real world” projects.
Connect a Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen display (each sold separately)
Stream and watch Hi-definition video output at 1080
Micro SD slot for storing information and loading your operating systems.
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket to quickly connect the Raspberry Pi to the Internet

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just happened to be checking the news tonight and then immediately ordered a couple. Hopefully they won't be back ordered because it looks like there isn't a lot of supply.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just needs emmc onboard storage and priced under $30 and you've got a pretty spiffy IoT platform. They've needed onboard wifi for at least two years now, glad to see that is standard.

Is the total lack of availability for the first 8 months a marketing thing or is manufacturing capability in the UK just really bad?

64 bit quad core is reeeeally interesting, that will make it 100% docker compatible. Docker containers can technically be 32 bit, but there's no formal support for 32 bit containers, they standardized on 64 bit a long time ago. Someone will come out with a base Heroku/Dokku base image soon for the RPi3 and you'll be able to spin up your Postgres, Kodi, Ember and Bittorrent containers with the click of a mouse, let it all autoconfigure and boom.

On this new chip, does the SD card live on it's own seperate bus, or does it still eat up major bandwith from the USB ports, crippling external USB storage (again)?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Is the total lack of availability for the first 8 months a marketing thing or is manufacturing capability in the UK just really bad?
It's them bringing them out when they start making them instead of stockpiling a couple million the way apple does.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hadlock posted:

On this new chip, does the SD card live on it's own seperate bus, or does it still eat up major bandwith from the USB ports, crippling external USB storage (again)?

One of the memory benchmarks seems to indicate that at least the bandwidth to main memory is much better, despite there being no memory speed difference from the Pi to Pi 2 to Pi 3.

I wouldn't hold out much hope though, the Pi 3 doesn't even have an updated GPU relative to the original Pi. Only the CPU itself is improved, and they're talking about "maybe" shipping a 64-bit build of Raspbian.

Hopefully Linux on ARM will finally start to standardize a bit, so in maybe a year or three only a bootstrap and driver set are actually needed for any particular board rather than a full distribution. I expect BSD will get there first since NetBSD is already kind of in that position.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

CarForumPoster posted:

Couldn't you just use a single computer power supply and tap the 5V wires into a string of USB connectors?

That is possible. Exact specifics of how it'll be powered are more up to the intersection of convenience and scalability. I'm more concerned if an Ethernet switch is the best / most approachable way to hook them up data wise.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wonder how long it'll take for retropie to be ported over.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

floor is lava posted:

Probably almost no time, because retropie appears to just be a bash script that installs a bunch of packages and such.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
The prebuilt image smartass. Gonna guess a couple of days compile time but with 64bit stuff who knows. Planning on replacing a 2 that's in my bartop arcade machine.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
So is this the reason behind the absolutely piss-poor availability of the Pi Zero? Almost three months after launch they are still almost impossible to find.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

eschaton posted:

Hopefully Linux on ARM will finally start to standardize a bit, so in maybe a year or three only a bootstrap and driver set are actually needed for any particular board rather than a full distribution. I expect BSD will get there first since NetBSD is already kind of in that position.

This is already the case for armhfp and aarch64. It's just the stupider ARM cores that require a ton of work, and mostly because packages aren't built with the right flags.

uboot is a mess in any case, but aarch64 is EFI, so there's still hope.

floor is lava posted:

The prebuilt image smartass. Gonna guess a couple of days compile time but with 64bit stuff who knows. Planning on replacing a 2 that's in my bartop arcade machine.

They don't need to compile anything. They just need to update their repos to point at 64 bit (it's all already built) and rebuild the image. virt-install can probably do this in 25 minutes.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

So is this the reason behind the absolutely piss-poor availability of the Pi Zero? Almost three months after launch they are still almost impossible to find.

They sold them all, then up until middle of January were making new Zeros and then switched to making rpi3s.

evol262 posted:

They don't need to compile anything. They just need to update their repos to point at 64 bit (it's all already built) and rebuild the image. virt-install can probably do this in 25 minutes.
As there is no official 64bit kernel they only need to update firmware and drivers.

37th Chamber posted:

Okay dumb question.... where are the antennas? There isn't even the cheaper on-pcb one, so I assume we'll have to buy a header/antenna/something to make that wifi/BT actually usable?

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 29, 2016

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
^^^ :downs: well I some how missed that! Thanks.

Okay dumb question.... where are the antennas? There isn't even the cheaper on-pcb one, so I assume we'll have to buy a header/antenna/something to make that wifi/BT actually usable?

