Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

ppp posted:

You can use a range of other power sources (assuming they are able to provide enough
current ~700mA):
• Computer USB Port or powered USB hub (will depend on power output)
• Special wall warts with USB ports
• Mobile Phone Backup Battery (will depend on power output) (in theory - needs
confirmation)

I plan on using mine at my caravan (for spying on our horses), I'm going to hack apart a car cigarette lighter adapter for USB and wire it to the RPi.

Once I can actually place an order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Is possible to pre-order again, or just "register interest"?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I don't quite get why these are so popular.

It's because you have a lack of imagination and/or are narrow minded.

Edit:

Think: cheap, small, powerful GPU, common platform, large community. If you still cant work it out, you need to open your mind.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 4, 2012

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Got my pi, just deciding if it's going to be my caravan's remote sentry or a media centre at home

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Decided upon a remote sentry (access point, comms centre, sensor array) for my caravan.

So far:

Enabled SSH
Changed start.elf to high ram allocated to CPU
apt-get upgrade
Installed Samba

Looking into RPI.GPIO for Python

It's a neat bit of kit. Wouldn't recommend the default Debian install for use as a desktop PC - too slow and ram limited.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Doing a bit of overclocking, 900 CPU, 500 ram, GPU and voltage stock.

Got some spare Radeon GPU ramsinks, and stuck them to the chips on my Pi.

Runs quite warm at 700, 900 is very warm. Not going to burn you though.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Who told you it would be able to run Quake III at 60 fps at 1920x1080? The device doesn't have a fast processor or a decent GPU.

I didn't read all of this, but people are getting close here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6511&p=84202

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

So I ordered my RPi yesterday. It says expected 6 weeks until shipping. Any idea how accurate that is?

And beyond that; If I want to remote into my Pi from work and use it has a fileserver or media center should I put RaspBMC on it or Debian?

Not sure what performance will be like watching a movie and copying files off it.

I'd imagine RaspBMC could do both if you installed Samba on it.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Got my ModMyPi case today...

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

Oh cool, Hows the quality of the plastic? This is one of the cheaper cases I've seen.
I was thinking of waiting for whatever official design they go with, but who knows how long that will be(and then how long till they are available).

Solid 3mm (by eye) plastic. Comes in two halves which are clipped together, no screws. You can pick different colour halves, they don't do transparent plastic.

The design holds the Pi in place by well positioned braces. The Pi does rattle inside if shaken vertically, but it's not really an issue as you could use tiny bits of foam to keep it still.

I think it looks quite smart compared to other more lurid designs.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Got my second Pi yesterday. Office Pi!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

MOLLUSC posted:

Anyone tried the new Debian build optimised for the hardware floating point capabilities? Apparently it's a lot quicker for browsing and GUI stuff: Link

Tried it, and it's noticably faster. Still slower than most smartphones for web browsing.

They'll still be able to eek more performance out, as they've not yet accelerated 2D yet in Rasbian x-windows.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

New Pi update, which has fully dynamic overclocking to 1ghz and is approved by the Pi themselves:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008

Gonna try this tonight. Nearly 50% speed increase. Hopefully Xbian builds are out soon with it

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Xbian 0.8 was released the other day which includes the new firmware, kernel, modules and userspace.

Turbo mode (or High, as I prefer) is available.

http://xbian.org/downloads/

(incidentally, you can add all this to the previous version manually, but it's all wrapped up in a nice img file)

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

So xbian is back? The raspbmc post calling them out on code theft or whatever is gone, it seems.

They had an argument over the installer software using a shared library from the other XMBC distro. It hadn't been acknowledged. Teenager infighting ensued until the toys were put back in the pram and the project restarted.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Lukano posted:

Speaking of XBian, anyone know how to make it so I don't see kernel messages in the background / black borders on 4:3 content? I didn't have this problem with Raspbmc, and while I knew it used to be an issue with XBian, I would have thought it'd be fixed by now.

