Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Recently the media player built into my LG TV has become unstable and most files go out of sync, there hasn't been a firmware update for months so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rpi2 with something like XBMC installed, in addition to that I've got rid of my Sky subscription and was wondering if I could use the Rpi as a PVR For Freesat channels provided I got the relevant hardware. At the moment I use an openbox which is terrible for recording.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Right I've got myself a B+ set up with Raspbmc and have it connected to a 1TB Hard Drive and got it online via Wifi, I can transfer files from my main computer to the USB hard drive via wifi but its incredibly slow would I be better off getting a crossover network cable between the Pi and my main computer or just unplugging the hard drive and and connecting it to the main computer when i need to transfer files?

I got the Pi so I didn't have to have my computer on whilst I'm watching media files and can leave the Pi on permanently.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just an extra, I have a pi B+ running retropie and it works nicely with snes/genesis and playstation games.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm having a problem with my Pi with Kodi, I use it for streaming video on YouTube/genesis etc and it's recently developed a habit of stopping the video every 10-15 minutes I've tried clearing the cache with the maintenance tool addon but still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bovril Delight posted:

Does it do this with every video? I had this problem with a full 1080p where the audio would drop out then freeze the video. Stopping and restarting it would be fine for a bit. Only that one video. I have it over clocked and was thinking the massive file may be choking it or overheating it.

No issue on 720p videos.

As a general rule I only select non HD videos, it happens on pretty much every video I've watched for the past few weeks.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've got an old busted PlayStation that I plan on gutting and putting a Pi into, my hope was to crack open a PS1 to USB Adaptor and wire it to the control ports in the actual console so I could use them that way, but I cannot for the life of me get the bloody adaptor to work with Retropie/Emulation Station.

I'm relatively amateur at this stuff so any advice would be appreciated??

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I found my old original Raspberry Pi, one of the fest ones that was released, is there anything interesting I can do with it that isn’t emulation????

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
So I’ve ended up installing OSMC on my old pi, tugged it up to the 4:3 CRT I use for retro consoles and have added a flash drive with a bunch of old Disney/looney tunes cartoons.

It makes excellent background viewing for when I’m working on the computer.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Got myself a Pi Zero 2 with the intention of putting together a fun little railway timetable display but more recently I found out that Kodi will play DVD iso files as if it was a DVD player with the disc in the drive (as in full menus and features) I’ve been wanting something with that functionality (that wasn’t a pc with VLC) for a while so I’ve been trying to get Libreelec onto the Pi Zero 2 but with no luck at the moment does anyone know how I can get it to work?

I’ve managed to get it working and playing ISO’s on an old Pi 1 but it’s quite slow I’m hoping the Zero 2 will be a bit faster….

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

wolrah posted:

LibreELEC developers say that the nightly builds for Pi 2 have supported the Zero 2 for a few weeks, so grab one from here: https://test.libreelec.tv/

They did note that the RAM might be a bit tight for some use cases.

I’ve tried a few of those and only get a rainbow screen I’m not sure which one exactly is supposed to work

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’ve been trying to find some information on this but does anyone know the best way to output from a pi zero 2 W to a CRT television with scart or composite????

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Ahhhh nice thanks I don’t mind a bit of soldering thanks guys

Looking at that post that sorts the video side of things out now I just need to figure out audio.

Gaz2k21 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 28, 2021

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've been trying to put together a little project based on this post from the forums

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053580

I've managed to get a pretty good version of it running but the "pseudoTV" method mentioned in that post is janky as hell and I couldnt get it going without it crashing, I seem to have the Probnot version working well however this option doesnt allow you to interleave folders of videos it just plays videos randomly.

I've searched high and low but can't find an answer as to whether there is a way to have it interleave different folders (so i could have it play TV Show>advert >Advert>TV Show etc)

does anyone have any experience doing something similar?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I have a pi3B and an original pi running with an hdmi to AV adaptor and an arc Modulator for each I currently power them using a 4 port usb charger plug for the adaptors and modulators and an individual power supply for each pi.

I’d like to reduce this down to one plug for the lot with a view to add more pis (with adaptors/modulators) in the future…. What’s the best way to go about doing this????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Klyith posted:

What are the power specs for the adaptors? Just power those from the usb ports on the Pis if they're low power. A hdmi-av dongle shouldn't need more than 500ma. I have no idea what an "arc modulator" is, that isn't even on google.

Then power the pis with a decent-quality 5V/2A multi-usb power supply (look on amazon for like "usb charging station" and get something with at least 10W per usb.)

I tried powering from the pi’s that didn’t seem to work, they’re RF modulators….