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 29, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

floor is lava posted:

Retropie's current image should work fine and see a bit of a performance boost from the 1.2ghz cores. Although the Pi 3 CPU is 64 bit, if you read the raspberrypi.org blog post it says Raspbian doesn't support 64-bit and they're looking at enabling it in the future. For now the same old 32 bit Raspbian code will run fine on the Pi 3. They explicitly made the new CPU peripherals backwards compatible with the older Pi's too so there shouldn't be any code changes necessary to access GPIO, etc.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The CPU seems to be quite a bit faster from benchmarks shown, how well that translates into real-world performance remains to be seen I guess, but I'm pretty sure it's noticeable. I'm currently still quite happy with my Pi 2. The "10x faster" is in relation to the first Pi though and I honestly find it a bit of a cheap shot to use that wording, the performance difference to the Pi 2 is about 50-60% faster. (as per their word) The Pi was often compared to the C64 and such in it's early days, kinda takes you back to the old days too when there's a new one coming out that makes the old one clearly obsolete every few months, doesn't it? At least this time around it doesn't sting as much financially.

So how many of you just bought a Pi 2?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately they still have the bandwidth issue with the USB and Ethernet sharing a hub. :( Appears that they're still using the same GPU as well. Any guesses as to whether or not this version would be capable of running Android? Video acceleration was the issue last time I saw the topic discussed. Has the one developer they hired manage to get drivers up and running?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Serenade posted:

That is possible. Exact specifics of how it'll be powered are more up to the intersection of convenience and scalability. I'm more concerned if an Ethernet switch is the best / most approachable way to hook them up data wise.

Does any model of RPi do power over Ethernet? Then you could do both power and data on a single line.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

evol262 posted:

uboot is a mess in any case, but aarch64 is EFI, so there's still hope.

I don't think all aarch64 devices are EFI. For example, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the RPi3 doesn't use EFI, despite having an aarch64 CPU.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How would I go about creating a rpi that boots up a word processor and nothing else? No visible operating system or other programs. Like a console for a word processor. Could I get away with using the CHIPS thing instead? All it needs to do is process unformatted text and save it, maybe allow for export by bluetooth?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You could try clearing out your xinit.rc and just running the word processor straight from there so that it fires up as soon as X is started.

This is what I've been doing for something similar, but that also has GUI options for logoff, shutdown et. al.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 29, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

eschaton posted:

I don't think all aarch64 devices are EFI. For example, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the RPi3 doesn't use EFI, despite having an aarch64 CPU.

I'm sure somebody will wedge uboot on there, but it should be EFI by default. Probably the lazy Pi people. The HiKey is probably the cheapest A8 dev board.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

I was talking with a goon that I already had some parts to get one for retropie (wifi dongle, 32gb microSD card, a good anker 2.4mAh power supply...) and was about to order one this week. I guess I can wait a bit more and see how it goes the new one.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Hadlock posted:

al lack of availability for the first 8 months a marketing thing or is manufacturing capability in the UK just really bad?

http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-3/

quote:

The original Model B launch was plagued with waitlists, with people waiting months to get their hands on one. The Pi Model B+ was better, and the Pi 2 launch was exceptionally smooth, shipping 500,000 in two weeks. The launch of a Pi Zero was an aberration, due to unexpected demand and low-ish manufacturing quantities. There were only 100,000 units manufactured in the first run of Pi Zeros, with another 100,000 following shortly thereafter. Right now, there are 300,000 Pi 3s sitting in warehouses, ready to be shipped out around the world.

So the waitlist will be 1/3 as bad as the Zero, probably less because I can't foresee as much demand for the 3, because $35 isn't the same price as your vanilla soy latte every morning.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-3/

So the waitlist will be 1/3 as bad as the Zero, probably less because I can't foresee as much demand for the 3, because $35 isn't the same price as your vanilla soy latte every morning.
Indeed, part of the allure of the zero is it is effectively throwaway cheap.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

How would I go about creating a rpi that boots up a word processor and nothing else? No visible operating system or other programs. Like a console for a word processor. Could I get away with using the CHIPS thing instead? All it needs to do is process unformatted text and save it, maybe allow for export by bluetooth?