Not Xbian, but Debian:

http://forum.plop.at/index.php?topic=193.0

Worth a try?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

:siren: Raspis now ship with 512mb ram :siren:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2180

Just dont order from RS if you want them any time soon :)

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Puddin posted:

I ordered from e14 on Thursday and had it in my hands Friday morning.

My order from RS Components that I placed on June 29th, shipped about 4 hours after I ordered from e14.

I know which one I will be using again in the future.

The thread title probably needs changing to "Raspberry Pi: don't order from RS Components"

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

moron posted:

Has anyone tried running an OpenVPN server on a Pi?

I'm going to be moving abroad soon, and I was thinking of maybe setting up the Pi as a VPN server at my parents house, so I could connect in and watch BBC iPlayer, use Spotify etc. I would be the only user, and it would only be handling the sort of bandwidth that one would expect from a modest broadband connection. Would the 256mb Pi be capable of this, or would the 512mb be preferable?

Not tried it, but ram wont be an issue if that's all you're using it for. CPU shouldn't either, as the max bandwidth usable will be 50mb (half of 100mb, in then out). You'd need a fancy FTTC/FTTP connection to saturate that.

So in short, either should be fine.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Son of a Monkey posted:

I got my pi a few days ago and felt it was missing a case so I made this :

Seems to do the job - plus it should keep it ventilated being full of holes !

Nice job. What kind of building blocks are those?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

edit: ^^ reading that

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there any specific SDHC Memory Card I should be picking up for a Raspberry Pi? I just want to make sure the card I get will work and be reasonably fast.

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

I set my Pi up as a DNLA server using MinDNLA.

Setup guide here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=16352

It's nice as it works with Windows Media Player, Android, TVs, etc - not just Apple gear.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

kloa posted:

The OP is kind of lacking with information on what does/doesn't work with the RPi, but does the 360 controller and chatpad work with something like OpenELEC or Raspbmc? It would be my dream minimalist setup :allears:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

What's the cheapest and or simplest way of controlling a 240v relay by gpio?

I want to control just one relay to turn my immersion heater off and on by Pi

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

concise posted:

What is the rated coil voltage of your relay?

I've not bought anything yet.

Thinking I need to boost convert a 3.3v gpio pin to 12v, and use that on a 12v coil, 240v relay?

Or is there another cheap prefab board that will allow me to switch mains current via gpio easily.

I've seen more expensive breakout boards but they are overkill. I only need to turn on mains heater on off.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

You should be able to find a solid state relay that will take a 3.3V input and switch 240VAC for around $30 new, or less for used/eBay vendors.

Awesome, that's what I needed thanks!

The search terms "solid state relay" in ebay got me this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Sta...=item4183956daf

3-33v DC input.
30-240 VAC output at 50a.

More than enough to directly contact the immersion coil (which is high current resistive load).

Also £3? Crazy cheap.

I'll be making sure I test it heavily, rather than trust cheap Chinese kit!

e: ebay Fotek's are of varing quality. Might shop around to make sure I don't buy crap!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 5, 2014

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

You should be able to find a solid state relay that will take a 3.3V input and switch 240VAC for around $30 new, or less for used/eBay vendors.

Just wanted to say thanks again - I've built a Pi GPIO > SSR > EM RELAY > 240v device switcher.

The EM relay is required to avoid the thermal management requirements of SSRs. They tend to get very hot on heavy loads, so rather than heatsink it, it was easier to chain it to a high current EM relay I already had.

A friend recommended a MOC3020 as a cheaper/smaller option - but the SSR was cheap enough for me and comes in a solid package with screw down wire clamps. The only downsides being bigger and a lot heavier - but for my project was a non-issue.

Using cron Python scripts to switch a GPIO pin it cascades nicely down to an immersion heater (or a desk lamp in my test rig).

This is what I have today. Excuse the bad redundant wiring, I'm going to clean that up before I put it near my heater.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Frobbe posted:

Anyone here have experience using the hifiberry DAC+ ? i want to use my raspberry pi B+ as a streaming device for my stereo, and this looks like the ideal solution for that purpose. I'd also like to use a piTFT or similar, but i can't find any details on which pins the piTFT or the DAC+ use and if i can use both at the same time.