The ultimate stripped down way to do it is by replacing /init with a shell script. You'll probably end up in 80x24 text mode but for your purposes that could work. This may be more complicated if they're using systemd; I have some tricks to deal with it but basically systemd has subsumed udev so your disks aren't gonna show up IIRC

Edit: if none of this made sense, do what the other poster suggested and look up a guide on setting up your xinitrc file. If you have it start a tiling window manager like xmonad too, it'll automatically full screen your writing program without taking up any additional screen space.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 1, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Just learn systemd. Don't replace init. Create a trivial script (or just execute an editor) on a tty/vty with a systemd unit

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
You know, I'm actually a tad annoyed seeing the specs of the rpi3 today after having read this article go on and on about the CPU and how it would make it a "real desktop computer". The rpi2's CPU upgrade didn't make a whole lot of difference because CPU wasn't the bottleneck for much of anything you could do on the rpi1, so how is an even smaller performance jump supposed to change things? It still won't decode H265, run android, or play video in a browser window because they are too attached to the "open" GPU which isn't, and it won't be a useful fileserver, router or do much of anything requiring decent IO throughput because everything is still sitting on a single USB2 bus and it just doesn't cut it.

I actually tried running a whole bunch of stuff on my rpi2 when I first got it (to see what it was capable of), and I will list the improvements that I noticed:
  • The CPU could run armhf binaries - don't get me wrong, that's a good thing which opens it up to a lot more distro's
  • OpenELEC's interface was very slightly more responsive - this is what it is being used for now
I guess the onboard wifi and bt will be a price improvement for those that will use them and don't already have a bunch of dongles laying around. I mean atleast you won't have to worry about the thing having trouble booting with a wifi dongle attached anymore (in my experience rpi2 was actually worse for that than the rpi1 - I don't know what those USB power delivery improvements in the B+ and 2 were supposed to be because my made in china version of the rpi1b is still best).

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Police Automaton posted:

I ordered a Pi2B on Saturday. I will be sending it back when it arrives.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hadlock posted:

Is that an issue? I mean, once you have booted from the SD /boot partition, you can switch to an USB based /root and forget about the SD card... Or do I miss something?

floor is lava posted:

According to the Raspberry Foundation announcement, the OS is still 32 bit (actually, the same being used for the Rpi2) and they are checking if moving to 64 bit boosts the performance enought to be worth the effort.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 1, 2016

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
e: double post

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I wonder if openvpn would see any improvement since the Pi 3 has an armv8 CPU. There are quite a few people using them for torrenting in combination with a VPN and that'd be quite interesting. I think the upsides of a Pi are that it uses very, very little power (sadly very relevant in some countries :( ) and room and yet still can run linux, I wouldn't get one for performance or as fully fledged Desktop and they're still quite far away from that. I also do not think they're great for "trying out linux" actually quite the contrary, you'll probably get out a lot more of them if you already know quite a bit about linux. There are these ARM SBCs with SATA and Gigabit Ethernet, how well do they handle themselves in real situations that actually cause significant traffic? I'd imagine more cpu bound stuff would choke the CPU out long before the bandwidth is saturated. Anyone has any good links or even a thread on these cheap ARM-based SBCs with reviews and stuff? I find the SNR-ratio regarding them to be terrible.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 1, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Amberskin posted:

Is that an issue? I mean, once you have booted from the SD /boot partition, you can switch to an USB based /root and forget about the SD card... Or do I miss something?
At the end of the day, all the I/O on the device comes out of the USB2 <500Mbps pool.

The last time I tried to use a Raspberry Pi 2 as a desktop machine, web browsing was sloooooow, even compared to a ten year old Core 2 Duo machine. A 50% speed increase and no extra RAM isn't going to fix that. Youtube barely worked, and there is also no support (as far as I can tell) for Netflix or any of the other paid video streaming outlets.

Working youtube for things like Khan Academy seems like it should be a pretty high priority for a company trying to sell simple computers for education.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Amberskin posted:

According to the Raspberry Foundation announcement, the OS is still 32 bit (actually, the same being used for the Rpi2) and they are checking if moving to 64 bit boosts the performance enought to be worth the effort.
"How much longer can we keep trying to slow the inexorable march of progress?" Seriously, it's the year two-thousand-loving-sixteen already.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

"How much longer can we keep trying to slow the inexorable march of progress?" Seriously, it's the year two-thousand-loving-sixteen already.

And on a machine with only 1GB of RAM, doubling the size of pointers etc. by jumping to 64bit may not be the greatest choice. Ooh now my limited memory is even more limited, to no tangible benefit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Browsing is in it's own league regarding desktop usage anyways, that's where all the lower powered machines fall flat somewhere, also a bit depending on your browsing habits. Of course it's an important thing a modern desktop should be able to do.