Nope, but Volumio is pretty sweet for running DACS (or for a charlatan like me, the analog output!).

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Haquer posted:

After following this thread for a while I jumped on the odroid-c1 that just came out. It's pretty drat amazing for $35 (quad core cortex A5 @ 1.5ghz and 1gb DDR3; also gigabit Ethernet).

I retired my old A110 acer aspire one I was using for a linux download box for it and am also using it as an htpc.

Yup that's got an amazing spec for the price.

Is it reliable and is the performance as expected?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

I'm another who is "meh" regarding the Pi2.

I've transitioned from the Pi to Arduino and ESP8266 for embedded work, and for a media player I'm using a SFF PC that's more powerful than "nano" sized devices.

If I did want Nano I'd go for the clone market.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Just to clarify before I throw my money at it. Is the O-Droid more powerful than the pi2? About equal? Or what?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

BrainDance posted:

That's the glmark2 score right? I was trying to make sense of that too, but isn't the note on the bottom saying that even though the Pi was scoring really well it wasn't actually fully working?

Yup, looks inconclusive - if the Pi wasn't rendering anything to screen who knows if it was actually running the benchmark and just returning early, providing an artificially high score.

No 1 rule of video creation. Avoid reflective surfaces when recording naked. :D

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Raspberry Pi 2 VS Orange Pi VS Banana Pro
by GreatScott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNA3k7g42k

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Pi's GPIO runs at 3.3v, not 5v.

I've done it using an Arduino Nano as a logic level shifter to get from 3.3v -> 5v, then a FQP30N06L Mosfet to get from 5v logic to switch 12v at decent current levels.

Mortanis posted:

Is there any easy way at all to control a fan from a RPi? I picked up my first Raspberry Pi for a small project. This is not a cooling fan, but something I need to cycle up for X minutes every hour to circulate air in a small area. Most 5v fans I'm seeing are tiny - I'm hoping for 80mm, but those are generally 12v. I've found a few 80mm USB fans, but I'm fairly certain the USB power is constant and no way to toggle it on/off. That leaves GPIO which has a 5v it looks like, but I'm not sure if this is something I can do without additional hardware.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

spiny posted:

I know this is 'additional hardware' but they are cheap enough:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3V-Relay-High-Level-Driver-Module-optocouple-Relay-Moduele-for-Arduino-/131493349440

use the gpio pins to switch the relay, and you can power up pretty much anything you like that has it's own power source.

Nice idea, got me searching and found this mosfet version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-New-RF...=item27fc0a1030

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

E: wrong thread

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 30, 2015

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

This is not directly Raspberry Pi related but right now there's a Kickstarter for a Raspberry Pi-class ARM dev board that is only $9 called the CHIP. It's based on a to-be-released refresh of the AllWinner A13 called the R8 with a 1 GHz single-core ARM Cortex A8 and Mali 400 graphics. The board will have 512 MB of RAM, 4GB eMMC flash storage, audio in/out, composite video out, WiFi (b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0, and a built-in battery controller. What I'm most interested in is an accessory board called the PocketCHIP with a battery, touchscreen display, and hardware qwerty keyboard for $49 (with a CHIP board included).

Specs are specs are spec. Which indeed do look neat.

However, do you trust these chaps with your money up front?

I don't...

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

DNova posted:

They look like regular people to me :confused:

I've been spending too long reading the Yospos poo poo Kickstarter thread...

e: one minute!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

DNova posted:

You're right to be skeptical. I am too. I am hoping they will make it happen though because I want it to be real and when/if it is generally available I will order some. That said, I did not contribute to the Kickstarter.

I've retracted some of my statement as they had shipped a previous kickstarter, but it was lower volume - this one is already at multi thousand unit level mark and there's 25 days on the clock.

Also worth noting the delivery charges add between $5-$20 depending on where you are.